• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello from a new Pilgrim

jennifer2012

I will be beginning the Camino in late august or early september 2012. I saw pictures of snow in the Pyrenees and wondered if anyone could comment on the weather in the mountains at that time of year. Jennifer2012

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Jennifer, in 2007 we walked from SJPDP starting on September 1st. It was a glorious 2 days walk till we arrived in Ronscevalles. Sunny all the way. However, people coming over a couple of days later, found it to be foggy and rainy.
Have a great time no matter what the weather.
Sharon

We walked from St Jean on 2nd September and it was a glorious day up to Orisson - hot and sunny. The next day was muggy and misty.
I doubt you'll have snow at that time of the year but it is often overcast and wet in the Pyrenees

Attachments

• From Orisson .jpg
    From Orisson .jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 422
  • From Orisson to Roncesvalles7.jpg
    From Orisson to Roncesvalles7.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 422
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
sharon w said:
Jennifer, in 2007 we walked from SJPDP starting on September 1st. It was a glorious 2 days walk till we arrived in Ronscevalles. Sunny all the way. However, people coming over a couple of days later, found it to be foggy and rainy.
Have a great time no matter what the weather.
Sharon

Sharon, thanks that makes me feel better. For some reason the first leg seems intimidating. Did you think September was a good choice as far as not being so crowded? I am starting Spanish classes in January and am beginning to get really excited even though it is a ways away! Jenny

sillydoll said:
We walked from St Jean on 2nd September and it was a glorious day up to Orisson - hot and sunny. The next day was muggy and misty.
I doubt you'll have snow at that time of the year but it is often overcast and wet in the Pyrenees

Thanks for the feedback and inspiring photos. I am hoping September is a little less crowded and wild but still has overall good weather. I am from the Pacific NW so rain doesn't bother me! Jenny

hi there jennifer, took off this year on sept 6th, brilliant whether the whole walk, 32 days of, at times heat wave conditions,not one drop of rain!! carried my gortex jacket for nothing, but did use it as a wind break twice.
for me the first 2 days, up and over the Pyrenees were the best two days of the Way, just beautiful. My next best favourite was walking up to o'cebrerio..... slowly. slowly and the tortoise (not the heir) can do anything!!

enjoy your preparations, i know i did and the walk was pretty good too!!, juju

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Jennifer,
It was great weather all the way in September and October. We only had difficulty with accommodation once and that was in Zubiri. We walked on and found a beautiful hotel to sleep in. A bit extravagant but worth every cent that day. There was never a problem. You will always find somewhere to sleep.
Have fun with your planning.
Sharon

Hi Jennifer,

I started walking on August 27 last year from St Jean to Leon and only encountered one day of wet weather. However as others have already stated, weather on the Pyrennes can be very changable. As September progressed, the mornings grew colder with frost and ice evident some days.

I'd recommend investing in a good poncho - Altus poncho atmospheric - is the one I bought and used while training in the wet Irish weather. I bought mine online but they are relatively easy to find in Spain. As well as being very effective in wet weather, they double as an extra, easily shed layer for colder mornings.

As to accommodation, I never found a problem getting a bed for the night, despite the fact that I started out later in the morning than most and tended to arrive later on the day as I stopped along the way to take photos of the landscape and anything else that piqued my interest.

dazzamac said:
Hi Jennifer,

I started walking on August 27 last year from St Jean to Leon and only encountered one day of wet weather. However as others have already stated, weather on the Pyrennes can be very changable. As September progressed, the mornings grew colder with frost and ice evident some days.

I'd recommend investing in a good poncho - Altus poncho atmospheric - is the one I bought and used while training in the wet Irish weather. I bought mine online but they are relatively easy to find in Spain. As well as being very effective in wet weather, they double as an extra, easily shed layer for colder mornings.

As to accommodation, I never found a problem getting a bed for the night, despite the fact that I started out later in the morning than most and tended to arrive later on the day as I stopped along the way to take photos of the landscape and anything else that piqued my interest.

It is sounding more and more like a great time to start (in Late August or September). Thanks for the poncho advice...I was wondering what to take. I am used to wet too (Pacific NW) so I don't mind walking in the rain, just don't like wet clothes. But it sounds like it can be pretty dry. Thanks again for your response. Jenny

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
jujuaway said:
hi there jennifer, took off this year on sept 6th, brilliant whether the whole walk, 32 days of, at times heat wave conditions,not one drop of rain!! carried my gortex jacket for nothing, but did use it as a wind break twice.
for me the first 2 days, up and over the Pyrenees were the best two days of the Way, just beautiful. My next best favourite was walking up to o'cebrerio..... slowly. slowly and the tortoise (not the heir) can do anything!!

enjoy your preparations, i know i did and the walk was pretty good too!!, juju

It sounds wonderful, and hopefully I will be in better shape then too!Thanks for your good wishes. J

I walked from St Jean on 30th August this year and we had one iffy day with a few sprinkles of rain. I carried my ALTUS with me every day and didn't have another drop of rain.

How different from 2007 when there were spring and summer reports of excessive rain, flooding, mud slides, paths washed away and detours from Camino paths to main roads. We had constant, torrential rain - and I mean relentless rain - for 4 days that turned paths into rivers, some rivers of mud. Wading through water and having mud suck the boots from my feet resulted in huge blisters on both heels. More wet walking and the blisters broke. By the time we left Pamplona I had to walk in my Crocs. In Logroño I bought hiking sandals and wore them for the remianing 600km to Santiago. Wasn't much rain after that but we had a few cold, drizzly days on the meseta and in the Irago mountains - so different from this year.

There is only one certainty - and that is that the weather is unpredictable so be prepared.

sillydoll said:
I walked from St Jean on 30th August this year and we had one iffy day with a few sprinkles of rain. I carried my ALTUS with me every day and didn't have another drop of rain.

How different from 2007 when there were spring and summer reports of excessive rain, flooding, mud slides, paths washed away and detours from Camino paths to main roads. We had constant, torrential rain - and I mean relentless rain - for 4 days that turned paths into rivers, some rivers of mud. Wading through water and having mud suck the boots from my feet resulted in huge blisters on both heels. More wet walking and the blisters broke. By the time we left Pamplona I had to walk in my Crocs. In Logroño I bought hiking sandals and wore them for the remianing 600km to Santiago. Wasn't much rain after that but we had a few cold, drizzly days on the meseta and in the Irago mountains - so different from this year.

There is only one certainty - and that is that the weather is unpredictable so be prepared.

Yikes! Well I will just have to see...I have trekked some many years ago and know it is what it is. Thanks for your sage advice and lets hope it is a dry year! Jenny

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
sillydoll said:

So there you have, the reason I favor trekking sandals (Tevas) over crocks. You can wear them in the evenings, and you can trek on them whenever you need to let your feet breathe, either to let your blisters dry up, or in the rain (or in extreme heat) to avoid wet friction and blisters. I always wear them with socks, and I alternate between sandals and light trail-running shoes (Salomon). Unlike crocs, they are very comfortable to walk in. I like to wear them with the straps well tightened so that they don't slide around my feet and give me good walking support.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.