• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking buddy wanted

OlaB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago (2014)
Hi there,

I’m hoping to walk the Camino de Santiago late June/early July of 2019 before I head off to university, and I’m looking for a hiking buddy. I’d like to start in Irun but I’m flexible in terms of itinerary and I’m looking to finish in a span of 5-6 weeks. Please let me know if anyone is interested and we can get in touch!

Ola

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'd really suggest going it alone.
What happens if you have different speeds?
Or if you don't get on.
Or if one of you supports Manchester United?
Or if you meet someone amazing and your buddy hates them?
Or if you find a place and want to have a day there but buddy wants to carry on?
I'm sure at that time of year you won't be alone for long..
Buen Camino

Hi there,

I’m hoping to walk the Camino de Santiago late June/early July of 2019 before I head off to university, and I’m looking for a hiking buddy. I’d like to start in Irun but I’m flexible in terms of itinerary and I’m looking to finish in a span of 5-6 weeks. Please let me know if anyone is interested and we can get in touch!

Ola
Don't worry, you will find many others on the trail in the summer.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi there,

Ola

Ola,

I wish you well for your Camino.

I have thought very carefully before replying to your message, and I fully expect to be shot down in flames for what I am about to say.

Please try to understand my reason for this reply, for my conscience tells me I must.

I'm guessing you are a young person, let's say under 25? If I am wrong, forgive me.

All I want to do is in this message is to remind you that not all who respond requests to such as yours on the internet, are people you can trust.

Buen (be safe in your thoughts and actions) Camino

Hi there,

Ola
I plan on walking the Norte again time is good but I hope to go first to Lourdes and walk from there to SJPD, take train to Irun. but still not etched in stone. keep in touch.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
And just to add, when I walked the Norte this past summer I'd say that at least half the pilgrims were in their 20's, so you'll be in good company.

Hi there,

Ola
There is a Facebook group called Camigas. It is a networking group for women who are traveling on the Camino de Santiago and who want to buddy up with other women.

Buen Camino!

I plan on walking the Norte again time is good but I hope to go first to Lourdes and walk from there to SJPD, take train to Irun. but still not etched in stone. keep in touch.
I also sugest that planning your journey alone is the best. You will met many other pilgrims also walking alone...and very quickly you will recognisse the person or persons that walk like you, are in the same circle if thought that you and you will feel that magic, unexpected pilugrim bonding.
The Camino will take care of All you beed. Have trust and you will find...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'd really suggest going it alone.
What happens if you have different speeds?
Or if you don't get on.
Or if one of you supports Manchester United?
Or if you meet someone amazing and your buddy hates them?
Or if you find a place and want to have a day there but buddy wants to carry on?
I'm sure at that time of year you won't be alone for long..
Buen Camino
Thanks for the advise!

I also sugest that planning your journey alone is the best. You will met many other pilgrims also walking alone...and very quickly you will recognisse the person or persons that walk like you, are in the same circle if thought that you and you will feel that magic, unexpected pilugrim bonding.
The Camino will take care of All you beed. Have trust and you will find...
Thank you, I might give it a go

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks, but I wouldn’t want to conflict with your other plans. Buen Camino!

One of the really cool aspects of the camino is meeting new people everyday, and being able to walk with them for as little or as long as it works for both of you. I'm 68 and walked with dutch men in their 20s, 2 Spanish ladies in their 40's and 50's (for 3 days) A 60 year old Irish lady and a 50 year old Australian lady (for 3 days) , an Englishman in his 50's for two days, A couple from Venezuela for a day, a lady from Verona on and off for a few days, a lady from Milan for a day, a couple from a Seattle suburb and another retired couple from Seattle, two nurses from Australia, a fast walking lady from Perth (who would wait up for the rest of us at the next café) a young (30ish?) guy and his younger sister from South Africa. Many times you will walk with someone for a day or two, get separated for all kinds of reasons, and then bump into each other a week or two later. There were a few days when I walked alone most of the day, but most of the time (September) I could see someone in front or behind me when alone (you will enjoy the peace and solitude of these moments) As mentioned by others above, a "permanent" walking buddy is not a requirement for having a fantastic experience on the camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi there,

Ola

It's all been said...........

Go alone :):):)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi there,

Ola

I'll be there the same time as you, but Im still deciding between Norte and CF once more. I'll echo whats been said, start your journey alone, you'll find like minded people who walk at your pace.

Last year, I saw two camino friends (ladies) split up in Burgos without a single goodbye; journey's like this, can either strengthen or magnify the cracks in any sort of relationship. HYOH

I went alone, and was happiest alone. There was a period of about two days when I had difficulty dislodging a very "clingy" person. I did not wish to seem rude, so I resolved my dilemma by barking at dogs (Yo hablo Perro), and mimicking the sounds of sheep, cows, and barnyard animals. At the moment when I was summarily judged to be crazy, this person left me as I was carrying on a highly intellectual conversation with a goat, and moved on. I felt smug in rediscovering my dormant "Dr. Doolittle" skills knowing with confidence I could put them to good use, again, if necessary. So, Ola, I recommend going alone. Should you periodically wish to have company, you will find plenty of it, but should you encounter someone who is barking, just continue on. Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Ola, I’m planning on starting from Irun late June. I’m walking alone. I am very much looking forward to setting my own timetable, walking, stopping, eating etc whenever it pleases me. I hope to see you out there somewhere & we may, or may not, walk together.

Hi Ola, I’m planning on starting from Irun late June. I’m walking alone. I am very much looking forward to setting my own timetable, walking, stopping, eating etc whenever it pleases me. I hope to see you out there somewhere & we may, or may not, walk together.

Nice sentiment, Walli, regarding Ola. Stock up on some Moreton Bay Bugs before you embark on your long journey to the Camino from Brisbane...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I can fully understand why some of the female pilgrims prefer to walk with a friend, usually (but not always) another female, and quite often, at least from my observations, they meet one to walk with, without having arranged it beforehand.
The one mindset I would advise against is feeling that one must find a Camino "family" to walk with. Walking with new friends is great, but I don't think one should lock themselves into that. Walking alone has its rewards, and what I found really nice was meeting different groups of pilgrims. All one has to do is do one rest day, or perhaps a couple of shorter distance days and suddenly there is whole new batch of pilgrims you never saw before. It is quite possible to arrive in Santiago and seeing all the groups there at the same time.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.