• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best app for accommodations along the Portuguese?

laurenjk

Time of past OR future Camino
When I walked the Francés last fall, I used Camino Ninja (which, then already officially "dead," was wonderful). What app have you used to find and then book albergues, hostels, etc. along the Portuguese? I will be on the coast for the first day, then the inland route. Porto-Santiago. I'm looking to book as I walk. Looking for personal experience...not links to all the apps out there!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I used Wise Pilgrim app in April. I used the paid version but the free version seems exactly the same. Just make sure to open the app while on Wi-Fi each morning to refresh it. While the CP is well marked there were parts that weren’t marked or maybe I was confused so I found the app valuable.

I used Wise Pilgrim app in April. I used the paid version but the free version seems exactly the same. Just make sure to open the app while on Wi-Fi each morning to refresh it. While the CP is well marked there were parts that weren’t marked or maybe I was confused so I found the app valuable.
Just wanted to add that the paid version has considerably more content and features.

Yes. And also in Spanish. But I used it last year and found it helpful. But the Wise Pilgrim app is pretty good, although you have to pay.

Bom Caminho
True; but by ‘pay’ we’re not talking ‘have to sell a kidney’ territory. It’s about the price of a drink in the UK.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just wanted to add that the paid version has considerably more content and features.
I wasn’t sure. My apologies for not saying I didn’t really know. I should have just said the navigation seemed the same but perhaps that is wrong too. Thank you for clarifying.

Gronze is still only an website, though, correct?
@laurenjk, I was avoiding giving an answer to this on the basis that I have no idea what the best app is and you provided no criteria on which to frame such advice. However, There is a Gronze app. Details can be found on the web page, somewhat surprisingly by clicking on the menu item 'App' on the top menu bar of the website. It has been available for a while. I have used it, and it provides a quite effective map and contact details tool for all the Gronze content, or works as a portal into the website if more information is required. Not available yet for iOS, but certainly for Android.

I have used Wise Pilgrim on the Portuguese and Sanabres routes. The developer is a forum member, and is quite responsive to questions and comments. Issues that I had with the Plata app on the Sanabres were fixed overnight.

My personal view is that there is no one best app. In regards to accommodation on the CP and the VE, I used a combination of Wise Pilgrim, Gronze (app and webpage), Brierley, booking.com and Google Maps. I would never have found all the places that I did stay with just one app.

I also have the Buen Camino app loaded, but haven't use it much at all, and have no comment about it. The interface might suit you better, so it's worth checking out.

You also don't indicate whether you will have a data connexion continuously available, or only connecting sporadically. This might be a factor in your consideration along with aspects like whether the information is kept current, whether you want to see feedback from others, links to other tools like WhatsApp and booking.com, whether you want to navigate through a list or use a map.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gronze is still only an website, though, correct?
No, it also has an app. It's directly available through their website. Look in the main menu for 'App'. I think they're still in the process of perfecting it, but it might be worth taking a look at.

And try it while using Wise Pilgrim as well.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi!
Here is what i did for my Portuguese and Espiritual Variant before i walked!
Installed OSMAND+ on my phone and tab (has voice navigation)
Installed a GPX track from the Dutch Fraternity of St James.

Sorted my stages and with Gronze, ; added all possible options from there;that i thought were worth staying at along the way to OSMAND+ as favorites .
(Gronze gave me all the places closest to the path i used comments from there Booking and WisePilgrim to help hopefully weed out the bad ones!)
OSMAND announces when you are approaching each favorite/accommodation along the way and when you have past it (gave me the nod to turn round before walking into the sunset ;worked well)
I followed the GPX track but used WisPilgrim for info; for me was the best of all the apps i tried!
Simple layout and easy to use with extra info,reviews, whatsapp numbers and more.
(my assistive tech,text to speech had the least issues)
Had to postpone my Frances in May (duff leg) now looking at September from Leon;will defo use WisePilgrim again
Buen Camino
Woody

