• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello - introduction

duncan pm

Hello - I'm Duncan.
A linguist and former teacher, I first cycled much of the Camino 20 years ago. I walked the Camino with my wife and then cycled it with a friend 14 years ago.
After 10 years of illnes I am once more finding my mind drawn back to the Camino.
Quite possibly late winter in the first few months of 2012.
I hace appreciated what I have read thus far on this forum - it sounds like much has changed, most especially numbers, on the Camino in the long years since I last travelled the route.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Greetings Duncan.

Be prepared for culture shock. My first Camino was in 1998 and then I didn't back till 2004. The changes in those 6 years were enormous.

Since then I have walked a section of the Camino every year and subtle changes are always there.

It is a bit like returning to a distant relative's house every summer for a short holiday and noticing the changes in the house. It's still the same four walls and roof, but it is not quite the same house.

As someone who is chronically ill with diabetes the developments have not been unwelcome. Distances between albergues have in many places shortened and the quality of them has, genereally, improved. There seem to be more shops which supply food and drink and some of the villages which previosul didn't have bars now have them.

If you already know this please forgive me for saying what you already know, but many of the private albergues and many of the shops mentioned above will be shut over the winter months. Have you taken that into account? Ditto the cold and wet weather and the effect of the lack of warm bodies in cold albergues, some of which may be damp? (Though in December 2010 the municpal albergues between Sarria and SDC had so much heating on they were too warm for my liking!)

Do tell us more.

I was born in Doncaster and returned to live there between 1983-1990 so I know bits of South Yorkshire very well indeed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.