• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help! Can't find a bed in Santiago, May 17 and 18, 2024

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated.

I've checked gronze and all apps, sent WhatsApp's, emails, phoned - everything I can think of. Hospi says to stay at Monte Gozo? Seems really far from the cathedral.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I see a one bed apartment on AirBNB that is a new listing in Red Square (down the hill from the old town between train station and cathedral). No photos yet. $35 per night. That is a good location.

Edit: what kind of place are you looking for? Albergue, private room?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Monte de Gozo is not that far.
If you want to stay reasonable in prize, try to talk to the staff at Albergue km0, they did help me last year and organized a bed in a local Inn near the cathedral. It was ~35€ per night.

SdC was packed with young pilgrims July 2023, the Catholic Juvenile Gathering in Lisbon a week after my arrival made it almost impossible to get a bed.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I see a one bed apartment on AirBNB that is a new listing in Red Square (down the hill from the old town between train station and cathedral). No photos yet. $35 per night. That is a good location.

Edit: what kind of place are you looking for? Albergue, private room?
I would not have thought to look at an Air B&B!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I remember someone posting that a couple of tour operators were booking large groups of Spaniards from the south of Spain to start on specific days so maybe that is the issue.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
They surely
You need to scroll down. All of these are available

View attachment 170423

Those beds were
Not available as of an hour or so ago - I had a friend work with me to double check. Even the hospi checked. I wonder if they just released more beds? Anyway...MY problem is solved. I hope others arriving this weekend find plenty of beds available.I guess the lesson here is to KEEP looking, even if you've already spent two and a half hrs searching ;)
Thanks everyone!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Always worth calling into the Seminario in person. Their website (and others) don't show true availability and they will usually find you a bed. Don't phone, call in person. That has been my experience in helping others in SdC over past few years.

Those beds were not available as of an hour or so ago - I had a friend work with me to double check. Even the hospi checked. I wonder if they just released more beds?
They have not become available, at least not in the website. When I click on "Show more" (list in screenshot in #10) it says "There is no availability on the selected dates" - for the dormitory beds as well as for the single and double rooms with shared bathroom.

I am glad to read that you found accommodation elsewhere in the meantime!

BTW, Friday 17th is a public holiday in Galicia so that makes a long weekend. And the Monday (Whitsun) is a public holiday in numerous countries which may also have made it even more attractive to travel to Santiago around this weekend.

Last edited:
I too had trouble believing the Seminario was full!!!!! But the web site told me it was full.... Who knows?
One thing that Camino taught me was to forgo the websites and call the places direct!

I would not have thought to look at an Air B&B!
As I said in on of another threads on the subject - try EVERYTHING - hotels, motels AirB&Bs and everything in between
I ma glad your problem got solved

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
They have not become available, at least not in the website. When I click on "Show more" (list in screenshot in #10) it says "There is no availability on the selected dates" - for the dormitory beds as well as for the single and double rooms with shared bathroom.

I am glad to read that you found accommodation elsewhere in the meantime!

BTW, Friday 17th is a public holiday in Galicia so that makes a long weekend. And the Monday (Whitsun) is a public holiday in numerous countries which may also have made it even more attractive to travel to Santiago around this weekend.
I see (limited) availability for all types.

Yesterday in Obradoiro, I saw several women walking around and asking people if they needed a place to stay. This used to be very common practice, but I hadn’t seen it at all recently. I once took a Señora up on her offer and stayed with two others in a perfectly fine 2- bedroom little flat, very close to Obradoiro. I had assumed that the practice had died since the touristic explosion increased the number of rooms available so greatly.

Obviously, this is no use to Marska, but if others are in a pinch, you might find something there or outside The Pilgrim‘s office.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I saw several women walking around and asking people if they needed a place to stay. This used to be very common practice, but I hadn’t seen it at all recently.
My companion and I did this in 2012, and I saw it in 2015-16, at least. But now maybe they tend to use AirBnB and other platforms such as Booking, which has a lot of private accommodation.

