• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi! Newbie, here. Looking for seasoned advice on 100k routes & vacay ideas!

Carol2024

Time of past OR future Camino
100K Route (Frances, Portugues, English)
Hi, all! I have searched the threads & have learned so much from you all. What a great resource this forum is! Thx so much!!!

That being said, I am still confused about which 100k route to select for me & my hubby (50s). We are looking at Oct/Nov '24 & definitely want the compostela certificate. We are interested scenery/history, a bit of solitude & just taking in the journey itself (not so much the social aspect). Hoping for 5 days of walking and a few days afterward of relaxing somewhere nearby (plane /train/etc ok).

I was initially thinking the Camino Frances route as we are newbies and it just kinda makes sense. I am fine with that! It may be our one & only Camino so I want to make sure I explore all options before selecting a route. I heard about some road walking on the Frances which led me to just take a look at other routes. Camino Ingles from Ferrol looks intriguing as well as the Camino Portugues from either Vigo or Tui!

If you have experience walking in Oct/Nov, &/or have thoughts on a good route for us, I'd love to hear your ideas!

Also, if anyone has traveled after a Camino/mini Camino for a relaxing break for a few days/week afterward, where did you go & where do you recommend?

Thx, again for the information. I look forward to hearing from you all!

Carol2024 :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi, all! I have searched the threads & have learned so much from you all. What a great resource this forum is! Thx so much!!!

That being said, I am still confused about which 100k route to select for me & my hubby (50s). We are looking at Oct/Nov '24 & definitely want the compostela certificate. We are interested scenery/history, a bit of solitude & just taking in the journey itself (not so much the social aspect). Hoping for 5 days of walking and a few days afterward of relaxing somewhere nearby (plane /train/etc ok).

I was initially thinking the Camino Frances route as we are newbies and it just kinda makes sense. I am fine with that! It may be our one & only Camino so I want to make sure I explore all options before selecting a route. I heard about some road walking on the Frances which led me to just take a look at other routes. Camino Ingles from Ferrol looks intriguing as well as the Camino Portugues from either Vigo or Tui!

If you have experience walking in Oct/Nov, &/or have thoughts on a good route for us, I'd love to hear your ideas!

Also, if anyone has traveled after a Camino/mini Camino for a relaxing break for a few days/week afterward, where did you go & where do you recommend?

Thx, again for the information. I look forward to hearing from you all!

Carol2024 :)
I don't think the last 100 km of the CF has that much road walking. There are a few farm lanes, but the only real road walking is once you get to Santiago going through town to get to the cathedral. I love to go to Muxia after a Camino. So peaceful and quiet. You can walk or take the bus there and back...We like to stay at Bela Muxia in the penthouse apartment if they are still open when you are there.

On the CF, there lots of historical bits to see in the last 100 km. (Churches, castle, iron age hill fort, etc.)

Last edited:
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

As a Newbie I would like to recommend the Camino frances from Sarria. Very easy to reach by train, bus or plane. Your experience will be best compressed to the last 100k. Many Spaniards walk that part.

I walked last year the Camino Portuguese, but the part from Sarria is IMHO more interesting and diverse in landscape.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'd say you have narrowed down your choices quite well already and can't go wrong with any of the three routes you have mentioned.
I do agree with @Roland49 though, the Frances has such a nice variety of landscape and interesting villages.For a first and possibly only Camino, it would be my choice.

Although I am a big fan of the Inglés I would also advise the Francés for both of you. Especially if this might be your only opportunity.
Oct/ Nov will give you enough solitude but at the same time you can experience the pilgrim vibe!
I also liked the Portugues but for a first Camino nothing beats the Francés.
Happy preparations!

Although I am a big fan of the Inglés I would also advise the Francés for both of you. Especially if this might be your only opportunity.
Oct/ Nov will give you enough solitude but at the same time you can experience the pilgrim vibe!
Happy preparations!

Would have to agree with that.
Though I have only walked four routes so far sadly.
The Frances is special.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As far as vacation ideas, I flew to the Canary Islands after one Camino and I have gone to Porto to start a second Camino several times but just going to Porto and staying for a few days can make for a wonderful vacation.

If this is likely to be one and done, then the Frances from Sarria is what a majority of pilgrims would choose.

As for afterwards...Santiago is good for a couple of days exploration. Or Muxia.
Or Lugo ( tho that might only be good for a couple of days)
Or even Madrid.
Or, fly back with Tap Portugal and take advantage of their 72 hour layover in either Lisbon or Porto at no extra flight cost.

Buen Camino.

I'm with everyone in giving a thumbs-up for the Francés.

As for afterwards, much depends on your preferences about what a good vacation looks like. Personally, I'd head up to A Coruña - a small coastal city a short hop from Santiago by train with a lot of history and a really nice vibe.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Post Camino: Porto - it’s a shortish bus or train ride away.

Post-camino, I would be tempted to take the train back to earlier cities on the CF, which you will not have had the opportunity to walk through. Beautiful Burgos and/or Leon spring to mind.

