• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Complimentary Hiking Poles in Bilbao Airport ?

Antero

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Frances April-May from Pamplona
Hello fellow Pilgrims,

Planning my first Camino mid April 2024 from Pamplona and looking for tips.

I will be flying in Bilbao with only hand luggage (leaving my beloved hiking poles home).
On my arrival, I would need to find new Hiking Poles for the duration of my Camino.
On my departure, I am planning to give them away in Santiago de Compostela (airport or city center).

Any idea if Bilbao airport would have a service offering/selling the "left behind" hiking poles?
Circularity of these aluminum sticks would make sense IMHO.

Cheers,

Antero

Attachments

• 2024-03-06_20-41-39.jpg
    2024-03-06_20-41-39.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 5,973
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Good luck @Antero
I came from Oz without mine also. I had an expensive pair confiscated at Santiago airport a couple of years ago, (as I needed to fly with carryon to Ireland at the time.). I had a good idea it would happen / and they would have allowed me to ‘check them’ for free but my transit was too short for me to recover checked luggage and get to another airline in time . So I will buy a set from decathlon this time. Decathlon here in Madrid have a good selection of everything at great prices in comparison to Australia. Your idea is a good one, to throw out there though … you’ll never know unless you try.

Not sure of the legality of seized personal property being given away to others. It’s a fine idea, but would probably go over better if there was a donation box prior to being seized, but that itself raises problems of who maintains it, where it is located, etc. Far better if those leaving for the airport donate their poles at a pilgrim office or municipal albergue since 100% they won’t be allowed on board.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm starting from Pamplona as well and I'm going to buy a cheap pair of hiking poles in Decathlon in Pamplona.
Please check out the store called Caminoteca. The owners are really nice and they do everything they can to cater to pilgrims. It is about 100 meters from Albergue Jesus y Maria in old town. A wonderful municipal albergue for pilgrims to sleep. It is always great to support local businesses. Caminoteca can sure benefit from your business alot more than Decathlon! :)

I'm starting from Pamplona as well and I'm going to buy a cheap pair of hiking poles in Decathlon in Pamplona.
I agree with @IT56ny. Caminoteca is right in the main pilgrim area. We bought poles for my husband there and they had Altus ponchos in our sizes so we each bought one. We told the owner we were on our way to be hospitaleros on the Aragones and he gifted us a couple of name badge holders on Camino lanyards. Here is the address
C. Curia, 15, 31001 Pamplona, Navarra, Spain

There is a smaller Decathlon City in Pamplona near the bull ring. The larger one is out on the edge of town not close to the Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This May I will reach Santiago on the Primitivo, rest one day and then take a bus to Porto to meet my daughters (they will fly from Mexico) and start again with them, this time on the Portugese Central. I offered to get them poles; one option is to buy cheap ones at Decathlon in Porto. The other is to pick used ones in Santiago (donation). Has someone here an idea of where to maximize my chances of getting lucky?

You can try the Pilgrim’s House (different from the Pilgrims Office) or simply befriend some non-European pilgrim’s with carry-on size packs who plan to fly home from Santiago and won’t be taking their poles with them.

You can try the Pilgrim’s House (different from the Pilgrims Office)
I agree. Pilgrim House should have some poles that have been donated.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello fellow Pilgrims,

I will be flying in Bilbao with only hand luggage (leaving my beloved hiking poles home).
On my arrival, I would need to find new Hiking Poles for the duration of my Camino.
On my departure, I am planning to give them away in Santiago de Compostela (airport or city center).

Any idea if Bilbao airport would have a service offering/selling the "left behind" hiking poles?

Cheers,

Antero
Hi, Bilbao, like most Spanish regional airports is quite small, there is nothing there other than generic airport shops. There is a shop in the old town “Casco Histórico” that sells camino things. Books, shells souvenirs, if they have poles I imagine they will be the traditional wooden staff type.
Hello fellow Pilgrims,

Cheers,

Antero

Please check out the store called Caminoteca. The owners are really nice and they do everything they can to cater to pilgrims. It is about 100 meters from Albergue Jesus y Maria in old town. A wonderful municipal albergue for pilgrims to sleep. It is always great to support local businesses. Caminoteca can sure benefit from your business alot more than Decathlon! :)
Thanks for the tip! Of course ist’s better to support small local businesses. I’ll go there. 🙏🏼😊

I agree with @IT56ny. Caminoteca is right in the main pilgrim area. We bought poles for my husband there and they had Altus ponchos in our sizes so we each bought one. We told the owner we were on our way to be hospitaleros on the Aragones and he gifted us a couple of name badge holders on Camino lanyards. Here is the address
C. Curia, 15, 31001 Pamplona, Navarra, Spain

There is a smaller Decathlon City in Pamplona near the bull ring. The larger one is out on the edge of town not close to the Camino.
Thanks for the address! 🙏🏼

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.