• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking from LePuy in April. Advice needed!

maruska89

Mary C.
Time of past OR future Camino
Porto to SdC-Sept 2017
Camino Frances-Apr/May 2019
I'm planning on an early April Camino, 4 to 5 weeks. I was thinking of walking from Le Puy to SJPDP as I've done the Frances route in 2019.im nervous about weather in the Aubrac region. Have you walked that route? If not what was your favorite April Camino. I'll be going solo, am female, and don't want a totally solitary route, though these days its hard to predict numbers. I appreciate any info, opinions you have regarding this. Thanks!

[Post moved and reference to previous thread removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did it in June 2019, it was chilly a few mornings and I ran into a torrential hail storm one afternoon. I suspect in April you might see a little snow.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked the Le Puy route in April 2014 - starting on the 4th. I don’t recall many rainy days but there are likely to be a few. As you know the weather is unpredictable but I have found that April is usually a good time to walk. It’s a beautiful path. If you decide on that route, I recommend giving yourself at least a full day in Le Puy en Velay before you set off. A wonderful town.

Bon chemin

April 21, 2013 had snow in Le Sauvage. And plenty of rainy days until SJPdP on 28 May. It was a very wet year in europe so I continued along the Frances instead of the planned Norte--my favorite camino and length of 70 days is just right!. IMO April is a very good time to walk--ok weather, and crowds are lite except for the many French April Holidays that bring many out for long weekends.

I walked the Le Puy route in April 2014 - starting on the 4th. I don’t recall many rainy days but there are likely to be a few. As you know the weather is unpredictable but I have found that April is usually a good time to walk. It’s a beautiful path. If you decide on that route, I recommend giving yourself at least a full day in Le Puy en Velay before you set off. A wonderful town.

Bon chemin
Thanks so much for the info and encouragement. I'd love a day there to just settle in. Did you hike alone?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
April 21, 2013 had snow in Le Sauvage. And plenty of rainy days until SJPdP on 28 May. It was a very wet year in europe so I continued along the Frances instead of the planned Norte--my favorite camino and length of 70 days is just right!. IMO April is a very good time to walk--ok weather, and crowds are lite except for the many French April Holidays that bring many out for long weekends.
Thanks for your reply. Did you end up taking more clothing than you normally would?

Thanks so much for the info and encouragement. I'd love a day there to just settle in. Did you hike alone?
Yes and no ... I was a solo pilgrim but walked some stages with others. When I walked in 2014, I met mostly French, German, Swiss and Spanish pilgrims. But for all I know, there were native English speakers a day ahead and/ or a day behind. And perhaps the demographic of pilgrims has changed since then.

I had a smattering of leftover school French .. but it was enough. And, contrary to what you sometimes read about French people not speaking - or reluctant to speak - English (why should they - they are in France?) - I found that they appreciated my efforts. I think this is the same in most countries.

If you speak French reasonably well, of course this will not be an issue. And, in any case, you may well find plenty of native English speakers.

I'm planning on an early April Camino, 4 to 5 weeks. I was thinking of walking from Le Puy to SJPDP as I've done the Frances route in 2019.im nervous about weather in the Aubrac region. Have you walked that route? If not what was your favorite April Camino. I'll be going solo, am female, and don't want a totally solitary route, though these days its hard to predict numbers. I appreciate any info, opinions you have regarding this. Thanks!

I have not walked that route. Shefollowshells and others might have better information. Spring weather is very unpredictable. My favorite route is the Norte.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

That was fun to read your post as that is the exact path I am planning on Doing with my son and daughter. Not even sure where I heard about le puye at 1st but everything I've studied says it's a great path to take. It seems at that time westher will be wetter and cooler. Next year we might be surprised with more pilgrims than usual. Praying no more variant pop up. Buen camino and enjoy your semi solo camino.

That was fun to read your post as that is the exact path I am planning on Doing with my son and daughter. Not even sure where I heard about le puye at 1st but everything I've studied says it's a great path to take. It seems at that time westher will be wetter and cooler. Next year we might be surprised with more pilgrims than usual. Praying no more variant pop up. Buen camino and enjoy your semi solo camino.
Yes it is drawing me in. Good luck with your planning. When are you planning on going?

We went from 25 April-24May 2008. There was snow on 30 April between Aumont-Aubrac and Nasbinals, so we stopped 10 kilometers short. At that tine we learned that you should make reservations daily starting May 1 as hiking season really picks in France after that point. A few days of rain, but nothing bad as our main travel days were in May.

