• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello...new member...leaving from San Francisco, CA to SJPDP March 15, 2015.

Mary Sue

Time of past OR future Camino
March,( 2015)
Hi fellow pilgrims. I've never hiked or carried a pack so all your information is greatly appreciated. I can only walk part of the Camino Frances and will finish the second half next year. I am shy and a little nervous about going to a foreign country. I speak very little Spanish but I have been practicing. Thank all of you for the words of encouragement. See you on the trail.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola and welcome to the forum

There is nothing wrong in being a little shy and nervous, so do remember that you only have to be yourself on the Camino.
Try to focus on one thing which is to get to your starting point and take it a day at the time.
You will meet many pilgrims and kindness and many people discover new or forgotten strength in themselves which may be part of the transformation that many pilgrims experience.

Regarding your nervousness, you may want to use this forum to get some extra reassurance.
To post a little about yourself; height, weight, physical condition, gender and the backpack and gear you are planning to take with you, will result in suggestions that will confirm your choices or add some that you have not thought about.
This way, you will not have the practicalities to burden you so much, and make you focus on the simpler and easier things; which would be walking, talking, eating and sleeping.

Do not worry to much about your Spanish. Many pilgrims do not speak a word of Spanish, so you are already ahead of many.
And if needed, many Spanish people speak some English although you may need to use a little time to find the right person.

Think of it as a marvelous adventure is about to begin, approach it with an open mind and bring the best of you.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Welcome. I expect the time till your departure will fly, and you will worry you won't get everything done. Try and balance the three elements of your preparation, mental, spiritual and physical. If you are already strong in one, attend to the others more, but don't neglect any one completely.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
hey Mary Sue. They won't eat you in Spain :D. It is a civilised country.
Read all the information on this forum from many experienced hikers they went before you and did not end up in the cooking pots of the Iberian tribes but arrived safely back home looking back at their most wonderful experiences and memories of walking the camino.
Enjoy it.
Buen camino

Last edited:
:) Bravo! Albertinho.
Mary Sue. You don't have afraid. We don't eat you.
Enjoy our country and our hospitality.
Buen Camino.

Ah! And remember that San Francisco and California were Spanish.
Spain is in Europe not under Méjico (México). LoL :)
The Spaniards have good sense of humor.:p

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No idea where you are from or how tight your time-frame is. Just relax and take it easy for the first few days. After that you will soon strengthen and it will get easier. Listen carefully to what the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP say about the weather and advice about route to take. Don't over plan, go with the flow. Read and seek the advice available here, You don't have a lot of time to train so don't overreach yourself. Better to arrive a little unfit than not arrive at all or arrive injured. Remember bag transport is available. Always have local taxi numbers available. Be prepared to take a bus, a short day, a rest day. Happy planning and Buen Camino.

The first time I walked the Camino, I had never backpacked.
I wasn't so afraid of going alone as much as I was afraid of the unexpected.
I had a kazillion questions and in the end made some good and some bad decisions.

I was told not to walk the VDLP in summer - I chose to try anyway and failed.
It was dangerously hot.
Instead of tossing in the towel, I hopped up to the Camino Frances and had a great time!
I took WAY too much stuff and left about half of it in free boxes within the first week.
(take things you aren't too attached to because you WILL dump things and postage costs more than most items will cost to replace)

It was the trip of a lifetime and I've been back almost every year since.
Do what feels right.
You will make a few mistakes - learn from them
You will make a lot of friends.
You will come home with beautiful memories.
When you discover, on the trail, you've made a mistake, like maybe taken too much... adjust... get rid of things... change things...

And if I could give advice it would be
1) Don't stress over gear or over plan this - just use what's in your closet and go
2) Wake up each morning and give thanks for being alive and for the simple ability to walk
3) Take the opportunity to immerse yourself in a different culture - when in Rome...
4) Don't have expectations - be like a leaf in the wind and the Camino will take care of you

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is a link to the tips and advice section of my blog in my signature. I hope you find it useful.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.