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My personal view is that there is no one best app. In regards to accommodation on the CP and the VE, I used a combination of Wise Pilgrim, Gronze (app and webpage), Brierley, booking.com and Google Maps. I would never have found all the places that I did stay with just one app.
So true about this comment. Are use wise pilgrim Buen Camino in Gronze. It is especially helpful because as you said no one app has every listing on where to sleep. They are especially useful if you walk in winter or on the less traveled caminos.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, but it's only for Android, and it's only the maps. It also only works if you have a data connection - no offline content. (Yet)
I think I made it clear that the current version is for Android. As for it needing a data connexion, that is true, and I'm not sure how many members are going to find that limiting. I normally buy a 30 day pre-paid SIM with a reasonable amount of data, so it doesn't really worry me. These are relatively inexpensive, but there may be some who find that limiting. In that case, the Gronze app probably won't be for them.

My main concern is that there are members who are still saying there is no Gronze app when there quite clearly is one. Whether one uses the app, or the web site directly, it gives you access to the range of information developed and curated by the Gronze team. It is a great resource.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I'm doing the camino portugues starting July 6th from Porto to santiago a mixture of coast and inland. I'm worried about getting lost. Any tips. Also will I be able to use my Irish phone over their or shud I get a sim card when in Porto

I think I made it clear that the current version is for Android. As for it needing a data connexion, that is true, and I'm not sure how many members are going to find that limiting. I normally buy a 30 day pre-paid SIM with a reasonable amount of data, so it doesn't really worry me. These are relatively inexpensive, but there may be some who find that limiting. In that case, the Gronze app probably won't be for them.

My main concern is that there are members who are still saying there is no Gronze app when there quite clearly is one. Whether one uses the app, or the web site directly, it gives you access to the range of information developed and curated by the Gronze team. It is a great resource.
Hi were did u buy your 30 day sim

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I hear you on Camino Ninja, that was a great app. Used it in combination with booking, google and brierly.

I use maps.me (free) for navigation, you can download your gpx file to it, add whatever places you want by bookmarking them (hotels, restaurants, supermarkets, sights) and then navigate to it off line. I would prepare it the night before and then set off in the morning. Works great.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Kildare!
Just wondered if Irish mobiles have free roaming in Europe
I know post-Brexit that there was little change by the UK telcos, and I am currently using a UK SIM which has quite successfully roamed in Spain and Portugal. This year, the SIMs that were delivered for my wife were from a Spanish telco, and she is now successfully roaming in the UK.

I understand that there isn't a guarantee that this will continue into the future, and UK telcos would be free to change their practices within any limits established by the UK government to protect mobile users from things like excessive roaming charges.

Just got back home yesterday after completing Lisbon to Santiago (arrived in SdC 18th June) I used the paid wise pilgrim app - found a couple of route changes that were well marked physically along the way but a bit disconcerting to find yourself off route on the app otherwise the app good to check progress/position. Used mostly wisepilgrim and gronze for accommodation. Bought a 30 day prepaid SIM from vodaphone on arrival in Lisbon and another in Pontevedra which I used on roaming in Spain.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi I'm doing the camino portugues starting July 6th from Porto to santiago a mixture of coast and inland. I'm worried about getting lost. Any tips. Also will I be able to use my Irish phone over their or shud I get a sim card when in Porto
Use the Wise Pilgrim app for wayfinding. It’s $4.99. I don’t know how well marked the coast is but I heard it’s pretty easy because you are literally walking a coast path or boardwalk the whole time. I would assume connecting to the central might be tricky but the app will help. I don’t know about your Irish phone because I’m American and I just paid for data on the days I used it.

When I walked the Francés last fall, I used Camino Ninja (which, then already officially "dead," was wonderful). What app have you used to find and then book albergues, hostels, etc. along the Portuguese? I will be on the coast for the first day, then the inland route. Porto-Santiago. I'm looking to book as I walk. Looking for personal experience...not links to all the apps out there!!
Use google.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back