• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi, I live in Nepal and am planning to walk the Le Puy route in August

AnnieG

Time of past OR future Camino
end May to June 2014
Hi, would August be ok to walk the Le Puy route? I would like to do about 21 days and the head back to Paris to fly back home.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@AnnieG , kia ora (greetings)

I started from Le Puy on Wednesday, 6 April 2016 and arrived at Saint-Jean on Monday, 1 May. I had two rest days and the effective equivalent of two days of car lifts.

While one of the older walkers I was possibly amongst the fittest for purpose with a relatively lightweight pack and gear. My training included a significant amount of elevation gain by going up hills when training. I suspect getting this aspect will not be a problem for you.

Looking at train routes to return from I suggest you consider walking from Le Puy to Moissac. This is about 14 days walking. The next train line is just after Arthez-de-Bearn at Orthez. Even for me (!!!) that would be more than 3 weeks walking.

Getting to Le Puy: I suggest arrival at Charles de Gaulle and immediately train to Lyon. At least one night there and then through train to Le Puy - the gorge by train with large very tall windows is tremendous.

I also suggest, if you will, being at the early morning (7 am?) Mass in the Cathedral to experience the sending out.

At Moissac I highly recommend the gite-de-etape (backpacker hostel) La Petite Lumiere (LaPetiteLumiere@free.fr). It is up a stiff climb from near the Abbey with brilliant views. Anne is a great host and has a grand eveing meal.

I wish you well on your journey and be pleased to answer any questions.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Thank you so much for your response, very informative and i can make a definite plan with this. Appreciate you taking time to answer. So you think i should not walk as far as Condom or further, and just do this amount, as i am thinking of only doing 3 weeks this time.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@AnnieG , kia ora.

The question is how long is a piece of string? Or relevant here, how fit, in mind and body, are you for walking 21 days, day after day?

If you are up to it, it is possible to achieve Saint-Jean in 21 days walking at an average of more 35 km each and every day!

I was not certain whether the 21 days in your original post was from home (Nepal) back to home also included air and ground travel to Le Puy and back from your end point. This aspect might consume five or six days including ground travel and stop overs caused by a need to wait for the next connection.

If travel to and from is additional then that makes for a more ambitious intention. For example, consider these hypothetical calcultions.

stge totl days at 21 km per day
000 000 00 Le Puy
416 416 20 Moissac
088 504 04 Condom
082 586 04 Aire-sur-l'Adour
------ ------ 28 days total

stge totl days at 27 km per day
000 000 00 Le Puy
416 416 15 Moissac
088 504 03 Condom
082 586 03 Aire-sur-l'Adour
------ ------ 21 days total

A fall back process might be to aim for Condom or Aire and to make an assessment at Moissac of how far to continue.

Have you researched ground transport from Moissac, Condom and Aire onto your departure point from France? You might find that to be a limiting factor.

Depending on your interests you may wish to take half or full day stops at relevant places along your route, or even adjust your route to take them in.

There is nothing sacred about the route as such. You will have heard the expression "your journey is your journey". So there is no accountability to anyone for why you chose to walk other than the designated trail.

I would be pleased to continue this conversation.

Kia kaha

Thank you so much for your detailed responses. Yes, i have checked on where to get a bus or train back to Paris from. I am reasonably fit, but havent done any training as such. When I walked the Northern Spanish route my first time around in 2014, (I did only 4 days then, as I had to leave suddenly and return due to a sick pet), I walked up hill and down hill and did between 25 to 30 kms on those days. Left the hostels by 7 am each day and reached the destination for the day by 3-4 pm, with one short stop on the way for a sandwich and water etc.. And yes, I will do some more homework, I do not want to rush just to complete it, but want to enjoy each place as well. So will plan on a shorter duration, and end from where there is easy access to a bus or train to return to Paris. I do want to return every year if I can to complete the whole journey. It is a spiritual journey for me and a meditative process as well. I find walking by myself very meditative. A little worried about August as it is the holiday period in France and wondering about pre-booking hostels etc.. You information is great and going to study the links and resources you have mentioned. Kind Regards.

Here is the very useful trip planning site for the Le Puy route. I have links to other helpful sites for this route and will post them if you would like.

Tom

https://godesalco.com/plan/podense

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am reasonably fit, but havent done any training as such.

Accepting that we are all different (stamina, feet, what we are comfortable carrying on our backs, the number and length of rest stops we take, etc) I suggest the following for your consideration during your preparation:

* always carry your pack loaded as when walking in France
* work up to completing, say, 15 km before stopping for breakfast
* work up to an elevation gain of, say, 400 m before stopping for breakfast

For most of us our training is on routes we already know, so the fcous is on improving our stamina etc rather than looking at the passing scenery, architecture or whatever.

I still remember my first days out from Le Puy: being passed by others, stopping at every chapel, noting the electricity pylons and how they differed from those at home, the old and new farm buildings, catching up with a woman I had met as she was starting the day before, the large number of con trails overhead and so on.

The woman and I were different in our expectations. She had planned to take two days to get to St-Privat (and did) while that 25 km trip was one of my shortest. The stamina etc I had developed during training allowed me to get through the distance and smell the roses.

Kia kaha

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
HI Tom, could you please post the other sites you had? Thank you very much. I leave on the 9th.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back