• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese Coastal/Lit - Private Rooms, Bedding, Looking for Advice & Recommendations!

Time of past OR future Camino
June 24' Portuguese
Bom Dia! Buenos Dias! Remember me? I am over 3 months out from my Camino Portuguese and am getting into the route planning.

I am traveling with my 9yo from Porto to Santiago via the Coastal/Litoral Way w/ Spiritual Variant in June 2024. We are planning 20 days of walking. Lots of rambling and questions below so you can see what I am thinking/tell me I'm wrong ;) .... thank you in advance for your help here!

1) I am seeking mainly PRIVATE accommodations, for some reasons noted below
2) ^ It is my understanding that they provide bedding and towels and therefore I will not have to pack any. Is this true??? I wasn't planning on bringing any bedding if booking hotels ...
3) ^ Out of my comfort level and safety w/ my kiddo
4) ^ I am the lightest sleeper on earth and fearful of noise and not sleeping. I need sleep (have thyroid issues, no sleep = no bueno).
5) I am hoping to reduce stress and phone time by booking private accommodations in advance as much as possible
6) I also think booking in advance will be helpful for my 9yo. She is very excited to manage the map and help get us to the destination and she wants to put all the targets on the map. Silly I know, but she's is getting excited for Our Adventure and I want to lean into that!
7) I am bummed that we will miss out on the Camino Vibes / Camaraderie at the Albergues ... is it possible to get the best of both worlds in some accomodations?
8) I basically took a guide book, and went through every down on the Coastal/Litoral Way that has private rooms, and I am kind of working from that list to plan our route. I would love thoughts on this approach or any others that would help me start our plan.
9) I admit that I get quite confused about the coastal vs litoral and when adding in the variants I feel kinda lost. I know it will work out fine but just wanted to put that out there. I need to read more about these and look at the maps.
10) I would love any recommendations for any MUST STAY private rooms! I will fine tune our route more once I figure out the must stay places.
11) Here are all the places with Private Rooms According to the guide books ... we are obviously not stopping everywhere, planning for 20 days of walking, but I just needed to put pen to paper to see where there are GAPS in private room availability! The 3 Lines with Orange in the KM I couldn't quite figure out. One is way to far of a distance for us to do in one day. That might be a time when we have to rent an apartment or sleep without bedding at an albergue?

From Prior
Places w/ Private Roomskm/day
Porto0
Matosinhos11
Labruge12.5
Vila Cha2.4
Vila do Conde7.6
Póvoa de Varzim (PdoV)3.8
Santo Andre5.6
Agucadouna1.7
Apulia7
Esposende6
Antas9.2
Variant Ponte De Sebasta4
Acuisa (No Dining?)4.9
Carreco3.6
Vila Praia de Ancora9.5
Moledo4
Boat Caminha (ferry then walk to A Guarda – ?km)4.3
A Guarda5.2
Area Grande1.2
Oia11.6
Villadeususo (Vilaseuso?)0.5
As Marinas?
Baiona4.1
Last 100!Vigo23.3
Redondela13
Cessantes3.5
Arcade3.9
Pontesampaio1.5
Pontevedra11.3
Cabaleiro5.5
Poio1.9
Combarro3
Villanova De Arousa32.9
Boat Padron?
Iria Flavia0.9
A Escravitude4.3
Dicarana3
Rua de Francos2.2
Omilladonio5.9
Santiago de Compostela6.7

Thank you again so much for helping me work through these things!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Do not assume that a private room guarantees bedding and towels! Private albergue rooms are sometimes simply bare mattresses in a room separate from the rest, but that’s it. Casa Rurals, hostels, pensions, and paradors will most likely provide what you need, but always worth asking since you are planning ahead.

Bom caminho Lauren! What an exciting adventure you and your daughter are about to embark on.

2) ^ It is my understanding that they provide bedding and towels and therefore I will not have to pack any. Is this true??? I wasn't planning on bringing any bedding if booking hotels ...
In general, yes. I would confirm with each one as you book though just to be sure.

7) I am bummed that we will miss out on the Camino Vibes / Camaraderie at the Albergues ... is it possible to get the best of both worlds in some accomodations?
Some albergues also have private rooms although these will likely be more basic than at a hotel, and as Vacajoe says above, may not provide bedding/towels. Again, best to confirm with them. I would also say that the coastal doesn't have the same level of camino vibe in general as some other caminos (including the Portuguese central), so fortunately for you there is less to miss out on here.

