• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help me figure this out please.

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
So I think I'm finished walking the Camino.

No. Really. Done.

This is the first time in ten years I have felt like I'd just like to go home and stay there. It's weird.

Anyway. I have a group from May 10 through May 31 and that will be fun.

But then I'm booked to fly to Madrid June 1 and not to fly back to Portland until June 15. So nothing to do for 2 weeks.

Originally I thought I would go walk another section of the VDLP. But I really do feel 'done.' It's just not in me and I'm even struggling to finishing this Madrid route.

I need some ideas about places to hunker down for that two weeks.

Is change my ticket but it would probably cost more than staying here two weeks.

I'm serious about volunteering if anyone needs a hospitalera. I just don't want to walk anymore after June 1

Last edited:
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Sorry to read that you are tired of walking. Do eat a good meal to help lift your spirits. Have you considered asking Reb about volunteering? Perhaps tomorrow the sun will shine and you will find your solution.

Take care and stay safe.

I am sorry to hear you're in a down mood Annie. I don't have any helpful suggestions. Mspath's was the best: a good meal. That may invigorate you...
(Ps: I felt the same on the VdlP last year so I do sympathise)
Thinking of you peregrina :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

No. Really. Done.

This is the first time in ten years I have felt like I'd just like to go home and stay there. It's weird.

But then I'm booked to fly to Madrid June 1 and not to fly back to Portland until June 15. So nothing to do for 2 weeks.

Originally I thought I would go walk another section of the VDLP. But I really do feel 'done.' It's just not in me and I'm even struggling to finishing this Madrid route. I don't have the strength I had 10 years ago. Blah. Blah. Blah.

Soooooooo. I need some ideas about INEXPENSIVE places to hunker down for that two weeks.

Is change my ticket but it would probably cost more than staying here two weeks.

I'm serious about volunteering if anyone needs a hospitalera. I just don't want to walk anymore after June 1.

Cheap beach?
Inexpensive holdup?
I could blow off the flight to Madrid. It was only €50 but then I'd still have to get there by June 14.

Thoughts?

I'm in such a down mood.
I feel like Eyore.
Whiny butt Annie
Listen to Wooly Bully from Sam the sham & the Pharaohs.That'll put a pep in your step.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Go visit a couple of other cities in Spain. Take a Spanish course. Last year I took a 2 week Spanish course in Barcelona and stayed with a wonderful woman there arranged by the school. In addition to the lessons we had cultural activities included every day. There's more to do in Spain than walk the Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

No. Really. Done.

Originally I thought I would go walk another section of the VDLP. But I really do feel 'done.' It's just not in me and I'm even struggling to finishing this Madrid route.

I'm serious about volunteering if anyone needs a hospitalera. I just don't want to walk anymore after June 1

I wish I could swap places with you for just a few days. I know that feeling of utter exhaustion, and owing to a very depressing situation on one of my journeys, also understand the feeling of needing to just escape.

Hey Annie, hang in there. I thought it was only me struggling at the present time, just goes to show you, it only needs one other person feisty enough to say something and you find your not on your own!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Take some time out and watch the world go by, I dont know you so I can't say what's a possible solution and you seem in tune with yourself but I'm going to give my experience and maybe something might sound familiar. I have had that feeling twice, one after the other on consecutive caminos, I forced my self to go back and had a bad time mentally and physically. I left it for two years after that, in that time I realised it was something special for me and maybe events had thrown me, I really looked at myself and decided to change so if only for one more time I could say a goodbye to the Camino on good terms, as it worked out I had an incredible time it made up for the weariness of the previous two, but I'm not in a rush to go back but also feel my life is now intertwined with the CdS.
I read your blog, I have had people who I have felt have drained something vital from me at times, maybe that French guy did.

Buen Camino

Annie, thank you for sharing the ups and the exhausting times and am hoping you find or are found by something/one uplifting or uplift someone else. Things don't stay the same!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Annie, After all you've done on the camino and all you do here on the forum, I'm not surprised you're feeling done. I also wouldn't be surprised to see you change your heart on this after some time has passed.