Buen Camino

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I walked that same route in April / May 2013. We had quite a lot of snow around the Aubrac region, in fact it started snowing lightly on our second day and continued for about a week. It was not unpleasant though as we had the right gear. The only time I got cold was walking into Nasbinals, when the snow turned to rain and there was a very cold wind. This was probably my favorite Camino, perhaps because it was my first, but I found the scenery, food and people to be fantastic. Enjoy your Camino.

I walked that same route in April / May 2013. We had quite a lot of snow around the Aubrac region, in fact it started snowing lightly on our second day and continued for about a week. It was not unpleasant though as we had the right gear. The only time I got cold was walking into Nasbinals, when the snow turned to rain and there was a very cold wind. This was probably my favorite Camino, perhaps because it was my first, but I found the scenery, food and people to be fantastic. Enjoy your Camino.
Thank you for replying..I heard 2013 was a cold wet year. Encouraging that you didn't feel too cold. How many outer layers did you bring? Fleece, vest, jacket etc...

Are you saying the Norte was your favorite camino? What made it so? And are you saying you took 70 days to walk the Norte?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks... haha.. when you said "variant" I thought you meant another camino variant and that you'd be hard pressed to choose which one!! Oh my.. these times! But yes, you too have a great Camino and might see you all on the trail somewhere.

I meant to mention in my previous post, the Easter holiday week is in the middle of April next year. The French rarely miss the opportunity to use their holiday time touring and hiking, so you might want to think about securing reservation for that week. BTW, the Cele Valley variant is marvelous.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I meant to mention in my previous post, the Easter holiday week is in the middle of April next year. The French rarely miss the opportunity to use their holiday time touring and hiking, so you might want to think about securing reservation for that week. BTW, the Cele Valley variant is marvelous.
Thank you. I received my ordered Miam Miam Dodo this week and am excitedly going over all the info. I think I will reserve right through that week, as I'll likely start just before Holy week. Some folks seem to walk quite far, 30km initially, but I think I'll take it slower to ensure I make it to my reserved spots. I don't usually book that far ahead but realize the need here so I don't want to plan unrealistic goals early on. I appreciate your advice!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Are you saying the Norte was your favorite camino? What made it so? And are you saying you took 70 days to walk the Norte?
I’m not the person who posted but my reading of that post is 70 days was right to walk Le Puy-Frances to SdC which was their favorite route, and which they took rather than walk the Norte (which should take way less than 70 days)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks, I managed to order the cele variant book when I ordered the section 1, but the section 2 was not available. Do you think I'd be able to buy that in Le Puy??
My guide book from 2018 included both sections, so I'm not sure. I do remember that the cathedral in Le Puy sold lots of books and items in their store. It is a very popular starting point, so I'm sure if not that specific guide, then other options would be availble.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My guide book from 2018 included both sections, so I'm not sure. I do remember that the cathedral in Le Puy sold lots of books and items in their store. It is a very popular starting point, so I'm sure if not that specific guide, then other options would be availble.
Tht's where I bought my Cele guidebook since there were none avialable on line, good chance Part Two will be in the bookstore at the Cathedral.

IMO the LePuy to Santiago is the ultimate camino. 35 days in France with the great scenery and food and french locals and small gites. Then 35 days on the Frances with its history, infrastructure, and fellow pilgrims and large albergues and changing camino families. Two different 'flavors' of pilgrimage.
LePuy is a"French locals experience" (plenty of english second language folks for conversation) Frances is a 'fellow pilgrim experience" especially for those of us who do not speak Spanish well. Both are great and nurturing to the body and soul. But both very different experiences. People who walk the Frances as a first experience and expect LePuy to be similar can be very disappointed.
And April can be very wet!! I think in 2013 we walked in raingear (Altus poncho covering all) for 13 days straight. Still my favorite camino though. Partly because with 70 days the experience changes with time.
Do it!
bon chemin and buen camino

Great, thanks. I was hoping to pick something up there. It was costly getting it shipped to me so I didn't want to have to order again.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
IMO the LePuy to Santiago is the ultimate camino. 35 days in France with the great scenery and food and french locals and small gites. Then 35 days on the Frances with its history, infrastructure, and fellow pilgrims and large albergues and changing camino families. Two different 'flavors' of pilgrimage.
LePuy is a"French locals experience" (plenty of english second language folks for conversation) Frances is a 'fellow pilgrim experience" especially for those of us who do not speak Spanish well. Both are great and nurturing to the body and soul. But both very different experiences. People who walk the Frances as a first experience and expect LePuy to be similar can be very disappointed.
And April can be very wet!! I think in 2013 we walked in raingear (Altus poncho covering all) for 13 days straight. Still my favorite camino though. Partly because with 70 days the experience changes with time.
Do it!
bon chemin and buen camino
Thanks so much. I have my trusty Altus so will seal the seams to prepare for the 🌧. I am very much looking forward to this Camino even knowing it's much different than the Frances or Portuguese. Just praying I won't be needing my Altus every day!