9) I admit that I get quite confused about the coastal vs litoral and when adding in the variants I feel kinda lost. I know it will work out fine but just wanted to put that out there. I need to read more about these and look at the maps.
Everyone does! The littoral is not really a camino in and of itself, it's just sort of a series of made-up variants to the coastal. There's only one time off the top of my head (coming out of Baiona) where you are actually presented with two different paths with signage that tells you this way is one, this way is the other. The rest of the time, the littoral is just walking next to the ocean, often without arrows. You don't have to choose one path or the other from the beginning of your camino, they criss-cross and tend to meet up again at the end of the stage, so you can go back and forth.

This is what I did:
- From Porto, I took the littoral along the river to where it meets the ocean and then turns north along the ocean to Matosinhos, where it meets the coastal path. I really recommend this.
- From Esposende (my day 3), there is the option of either path to Viana do Castelo. I took the coastal (i.e. inland path) that day and enjoyed it because there was some forest walking.
- From Viana to Caminha (my day 4), there is again the option of either path. I took the littoral that day and enjoyed it, especially the mills in the early section out of Viana.
- From Baiona to Vigo, there are both options and they are signposted with an information board at the fork. I took the littoral that day and that seems to be the recommended choice.

My 'daily diary' of the Portuguese coastal is here in case you want to read more of how I did it:

Portuguese Coastal Camino Diary - Spirit of the Camino

I was really happy with all the choices I made although I can't comment on the paths I didn't take. Our friend @Elle Bieling and her husband Rich have walked all alternatives and documented them starting from here, which is a great resource:

10) I would love any recommendations for any MUST STAY private rooms! I will fine tune our route more once I figure out the must stay places.
Cala Inn in Oia is a really nice and cosy place that I recommend. They have small rooms that mostly have 3-4 beds in them but they may have ones with just two also.

11) Here are all the places with Private Rooms According to the guide books ... we are obviously not stopping everywhere, planning for 20 days of walking, but I just needed to put pen to paper to see where there are GAPS in private room availability! The 3 Lines with Orange in the KM I couldn't quite figure out. One is way to far of a distance for us to do in one day. That might be a time when we have to rent an apartment or sleep without bedding at an albergue?
The biggest gap I see here is between Combarro and Vilanova de Arousa on the Variante Espiritual. Armenteira is the obvious stop between them but there is only the albergue with no private rooms and the monastery that doesn't take bookings anymore. Others have reported here that there are some accommodation options nearby where they will offer to pick you up from Armenteira and drop you back the next morning, although some had mixed experiences with this as I recall.

Good luck and have fun!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Lauren!
What is the absolute max price you want to pay per night?
All the places i stayed were private rooms with private bathroom towels and bedding; but no good if all are above what you can afford also prices are now higher than 2 years ago!
Some were not completely sound proof but earplugs or ear buds will help!

Do not assume that a private room guarantees bedding and towels! Private albergue rooms are sometimes simply bare mattresses in a room separate from the rest, but that’s it. Casa Rurals, hostels, pensions, and paradors will most likely provide what you need, but always worth asking since you are planning ahead.
Gotcha! Thanks for that! I might try to look for the other accommodation types that you mentioned. Its a challenge when looking through the guide books that say YES there are private rooms, but they don't specify what type! I will do some more digging, thank you again!

Hello Lauren, In 2018 we walked the coastal up to Vigo before heading inland and had all pre- booked accommodation as a group of 6. All places had bedding and towels. Prices have obviously gone up, I used booking.com and gronze to find our rooms. Hostal Eleven in Esponsende is a hostel with private rooms, but I would echo the advice to ask about bedding in advance. Last year we stayed in some auberges that offered rental of sheets and towels for a few euro.
This past year we walked from Pontevedra on the Espirtual Variant over 5 days. In Armenteira, the only placesyou can book in Carbello de Prado where they will pick you up and return you the next morning, with a communal meal offered. Available through booking.com. There were 5 of us so we stayed in some apartments, but I can give you some recommendations ( Albergue a Salazon in Vilanova de Arousa has private rooms and bedding).
I will send you a private message.

