• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help in finding my way to and around Pamplona

Camino2010

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés
SJPP to Santiago (2010)
SJPP to Fisterra (2011)
SJPP to Fisterra/Muxia (2012)
SJPP to Fisterra/Muxia (2015)
SJPP to Fisterra/Muxia (2016)
Hello! I'm happy to have gotten a couple of replies already to my question about taking "too much stuff" (also in this section of the forum). I also wonder if anyone can help me find my way to, and around, Pamplona.

My flight to Madrid (via Munich) lands at 14:10 on Tuesday. Almost immediately I have to catch a bus to Pamplona. I've read here (in answers to pilgrims in other years) that I would need to go downtown to Avenida de America bus station, to catch the 15:00 bus. But it looks to me like the ALSA schedule shows (the same?) bus to Pamplona arriving at the Barajas Airport at 15:15. I want to know if I can catch the bus to Pamplona at the airport and save myself a trip downtown.

Can you help me understand the ALSA schedule? I've copy and pasted the times down below, and included a link to their website too (I wonder why there are two buses that leave at 15:00/15:15 but one takes 5 hours to get there and the other takes 6 hours):

MADRID (INTERCAM AV.AMERICA) PAMPLONA 15:00 20:00 5h 00min 27,42€

AEROPUERTO MADRID-BARAJAS T4 PAMPLONA 15:15 20:00 4h 45min 27,42€

MADRID (INTERCAM AV.AMERICA) PAMPLONA 15:00 21:15 6h 15min 28,84€

AEROPUERTO MADRID-BARAJAS T4 PAMPLONA 15:15 21:15 6h 00min 28,84€

http://www.alsa.es/portal/site/Alsa/tem ... cachetoken

Thank you very much!

Once I get to Pamplona, I'll stay overnight there, then the next afternoon I catch a ride to SJPP with Express Bourricot , from the station bus-plaza de la Paz (that direction is taken from the confirmation e-mail they sent me). I don't have a place booked for the overnight in Pamplona, I'd planned to stay at the albergue but read the post on here about a recent bedbug infestation... does anyone have another affordable alternative to suggest?

The next morning I want to go to an Orange store and buy a cell/mobile phone. I'll need it while in Spain to make several hour-long phone calls to Canada and the United States for my work (an experience I'm looking forward to, I just need a reliable way to make the connection overseas). Buying one will be an adventure because I've never had a cell phone before! [I'm buying one in Spain because I've read that the charges will be less if I use a Spanish-bought phone (no roaming?) on a "pay as you go" basis - does that sound right?]

Will I have to take my backpack with me as I make my way around Pamplona or could I store it somewhere safe? And is the downtown core small enough to walk around or will I need to take public transport? (I've looked at a map but it's hard to tell for sure without actually being there).

My other task is to feed myself breakfast and lunch, then find the bus station to meet up with Express Bourricot. I'd appreciate any assistance or suggestions you could offer. Thank you!

Rachel (flying tomorrow - yikes!)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Camino2010 said:
I want to know if I can catch the bus to Pamplona at the airport and save myself a trip downtown.
(I wonder why there are two buses that leave at 15:00/15:15 but one takes 5 hours to get there and the other takes 6 hours):

Yes, you catch the bus at the Airport Terminal 4. There are two buses taking different routes, hence the different times and prices.

Camino2010 said:
does anyone have another affordable alternative to suggest?

Don't worry, you'll find cheap accommodation in a Hostal or Pension right near the bus station. Just walk around a bit or ask at the information desk.

Camino2010 said:
The next morning I want to go to an Orange store and buy a cell/mobile phone...on a "pay as you go" basis - does that sound right?]

No problems! Buy the cheapest phone they have (around 25 euros if I recall correctly), a SIM card and Pay as you go that you can recharge just about everywhere in Spain, including Bars, Grocery stores and tobacco shops, at whatever level you need.

Camino2010 said:
My other task is to feed myself breakfast and lunch

To start, go to a cafeteria to eat. They have menus with pictures and are not expensive. You can just point and smile. If you speak a little spanish, then it's easier for there are places to eat everywhere in Spain, including bars.

Hoping this is of some help. Have a nice flight and a pleasant camino.

Jean-Marc

Thanks, Jean-Marc! I appreciate your help! Do you happen to know how it works to buy a cell phone on a "pay as you go" basis and be able to use/access e-mail or the internet? - Is that even possible without a cell phone contract? I don't mind paying a little more if I can get a phone that will enable me to text message and/or access e-mail.

Rachel

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino2010 said:
Thanks, Jean-Marc! I appreciate your help! Do you happen to know how it works to buy a cell phone on a "pay as you go" basis and be able to use/access e-mail or the internet? - Is that even possible without a cell phone contract? I don't mind paying a little more if I can get a phone that will enable me to text message and/or access e-mail.

Rachel
Rachel,

A cell phone on a pay as you go basis to send and receive messages as well as making phone call is easy to buy and not very expensive in Spain.
On the other hand, if you go the e-mail and internet way, it<s a lot more expensive to buy and use. You should not worry about having access to the Internet. There are Internet cafes (locutorio is a good place) and internet machines available in bars and even in some of the albergues. You can also make use of the facilities of the library in most of the villages, free.
I think a normal phone would do for quick sms and normal convesations. Other stuff can be done at the end of the day in most places along the way.
Do not worry. Everything will fall in place nicely.
Cheers,
Jean-Marc

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back