I can't presume to know what you need right now - other than something else.

In the meantime, I support everyone's advice here to just cool it. What nourishes you? Maybe you need a little spot where someone will wait on you for awhile - a massage, music you love, no demands. Is there a place anywhere in your life that does that?

Maybe there's a Buddhist temple somewhere near where people are there, in silence, if that appeals to you. Or maybe there's a beautiful casa rural on a farm where you can stay and just do n-o-t-h-i-n-g. Or maybe you want to see every piece of architecture and museo in Barcelona.

Follow your heart, and in the meantime, we'll carry you in ours.

Thinking about you fellow peregrina and wishing you well.

how soothing to KNOW that you are done. I admire your clarity. To be called, live it, and know it when to walk away. Know that I and many have appreciated your posts and comments. Buen Camino for the next path,where ever it may take you.
And yes, this Camino may call you again, or not. All is good
thank you
Nanc

Thank you all so much for your kind responses to my "what feels like craziness". I think I have secured a spot for 10 days. I will walk today to at least Cuenca. I'm so close to finishing this route. Praying for sun and grateful for this supportive community.

Gracias.
Annie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you all so much for your kind responses to my "what feels like craziness". I think I have secured a spot for 10 days. I will walk today to at least Cuenca. I'm so close to finishing this route. Praying for sun and grateful for this supportive community.

Gracias.
Annie

My initial reaction when I read this post was that this is not the Annie I have known over the last several years on the Forum. Then I realized that you have always been a person of honesty and frankness. I remember your comments when you were walking the Vdlp and other times on previous Caminos; when things were hard you stated it flatly. Thank you for sharing yourself with all of us.

The Camino is not a trail of utter bliss, but a trail that demands self-sacrifice. There is a suffering we each go through as we take each step of the Way. In many ways I believe that we learn something through that communal suffering and we share that suffering each evening with those we meet.

Thank you for being the epitome of a pilgrim in so many ways. Keep that wind at your back.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Go visit a couple of other cities in Spain. Take a Spanish course. Last year I took a 2 week Spanish course in Barcelona and stayed with a wonderful woman there arranged by the school. In addition to the lessons we had cultural activities included every day. There's more to do in Spain than walk the Camino!
Hola Trecile - do you have some contact details/prices etc. I am considering something similar for Pamplona but if Barcelona fits that maybe I will consider. Cheers

I am sorry to hear you feel the way you do Annie. Maybe we can have too much of a good thing after all. Of all of us you are by now most qualified to know if that is true of the Camino. I am sure we have all been at a meal where too much food was provided and we felt we didn't want more and would never need to eat again. But we all ate again another day, did we not? Maybe you need a different restaurant with different fare. Maybe it is like pilgrim's menus when you crave for a change from the salad and pasta. Maybe after tasting other offerings in life you will crave for the pilgrim's lot again. Who knows? Following you posts this trip I realise that it has been less than enjoyable and difficult for you. May the joy of past times return and fortify you. May life return to being rewarding. As one who has benefited from you presence may I hope that you find peace, a soft bed, a nice bathroom, and an outrageously extravagant meal!
May I offer you the thanks for your candour, the love and fellowship of myself and I am sure that of our fellow forum members. You are a forum stalwart and precious to us all.
Take heart and rest, rest, rest! Por favor, disfrutar de los próximos días y recargar las baterías.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Take a load off Annie..
Take load off..uhmmm hmmm hmm
Take a load off Annie..
Put that load right on me..
Or some such song..
Well..I tried to upload a killer pic to ya..but all my files are huge according to the prompt.,dang.
But happy resting!

