• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello and Stay Safe in Extreme Heat

KFD

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances winter 2022
Via de la Plata 2024
Hi All - I'm Kelli. I live on the Camino Frances at km 59. Thank you for the add to the forum. It's a tough couple of days coming up weather-wise. On days like these we hand out free water to Pilgrims. I'll set up a table for pilgrims to refill their water bottles. Come by and say Hi!. It's especially brutal in the afternoons so I'll have a water tank out there, even if I'm not out in the sun myself in this heat. You can fill up and I'll make sure the water is topped up. Stay safe and stay hydrated. Leave early and finish early. Don't push it. The guardia civil are out on horses. Use their help if you need it. And the Red Cross is out on bicycles on our stretch between Palas de Rei and Melide. They are here to help anyone who needs it. Take care this week! Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Kelli (@KFD) - I'll be setting out on the VDLP in a little over 3 weeks (from Sevilla). The string of 40+ days forecast over the next fortnight look a bit daunting, and I'm hoping that in that time the extremes will have settled somewhat by the time we start. Even though we're Aussies and used to hot weather, it would be plain silly to walk in those temperatures, so I see a few bus/taxi trips coming up ...

Even though we're Aussies and used to hot weather, it would be plain silly to walk in those temperatures,
You have to be an Aussie to know exactly how silly it is. You can always spot an Australian on the camino. They're the ones with big hats, lots of water and a thick coating of sun cream on their faces.

I passed a pilgrim walking on the Le Puy Way near Lectoure the other day. I said. You’re Australian. Yes, how did you know? I pointed to the tube of Cancer Council sun screen attached to his pack with a carabiner. Aussies will be familiar. Led to a nice encounter. 😎

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks Kelli (@KFD) - I'll be setting out on the VDLP in a little over 3 weeks (from Sevilla). The string of 40+ days forecast over the next fortnight look a bit daunting, and I'm hoping that in that time the extremes will have settled somewhat by the time we start. Even though we're Aussies and used to hot weather, it would be plain silly to walk in those temperatures, so I see a few bus/taxi trips coming up ...

You'll love the route, and most of it is easy to walk in the dark with a good head torch!
Pre dawn starts are your friend in avoiding the heat. ;)

You'll love the route, and most of it is easy to walk in the dark with a good head torch!
Pre dawn starts are your friend in avoiding the heat. ;)
Thanks @Robo - others have advised just that. My wife and I aren't really "morning people", so that presents a bit of a challenge. But moreso I do like to look at world around me as I wander along, rather than just focus on that little white dot a few metres ahead of me. We'll leave earlier on forecast horror days (if any), and then just apply common sense. And I'm so looking forward to it ...

Hopefully it will be a bit cooler by then. Another thing to remember is that fortunately the hottest part of the day on the Iberian peninsula is the mid-afternoon (around 3-4pm), so if you start early you can still get in a good day's walking before the heat reaches its most extreme.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wish you safe walking and a cold snap! I'll be on the VdLP in January. I have adapted to the Galician weather. 40+ and I'd be done for. Enjoy your Camino and walk early in the morning. I hear it's doable at that time.

Hopefully it will be a bit cooler by then. Another thing to remember is that fortunately the hottest part of the day on the Iberian peninsula is the mid-afternoon (around 3-4pm), so if you start early you can still get in a good day's walking before the heat reaches its most extreme.
I think I read in another thread that Ender is walking the Mozarabe now and timing his starts so he can be done his daily walk by 10 am to avoid walking in the heat.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think I read in another thread that Ender is walking the Mozarabe now and timing his starts so he can be done his daily walk by 10 am to avoid walking in the heat.
I also read that. But if you look at today in Granada as an example, it was 27C at 10am and the peak was 36C at 3:12pm. Then after the peak the curve is flatter than before it (i.e. it was hotter at 4:12pm than at 2:12pm).

IMG_5018.jpeg

IMG_5017.jpeg

I also read that. But if you look at today in Granada as an example, it was 27C at 10am and the peak was 36C at 3:12pm. Then after the peak the curve is flatter than before it (i.e. it was hotter at 4:12pm than at 2:12pm).

View attachment 154975

View attachment 154976
Oh, I'm not disputing that mid-afternoon is the hottest time. Just indicating that it is possible to walk the hottest of routed in the hottest time of year if one is willing to start early enough. :)

It seems, by your charts, that Ender thinks 25° is quite hot enough for walking.

Thanks @Robo - others have advised just that. My wife and I aren't really "morning people", so that presents a bit of a challenge. But moreso I do like to look at world around me as I wander along, rather than just focus on that little white dot a few metres ahead of me. We'll leave earlier on forecast horror days (if any), and then just apply common sense. And I'm so looking forward to it ...

It's rarely 'that' dark, due to moonlight etc.
The torch is really a safety thing to avoid tripping on a rock!
It actually became my favourite time to walk.
Watching the sunrise each day was magical........

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just checking weather for my first week (starting 31 August from SJPDP) and it looks like it will be raining from tomorrow (here in the Antipodes that's Friday) right through to around next Thursday, with temps in the low to mid 20's. I'm not going to panic about walking Route Napolean in less than ideal weather; yes I am going to take the advice of the Pilgrim Office and leave only when they say it is safe to do so. But maybe the worst of the heat has passed? I have been looking forward to a bit of sunshine though - feels like this winter has gone on forever...

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.