• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hey Coleen, when you walk the Camino Portuguese don't miss..

Coleen Clark

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked August 2015, planning on walking August 2017
In August I'll begin in Lisbon and walk the Camino Portuguese. I've been reading with zeal all the posts about that Way, and have noted in my Brierley's guide a few place mentioned by you that I will make an effort to see or stay in.
What was a high point for you?
Where was your best meal? Where should I stay? I already have marked the Monastery in Herbon and Casa Fernanda, two place pilgrims have raved about here in the Forum.
And can I just say I brag about the Forum to everyone who is looking for information? It's the best place I know to send pilgrims with questions.
So, come on. Reveal your secrets! Where would you visit again if and when you do the Lisbon route?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I know tis will sound very strange to many, but as lovely as Fernanda and her family are, and as hard as they work, I would not repeat a visit there. The reason is simply that the meal goes on and on, with her and her husband dancing and signing as a way to entertain their guests. As a tired pilgrim I want a shower a simple meal and a bed. I found the whole thing a bit forced, a bit of a show. I think they would show their hospitality just as much even if they kept things more simple.

Also, it is no secret that the Portuguese, from Porto, was a disappointment for me. I was so afraid I would no longer love the Camino. Its redeeming quality is the Variante Espiritual, especially from Poio to Os Castanos. I would suggest taking the time to visit the Poio Monastery, Comabrro and enjoy every minute on the Ruta de piedra & agua. Also Pontevedra.

That is such a difficult question for me to answer Coleen yet I really want to answer it for you. I start thinking of places I enjoyed immensely and the memories come back to the people. When I walked last September from Porto on the coastal route there were few pilgrims and my buddy spoke Portuguese (and I speak Spanish.) We met so many wonderful Portuguese people and had wonderful meals. I think with your outgoing personality and humor you will meet many wonderful people and have similar experiences. Lisbon was beautiful and relaxing with a lot to see and do. In Fatima there were a lot of people and I don't know what I was expecting, (maybe it was my frame of mind that day) but it didn't touch me like I thought it would. Tomar was hot and dry but we met some wonderful people and really enjoyed touring the town and the castle. Porto was wonderful and our friend who lives there gave us a great two day tour and her love of life and her town really showed. Freixo Nigrán Galicia was a highlight but we were the only two non-locals at the small festival with the traditional dancing by the Galicans and Portuguese and then we were invited to their potluck dinner afterwards with the homemade wine and all the traditional foods and I could go on and on. I enjoyed it so much I am going back for 7 weeks this year.

Portugal really is beautiful and I really enjoyed the coast and the food is wonderful. Good luck with your decision.

Bom Caminho!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you can, spend a couple of nights in Porto, explore the upper floors and cloisters of the cathedral with the wonderful tiles, see also the tile murals at sao Bento station. The Variante Espiritual would be a diversion I would take if I walked the CP again. Do try to attend the pilgrims' Mass at San Antonio in Barcelos and feel the warmth of a welcome from the church community, and try to eat out in the town enjoying their wonderful bacelhau. Stay at the Rates albergue and also Ninho in Rubiaes, especially if you like cats and lounging in a hammock. Go to the top of the pilgrim's church in Pontevedra, I managed to do so despite my fear of heights and vertigo. Explore the wonderful fortress town of Valenca before crossing over the bridge to Spain - the border is in the middle of the river - and to Tui. Sorry that this is out of sequence Coleen. I second Mike Savage's comments about the food, but be warned the portions are huge and you have to sample the white port and vinho verde in situ. Bom Caminho!

Coleen I don't know your pace or your time frame, and even mine is very tentative, but I expect to be at Casa da Fernanda around September 12. Maybe I will see you on the Caminho!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I really enjoyed the Portugues but it was not for any particular place it was the people I met. Often I find myself completely alone on a camino and that can be good sometimes but mostly it is the other pilgrims who make a camino great and that is something you cannot plan for, it's the luck of the draw. So I would say plan what you want to do, that is part of the fun as well, but go with an open mind and be prepared to go with the flow :)
Bom caminho!