I wish there was a laugh button because this made me laugh. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear you feel the way you do Annie. Maybe we can have too much of a good thing after all. Of all of us you are by now most qualified to know if that is true of the Camino. I am sure we have all been at a meal where too much food was provided and we felt we didn't want more and would never need to eat again. But we all ate again another day, did we not? Maybe you need a different restaurant with different fare. Maybe it is like pilgrim's menus when you crave for a change from the salad and pasta. Maybe after tasting other offerings in life you will crave for the pilgrim's lot again. Who knows? Following you posts this trip I realise that it has been less than enjoyable and difficult for you. May the joy of past times return and fortify you. May life return to being rewarding. As one who has benefited from you presence may I hope that you find peace, a soft bed, a nice bathroom, and an outrageously extravagant meal!
May I offer you the thanks for your candour, the love and fellowship of myself and I am sure that of our fellow forum members. You are a forum stalwart and precious to us all.
Take heart and rest, rest, rest! Por favor, disfrutar de los próximos días y recargar las baterías.

Thank you so much, Al.

For some reason I started thinking about Forrest Gump......he ran and ran and ran......and suddenly stopped and said "I'm done " !!!!! :) Out of all people on this forum you may be one that has about THE most Camino experience.......so I think the answers will come to you.......from YOU ! :) I wish you all the best !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think I have secured a spot for 10 days.

It seems you already have (almost) sorted it out. Surely the missing pieces will fall into place by themselves once you give them time to make it.

You may feel done with the camino and I don't know if that feeling will change with the time or not but don't have any feeling about the feeling. It's just what it is.

If you don't find the joy in the camino anymore, think about other activities/experiences that may be joyful for you. The silence and solitude of a low traveled camino like the Camino de Madrid can be useful for your thinking process. And the Camino Francés you plan to walk can be useful to know other people's experiences, activities, hobbies... In other words, to get (more) ideas about things/activities/experiences... that may make you joyful.

Praying for sun

You'll have it today, tomorrow and the day past tomorrow with temperatures rising every day... Surely, you'll have sun and bright skies all your way till Sahagún. Enjoy as much as possible!

Hola Trecile - do you have some contact details/prices etc. I am considering something similar for Pamplona but if Barcelona fits that maybe I will consider. Cheers
The school I attended was International House. I chose a course geared to those over age 50, which I really enjoyed. Every major city in Spain has a similar school. A quick Google search shows several in Pamplona.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Annie I just completed the Hospitalero training program here in Victoria, BC last weekend. It was fantastic and I can't wait to follow through, hopefully 2017. As tiring as I know working as a Hospitalera will be, nothing would be as tiring for me as leading groups. I wonder if this might be part of what you're feeling. Having worked in the hotel/travel/tour secors as a career for years, I saw so much burnout. Lovely as these folks are, it does take a heap of energy out of you.
A nice retreat for yourself perhaps, giving you some rest and a chance to ponder your next step. Obviously, you would make a wonderful, knowledgable Hospitalera. I do wish you well Annie. Maggie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If its time to head Home.
To the Familiar paths and shaded ways
Of hearth and heart
Of old friends and family faces
Of four legged furry traces.

Do so
With a clean Concience
A Glad Heart
And a unfettered Spirit.

The Way wont exact any toll

The Way..will always be there
Just as it has for Millenia.

You..a part of you at least will always be there.

But the Way will not take from you..what you have not already given ten fold.

No..
No epitaph is this
No eulogy for the traveled way

It is mearely a Ultrea
From a road less traveled by.

The road will always, in the deepness of you..stretch out before your soul.
The whispers of Come..Follow Me...
Will always come in your silences.

Find your Centeredness

Your..
Original Address
Your origin..and you will find yourself..there.

Its not easy living the free life
Its not easy being a captive to what you love.

A joyous,tenuous thread
You feel all of life vibrating within and throughout.

Freedom, once tasted
Once..sweet as a summer wine
Bitter as a vinegar if not balanced with the waters of home.

That Silence of Spirit..of Self
The Gift from the Way..
Never Leaves.
It is who you become..whole and complete
Even when apart.

You carry ..The Way..inside you

For what is a prize worth if you cant enjoy it
Wont use it.
That inner Peace.

Be Blessed

If its time to head Home.
To the Familiar paths and shaded ways
Of hearth and heart
Of old friends and family faces
Of four legged furry traces.

Do so
With a clean Concience
A Glad Heart
And a unfettered Spirit.

