• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi! I plan to walk in a month

Beginner

Hello,

How are you?
I have a change to walk to Santiago de Compostela in one month, but I'm worried am I in that good physical condition. I have 15 kg:s overweight, and I haven't been training at all :oops: (since I got this opportunity only about a week ago). I have 5 weeks to walk.

What do you recommend, should I try or is it wise just to leave it?

Thank you all.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'd say just watch your heartbeat stays nice and steady - slow down if it speeds up, and watch out for damage to your lower joints/ligaments.

I'm late 50's with a body like an old overstuffed mattress (since I gave up smoking ages ago) and a duff knee from an old trauma --- I practised by starting a couple of weeks back in France and just, well, did it and it worked, though I'm no couch lizard so it wasn't a completely wild shock to my body.

You will meet utter ancients, heavy people, disabled people - just listen to your body, get a rythym going, and take care and have fun.

Be not afraid, this has been going on for over 1200 years - jump in! (and you can always pray for help you know!)

Obviously the advice would be to take things easy-at least initially. I had some carliege removed about 9 months before walking the vdlp and did plenty of walking before I left. I had no problems-one small blister but met others who buggered knees or crippled themselves with blisters. One woman regretted not losing weight before had as the weight she was carrying stuffed her knees and she had to stop.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
hola Beginner!
what day r you starting and from where?
you walking all the way to santiago?
im far of being in shape 2
but im only 30 (31 on my way to satiago)
and under weight :S
im leaving canada the 27 for toulouse from there ill be taking train(hopefully i dont end up in estern europe :p)to st-jean-pied.. i should start walking on the 28-29(28 if its not too late)
ill be solo walking soul searching and hopefully i dont turn in too my pic :wink:

Hello,

and thank you.
My holiday starts at Eastern, and I don't know yet from where tho start.
I have 4 (or absolutely maximun 5) weeks, and will walk quite slowly. Maybe 15-20 kilometers in a day, so I'll need to so some math...

I won't be having any time at all to exercise before leaving, but loosing weight is something I can do. Let's see... in one month... maybe I'll be 5 kilos smaller :?

Yes. I do even try it. I can come back home if I don't make it -this time.

:) Thank you.

Hi Beginner.

Statrt walking 20" a day now, slowly, then gradually a bit faster.

When you feel comfortbale, increase it to 30" and so on.

On the Camino, plan for short walks for the first couple of weeks.

You'll be fine.

Buen Camino peregrina 8)

xm

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back