• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello from Michigan, USA

SaberMom

Time of past OR future Camino
Someday Camino Frances
Hello! I'm Michelle. I have been lurking here for about 6-8 months, reading about all of your adventures and finally got the nerve today to join and become a part of this wonderful community.

I have done some searches on the forum, but I haven't yet found any threads that would relate to my specific situation.

Five years ago I lost the ability to feel my legs while walking and was soon diagnosed with Neuromyelitis Optica. The best way to describe it as Multiple Sclerosis x 10. In fact, it used to be known as the 'severe form of MS' but is now its own separate disease. The disease attacks my optic nerves and my spinal chord and can cause paralysis and blindness. I have weakness in my legs, and I am blind in one eye. I walk without issues now, but my legs are still weak.

Despite that, I feel really called to do the Camino. I heard about it about 10 years ago, and was fascinated by it, but since my diagnosis it calls more and more to me. I am a very religious Catholic, so I'm sure that's a part of it too.

I've never been athletic, though in 2014 I decided to run 14 5k races to give my disease the finger. I ended up doing 23 races walking as fast as I could. When I ran, my right leg would trip, so I walked them all. Of course, each race caused me to have 1-2 days of recovery time, which meant for me, 1-2 days in bed.

My husband is one of my doctors and he thinks I'm NUTS for wanting to do this. I don't do well in the heat (I will stumble and I sometimes have a hard time speaking) and that's a big factor. He's also worrying about safety, getting medical help (if needed) and me getting the necessary rest I'll need. To add to all of this, I am on immune suppressants, so I need to stay away from sick people.

So, knowing all of that, you're probably thinking, "yeah, you're nuts", but my thought is that what's the point of living if you don't actually LIVE? I'm 46 years old. Who knows when this disease is going to take me? I don't want my obit to say, "Born on this day, died on this day. That's all we got."

Any advice for this wanna be pilgrim?

(Oh, and I've never been out of North America, nor do I speak Spanish or French, but I'm all about learning and have my kids' high school language books right here). ;)

Thank you all and Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The heat issue is avoidable by traveling shoulder season. Frost starts in mid November. You can expect snow in Mountains at end of October. So that's one issue.

I took Spanish lessons at a Spanish language school prior to travel to Patagonia. I wanted at least enough to get on the right bus. I can recommend Don Quijote and Enforex as having a good program. You might want to take a month of classes to get a basic level of speech. Lots of people walk the camino without Spanish ... however there is no gaurantee that anyone you might call upon for help will speak English. Most Caminoists are Spanish or come from other European countries such as France where English is not widely spoken.

You need a plan B in case you can't do the walk. Changing flights because you need to go home early can be expensive.

Spain is a modern country and has a good medical system should you need to use it.

Most albergues involve dormitory accommodations reminiscent of military barracks. If one person has a cold then everyone is at risk of getting it. You might need to figure out how to stay at hotels where you can get a private room ... and that might be a problem in some of the smaller villages.

I don't know what to say about your physical challenges. Sometimes willpower overcomes obstacles ... on the other hand the camino is just a walk in the countryside ... nothing worth beating yourself up for.

And, oh yeah, there is a camino in California ... in case you wanted to try it without the additional risks of international travel. http://www.californiamissionguide.c...l-camino-real/el-camino-real-mission-walkers/

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello and welcome, Michelle! Now that you're 'out' ask away--you'll get lots of answers!

It sounds like you camino has already begun.
There will be many here who will understand your calling and ho won't think you're crazy at all. To be sure, you have more of a challenge than many of us can imagine--but others have done it and you'll find a way too, if the intention is strong enough (as it sounds like it is).

I met a very inspiring Korean peregrino who was partially paralyzed in one leg from Polio and he walked every day, until he ran out of steam and needed to stop (or take a taxi). So it's difficult , but do-able--and you'll need flexibiliy and ingenuity--and perhaps help from others.

A few random suggestions in no particular order: an open-ended time frame will help, if that is possible. That way you can take the time you need without pressure. And of course poles are in order--they help immensely with balance. If you need medical care there is no lack of good facilities, especially in the cities--Burgos, Leon, and Santiago itself. But your faith may be the medicine you'll need the most.

Because of the immunosupressants, where to stay may be one of those things that need flexibility--but on the Camino Frances there are so many options, including single rooms in private albergues--giving you the best of both worlds--privacy and camaraderie.

One simple thing to deal with is the heat--spring and fall are cooler and less crowded than summer. And on the Frances, you 'll be fine with minimal Spanish. no problemo!

Along the way you'll undoubtedly inspire the rest of us peregrinos who merely have the usual aches and pains!

Buen camino and ultreia, peregrina! Please let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
You have already gotten good advice, the main challenge I see is getting travel insurance with your pre-existing condition. Have you done any research into that?

Also, I would suggest to contact your local Camino chapter (if there is one) list here http://www.americanpilgrims.org/local-chapters
I think you might want to look into finding somebody (ideally a Spanish speaker) to go with you and they might be able to help.
And just for the record, no, I don't think you are nuts!
Buen Camino, SY

I don't want my obit to say, "Born on this day, died on this day. That's all we got."
I love what you have written, and urge you to do what you can on the Camino, but don't do it for the obit. :):) Do it because you will enjoy it as you challenge yourself.

Use no yardstick but yourself; not guides, not advice, and no opinions. ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

(Oh, and I've never been out of North America, nor do I speak Spanish or French, but I'm all about learning and have my kids' high school language books right here). ;)

Thank you all and Buen Camino!

I can offer some advice. Start training. In your case, some advice from your doctor will be essential. For me, the training was as important as the Camino itself, since it represented the beginning of working towards a clearly defined goal. Necessary work you must complete before setting off. Making it to Santiago is not just 35 walking days, the effort starts long before then. It starts with the commitment to yourself. It continues on with planning dates and booking flights. You start walking daily. You buy equipment, and start carrying it on your walks. You extend your distance, and add hills into the mix. You try different shoes. You measure your progress, and see an improvement in your endurance. You suffer setbacks from injury. You recommit yourself to working through it, to achieve your goal. You fuss with rain gear until you realize that (as Oklahoma Jim put it) we're not made of sugar and rain can't stop you. You find out why so many people will pay $80 for a good hat. You develop the physical strength, but also the confidence you need to set off into the unknown.

Fret over the planning but not too much. Those of us that have completed the Camino know that most of the worry is unnecessary. Know what your limits are before you leave, and act accordingly. Its perfectly possible to walk 10 K per day, or to bus every other day if that's all you can manage. The Camino truly does provide a wonderful infrastructure, and those with physical challenges can take whatever pace they can manage. You will find kind and helpful people along the way. You certainly will have an experience that you will never forget.

Hi Michelie, the call to walk is a powerful one!
A few things you may wish to consider. Do your Camino from Sarria to Santiago. It is just over 100k with lots of people around and good infrastructure. Definitely look at the links that will provide you with options for private or semi private accommodations. Make sure you have all your medical information translated into Spanish so any emergency assistance won't have to rely an a poor translation. Consider using luggage transport to reduce the load you are carrying.
You sound incredibly motivated. I wish you a wonderful Camino.
Diane.

Oh you all are just so wonderful!! Thank you all for the kind advice.

It will be a good two years before I will be financially able to go, but I "started" my camino August 1st. I have been walking daily, albeit slowly, very slowly and set up an automatic savings account to start saving up for airfare, etc.

Again, thank you all!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.