• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

hello from Glastonbury uk

moldaviteman

hi my name is jay from Glastonbury in Somerset UK I am flying to Madrid on the 4th January 2012 and either going to walk the Camino de Madrid up to sahagun and pick up the Camino de Frances there or get the bus from Madrid and pick up the trail at logrono where I left it last only a,few weeks back before xmas.
I originally left st jean-pied-le-port on the 10th of December just gone and managed to walk to logrono, some if the albergies are shut this time of the year but a list of available ones open is obtainable from the accueil saint Jacques office in st jean pied le port before leaving France.
I met quite a few other travellers along the way mostly Spanish French and Korean.
you can get over the mountain to the monastery at roncevaux from st jean, via valcarlos which has one albergie open you need to ask around the village for the code to get in the door and someone pops in later to pick up your money,I got the code from the shop around the corner.
theirs no other albergies untill zubiri from the monastery so I advise getting out early for the 22k walk.
from zubiri it's another 22k walk to Pamplona.
the next open albergie is about 10k walk on from Pamplona its a private albergie in zariquiegui immaculate and welcoming too.
the albergie at Puente le reina is 13ks along this is where a few routes converge and your likely to meet other pilgrims coming from other directions to join the route towards Estella the municipal albergie here is amazing.
unfortunately the next open refuge at los Arcos called alberdi was very cold with outside showers and very dated and unwelcoming Better if you can to walk onto Torres de Rio.
there is two albergies in logrono one near the police station that wont let you in till 4 or another thats five mins walk off the trail and immaculate as was only opened in June.with many beds.
hope this information is helpfull. the weather was between cold windy or rainy and some days the sun threatened to come out too,reminds me of English weather in the spring or autumn.so a good time to walk.
bye for now.
buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Jay,

You are very brave.
Buen Camino to you

brilliant - thank you ever so much for your insight and experience.
Every strength and kind wish to you.
I camp near Shepton Mallet for a week each year - I also studied in Bristol and played in brass bands round Glastonbury. You are fortunate indeed to live where you do. I'd love to live down that way.
I wish you every good wish for your journey.
With fair winds and following seas I'll be back on the camino too in the, imminently arriving, next twelvemonth.

Va', pensiero, sull'ali dorate;
Va, ti posa sui clivi, sui colli,
ove olezzano tepide e molli
l'aure dolci del suolo natal!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey - a Happy New Year to you ... how fine that is, to wake up today and be thinking about packing that pack.
Have a brilliant walk ... good notes on walking in Jan would be a great resource.

You pass within a few hundred yards of a good Decathlon as you leave Logrono, should you need anything.

Ultreiya!

Most read last week in this forum

On the Camino Del Norte. Surprised by the amount of pilgrims. Many mature pilgrims, like myself with a few Caminos under their belt, mostly appear to be staying in hotels. If staying in hotels be...
Hi I just joined and will be doing a solo walk from SJPP to Finisterre in May Jun 2025... long time to go yet but VV excited ... will be finalising dates and flights from Canberra as soon as...
For those of you who are using the ATM colour chart. One bank is suggested at less than 2 Euro when in fact was 4.50 Euro per withdrawal
Hello Pilgrims, I am Brendan an Australian Scot. I am new to the forum, but not new to the Camino. On Tuesday May 28 I will start on my seventh Camino the Norte from San Sebastián. I will try and...
I am looking for people who want to walk the camino del norte in may 2025 - starting from Irun, Bilbao or another place. Nice to hear from you.
Oh oh oh, After more then seven and a half weeks of rain in Belgium and France, last week weather is better, I walked into Irun today! 🙏 Feels like the last nine weeks my life was in a fridge but...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.