• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help Me Choose My First Camino!

Willin'

Abiding Dude
Time of past OR future Camino
First Camino in September 2017
Hello all,

Please be patient with me if I ask the wrong things... I'm un-accustomed to this board's software and am having a hard time navigating.

I'm a 65 yo reasonably fit retiree planning to take my first (possibly of many) pilgrimage starting next September. I'll be traveling solo and typically prefer doing things a bit off the beaten path. I'm figuring on allowing about a month to complete it, but can be open ended if things run long. I've read up a bit on the Frances and understand that it is typically everyone's first Camino, but I am tempted to go my own way with perhaps a little guidance from you.

I've narrowed my options to the Frances, Portugues and del Norte, which are all roughly the same distance. While not averse to following convention to take advantage of the company and experience of so many fellow wanderers, my impression is that the Frances may be a bit more crowded than I'd prefer and due to the density of support businesses along the way may be a bit less, well, adventurous.

I've traveled a bit in Spain and France in the past and generally prefer the coasts to the inland. I've very much enjoyed San Sebastien and am tempted to do the del Norte to experience that beautiful section of coast, but understand the availability of food , shelter and other support is much lower along this route than the other two.

I've not been to Portugal but have long wanted to visit there. The path there also follows the coast for much of the way and has the added benefit of beginning right in Lisbon, my port of entry, thereby avoiding a day or two of overland travel to get to the trailhead.

I have enough Spanish, French and Portuguese that I would be equally disadvantaged on any of the routes from a language perspective.

Can anyone suggest reasons why my first pilgrimage shouldn't be the del Norte or Potugues?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello all,

Please be patient with me if I ask the wrong things... I'm un-accustomed to this board's software and am having a hard time navigating.

I'm a 65 yo reasonably fit retiree planning to take my first (possibly of many) pilgrimage starting next September. I'll be traveling solo and typically prefer doing things a bit off the beaten path. I'm figuring on allowing about a month to complete it, but can be open ended if things run long. I've read up a bit on the Frances and understand that it is typically everyone's first Camino, but I am tempted to go my own way with perhaps a little guidance from you.

I've narrowed my options to the Frances, Portugues and del Norte, which are all roughly the same distance. While not averse to following convention to take advantage of the company and experience of so many fellow wanderers, my impression is that the Frances may be a bit more crowded than I'd prefer and due to the density of support businesses along the way may be a bit less, well, adventurous.

I've traveled a bit in Spain and France in the past and generally prefer the coasts to the inland. I've very much enjoyed San Sebastien and am tempted to do the del Norte to experience that beautiful section of coast, but understand the availability of food , shelter and other support is much lower along this route than the other two.

I've not been to Portugal but have long wanted to visit there. The path there also follows the coast for much of the way and has the added benefit of beginning right in Lisbon, my port of entry, thereby avoiding a day or two of overland travel to get to the trailead.

I have enough Spanish, French and Portuguese that I would be equally disadvantaged on any of the routes from a language perspective.

Can anyone suggest reasons why my first pilgrimage shouldn't be the del Norte or Potugues?

Thanks for your help!

Hi and welcome!
No I am not going to try to change your mind about the Frances :) You summed it up really nicely what the different perspectives are.
I cannot speak for the Norte but I hear it can be a bit daunting finding affordable accomodation. And the paved roads can be hard for the feet.
I can speak for the Portugues ( albeit only from Porto on ) and I liked that Camino very much.
Enough pilgrims to make it not too loneley but not too overcrowded as a summer Frances. Superb Portugues cuisine. Accomodation even cheaper than Spain. But above all : gorgeous lovely people in Portugal.
And you have the advantage of starting right from Lisbon.
Whatever you decide : all the best and keep us posted.

I have done a section of each .... the French is busy, beautiful, lots of people, busier in late summer ... but I loved it; only did first section, but heading back for more this year. The North is definitely quieter, stunning scenery, amazing food, some hostels closed in early April ... but I enjoyed this too. The Portuguese, ... we did Tui to Santiago for our first Camino experience, and it was amazing ... great people, lovely scenery, amazing memories ... hence return visits. Whatever you choose, it will be a great experience. The Camino is all about the journey ... and whatever 'route' you take you will have an incredible experience. If you're arriving in Lisbon, ... why not do the Portuguese? As everyone will tell you ... YOU WILL GO BACK .... so you can try the others next time! Have a wonderful trip. Buen Camino! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am going to argue for the French way first, but off season (October - November for example). I think the first camino should not be about the nicest or most preferable one, but about getting to grips with the concept of camino as a whole. For this reason I am very glad I did the French way first, and especially glad I got to experience the Meseta, which for me was where it all came together. The emptiness, the beigeness, the big sky, day after day, it opens up your mind like no other route I have experienced, no matter how much I have enjoyed the others. The French way also has a wealth of priceless monuments which together form a kind of string of pearls which tell the story of the camino. Off season will make it more challenging and less crowded, which sounds like what you are looking for.

That's my two-penneth!
Lovely dog btw.

Two- penneth? I'd make a tuppence remark, but it would only remind me of our dismal vice president, so I won't.

Folks, this is what I was hoping for. I know I can't assess every aspect of every route in advance and still consider it an adventure, but life is short and your experience is helping me make the most of it. Thank you all so much for the kindnesses.

Thanks, Barley was a great man. He'll be walking the way with me, invisibly.

Two- penneth? I'd make a tuppence remark, but it would only remind me of our dismal vice president, so I won't.

Folks, this is what I was hoping for. I know I can't assess every aspect of every route in advance and still consider it an adventure, but life is short and your experience is helping me make the most of it. Thank you all so much for the kindnesses.

Thanks, Barley was a great man. He'll be walking the way with me, invisibly.

Hey Willin.
My first Camino was the English Way due to time restraints - I'm still working the 9-5, I'll do part of the Portuguese this year from Porto. I hope to do the Frances in 2019 but I will do it in the Fall because the crowds do not excite me. So I say, go for the Portuguese, since you will be in Lisbon. Keep us posted.
I'm from the burgh - as in Pittsburgh!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back