• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello from the WHW!

CaminoCamarillo

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2020)
Hola! My name is Christopher, I’m 32 years old and I plan to walk the Camino Francés in 2020. I’m currently sitting at the airport lounge in Amsterdam waiting for my flight home to sunny California. I just completed the West Highland Way + The Great Glen Way in Scotland, as well as some side trips up Ben Lomond and Ben Nevis. 220 miles total with its highs and its lows.

This trip was been a goal of mine for the last year and a half; a motivation to lose weight, get in shape, eat better, and rekindle my love of the outdoors. I trained, I ran, I hiked, I walked and now it’s over...

I was fortunate to have two walking companions on my first day, Beth (from Pennsylvania?, 5x Camino veteran?) whom I’m fairly certain is active on these forums, (I’ve titled this post to catch your eye), plus another women from Spain. I credit both of you two for this:
I had briefly read about the Camino but I didn’t understand the Camino until finding these forums.. growing up with the Sierra Nevada’s as the traditional summer hiking trails - the idea of waking through large cities and proximity to busy roads (those were my perception at least) was a turn off. I put “wilderness” on a pedestal and thought I was better than others for seeking it (& solitude) out. The truth is, I wanted a social walk, the WHW was exactly that and after hearing Beth’s experiences it made me take a second look. And boy, all my preconceived notions were wrong!

The Pilgrim ethos/mindset is something I’ve failed to articulate my entire life. Finding this forum has been eye opening and instilled a profound calling. “A Pilgrim is grateful...”

Thank you all for sharing you’re experiences. I needed a new goal/motivation and now I am dead set on doing the Camino Francés in 2020.

Now, after a month away I have to break it to my boss I want 40 days off next year... should I wait at least a day? Lol.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola! My name is Christopher, I’m 32 years old and I plan to walk the Camino Francés in 2020. I’m currently sitting at the airport lounge in Amsterdam waiting for my flight home to sunny California. I just completed the West Highland Way + The Great Glen Way in Scotland, as well as some side trips up Ben Lomond and Ben Nevis. 220 miles total with its highs and its lows.

This trip was been a goal of mine for the last year and a half; a motivation to lose weight, get in shape, eat better, and rekindle my love of the outdoors. I trained, I ran, I hiked, I walked and now it’s over...

I was fortunate to have two walking companions on my first day, Beth (from Pennsylvania?, 5x Camino veteran?) whom I’m fairly certain is active on these forums, (I’ve titled this post to catch your eye), plus another women from Spain. I credit both of you two for this:
I had briefly read about the Camino but I didn’t understand the Camino until finding these forums.. growing up with the Sierra Nevada’s as the traditional summer hiking trails - the idea of waking through large cities and proximity to busy roads (those were my perception at least) was a turn off. I put “wilderness” on a pedestal and thought I was better than others for seeking it (& solitude) out. The truth is, I wanted a social walk, the WHW was exactly that and after hearing Beth’s experiences it made me take a second look. And boy, all my preconceived notions were wrong!

The Pilgrim ethos/mindset is something I’ve failed to articulate my entire life. Finding this forum has been eye opening and instilled a profound calling. “A Pilgrim is grateful...”

Thank you all for sharing you’re experiences. I needed a new goal/motivation and now I am dead set on doing the Camino Francés in 2020.

Now, after a month away I have to break it to my boss I want 40 days off next year... should I wait at least a day? Lol.
Congratulations! We share the same treks and Sierra Nevada living. I think you will enjoy the Camino and it will be a refreshing contrast to the wonderful hiking in Scotland.

Another note, just thought of it: my wife has short slide shows of the treks on my website regspittle.com
Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

On the Camino Del Norte. Surprised by the amount of pilgrims. Many mature pilgrims, like myself with a few Caminos under their belt, mostly appear to be staying in hotels. If staying in hotels be...
Hi I just joined and will be doing a solo walk from SJPP to Finisterre in May Jun 2025... long time to go yet but VV excited ... will be finalising dates and flights from Canberra as soon as...
For those of you who are using the ATM colour chart. One bank is suggested at less than 2 Euro when in fact was 4.50 Euro per withdrawal
Hello Pilgrims, I am Brendan an Australian Scot. I am new to the forum, but not new to the Camino. On Tuesday May 28 I will start on my seventh Camino the Norte from San Sebastián. I will try and...
I am looking for people who want to walk the camino del norte in may 2025 - starting from Irun, Bilbao or another place. Nice to hear from you.
Oh oh oh, After more then seven and a half weeks of rain in Belgium and France, last week weather is better, I walked into Irun today! 🙏 Feels like the last nine weeks my life was in a fridge but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.