• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello from Poppy

VikingQueen

Time of past OR future Camino
(2013)
Hello Everyone,

My name is Poppy and I live on my sailing boat 'Free'. At present I am overwintering in Amsterdam until April when I plan to sail north for Scandinavia. It has always been a dream of mine to sail to Lapland and experience the Northern Lights in solitude.

Another one of my dreams has been to walk the Camino ever since I read Paulo Coelho's book 'The Pilgrimage'. A series of profound experiences have left me questioning my faith, not just in God, but the whole of humanity and my place in it.

I hope to learn from you about all aspects of the Camino, from preparation, to experiences both physical and spiritual. I know it will be tough for me at 55, but I took early retirement to sail and explore the limits of what I can do here on Earth. I take nothing for granted.

My aim is to leave my boat in Northern Sweden in August and aim to begin from Notre Dame in September. After that it depends on a multitude of events, many of which will be beyond my control.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Poppy
welcome to the forum, wow sounds like a great journey your embarking on,I wish you all the best and Buen Camino,please if you find the time try and share the journey with us
keep living the dream
Ian

Hello Ian,

Thanks for your response!

Yes, I will try to live the dream for what else makes sense? I have always wanted to do this and am delighted to find this website with so many experienced walkers...

You've probably gathered by now if you visited my website that water is my favoured element but the Camino, resonates deep down in my heart.

I bought my boots and rucksack today as I am visiting London. My aim is to break in the boots before next September when I plan to start. It felt as though I had taken the first step on the way, metaphorically speaking!

Poppy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Poppy, congratulations on living your life!
If you want to tie up at Santander instead, I know a kindly former pilgrim who works at the port.

Reb.

Hi Rebekah,

Thanks for that and your kind offer!

I have still a lot to do in Scandinavia yet before I migrate south, but I'll probably end up in the Canaries one day due to the cost of fuel bills in the North.

However, for the next ten years of my life... God willing... I want to walk pilgrimages and meet like minded folk to share stories and experiences. I hope to split up the walking and sailing, but we'll have to wait and see what happens!!!

Poppy

Welcome Poppy,
Yes sailing is just wonderful, had nine for seven years & many miles up & down the north-east of england coast, & finally a trip to Brittany & back, now sold. Are we able to see a picture of your ship? Hope you enjoy our forum.
Buen Camino
David

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Poppy,
Oh I was sailing from Blyth, Athena, now back in Maldon.
small world.
Shame you are not allowed to burn wood.
David

Attachments

• Untitled 2.jpg
    Untitled 2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 104
Good lines, David. Very fast and good to windward... yes?

I'm not surprised you miss sailing. 'Free' is a dumpy old thing, but very seaworthy and a half decent sailer too. She looks after me in heavy weather which is important as i am single handed.

I spent a winter on the Hythe in Colchester.

Yes, I miss my wood burner!

Poppy

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
& reaching too, but she didn't enjoy a lumpy sea going to windward. I had such a good time, no complaints, just wonderful memories. Yes lumpy boats are safe, Warmer too! You have had a wonderful time on 'Free' too. Well Done Poppy.
David

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.