• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello! Can anybody give me advice to help plan a very last minute, first time Camino?

NikkiS26

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned Nov 23
Hi!

Life has recently found me at a slight crossroads and whilst trying to decide what direction to take next I remembered a friend of mine that walked the Camino a few years ago and the thought of a pilgrimage instantly resonated with me. I’ve spent a few days researching on various websites and am beginning to get very excited at the thought of it.

It’s going to be a last minute trip though, hoping to leave the first week of November which I know isn’t going to be ideal weather wise. I also suffered a knee injury earlier in the year which does feel strong again now and fine to walk on however I don’t want to push it too much so am planning on taking it slowly, I have no real time limit so would ideally like to split up the sections to relieve any pressure on overdoing it. Thinking maybe starting from halfway on longer routes (ie from Porto or from Burgos etc) is a good option.

So taking into to account those points. my questions for anybody that could offer me advice would be;

Weather wise (Nov/Dec) which Camino route would be your choice for the least dramatic conditions? From what I can see the Portuguese way is milder but rainier? Or perhaps starting on one of the more southern route Could be an option…

Which route would be my best bet for potential places to stay outside of the main sections out of season? I’ve had advice that the French way has more infrastructure but looking at accomodation on Gronze the Portuguese way appears to have more albergues open year round?

Which routes would you say would be best suited for somebody with less than ideal joints? I’m going to be walking with poles but it’s mainly extreme declines that might be tough on my injury so looking to avoid the most dramatic elevations.

I know non this sounds like the most ideal conditions for a hike right now but I really feel like this could be exactly what I’ve been needing to do for a while now and am ready for the challenge.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, any help would be greatly appreciated 😊

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you’ve really got no time limit I would be inclined to start in Pamplona and just go as slowly as you need to.
Take as little gear as possible and follow the arrows.
May your journey offer you space to contemplate and consider.

If time is not an issue start in Saint Jean Pied de Port taking Valcarlos route to Roncesvalles. This can be done in two days. There’s an albergue in Valcarlos.

As others have stated Camino Frances has the best infrastructure for late fall winter caminos.

Between municipal/parochial albergues, private albergues, and hostels you’ll find a bed.

Take lightweight beanie and gloves for very cool mornings.

Also, watch YT videos on fall and winter treks to Santiago. Some videos cover packing list, others a step-by-step way to Santiago.

Buen camino.

For your knee injury I highly recommend wearing a neoprene knee sleeve. You will be so thankful for this on any downhill areas. And poles! Or you can learn how to do KT tape for you knee but I like the knee sleeve.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Boots the chemist sell a really good knee brace for £19.99 (I see you are in the UK)
its comfortable and very supporting with 3 straps, 2 for above and below the knee and 1 for behind the knee

I’d say for season/weather/knee/infrastructure, the Frances sounds best. Skip the Pyrenees and start at Pamplona - take it steady and enjoy the lovely walks as far as you feel comfortable.

I agree with Stuart and others. I’d be starting in Pamplona and I’d do the Frances, hands down. I just finished it two weeks ago and saw several pilgrims with knee supports. You should do the same. It can be quite strenuous on the uphill and downhill parts. Weather wise I can’t say. In Sep-Oct I got only one day of rain in 22 days. Start slow and short distances and work your way up, seen as you have no time limit. Besides, it’s more enjoyable that way.
Good luck.
Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back