I have been wondering whether to post because I cannot really recommend an early April start from Le Puy...even though I love the Chemin du Puy.

I have twice traversed the Plateau d'Aubrac. Once in late April, once in the fall. One of these times I ran into very high winds, winds with gusts so fierce that I had to lean into the wind to keep my balance. No snow or rain, thank heavens.

It's a very high (1,000 m) and somewhat barren landscape. Some of the markings are rock cairns. Were one to run into snow, it might be almost possible, depending on the amount of snow falling and the amount of winds, to lose track of the trail. Absent these conditions, following tracks of other cheminants across the Plateau would be easy. So if my daughter posed your question, I would advise her to start later or wait until late-August or early September.

Here is a profile of the elevations along the entire route.

Bon chemin.

Last edited:
TMcA has an important point. Check the weather and have a plan B. Same cautions as crossing the Pyrenees at col de lepoender at 1400m. The reason I changed my 2013 plans from continuing on the Norte to continuing on the Frances was that about 10 Koreans had to be rescued that year--heavy snow and rain; also lots of flooding in europe. My plan B was bussing from SJPdP to Estella to avoid the elevation weather risks.
Watch the weather and do not walk alone in poor weather! Listen to the locals.

I have been wondering whether to post because I cannot really recommend an early April start from Le Puy...even though I love the Chemin du Puy.

I have twice traversed the Plateau d'Aubrac. Once in late April, once in the fall. One of these times I ran into very high winds, winds with gusts so fierce that I had to lean into the wind to keep my balance. No snow or rain, thank heavens.

It's a very high (3,000 m) and somewhat barren landscape. Some of the markings are rock cairns. Were one to run into snow, it might be almost possible, depending on the amount of snow falling and the amount of winds, to lose track of the trail. Absent these conditions, following tracks of other cheminants across the Plateau would be easy. So if my daughter posed your question, I would advise her to start later or wait until late-August or early September.

Here is a profile of the elevations along the entire route.

Bon chemin.
Thank you for posting your thoughts on hiking this route in April. I'm torn... one day deciding yes I'll do it, but the next feeling that it could be iffy or dangerous to go out alone at that time of year. I appreciate the point of view that if it was your daughter what you would tell her. I think I am starting to steer away from this route now, as I'm committed to my dates. Or I will have it as a plan B and then if next spring looks like it'll be warm (unlikely up high) I may have a go at it. Appreciate your reply!!

TMcA has an important point. Check the weather and have a plan B. Same cautions as crossing the Pyrenees at col de lepoender at 1400m. The reason I changed my 2013 plans from continuing on the Norte to continuing on the Frances was that about 10 Koreans had to be rescued that year--heavy snow and rain; also lots of flooding in europe. My plan B was bussing from SJPdP to Estella to avoid the elevation weather risks.
Watch the weather and do not walk alone in poor weather! Listen to the locals.
Thanks for posting. I am definitely rethinking this plan now. Do you feel the Norte or Primitivo is better suited for this time of year?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I am going in April next year for the first time. I am going from Leon to SdC then going on to Porto as I am then meeting my sister in Lisbon to do the four day Fisherman's Trail. I was originally going to start at SJPP but the albergues were not open that early.

I am going in April next year for the first time. I am going from Leon to SdC then going on to Porto as I am then meeting my sister in Lisbon to do the four day Fisherman's Trail. I was originally going to start at SJPP but the albergues were not open that early.
I walked from SJPdP in 2019 starting april 11th and albergues were open and actually being holy week there was problem getting accommodation in Zubiri. But cool and some rainy days those first weeks. You'll love the Frances from Leon for your first Camino. Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@maruska89 in early May 2011 we had snow/sleet/driving rain and cold wind. It got so bad that we had to stop and find a place for me to buy a better goretex jacket and ski gloves. It was in the days before I discovered the Altus but I have no regrets about the purchase; the jacket is very stylish and I still have it and still love it! And, of course, after that the weather was fine. It is a very beautiful route, but do take good rain gear.

