• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking Camino Portuguese in late August/Sept

braxity

Time of past OR future Camino
August - September
Hi all

I am newbie looking to walk the Camino Portuguese for the first time starting off on the 25th August and ending on the 7th September (roughly). I have read and seen many different views around packing lists and essentials for this trip, but have pretty much come down a specific list of items. But i do have some queries regarding some pressing alternatives;

Pants versus shorts? - i plan on bringing a basic pair of gym shorts, very light weight, breathable and quick drying. For my change, i am planning on bringing Kathmandu X series pants, which are super comfortable, and breathable, but i am unsure about whether they could be too hot? any thoughts on the matter?

Concerning shirts, i’m just planning on 2x quick drying gym tees, and a longer sleeve.

My other items include but are not limited to;
1. Osprey Manta 34L pack
2. Sea to summit silk sleeping bag liner
3. Darn tough socks x2
4. Columbia brim hat
5. Altra lone peak 7 shoes
6. Basic medical kit
7. Quick drying gym towel which is super small to pack

What other basics may I have missed/overlooked?

Any recommendations and commentary on my questions would be most appreciated

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Poncho, ear plugs, quick dry underwear, sun screen. I wear very light quick dry pants and long sleeve quick dry t shirts. With the exposure to the sun and the rise in melanomas I have switched to no more shorts or short sleeves. I walked the VDLP a few years back. It was still 90+F every day for the first 8 or 9 days and I started about October 17. I didn't feel hotter with the long sleeves. I don't know your hot or cold tolerance but you may want some light fleece. It may be foggy and/or chilly both early morning or in the evening.

I take one pair shorts and one pair zip pants so they can be shorts or longs.
Merino t-shirts of various grades work best for me and can be cool in the heat and warm when it cools down. Also don’t always need a daily wash.
Sun on the skin itself is not such a problem but getting sunburnt is dangerous. How much you cover up will depend on your skin and you normal daily sun exposure.
Looks like you are walking for two weeks. There are plenty of places along the way to buy things you may have forgotten.
Have a think about walking poles. I wouldn’t be without them. Used properly they help spread weight through to your arms and reduce wear and tear on knees and ankles.
Enjoy!
Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I started in Porto on 26 September 2019 and arrived in Santiago on 8 October. ( I deliberately took an extra day by shortening some stages to avoid spending 3 days in Santiago. So about a month later than your schedule. The lowest morning temperature was 9C and the hottest day was 25C. Most days were almost perfect walking weather. I did take long walking pants and never wore them. Here's what I would add to your list.
Rain jacket or poncho and water proof backpack cover. (It rained all of my last day into Santiago)
3 pairs of socks. Socks sometimes don't dry overnight, an extra pair doesn't take much space.
Safety pins and a few clothes pegs.
Note book and 2 pens (I chose not to use my phone to record my journey)
A face cloth which I pinned to the shoulder strap of my backpack so I could wipe my face when I got hot without stopping.
A small toilet roll, I discovered a toilet in one Albergue had no paper at the time I needed it.
As @Rita Flower has mentioned, walking poles. They are a great help on the cobblestone roads with narrow (or no) sidewalks in the first 2 days out of Porto and on a couple of the steeper climbs where the trail is rocky.
If it's any comfort to know, I was 69 at the time and had no problem with that schedule.
Buen Camino

Good advice above!
I walked mid September (17th) to October (13th) from Porto.
Weather was great average after a cool start was between 20 and 27C one rainy day! (27 C Santiago Oct 12th)
I wore non waterproof trail runners.
Took two pairs of Columbia zip off trousers (lots of pockets 7 with my sown in security pocket) one without the bottoms; this gave me two pairs shorts and two long pants!
I took two Columbia long sleeve sun shirts, but donated them as they were soaked in sweat after an hour;switched to two Decathlon lightweight t shirts which worked well!
But you have to have enough to keep you warm and dry as Peter says a light waterproof or poncho (i used a rain kilt 70 grms as well easy on and off) and a fleece.
I took 3 pairs socks and 3 boxers (gave up on them and went commando;less to wash)
Also took a hands free sun umbrella kept the heat off and the rain on the one day it was torrential
Everyone is different i love walking poles some don't; but for me without them i think my Camino would have ended saved my bacon a hundred times a day !
Keep your backpack weight as low as you can without being daft and leaving essentials out although you can buy what you want along the way.

If you can add a couple of days in Porto it's well worth it!!

No bets on this years weather
Buen Camino
Have a great walk
Woody

One last thing, a reflective shoulder harness or vest. Although I didn't plan to walk at night, the days are getting shorter in September so it was dark when I made an early start. Even with a yellow reflective vest, I had a near miss one night walking to a restaurant on a narrow road. Mine weighs nothing and it is an item that could be hard to find in unfamiliar places.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.