Attachments

• IMG_1573.png
    IMG_1573.png
    434.9 KB · Views: 60
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi, Lauren,
You both will have a wonderful journey☀️
We did the Caminho Português in September 2016 from Porto along the coast, turning inland at Caminha along the Minho river and crossed it over the bridge at Valenca/Tui, entering Spain and proceeding along the central way to Santiago de Compostela. We did not stay at albergues.
Since you mentioned the cameraderie issue, it can experienced on a smaller scale😊 if you wish. We stayed at a really nice small private hostel at Pontevedra that was newlý opened and looked so cosy and verý welcoming that we decided to stay there and were really happy about our choice. They had a room for 6 persons with bunk beds, but also two private rooms. White and clean😊 Slow City Hostel, you can check it out on their webpage.

Bom caminho Lauren! What an exciting adventure you and your daughter are about to embark on.

In general, yes. I would confirm with each one as you book though just to be sure.

Some albergues also have private rooms although these will likely be more basic than at a hotel, and as Vacajoe says above, may not provide bedding/towels. Again, best to confirm with them. I would also say that the coastal doesn't have the same level of camino vibe in general as some other caminos (including the Portuguese central), so fortunately for you there is less to miss out on here.

Everyone does! The littoral is not really a camino in and of itself, it's just sort of a series of made-up variants to the coastal. There's only one time off the top of my head (coming out of Baiona) where you are actually presented with two different paths with signage that tells you this way is one, this way is the other. The rest of the time, the littoral is just walking next to the ocean, often without arrows. You don't have to choose one path or the other from the beginning of your camino, they criss-cross and tend to meet up again at the end of the stage, so you can go back and forth.

This is what I did:
- From Porto, I took the littoral along the river to where it meets the ocean and then turns north along the ocean to Matosinhos, where it meets the coastal path. I really recommend this.
- From Esposende (my day 3), there is the option of either path to Viana do Castelo. I took the coastal (i.e. inland path) that day and enjoyed it because there was some forest walking.
- From Viana to Caminha (my day 4), there is again the option of either path. I took the littoral that day and enjoyed it, especially the mills in the early section out of Viana.
- From Baiona to Vigo, there are both options and they are signposted with an information board at the fork. I took the littoral that day and that seems to be the recommended choice.

My 'daily diary' of the Portuguese coastal is here in case you want to read more of how I did it:

Portuguese Coastal Camino Diary - Spirit of the Camino

I was really happy with all the choices I made although I can't comment on the paths I didn't take. Our friend @Elle Bieling and her husband Rich have walked all alternatives and documented them starting from here, which is a great resource:

Cala Inn in Oia is a really nice and cosy place that I recommend. They have small rooms that mostly have 3-4 beds in them but they may have ones with just two also.

The biggest gap I see here is between Combarro and Vilanova de Arousa on the Variante Espiritual. Armenteira is the obvious stop between them but there is only the albergue with no private rooms and the monastery that doesn't take bookings anymore. Others have reported here that there are some accommodation options nearby where they will offer to pick you up from Armenteira and drop you back the next morning, although some had mixed experiences with this as I recall.

Good luck and have fun!
Thanks for your comments on this one, and the link to your diary (which I will now head off to read). This sort of very clear information will be invaluable to thinking about ways to tackle the PC. Cheers!

My mom and I walked May/June 2023 and stayed in mostly private rooms. We did the literol route from Porto to Caminha, train from Caminha to Valenca then walked central Valenca to Santiago. After our night in Porto, I booked about a day or two ahead.

Porto - Sao Bento Apartments (booking.com $163 for 2 nights) - right next to the Sao Bento train station. Small studio apartment on 2nd floor. Double bed, couch, TV, small kitchen area and bathroom. It was decent and clean.

Matosinhos: Pensao Central (booking.com $90) Small twin bed room with private bathroom, included breakfast.

Agucadoura: Agucadoura Guest House (Booking.com $43) Private twin bed room with shared bathroom. There were a few other rooms but I think we were the only ones staying there - we never heard or saw anyone else. The place is clean/decent but I wouldn't recommend since there are no services nearby - no cafe/no restaurants. There was a tiny "grocery" store about 2 blocks away where we purchased a few snacky things to eat. Did not include towels for bathroom.