As far as vacation ideas, I flew to the Canary Islands after one Camino and I have gone to Porto to start a second Camino several times but just going to Porto and staying for a few days can make for a wonderful vacation.
Agree. Porto would be my call if you want to do something close, but given the time of year I would think about the Canary Islands which will be warm! About a three hours flight (although you ‘gain back’ an hour flying there due time difference) with one ways flights from around €20 to €50 plus luggage. You can leave SCQ at 0600 and be on the beach for 0900!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't think the last 100 km of the CF has that much road walking. There are a few farm lanes, but the only real road walking is once you get to Santiago going through town to get to the cathedral. I love to go to Muxia after a Camino. So peaceful and quiet. You can walk or take the bus there and back...We like to stay at Bela Muxia in the penthouse apartment if they are still open when you are there.

On the CF, there lots of historical bits to see in the last 100 km. (Churches, castle, iron age hill fort, etc.)
Thank you for your response! It's helpful & much appreciated. I'll definitely do my research on Muxia!

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

As a Newbie I would like to recommend the Camino frances from Sarria. Very easy to reach by train, bus or plane. Your experience will be best compressed to the last 100k. Many Spaniards walk that part.

I walked last year the Camino Portuguese, but the part from Sarria is IMHO more interesting and diverse in landscape.
Thx, Roland49! Having advice from those who have done the walk is super helpful! The Camino Frances seems to be the way to go for us!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'd say you have narrowed down your choices quite well already and can't go wrong with any of the three routes you have mentioned.
I do agree with @Roland49 though, the Frances has such a nice variety of landscape and interesting villages.For a first and possibly only Camino, it would be my choice.
Thx, CaminoChrissy! All signs are pointing to Camino Frances for us. Excited!

Happy preparations!
Thank you SabsP. I am excited to say, with the help of the wonderful people on this forum, we are going to start planning for the Camino Frances! Maybe someday we can go back & try other routes! Thx, again!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you for your suggestions, naples don! Those are 2 vacay suggestions I am off to start researching! Thx, again. :)

If this is likely to be one and done, then the Frances from Sarria is what a majority of pilgrims would choose.

As for afterwards...Santiago is good for a couple of days exploration. Or Muxia.
Or Lugo ( tho that might only be good for a couple of days)
Or even Madrid.
Or, fly back with Tap Portugal and take advantage of their 72 hour layover in either Lisbon or Porto at no extra flight cost.

Buen Camino.
Consensus agrees with you! I feel so much better about going on the Camino Frances after the advice from you & others in the forum. I love your suggestion for afterward! Will research those options for sure! Thx, again!

I'm with everyone in giving a thumbs-up for the Francés.

As for afterwards, much depends on your preferences about what a good vacation looks like. Personally, I'd head up to A Coruña - a small coastal city a short hop from Santiago by train with a lot of history and a really nice vibe.
Thx, VNwalking! Frances, it is! Love your suggestion for vacay. I'm going to research it now.Thx, again!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Post-camino, I would be tempted to take the train back to earlier cities on the CF, which you will not have had the opportunity to walk through. Beautiful Burgos and/or Leon spring to mind.
Takahiwai, thx! I appreciate your input. Adding these to my list for research! :)

Agree. Porto would be my call if you want to do something close, but given the time of year I would think about the Canary Islands which will be warm! About a three hours flight (although you ‘gain back’ an hour flying there due time difference) with one ways flights from around €20 to €50 plus luggage. You can leave SCQ at 0600 and be on the beach for 0900!
Thank you, TravellingMan22! I like the way you think! It's definitely going on my list! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last edited:
If you go to the Azores (and its a great set of islands) and fly on Azores Airlines, you can get a free stopover in either direction which is a great incentive!!

This explains it !

I don't know about now but when my husband and I went we had to hop island to island via boat.
My family is on Flores and Pico.
His family is on Sao Miguel and Terceira.

€60,-
I don't know about now but when my husband and I went we had to hop island to island via boat.
His family is on Sao Miguel and Terceira

Yes indeed. Great place to have family!! I think I did 5 of the 9 (?) Islands and took the boat between them though I used the ‘free flight’ to go to the furthest Island from Ponto Delgado and then ‘sail back’! Something like that anyway! Not many island will have airports as you intimate! The ones you list all look familiar! Ah Mount Pico… I have just remembered!

I guess whilst we are on that territory it’s worth recommending Madeira too!!

Last edited:
His family is on Sao Miguel and Terceira.
The shorter boat rides (eg Flores-Pico) are still on but the longer ones (eg São Miguel-Terceira) are becoming less and less of an option now, since it’s easier/quicker/more reliable/not expensive to fly.

Thx, Roland49! Having advice from those who have done the walk is super helpful! The Camino Frances seems to be the way to go for us!
I second to travel to Porto. Wonderful city! Not too expensive, much to see and do and amazing scenery!
Stayed there for three more relaxing days after my CP last year. Amazing!

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.