• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello from Cape Town South Africa

Jane Erasmus

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ('14)
Portuguese ('17)
Ingles ('17)
Muxia/Finisterre ( 14 & '17 & '18)
Del Norte ('18)
Hello, my name is Jane and I am from Cape Town, South Africa :) I am so excited to be part of this amazing forum.....I have already learned so much from you all. Thank you :D
I am planning on doing my pilgrimage in Sept/October 2014. Not sure how to get to SJPP from Cape Town...but I have got time to find that out - in the meantime, do you suggest I learn some Spanish?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome to this amazing forum Jane. Sept 14 is not that far off. Enjoy the preparation.

Maurice de Vos

Hello, to you as well. I am planing roughly the same time frame, possibly a little later. If all the small towns along the Camino are like those in La Rioja I would definitely learn at least a little Spanish. Other than on vineyard tours I didn't hear much English last fall.

Jim.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Jane! I'm Julia... I also plan on starting my journey next fall.... Preparations are exciting. I do plan on learning some basic Spanish as I have read many blogs/stories from past pilgrims who say that English is not widely spoken / fluent and that it would be helpful to have some functional Spanish at least.

Welcome to the forum, Jane, jbear, and 19jules 74, and enjoy the planning!

Jane, yes, learning Spanish is definitely recommended. In larger towns many receptionists and waiters speak a little English, but in the numerous smaller pueblos that you'll pass through English won't be common. And then when you get to the small towns in Galicia, you'll speak to them in Castellano and they'll answer you in Gallego! It happens to us all the time.

The good news is you have some time to learn basic Spanish before you come. I might focus first on how to ask for things you need in an albergue/ hotel, menu items, parts of the body in case you hurt yourself and need to explain what's wrong, transportation terms in case you want to get a taxi.... fun fun!

Take care and God bless as you prepare.

Hi Jane
Great to hear another SA doing the camino
We are doing it this year 21 july. 2013
We are flying into Paris then with Easy jet to biarritz (very cheap)
Then train (scnf) from bayonne. Bayonne is close to biarritz and you can get a bus from the airport to bayonne station (gar de bayonne) for about one euro. Train from bayonne to SJPDP about 12 euro
You will have to book the flights and teh train as well as the accomosdation in SJPDP to be able to apply for your schengen visa.
Do contact the confratery of sant james in South Africa a lady by the name of Pam has been amazing in assisting us to get everything I needed for my visa application. You can send me a private message if you want her contact details

Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Hi Maurice
Thank you...and can't wait to hear your news when you get back from your pilgrimage.
Jane

fynbos s.a said:
Welcome to this amazing forum Jane. Sept 14 is not that far off. Enjoy the preparation.

Maurice de Vos

jbear said:
Hello, to you as well. I am planing roughly the same time frame, possibly a little later. If all the small towns along the Camino are like those in La Rioja I would definitely learn at least a little Spanish. Other than on vineyard tours I didn't hear much English last fall.

Jim.
Hi Jim, maybe we will meet and walk a bit of the Way together :)
Jane

natefaith said:
Welcome to the forum, Jane, jbear, and 19jules 74, and enjoy the planning!

Jane, yes, learning Spanish is definitely recommended. In larger towns many receptionists and waiters speak a little English, but in the numerous smaller pueblos that you'll pass through English won't be common. And then when you get to the small towns in Galicia, you'll speak to them in Castellano and they'll answer you in Gallego! It happens to us all the time.

The good news is you have some time to learn basic Spanish before you come. I might focus first on how to ask for things you need in an albergue/ hotel, menu items, parts of the body in case you hurt yourself and need to explain what's wrong, transportation terms in case you want to get a taxi.... fun fun!

Take care and God bless as you prepare.
Thanks for that really great advice - I don't need to be 100% fluent, just learn some basics...very do'able :)
Regards

Jane

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
johan.steenkamp said:
Hi Jane
Great to hear another SA doing the camino
We are doing it this year 21 july. 2013
We are flying into Paris then with Easy jet to biarritz (very cheap)
Then train (scnf) from bayonne. Bayonne is close to biarritz and you can get a bus from the airport to bayonne station (gar de bayonne) for about one euro. Train from bayonne to SJPDP about 12 euro
You will have to book the flights and teh train as well as the accomosdation in SJPDP to be able to apply for your schengen visa.
Do contact the confratery of sant james in South Africa a lady by the name of Pam has been amazing in assisting us to get everything I needed for my visa application. You can send me a private message if you want her contact details

Buen Camino

Hi Johan,
wow...nearly time to be on your way :) how exciting.
Thank you for the route suggestions, that is very helpful.
I know about the Confraternity of Saint James and have met Pam and some of the other Pilgrims at a Camino workshop. I will get in touch with them again closer to the time.
I hope you have an awesome Camino :)
Regards
Jane

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings fellow travelers, I am hoping to do my first international trip at 57 and solo to walk the Camino Primitivo in mid-July. I want to book the trip through either Santiago Ways or Camino...
Hello, my name is Wendy and I walked the Camino Primitivo in September 2022 and I’m planning to walk the full Camino Portugues from Lisbon to Santiago beginning September 7, 2024, in honor of my...
I'll be volunteering in Santiago July 01- July 15 this year with the Camino Companions who offer services for the English speaking pilgrims, announcements at mass, English Mass at the Pilgrim's...
Hello! I and my friend Cecilia will walk Camino Ingles with start 4th of October. We are so excited to our first but not last Camino. Buen Camino to all of you.
Hi my name is Bryce (Australian) and I’m doing the Camino Frances starting September 15. My wife is 57 years old and was born without her left thigh bone. She can wear a prosthetic leg for very...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.