Esposende: Eskama Hostel (booking.com $34). Private twin bed room with a shared bathroom. We were the only people staying here. There was a great italian place next door. Did not include towels for bathroom.

Chafe: Casa do Campo do Forno (booking.com $43) One of my favorite places to stay, the owner was so nice and accommodating. It was an old refurbished home - private room with queen bed, private bathroom. There was a communal kitchen and living room area. There was toast, OJ and coffee available for breakfast.

Caminha: Design Wine Hotel (booking.com $72). Private hotel room - King bed, private bathroom, living room. Breakfast was included - buffet style, lots of choices of breads, meats, fruits, eggs, veggies etc.

Tui: Pension La Corredera (booking.com $65) Private twin room with private bathroom.

Pontesampaio: Hostel Albergue O Meson (booking.com $42). Not really a private room, more of a private pod/enclave - room with 3 beds, the price included all 3 beds. The space had a lockable door. Shared bathroom. Did not include bedding/towels.

Pontevedra: Hotel Virgen del Camino Pontevedra (booking.com $64). Hotel room - twin beds with private bathroom, balcony, it was right on camino route. Hotel had breakfast for 6 euros.

Caldas De Rei: Hotel Lotus (booking.com $75). Private room, double bed, private bathroom, balcony, river view.

Pontescsures: A Casa do Rio (booking.com $70) Private room, twin beds, Private bathroom. Included a nice breakfast buffet - meats, cheeses, breads, cakes, toast jam, coffee, juice.

Picarana: Pension Gloriosis (booking.com $53). Private room with 3 twin beds, private bathroom. Nothing exciting about this place, I wouldn't stay here again, but it was clean and basic.

Milladoiro: Casa Rural As Bentinas( booking.com $130) most expensive place we stayed while walking. It was off the beaten path - Milladoiro was the only place we had difficulty finding a place to stay so chose this Casa Rural. It was about a 10-15 minute walk "off" the camino path. Besides the expense/location - it was beautiful! Private room with queen bed, private bathroom, breakfast was included the next day - sortment of fresh breads, meats, cheeses, juice, coffee.

Good Luck on your Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I encourage you to contact Portuguese Green Walks. My husband and I used them May 2023 when we walked the Portuguese from Vigo to Santiago. They can do all the planning for you.
We are 72 year olds and limited our walking to maximum 10 miles a day.

I encourage you to contact Portuguese Green Walks. My husband and I used them May 2023 when we walked the Portuguese from Vigo to Santiago. They can do all the planning for you.
Thank you for this recommendation!

Hi Lauren!
What is the absolute max price you want to pay per night?
All the places i stayed were private rooms with private bathroom towels and bedding; but no good if all are above what you can afford also prices are now higher than 2 years ago!
Some were not completely sound proof but earplugs or ear buds will help!
Hello! Maybe 200 euros / night max (for both of us) but I cannot do that every night! I am trying to be flexible based on what is available. If the only private room is 300 euro a night then I have to be much cheaper on other days. That probably is not helpful!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My mom and I walked May/June 2023 and stayed in mostly private rooms. We did the literol route from Porto to Caminha, train from Caminha to Valenca then walked central Valenca to Santiago. After our night in Porto, I booked about a day or two ahead.

Porto - Sao Bento Apartments (booking.com $163 for 2 nights) - right next to the Sao Bento train station. Small studio apartment on 2nd floor. Double bed, couch, TV, small kitchen area and bathroom. It was decent and clean.

Matosinhos: Pensao Central (booking.com $90) Small twin bed room with private bathroom, included breakfast.

Agucadoura: Agucadoura Guest House (Booking.com $43) Private twin bed room with shared bathroom. There were a few other rooms but I think we were the only ones staying there - we never heard or saw anyone else. The place is clean/decent but I wouldn't recommend since there are no services nearby - no cafe/no restaurants. There was a tiny "grocery" store about 2 blocks away where we purchased a few snacky things to eat. Did not include towels for bathroom.

Esposende: Eskama Hostel (booking.com $34). Private twin bed room with a shared bathroom. We were the only people staying here. There was a great italian place next door. Did not include towels for bathroom.