The Way wont exact any toll

The Way..will always be there
Just as it has for Millenia.

You..a part of you at least will always be there.

But the Way will not take from you..what you have not already given ten fold.

No..
No epitaph is this
No eulogy for the traveled way

It is mearely a Ultrea
From a road less traveled by.

The road will always, in the deepness of you..stretch out before your soul.
The whispers of Come..Follow Me...
Will always come in your silences.

Find your Centeredness

Your..
Original Address
Your origin..and you will find yourself..there.

Its not easy living the free life
Its not easy being a captive to what you love.

A joyous,tenuous thread
You feel all of life vibrating within and throughout.

Freedom, once tasted
Once..sweet as a summer wine
Bitter as a vinegar if not balanced with the waters of home.

That Silence of Spirit..of Self
The Gift from the Way..
Never Leaves.
It is who you become..whole and complete
Even when apart.

You carry ..The Way..inside you

For what is a prize worth if you cant enjoy it
Wont use it.
That inner Peace.

Be Blessed

Just beautiful. Thank you.

I will email her.
Anniesantiago, Just a quick question (since I see you are an avid Camino Walker) Have you walked the Via De Bayona route to Burgos and joined the French way or another route? I am trying to organise a group from Australia and due to back issues & one lady with Cancer I thought this route might be a bit more pleasant to start the walk from. Can you provide me with any information or impart some words of wisdom for me please?

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Anniesantiago, Just a quick question (since I see you are an avid Camino Walker) Have you walked the Via De Bayona route to Burgos and joined the French way or another route? I am trying to organise a group from Australia and due to back issues & one lady with Cancer I thought this route might be a bit more pleasant to start the walk from. Can you provide me with any information or impart some words of wisdom for me please?
No, I'm sorry. I haven't walked this route. You might start a thread on the forum. There are many very experienced walkers here, many much more experienced than I.

Follow your heart, Annie. I plan to walk the Camino for the first (and only time) next year. Whether I make it to Santiago or not, this is my one shot. There's so much else to see in this world. And only so much time left to see it.

€60,-
Annie
You can give up The Road
But the Road will not give up on you.

In your inmost thoughts
You will wonder
You will wander

The old restlessness will abide the quiet..no longer
That vigor will assert itself

The fire outside
Will be no match for the burning in your imagination..
in your head.
In your heart
In your tread.

Its hard, but it can be done...
Your heart will know one longing desire
Your spirit..another.

Your eyes will give you away
You are of the others..
You have seen
You have been
You have done.

Your staring off into the distance of your memories.
Be Blessed

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

No. Really. Done.

I have had to fly into and out of Madrid several times. It is a beautiful city with a very beautiful Central Park that goes on forever. The San Lorenzo market warrants a full day and the Prado kept me busy for two full days.
Next to Santiago I found Granada with the Albacin and Alhambra the most culturally fulfilling experience. Malaga Gibraltar and Morocco not too distant to make part of your own tour.
So lots to do and see. Imagine it and you can make it happen
Buen Tourista!

I have had to fly into and out of Madrid several times. It is a beautiful city with a very beautiful Central Park that goes on forever. The San Lorenzo market warrants a full day and the Prado kept me busy for two full days.
Next to Santiago I found Granada with the Albacin and Alhambra the most culturally fulfilling experience. Malaga Gibraltar and Morocco not too distant to make part of your own tour.
So lots to do and see. Imagine it and you can make it happen
Buen Tourista!

Yes, I love Madrid.
I have some meaningful plans now and start walking from SJPP again on Tuesday.
Things are better.
Thanks.

No. Really. Done.

Not sure if you want to travel outside of Madrid but the villages above Barcelona on the coast are really delightful and offer a sense of comfort for the pilgrim who wants to rest. Check out Canet de Mar and Arenys de for a change of pace which sometimes renews the Camino spirit

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Can someone please describe the difference between the Wise Pilgrim print edition, the kindle edition, and the app for the Camino Primitivo? I mean up-to-date info, ease of use, etc. If I got the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.