Coleen I don't know your pace or your time frame, and even mine is very tentative, but I expect to be at Casa da Fernanda around September 12. Maybe I will see you on the Caminho!
I'm Beginning on August 10 or 11 from Lisbon and *meadering* up from there. I plan on taking a side trip to Fatima but then it is wherever the road takes me. We probably will see each other! I'll be the slow woman under the medium size backpack smiling at the scenery and talking to the animals( and this is before my nightly glass of wine)

Well, for starters, do not miss the chance to walk around Lisbon a bit and see the sights, it is a lovely city. Walking tour here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-walking-tour-of-lisbon.7257/

My other suggestions for "do not miss" --

Tile Museum on the way out of town, though it does open a bit late for many walkers.

The albergue in Alpriate, run by the Via Lusitana. At 20 km from the cathedral, it's a great first day.

The Convento do Cristo in Tomar, beautiful.

The blue tiled little church in Golega.

The abandoned estate at Cardiga. You'll think you are in wisteria heaven.

The Villa Romana at Rabacal. A few km from town, but the museum staff will drive you out there, and the mosaics are lovely.

The Roman city/ruins of Conimbriga, near Cernache. At 2.5 euros it's a bargain, great mosaics.

Sitting in a cafe in the old town in Coimbra, just enjoying life.

The pig park in Agueda. Up the hill a bit, a shaded forest with lots of colored pig statues all over.

Having a picnic on the lovely shaded grounds in Grijo.

The view (from the high point of Gaia at the park) back across the Douro River to Porto's riverside.

When I walked, there were very few albergues, and there are now a lot, many of which get great reviews (especially Santarem, Alviaizere, Golega, Mealhada, Tomar), but I can't speak from personal experience.

I'm sure I've forgotten a lot, but this is a start.

Bom caminho, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well, for starters, do not miss the chance to walk around Lisbon a bit and see the sights, it is a lovely city. Walking tour here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-walking-tour-of-lisbon.7257/

My other suggestions for "do not miss" --

Tile Museum on the way out of town, though it does open a bit late for many walkers.

The albergue in Alpriate, run by the Via Lusitana. At 20 km from the cathedral, it's a great first day.

The Convento do Cristo in Tomar, beautiful.

The blue tiled little church in Golega.

The abandoned estate at Cardiga. You'll think you are in wisteria heaven.

The Villa Romana at Rabacal. A few km from town, but the museum staff will drive you out there, and the mosaics are lovely.

The Roman city/ruins of Conimbriga, near Cernache. At 2.5 euros it's a bargain, great mosaics.

Sitting in a cafe in the old town in Coimbra, just enjoying life.

The pig park in Agueda. Up the hill a bit, a shaded forest with lots of colored pig statues all over.

Having a picnic on the lovely shaded grounds in Grijo.

The view (from the high point of Gaia at the park) back across the Douro River to Porto's riverside.

When I walked, there were very few albergues, and there are now a lot, many of which get great reviews (especially Santarem, Alviaizere, Golega, Mealhada, Tomar), but I can't speak from personal experience.

I'm sure I've forgotten a lot, but this is a start.

Bom caminho, Laurie
The pig park! Laurie! You are my soul sista! Thank you for all the info!
Now that you've taken a stroll down memory lane I see a Camino in your future!

I'm thinking the same. I'm picturing myself there taking selfies and laughing. I love ❤️ pigs. I've been attending the "thirsty pig trial" here in Burlington, ontario, Canada. I'm following this thread and loving the suggestions. I'm walking in Aug/Sept.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm thinking the same. I'm picturing myself there taking selfies and laughing. I love ❤️ pigs. I've been attending the "thirsty pig trial" here in Burlington, ontario, Canada. I'm following this thread and loving the suggestions. I'm walking in Aug/Sept.

Ok, you two, I hope that you actually get up to the park. I've been talking about it for years and I don't think any forum members have ever been there!!!

I posted a couple of pictures on this thread. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/albergue-de-Águeda-closed.20643/

My little Brierley's for Camino Portugues is all marked up now, with stars and underlines and notes! There are no people like pilgrims to give information so freely. Some of the places mentioned are not in the Brierleys, so I have made notes on them. Are there also places I should avoid, or places that on a scale of 1 to 10 you'd give a 'meh' to?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back