Chafe: Casa do Campo do Forno (booking.com $43) One of my favorite places to stay, the owner was so nice and accommodating. It was an old refurbished home - private room with queen bed, private bathroom. There was a communal kitchen and living room area. There was toast, OJ and coffee available for breakfast.

Caminha: Design Wine Hotel (booking.com $72). Private hotel room - King bed, private bathroom, living room. Breakfast was included - buffet style, lots of choices of breads, meats, fruits, eggs, veggies etc.

Tui: Pension La Corredera (booking.com $65) Private twin room with private bathroom.

Pontesampaio: Hostel Albergue O Meson (booking.com $42). Not really a private room, more of a private pod/enclave - room with 3 beds, the price included all 3 beds. The space had a lockable door. Shared bathroom. Did not include bedding/towels.

Pontevedra: Hotel Virgen del Camino Pontevedra (booking.com $64). Hotel room - twin beds with private bathroom, balcony, it was right on camino route. Hotel had breakfast for 6 euros.

Caldas De Rei: Hotel Lotus (booking.com $75). Private room, double bed, private bathroom, balcony, river view.

Pontescsures: A Casa do Rio (booking.com $70) Private room, twin beds, Private bathroom. Included a nice breakfast buffet - meats, cheeses, breads, cakes, toast jam, coffee, juice.

Picarana: Pension Gloriosis (booking.com $53). Private room with 3 twin beds, private bathroom. Nothing exciting about this place, I wouldn't stay here again, but it was clean and basic.

Milladoiro: Casa Rural As Bentinas( booking.com $130) most expensive place we stayed while walking. It was off the beaten path - Milladoiro was the only place we had difficulty finding a place to stay so chose this Casa Rural. It was about a 10-15 minute walk "off" the camino path. Besides the expense/location - it was beautiful! Private room with queen bed, private bathroom, breakfast was included the next day - sortment of fresh breads, meats, cheeses, juice, coffee.

Good Luck on your Camino!
Jamie! Obrigada! What amazing detailed notes you kept. I am so thankful for you sharing! I am bookmarking this page so I have it when I finalize my route plan. Thanks again!!

I walked this route in May/June 2023 and stayed in private rooms, mostly pensíons or small hotels. Three hotel splurges that were well worth it:
1. Fábrica do Chocolate (Viana do Castello) €77, a chocolate themed hotel in a former chocolate factory, based on the writings of Roald Dahl. My room had a Willy Wonka theme! Your daughter would love this.
2. Occidental (Vigo) €88, a delightful hotel in a great location, with huge room, bed and bathroom. A real treat.
3. Casa Herreria (Caldas de Reis) €63, right on the Camino. It was like stepping through a magical portal to a peaceful garden complete with pool! Lots of extra touches.

Good luck with your planning😊

Hello! Maybe 200 euros / night max (for both of us) but I cannot do that every night! I am trying to be flexible based on what is available. If the only private room is 300 euro a night then I have to be much cheaper on other days. That probably is not helpful!
At €200/night someone will turn up and build a room for you if necessary.

At anything even approaching that budget, with two of you sharing, you’ll certainly get towels, bedding and a very good standard of accommodation indeed.

Seriously - forget about the ‘must stay’ crap. It’s largely down to serendipity; the people not the places will make the memories.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Loren!
Ok these are the places i stayed in 2021 Hotel Atalaia B&B was the most expensive; i stayed here last October my third stay price for June 12th this year £83 for two ! (just chose a random date)

link

Below are a list of all; booked through Booking .com

PORTOMAYORS APARTMENTS
CABO DO MONDOCARAVELA
VILA DO CONDEHOTEL BRAZ AO
ESPOSENDE VILLA DOS CORCÉIS (10/10 LOVED IT/PRIVATE POOL)
VIANA DE CASTELOHOTEL LARANJEIRA (THIN WALLS WONDERFUL STAFF)
CAMINHAARCA NOVA GUEST HOUSE & HOSTEL
OIAHOTEL RAINA
BAIONAHOTEL ROMPEOLAS
VIGOHOTEL ZENIT (WAS TERRIBLE AVOID)
REDONDELAAS CHIVAS (CASA RURAL)
PONTEVEDERA HOTEL BOA VILA
COMBARROHOTEL COMBARRO
A ARMENTEIRARESERVED MONASTERY
VILANOVA DE AROUSAAPARTMENTS PASARELA
PADRONHOTEL CHEF RIVERA
SANTIAGOHOTEL ATALAIA B&B (STAYED HERE 3 TIMES now CRISTINA IS SO HELPFUL)

