• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

hiking poles on Ryanair from dublin to biarritz

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was on Dublin Biarritz flight last Thursday and saw 2 people with poles strapped on to their cabin baggage.

I was surprised!

They still has the poles when they arrived in Biarritz, so cleared Dublin Airport security and the Ryanair Gate!!

Could be a once-off 🤷‍♀️

See this link - I checked a few months ago from DAA security website and they seem to be permitted (or at least nor on the banned list) through Dublin airport security. (Note the thread does end up more discussing the USA airport security TSA rather than Ireland rules and regulations but there are 2 great comments with links towards end of the thread) -

But like anything with Ryanair- collapsible poles are better hidden in your bag just in case they come up with some crazy reason to charge you more.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The basic fare on most RyanAir flights doesn't include space in the overhead bins - anything that you bring must fit under the seat in front of you, and most Camino sized backpacks are too large. It can be less expensive to add on a bag to put in the hold. This isn't the same as buying "Plus" ticket that includes hold luggage. After entering your information you have the option of adding a 10kg bag or a 20kg bag. If there are two of you, and your backpacks are light enough you may be able to fit two into a lightweight bag like the IKEA Frakta zipper bag.

Screenshot_20230904_102457_Firefox.jpg

Y

There has been past threads on this in last few weeks checkout.
Indeed, and if we are thinking of the same thread, it was remarkable for members sharing their experience of how they got poles on board from US airports and rarely touched upon the actual subject of the thread. I guess that is the way of forums. More, these off-topic contributions added nothing that isn't already covered by the @C clearly post I linked above.

It was only yesterday that @henrythedog predicted:
The only certainty is that there’ll be another similar thread within a month.
He was right about that. It took less than a day!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My bet is that somebody will soon write a post with the letters “TSA“ in it. :)
You win @Kathar1na. Went through TSA just a short while ago. We had a disassembled pole in cabin luggage. It looked like we would get to keep it as an assembled stick had just passed through the scanner in the line next to us. Ours though was taken from us as we didn't want to check it separately and waste time retrieving luggage and miss our connecting flight. Later saw a guy at the gates double poling it. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.