• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello from Jacquie and Murph the terrier...

jacsprat

who will be cycling the Vezelay route fully loaded and unsupported this September. Murph will be riding in a cushy front pannier, me - I'll be on the cruelly hard touring saddle doing all the work!
I'm originally from Alberta in Canada, but now based in the UK. Murph and I have been on a couple of shorter bike tours together and I reckon we can manage the full 1800 kms (EEP!). We will take our sweet time. We'll probably wild camp as much as is comfortable and use municipal sites when convenient. The odd warm, dog-friendly hotel room will be welcomed as well.
I'm hoping the spiritual aspect of the Camino will come alive for me on the way. Though I am not a member of any religious group, I feel the strong, communal pull of this pilgrimage and am very much looking forward to whole experience. If you see us, please say hello!!!
Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Jacquie and Murph.

What a wonderful trip for you two! Or maybe not... At least you are going prepared to camp if you can't find dog-friendly lodgings.

I think you will take 4 weeks for the 1800 kms. A nice relaxed 65 kms per day. It is a wonderful journey. Because you will be travelling faster than the walking pilgrims, you will only meet people once. Your evenings and lunch stops will be your opportunity to connect with people, and by that experience, connect with the Holy.

Have a fantastic Camino.
David, Victoria, Canada

skilsaw said:
Hi Jacquie and Murph.

What a wonderful trip for you two! Or maybe not... At least you are going prepared to camp if you can't find dog-friendly lodgings.

I think you will take 4 weeks for the 1800 kms. A nice relaxed 65 kms per day. It is a wonderful journey. Because you will be travelling faster than the walking pilgrims, you will only meet people once. Your evenings and lunch stops will be your opportunity to connect with people, and by that experience, connect with the Holy.

Have a fantastic Camino.
David, Victoria, Canada

Thanks David,
I'd probably walk (a shorter route) if there were no Murph, but I have 6 weeks - too long to leave my friend behind. She's a fun, adventurous companion - so cycle it is, knowing that it will limit contact with other pilgrims. But I'm sure there will be many cyclists that I will befriend along the way. Sept is a popular month to travel this way.
Thanks for your good wishes!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Jacquie and Murph

It will be quite an adventure for sure! Do look out for farm dogs; they can be aggressive. And just out of curiousity, Murph, do you have a rain poncho ?

If it is possible, and if you wish to, do post on this forum your progress and your (mis)adventures of your journey. We would love to hear from you.

Have loads of fun, and buen camino
Rebecca

RestlessRose said:
Hi Jacquie and Murph

It will be quite an adventure for sure! Do look out for farm dogs; they can be aggressive. And just out of curiousity, Murph, do you have a rain poncho ?

If it is possible, and if you wish to, do post on this forum your progress and your (mis)adventures of your journey. We would love to hear from you.

Have loads of fun, and buen camino
Rebecca

Thanks Rebecca -
We're both well-seasoned backpackers/touring cyclists. Murph has more hi-tech ultralight protective clothing than me, along with a comfy and spacious watertight travel basket. I know some people worry about a dog's well-being on the Camino, but mine is portable and travelling in luxury - no worries required!
As for aggressive dogs, I'm much more worried about aggressive motorists. We'll be careful though -

I hope to put together a comprehensive blog and photos. I'll certainly post the link here and hope the information will be of use to future pilgrims.

All the best!

Jacq and Murph

Dear J and Murf:

I will not see on your journey since I, (a fellow Canuk) will be starting the stroll a bit later in Le Puy - "Un camino partial en francais"

I am not, like you part of a formal religion and in fact my previous walk, about ten years ago turned me off formal connections with religion - there was no harmonic convergence. But... I am back. My previous experience has become a point of reference for me. I am walking again during my 60th year. The connection, ten years ago and now, is a 1000 plus years of the tradition on journey, expressed through the pilgrimage - I am part of that tradition, big time. I believe it is a connection that makes us all truly human.

Hopeful, the Murf is good at begging. That is holy..... and it will reduce the costs.

Frood

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Dear J and Murf:

I will not see on your journey since I, (a fellow Canuk) will be starting the stroll a bit later in Le Puy - "Un camino partial en francais"

I am not, like you part of a formal religion and in fact my previous walk, about ten years ago turned me off formal connections with religion - there was no harmonic convergence. But... I am back. My previous experience has become a point of reference for me. I am walking again during my 60th year. The connection, ten years ago and now, is a 1000 plus years of the tradition on journey, expressed through the pilgrimage - I am part of that tradition, big time. I believe it is a connection that makes us all truly human.

Hopeful, the Murf is good at begging. That is holy..... and it will reduce the costs.

Frood

I hope you and Murph will stop in Moratinos when you pass through. We have four Camino dogs of our own, and a cat whose name is... Murphy! Usually everyone gets along just fine.

We´d love to hear of your adventures, and check out the latest in canine rainwear!

Reb.

Rebekah Scott said:
I hope you and Murph will stop in Moratinos when you pass through. We have four Camino dogs of our own, and a cat whose name is... Murphy! Usually everyone gets along just fine.

We´d love to hear of your adventures, and check out the latest in canine rainwear!

Reb.

Great Rebekah!
Thanks for the invite. Barring hurricanes, floods or volcanic erruptions, we'll stop in. Took a peek at your blog - can't wait to get stuck in to the whole thing.
I have no set schedule and don't intend to saddle (boomboom!) myself with one, but shoud be in your neighboorhood around the end of September. Can't wait to meet your brood!

All the best,
J & M

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Frood said:
Dear J and Murf:

Frood

Hi Frood -
So many Canucks chatting and no mention of beer or hockey!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. As I stroll through the forum, I'm beginning to feel the weight of my agnosticism! - and that one's lack of connection to Catholicism is a major issue for a great many. I'm certainly feeling humble about my intentions, but I don't want to be a hypocrite! My desire is to remain sensitive to the genuine religious pilgrims whilst simply being myself - and keeping open mind and heart. I'm not looking for conversion - just an open connection with nature and my fellow strugglers. Here's to hoping some of the accumulated cynicism (on all sides)will evaporate en route!
Bon chemin!

J:

You are interesting.

Recently, I have been intrigued by Karen Armstrong's work to engage in a dialogue on compassion. Take a look at the results, expressed in the Compassion Charter - google it. In a way, this may well be a point of reflection on my upcoming walk.

You might also be interested in the writing and thinking of Bishop Sprong, a retired Episopalian, sort of leftie theologian from New Jersey. Mainstream Anglicans seem to be horrified by his thinking - a good reference. Perhaps a point of reference if you are so inclined.

Enjoy

Frood

Frood said:
J:

You are interesting.

Recently, I have been intrigued by Karen Armstrong's work to engage in a dialogue on compassion. Take a look at the results, expressed in the Compassion Charter - google it. In a way, this may well be a point of reflection on my upcoming walk.

You might also be interested in the writing and thinking of Bishop Sprong, a retired Episopalian, sort of leftie theologian from New Jersey. Mainstream Anglicans seem to be horrified by his thinking - a good reference. Perhaps a point of reference if you are so inclined.

Enjoy

Frood

Thanks Frood - will definitely look it up. In France now visiting family (Burgundy) and will head up to Vezelay tomorrow to find a guide or two. Counting down the days to departure.
Have a wonderful trip if I don't 'chat' to you sooner!

Jacquie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.