Are you using Gronze website makes life so much easier for planning stages and accommodation
Link for the Coastal and Senda (in Spanish but Google Chrome browser translates to English)

Hope this helps and you have some luck!
All the best
Woody

Hello Lauren,
Here are some suggestions and contact info for the Spititual Variate where there are not as many options for shorter days

Attachments

• IMG_1576.png
    IMG_1576.png
    493.9 KB · Views: 43
I walked this route in May/June 2023 and stayed in private rooms, mostly pensíons or small hotels. Three hotel splurges that were well worth it:
1. Fábrica do Chocolate (Viana do Castello) €77, a chocolate themed hotel in a former chocolate factory, based on the writings of Roald Dahl. My room had a Willy Wonka theme! Your daughter would love this.
2. Occidental (Vigo) €88, a delightful hotel in a great location, with huge room, bed and bathroom. A real treat.
3. Casa Herreria (Caldas de Reis) €63, right on the Camino. It was like stepping through a magical portal to a peaceful garden complete with pool! Lots of extra touches.

Good luck with your planning😊
Thank you SO MUCH for these recommendations and for thinking about my daughter. She would LOVE the sounds of these, especially the chocolate! I’m adding it to my list and bookmarking! Obrigado!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
100€ a night would be extravagant, so you’ll definitely stay within your budget!

HI Lauren-- Been on that route several times, solo and with my sister, also with spouse and old friends from college. In Iria Flavia (just past Padron), there is the Hotel Scala. It os excellent. They have a large restaurant, so dinner is available right there. Ample breakfast was included. Good bed and breakfast at Casa Loureiro (https://casaloureiro.com/) just west of Caldas de Reis-- stayed there 3 times. It's run by Jose and Maria. They will transport you to and from the taxi stand, either of the two churches or the foot bath area (it's not a big town so all of these are very close to each other and I think they all show up on Brierley's guidebook). A nice dinner is served, along with a great breakfast. This is a comfortable place. I sent others there and they loved it! Pontevedra: a favorite is Hotel Boa Vila (in old town with restaurants right across the street, right on the camino path- also stayed at the Rias Bajas. Booking.com lists both of these-- would book Scala and Loureiro directly, although I think both are also listed on Booking).
I used Booking to get a place in Porto (fabulous city-- be sure and explore some of it), I used TI offices in Portugal to help me find places to stay while going through that section. Going through the listing on Booking.com or Gronze will give you an idea of what's available. I would agree that it's wise to lay out you plan-- look at hill profiles to figure out what you think you and your daughter could handle and book from there. And it won't be the end of the world to need to use bus or taxi for part of it. My sister developed an orthopedic problem and had to take it easy. We were on the Spansih side of that route and the N-550 is pretty regularly served by a public bus line.
Good luck to your daughter-- you'll have a fabulous time! Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Bom Dia! Buenos Dias! Remember me? I am over 3 months out from my Camino Portuguese and am getting into the route planning.

I am traveling with my 9yo from Porto to Santiago via the Coastal/Litoral Way w/ Spiritual Variant in June 2024. We are planning 20 days of walking. Lots of rambling and questions below so you can see what I am thinking/tell me I'm wrong ;) .... thank you in advance for your help here!

1) I am seeking mainly PRIVATE accommodations, for some reasons noted below
3) ^ Out of my comfort level and safety w/ my kiddo
4) ^ I am the lightest sleeper on earth and fearful of noise and not sleeping. I need sleep (have thyroid issues, no sleep = no bueno).
5) I am hoping to reduce stress and phone time by booking private accommodations in advance as much as possible
6) I also think booking in advance will be helpful for my 9yo. She is very excited to manage the map and help get us to the destination and she wants to put all the targets on the map. Silly I know, but she's is getting excited for Our Adventure and I want to lean into that!
8) I basically took a guide book, and went through every down on the Coastal/Litoral Way that has private rooms, and I am kind of working from that list to plan our route. I would love thoughts on this approach or any others that would help me start our plan.

