• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello from South Africa

seekingserenity

Newbie checking in!

I woke up last weekend with the singular thought that I had to do the Camino - and I'm not even sure I know why yet. Perhaps the reason will only be revealed as the journey unfolds. But here I am, and starting to both investigate and plan. I'm aiming for August/September 2007, currently in info-gathering mode.

Looking forward to hanging around here, eavesdropping and learning.

Michelle
South Africa

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
camino

hi, Follow your dreams, if you have a choice I would HIGHLY recommend another month if you have a choice. I would do Sept.Oct and better yet I went in May/June. Less crowds and the FLOWERS and green fields were amazing. I thought the messeta was stunning!!!
Planning is the fun part.
dawn in canada

Thanks for the advice Dawn. I'm still planning far in advance, so the dates are flexible. I just want to make sure it's not too wintery, nor too hot - and at the same time have a whole lot of planning to do. Finances to organize, work to chat to (or doing this "between jobs") and a long list of things to check.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you are still in planning mode I recommend the via de la plata. I did it this may june and found it magical. It is longer but it is well waymarked.
regards
kevin

Thanks Kevin - that is one of the options I'm considering and will be looking at later today in info-gathering mode. I'm not yet sure how much time I can take though - I'm a single mom and the early-teen kid is staying home, so will have to ensure he's cared for, fed etc. and not spend forever on the road. As much as I'd like to... :)

Can't help putting in anothre plug for VDLP. It took me 42 days-includes 1 rest day whereas the French way is about 31 so it's only an extra 11 days. But more importantly the reason I chose the vdlp route is the recommendation of the confaternity of st james which said that the french way was getting too crowded. I've seen one or two photos of a whole line of people outside arefugio waiting for a bed-something you wont find on the vdlp. I aim to do the french way next year but am a bit apprehensive about the crowds.
all the best
kevin

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The camino francis is ok, if one chooses to go off season, meaning any other month than july and august. i went in may/june, there was only 2 lineups and that was because the place didn't open till 3 and people wanted to stop at
dawn. we all got beds.

Choice of Route

Choice of route also depends on where your interests might lie. I have an interest in the Jesuits, and it will be interesting to travel through the Navarre where St. Ignatius Loyola and St. Francis Xavier did their own pilgrimages along the Via Frances.

I also have a strong attachment to Benedictine spirituality. I believe there are a number of Benedictine communities along the Camino Frances. Are there a similar number of them along the Via de La Plata?

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm still deciding which route to follow and whether it will be Aug/Sept or Sept/Oct (probably the former, although I know it's more crowded then). Right now I'm doing sums to see whether I can afford both airfare there and the food/stay/travel requirements for the entire 2 months - and still keep the kid in food etc at home! But having just seen a travel agent, I think I can do it...!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Greetings to everyone, my name is Emre, I am actually from Turkey but I am currently doing an internship in Paris. I have had experience with routes such as the Lycian Way before, so I think I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.