My companion and I did this in 2012, and I saw it in 2015-16, at least. But now maybe they tend to use AirBnB and other platforms such as Booking, which has a lot of private accommodation.
Not sure about Spain, but in many countries regulation is driving a return to the old-fashioned way. Here in Greece you can't put a property on AirBnB without a registration number and there is a lot of bureaucracy to get the proper registration.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When there was no availability on booking.com. I always either sent a what’s app message or called places. They don’t release all of their beds to booking.Com

I'm sorry but that proved to be the first thing that 'fails'.
Not all places work with Booking.com and not all places that do - release ALL the beds to them
I looked on booking last night when I saw this post and saw a couple of reasonably priced places available, but they were outside the center.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Booking.com has a bunk bed at these properties available those two nights, May 17-19.
Albergue a Fabrica 5.1mi from center
Albergue Santos 0.6mi from center
Albergue Monterray 0.9mi from center
Albergue Monte do Gozo 2.3mi from center
Albergue o Fervello 4.9mi from center

Buena suerte! Even though these might not be near the cathedral, the price for a bed is less than paying for a room and you can taxi in/out or your host might be able to assist with bus or other transportation shuttle options.

If you absolutely want to stay in the center, Pico Sacro Hostal Pension has a room for $239.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If all you can get is a triple then book a triple and sell the beds to other pilgrims who are in your situation.
when life serves you lemons - learn to make Lemon cerveza and sell it to the Pilgrims 🤣

seriously - i've mentioned this numerous times as of late with all these "no beds" threads. If anything we - the US folks - spend so much $$$ getting to Camino if you are faced with the situation of no beds in albergues - throw money at it! Get a 3-person room. Your sanity and comfort is worth a lot more.

P.S. And if you do sell the other beds to other Pilgrims, Pray to Santiago that they are not snorers 🤣

Apparently the Semenario is now often full on Friday nights. Go figure!

It seems very popular with large groups now, not just pilgrims. More so at weekends, I suppose. The big, fully equipped kitchen and dining area, and its proximity.. close enough but far enough out of town. it all helps, no doubt. No better place in Santiago to watch the sunset over the old town than from the front steps!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated.

I've checked gronze and all apps, sent WhatsApp's, emails, phoned - everything I can think of. Hospi says to stay at Monte Gozo? Seems really far from the cathedral.
When we arrived we did not have accomoation BUT a little old lady walked up offering reasonable accomodation - we agreed-she took our bag and we went to a beautiful spot no far from the Plaza - we were wary but it all worked out okay in the end

When we arrived we did not have accomoation BUT a little old lady walked up offering reasonable accomodation
That was my experience on my first arrival in Santiago, too. Of course, at that time I think "reasonable accommodation" consisted of a little private room for 200 or 300 pesetas.

I was in Albergue Semanario Menor this weekend. And it was indeed full Friday. There was a group of Spanish Marines here, school groups, etc. It was a very important holiday in Galicia this weekend celebrating Galician Literature and culture. Most stores were closed Friday.

I stayed this week but actually was first told there was no availability on Friday the 17th, but I kept on checking with the office until there was a cancellation.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

One death attributed to a heart attack last week. Two pelegrinos gored, one seriously. One broken leg and many ending in Pamplona due to knee and leg and ankle injuries. Is it possible to confirm...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Is there a list of albergues that also have private rooms on the Camino Frances? Gracias.
Hi everyone -- After walking the Frances from SJpdP last October, I'm planning to revisit the bit between Logrono and Burgos this July, following different stages. It's the section where I had...
I started out from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on 1 May. It turned out to be an unforgetable day. Above 1,000 m or so it snowed, catching many people unprepared. Later that day "many" walkers were...
And another attempt looms, to buy a decent Poncho after trying and failing in the previous two likely towns. Anyone know where an Altos or similar might be bought in Leon, please? 😁

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back