• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello! Planning first Camino March 2022

legless

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances March-April 2022. Portuguese 2023!
Hello everyone, I've been lurking for a little while and planning my first Camino (Frances) starting March 2022. I've loosely planned this several times over the years but life has always got in the way. I was widowed last year and life really is too short to put these things off so I've had 2 months off work approved and I'm definitely doing it next year.

I'm a long distance walker as a hobby, but this is much further/ longer than I've attempted before. I'm really enjoying all the interesting and helpful threads here and the planning process and I hope to meet some of you in Spain!

Jo

(legless has always been my online name since it was given to me in 1999 when some people I met on a formula 1 forum christened me that because of the zip off trousers/ shorts I was wearing, although I do like vino tinto)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Life is much too short to not enjoy it to the fullest. The CF is long but the individual stages can be suited to whatever length you want (with few exceptions) due to the many accommodations. The key is to know and acknowledge what a comfortable distance for you each day is and to not push that due to weather, friends you meet, or other issues. Everyone has their own speed (even on the same day), so just do what works for you, what your feet tell you, and what the terrain dictates.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello everyone, I've been lurking for a little while and planning my first Camino (Frances) starting March 2022. I've loosely planned this several times over the years but life has always got in the way. I was widowed last year and life really is too short to put these things off so I've had 2 months off work approved and I'm definitely doing it next year.

I'm a long distance walker as a hobby, but this is much further/ longer than I've attempted before. I'm really enjoying all the interesting and helpful threads here and the planning process and I hope to meet some of you in Spain!

Jo

(legless has always been my online name since it was given to me in 1999 when some people I met on a formula 1 forum christened me that because of the zip off trousers/ shorts I was wearing, although I do like vino tint

Jo

(legless has always been my online name since it was given to me in 1999 when some people I met on a formula 1 forum christened me that because of the zip off trousers/ shorts I was wearing, although I do like vino tinto)
If I may add my two bits, don't get too caught up in planning. Enjoy the serendipity of life on the Camino. You might be pleasantly surprised :)

If I may add my two bits, don't get too caught up in planning. Enjoy the serendipity of life on the Camino. You might be pleasantly surprised :)
Or you can do what I do. I love to do lots of planning and checking out different distances and albergues and looking at Gronze and Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino apps, checking out elevations especially because I like to walk new caminos. I even do itineraries of where I will sleep, write down the distances and the albergue I want to stay at. Then before I go I throw away all my notes and just wing it. Because you are right you know you know you never know especially on camino. But usually on less traveled caminos the choices of when and where to sleep are way more limited than on the CF or CP. So the Camino is doing alot of your planning for you. ;)

Or you can do what I do. I love to do lots of planning and checking out different distances and albergues and looking at Gronze and Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino apps, checking out elevations especially because I like to walk new caminos. I even do itineraries of where I will sleep, write down the distances and the albergue I want to stay at. Then before I go I throw away all my notes and just wing it. Because you are right you know you know you never know especially on camino. But usually on less traveled caminos the choices of when and where to sleep are way more limited than on the CF or CP. So the Camino is doing alot of your planning for you. ;)
To quote John Lennon (?): "Life is what happens when you are busy planning."

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Jo

Welcome pilgrim, it will be the time of your life. Buen Camino 🚶🏼‍♀️

Thank you for the welcome and the great advice. I definitely want to see where the journey takes me rather than plan each stage but the research is so exciting and I love reading everyone's stories. It is lovely to be going somewhere with so many options as to where to stop each day, compared to UK national trails which are not as flexible.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will be starting CF on March 31, 2022 from SJPP. I did it in 2013 with 33 days but felt like I missed a lot after returning home. I will be doing the SLOW Camino in about 60 days to enjoy the culture. I will be 75 at that time. Enjoy your Camino.
I hope to start on or around March 21 from Roncesvalles. I have done the CF twice, in 33 days, and I know I missed a lot. It will be a slow Camino this time for me also, to appreciate the architecture and the culture, and to practice the Spanish I have been studying while waiting to return. I do lots of planning beforehand, because that’s part of the fun, but as others have said, things change once the actual experience begins.

I hope to start on or around March 21 from Roncesvalles. I have done the CF twice, in 33 days, and I know I missed a lot. It will be a slow Camino this time for me also, to appreciate the architecture and the culture, and to practice the Spanish I have been studying while waiting to return. I do lots of planning beforehand, because that’s part of the fun, but as others have said, things change once the actual experience begins.
Good luck! I started on April 1, 2013 with the route over the mountain closed due to snow. It started snowing on the way to Roncesvalles and the next morning we had 1-1.5 ft. of snow on the ground. Enjoy your Camino
Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To quote John Lennon (?): "Life is what happens when you are busy planning."
And to quote John Lennon “You know, you know. you never know, you know? There was one I had to look up because I couldn’t remember it exactly:
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted.
Guess we both love John.
My dad told me once if John Lennon told you to jump off the Empire State Building you would ask which floor. My answer was “what’s your point?”
What was better in my youth than eating some mushrooms and reading “Lennon Remembers”. As a lover of John if you can find that book you would love if.

And to quote John Lennon “You know, you know. you never know, you know? There was one I had to look up because I couldn’t remember it exactly:

Drilling deeper, just for fun, here's another nugget of wisdom (I forgot who said it):
"There are things we know we know, things we know we don't know, things we don't know we know, and things we don't know we don't know." :)

Drilling deeper, just for fun, here's another nugget of wisdom (I forgot who said it):
"There are things we know we know, things we know we don't know, things we don't know we know, and things we don't know we don't know." :)
A paraphrase from a response United States Secretary of Defence Donald Rumsfeld gave to a question at a U.S. Department of Defence (DoD) news briefing on February 12, 2002, about the lack of evidence linking the government of Iraq with the supply of weapons of mass destruction to terrorist groups. o_O

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A paraphrase from a response United States Secretary of Defence Donald Rumsfeld gave to a question at a U.S. Department of Defence (DoD) news briefing on February 12, 2002, about the lack of evidence linking the government of Iraq with the supply of weapons of mass destruction to terrorist groups. o_O
Thanks!

Casario, I will be departing SJPP a day earlier than you (March 30). I am staying at Gite Makila in SJPP. If we see each other the evening of March 29, I'll buy you a beer!!

I am afraid I will miss the whole CF as I now have bladder cancer with treatment for 6 weeks starting Jan. 25 and another check 6 weeks after that. Still hope to bring the wife and 3 grown children with me on May 23rd for a slow walk from Sarria to Santiago.
If you haven't considered taking a day break and going to Haro from Navarrete,via taxi or bus pls considered it. I was planning to spend a day there as I did in 2017.
Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am afraid I will miss the whole CF as I now have bladder cancer with treatment for 6 weeks starting Jan. 25 and another check 6 weeks after that. Still hope to bring the wife and 3 grown children with me on May 23rd for a slow walk from Sarria to Santiago.
If you haven't considered taking a day break and going to Haro from Navarrete,via taxi or bus pls considered it. I was planning to spend a day there as I did in 2017.
Buen Camino
Casario , the Camino will always be there for you. I’m so sorry to hear about this unexpected set back. Follow all your doctors’ advice and continue planning for your future walk.

Legless, welcome. I love your attitude of, “If not now, when??” Go for it, don’t hold yourself to a time schedule. There are many ways to be a pilgrim. Mine this forum for all the information and advice you can get.
Ultreia!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Buen Camino
I hope the treatment isn't too difficult and that you're back in your walking boots very soon x

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back