From Prior
Places w/ Private Roomskm/day
Porto0
Matosinhos11
Labruge12.5
Vila Cha2.4
Vila do Conde7.6
Póvoa de Varzim (PdoV)3.8
Santo Andre5.6
Agucadouna1.7
Apulia7
Esposende6
Antas9.2
Variant Ponte De Sebasta4
Acuisa (No Dining?)4.9
Carreco3.6
Vila Praia de Ancora9.5
Moledo4
BoatCaminha (ferry then walk to A Guarda – ?km)4.3
A Guarda5.2
Area Grande1.2
Oia11.6
Villadeususo (Vilaseuso?)0.5
As Marinas?
Baiona4.1
Last 100!Vigo23.3
Redondela13
Cessantes3.5
Arcade3.9
Pontesampaio1.5
Pontevedra11.3
Cabaleiro5.5
Poio1.9
Combarro3
Villanova De Arousa32.9
BoatPadron?
Iria Flavia0.9
A Escravitude4.3
Dicarana3
Rua de Francos2.2
Omilladonio5.9
Santiago de Compostela6.7

Thank you again so much for helping me work through these things!
Casa Antas is brilliant and worth a short detour from the coastal path. We call this our Glamino because we stay in Airbnbs and small hotels as far as possible. 🤗

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
HI Lauren-- Been on that route several times, solo and with my sister, also with spouse and old friends from college. In Iria Flavia (just past Padron), there is the Hotel Scala. It os excellent. They have a large restaurant, so dinner is available right there. Ample breakfast was included. Good bed and breakfast at Casa Loureiro (https://casaloureiro.com/) just west of Caldas de Reis-- stayed there 3 times. It's run by Jose and Maria. They will transport you to and from the taxi stand, either of the two churches or the foot bath area (it's not a big town so all of these are very close to each other and I think they all show up on Brierley's guidebook). A nice dinner is served, along with a great breakfast. This is a comfortable place. I sent others there and they loved it! Pontevedra: a favorite is Hotel Boa Vila (in old town with restaurants right across the street, right on the camino path- also stayed at the Rias Bajas. Booking.com lists both of these-- would book Scala and Loureiro directly, although I think both are also listed on Booking).
I used Booking to get a place in Porto (fabulous city-- be sure and explore some of it), I used TI offices in Portugal to help me find places to stay while going through that section. Going through the listing on Booking.com or Gronze will give you an idea of what's available. I would agree that it's wise to lay out you plan-- look at hill profiles to figure out what you think you and your daughter could handle and book from there. And it won't be the end of the world to need to use bus or taxi for part of it. My sister developed an orthopedic problem and had to take it easy. We were on the Spansih side of that route and the N-550 is pretty regularly served by a public bus line.
Good luck to your daughter-- you'll have a fabulous time! Buen Camino!
Thank you so much for all of this wonderful advice and the recommendations! It is MUCH appreciated!!! Thanks for sharing :)

Hi! I actually have been emailing with Portuguese Greenwalks and they told me that they could not plan a trip for me as they don't plan trips for children, aren't insured for children, and don't recommend me bringing a child on the trip! I am a little upset, their response has thrown me for a loop a bit!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi! I actually have been emailing with Portuguese Greenwalks and they told me that they could not plan a trip for me as they don't plan trips for children, aren't insured for children, and don't recommend me bringing a child on the trip! I am a little upset, their response has thrown me for a loop a bit!
There are many other tour organisers if you feel you need one. Clearly PG can set their own parameters for the clientele they want to engage with, but IMHO they’re wrong, you’re right and you know better than anyone else what your daughter is capable of.

Caminoways.com specifically describe and facilitate the route as a ‘family’ Camino. Note: this is not a recommendation, I don’t know the company.

Last edited:
There are many other tour organisers if you feel you ned one. Clearly PG can set their own parameters for the clientele they want to engage with, but IMHO they’re wrong, you’re right and you know better than anyone else what your daughter is capable of.

Caminoways.com specifically describe and facilitate the route as a ‘family’ Camino. Note: this is not a recommendation, I don’t know the vompany.
Thank you Henry!!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back