• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi All—I walked the Ingles in September, 2019 and have been haunted by it ever since. I have continuously reset plans to return and walk the Frances or Norte in 2020 or 2021, and now hope it will be possible for me to go between late August to late October 2022. I hope to spend at least 8 weeks to really have time to linger in a place that speaks to me, recover in the event of health issues or simply rest en route. A private phobia I have is hopping stones to cross rivers or streams (I go in every single time). At age 65, I no longer have terrific balance, though long distances or strenuous terrain doesn’t really bother me. The potential of having to stone step across water ways is the reason I’m planning a fall trek. Any advice on how many times stone stepping at that time of year is usually necessary on either the Frances or Norte—that might make deciding between the two easier...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello from northern California! I've mostly read other posts as I have too little to add; I walked a short Camino (Frances) in early 2019 with a friend, and I hope to walk 100 km-plus with husband in Spring 2022. When we retire I'd like to do a full Camino, if only in sections at a time. We are late 60s; I can walk pretty far but my partner has knee issues so that will dictate the lengths he can walk. Thanks to everyone sharing experiences here.

Hi,
I have walked both in September - early November. It is hard to predict how heavy and how much rain you will have as I have had caminos with Sunny Skies and Caminos with lots of rain and snow. I would say that skipping stones I’ve lots of accumulated water is not something I have encountered more than a few times. I will say that there are some narrow pathways on both caminos. On the Norte some where pretty high up on the cliffs but with smooth gravel and grass for the most part. If memory sevens me correctly there are far more sections of the Frances that have lots of rocks and boulders and need care when walking both uphill and downhill. So if balance is an issue and please someone correct me if you think I am wrong the CF will present more challenges than the Norte is this respect. The Norte is a much more challenging Camino to walk in my opinion. There are many more steep long hills to go up and down especially until you go southwest towards Santiago. If you love magnificent coastal views and seafood then the Norte is the way to go.
Less infrastructure of course.
Fewer pilgrims. Also and again for those who disagree please interject my experience was people on the Norte seemed more independent and more walked solo. It is not to say pilgrims are not friendly, warm and generous on the Norte. They are every bit as wonderful as pilgrims you encounter on the CF. There didn’t seem to be any emphasis at all in forming tribes or families. People just walk and what happens happens. Still had just as many wonderful communal dinners with other pilgrims in Albergues and still made some wonderful and strong connections.

Hi All—I walked the Ingles in September, 2019 and have been haunted by it ever since. I have continuously reset plans to return and walk the Frances or Norte in 2020 or 2021, and now hope it will be possible for me to go between late August to late October 2022. I hope to spend at least 8 weeks to really have time to linger in a place that speaks to me, recover in the event of health issues or simply rest en route. A private phobia I have is hopping stones to cross rivers or streams (I go in every single time). At age 65, I no longer have terrific balance, though long distances or strenuous terrain doesn’t really bother me. The potential of having to stone step across water ways is the reason I’m planning a fall trek. Any advice on how many times stone stepping at that time of year is usually necessary on either the Frances or Norte—that might make deciding between the two easier...

Hi @Shells, here are pictures of the only two places on the Camino Francés I remember that involved stepping stones across water:
The first one is between Roncesvalles and Zubiri. As you can see, there are solid, blocks of concrete you can safely step on.
Roncesvalles-Zubiri.jpg
Or you can even walk around it using the road, especially if water levels are higher after heavy rainfall, as you can see on this google maps screen shot:
Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 21.22.18.png
The other one is between Melide and Boente. These are big natural stones that are very close together and the water is very shallow.
Melide-Boente.jpeg
For extra balance, use a pair of trekking poles and you should be fine.
Buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh, THANK YOU so much. I got spooked when I was trying to research this point. I stumbled on some pretty scary descriptions of stream crossings, though granted, the accounts referenced really high springtime runoff. I used Google Earth to try to locate various stepping stone crossings en route, but, couldn’t get much clarity about where or how wide the crossings are since I couldn’t get that level of detail. I really appreciate your input. I’m leaning toward the Frances because I will cherish the historical/cultural/spiritual aspects and think they may be greater (or at least more evident) on the Frances than on any of the other routes. Please correct me if I’m wrong, though, as this is just an impression I’ve formed from reading various accounts of peregrinos and it may be way off the mark.

@Shells, please do not be afraid. I am a person that has a tendency to be a bit fearful in certain situations and do not recall any issues. If there are any water issues related to potenial problems due to unusual weather, you will most likely have other pilgrims nearby to help you navigate, but doubt it will be a problem...I hope you are able to release your anxiety!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Shells, please do not be afraid. I am a person that has a tendency to be a bit fearful in certain situations and do not recall any issues. If there are any water issues related to potenial problems due to unusual weather, you will most likely have other pilgrims nearby to help you navigate, but doubt it will be a problem...I hope you are able to release your anxiety!
Thanks so much! I really do want to go with the flow, just maybe not literally! I appreciate all the kind responses and encouragement more than I can say. Since I don’t know anyone who really shares my desire to walk the Camino, I get stuck in my own head about potential mishaps—and the things I worry about tend to grow from a concern into a monster.

Hi @Shells, here are pictures of the only two places on the Camino Francés I remember that involved stepping stones across water:
The first one is between Roncesvalles and Zubiri. As you can see, there are solid, blocks of concrete you can safely step on.
View attachment 98093
Or you can even walk around it using the road, especially if water levels are higher after heavy rainfall, as you can see on this google maps screen shot:
View attachment 98094
The other one is between Melide and Boente. These are big natural stones that are very close together and the water is very shallow.
View attachment 98095
For extra balance, use a pair of trekking poles and you should be fine.
Buen camino!
These photos are invaluable to me. Thank you so much—you can’t imagine the difference you’ve made to me.

Hi,
I have walked both in September - early November. It is hard to predict how heavy and how much rain you will have as I have had caminos with Sunny Skies and Caminos with lots of rain and snow. I would say that skipping stones I’ve lots of accumulated water is not something I have encountered more than a few times. I will say that there are some narrow pathways on both caminos. On the Norte some where pretty high up on the cliffs but with smooth gravel and grass for the most part. If memory sevens me correctly there are far more sections of the Frances that have lots of rocks and boulders and need care when walking both uphill and downhill. So if balance is an issue and please someone correct me if you think I am wrong the CF will present more challenges than the Norte is this respect. The Norte is a much more challenging Camino to walk in my opinion. There are many more steep long hills to go up and down especially until you go southwest towards Santiago. If you love magnificent coastal views and seafood then the Norte is the way to go.
Less infrastructure of course.
Fewer pilgrims. Also and again for those who disagree please interject my experience was people on the Norte seemed more independent and more walked solo. It is not to say pilgrims are not friendly, warm and generous on the Norte. They are every bit as wonderful as pilgrims you encounter on the CF. There didn’t seem to be any emphasis at all in forming tribes or families. People just walk and what happens happens. Still had just as many wonderful communal dinners with other pilgrims in Albergues and still made some wonderful and strong connections.
Thanks so much for such a thoughtful reply. I’m edging towards the Frances, but your response has provided more food for thought.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.