@maruska89 in early May 2011 we had snow/sleet/driving rain and cold wind. It got so bad that we had to stop and find a place for me to buy a better goretex jacket and ski gloves. It was in the days before I discovered the Altus but I have no regrets about the purchase; the jacket is very stylish and I still have it and still love it! And, of course, after that the weather was fine. It is a very beautiful route, but do take good rain gear.
What’s that quote from Paddy Pallin. ‘There’s no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong gear.’ 😎

@maruska89 Just my two cents worth - You seemed excited about the Le Puy route (rightly so, it’s beautiful). Typically April is a great walking month in France and Spain. I’d be reluctant to drop the idea on the basis of what the weather might be. Sure you might have some rain but that can happen on any route..

One year we had snow in Viana on the Frances on 6 April and were in shorts and t shirts the next day. When I walked the Le Puy in April I saw some last remnants of snow on the Aubrac and had a few days rain. I don’t recall ever feeling cold. And I’m from sunny Australia 🇦🇺

Anyway … best wishes for whatever you decide.

Yes, I agree, don't miss this route because of the possibility of a few days of bad weather - every green route will have the same issue, and it is absolutely stunningly beautiful. I've walked it twice and much of the time the weather was lovely. I also had days of heavy rain on the Norte (and days of sunshine) , and I think my scariest moment was on the Primitivo ... or maybe in a thunderstorm with lightening on the meseta on the Camino Francés....

I anticipate that anywhere I am walking for four or five weeks, it is likely there will be a few days of rain.

What’s that quote from Paddy Pallin. ‘There’s no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong gear.’ 😎

@maruska89 Just my two cents worth - You seemed excited about the Le Puy route (rightly so, it’s beautiful). Typically April is a great walking month in France and Spain. I’d be reluctant to drop the idea on the basis of what the weather might be. Sure you might have some rain but that can happen on any route..

One year we had snow in Viana on the Frances on 6 April and were in shorts and t shirts the next day. When I walked the Le Puy in April I saw some last remnants of snow on the Aubrac and had a few days rain. I don’t recall ever feeling cold. And I’m from sunny Australia 🇦🇺

Anyway … best wishes for whatever you decide.
Thank you Jenny! Yes I was, and am, excited about the Le Puy. It's not so much the rainy weather that started to worry me, it was the possibility of snow that might obscure the path in the Aubrac. I suppose I could tag along with some others so I wouldn't be alone if inclement weather happened in the higher region. I just don't want to feel that I was reckless, as I am quite adventurous and determined. Soooo, back to Le Puy, I think. I will just have to have a plan B. My other thought is I could do the 2nd part or say from Cahors to SJPdP and then go back to start in Le Puy with hopefully a bit better weather to wherever I started from. What do you think of this plan? But that would make it hard to reserve my first week of accommodation. Oh the trials of the Camino.:)

Yes, I agree, don't miss this route because of the possibility of a few days of bad weather - every green route will have the same issue, and it is absolutely stunningly beautiful. I've walked it twice and much of the time the weather was lovely. I also had days of heavy rain on the Norte (and days of sunshine) , and I think my scariest moment was on the Primitivo ... or maybe in a thunderstorm with lightening on the meseta on the Camino Francés....

I anticipate that anywhere I am walking for four or five weeks, it is likely there will be a few days of rain.
Thanks Kanga! I really do hate to give up on this route. See my response to Jenny about my other thoughts/options. The more input the better.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@maruska89 I’d say start at the beginning, Le Puy en Velay (lovely town) and IF you run into snow trouble then skip a little ahead to avoid that. Local gite owners will know what lies ahead.

If that happens and you end up with a couple of days up your sleeve when you arrive in SJPP, then you can always have a few days on the Frances or the Norte.

Bon chemin, pèlerine!

@maruska89 I’d say start at the beginning, Le Puy en Velay (lovely town) and IF you run into snow trouble then skip a little ahead to avoid that. Local gite owners will know what lies ahead.

If that happens and you end up with a couple of days up your sleeve when you arrive in SJPP, then you can always have a few days on the Frances or the Norte.

Bon chemin, pèlerine!
Ok that's what I was hoping to hear... I will definitely be listening to the locals opinions once I get there. I so appreciate you and others piping in on my concerns. One last question...in trying to reserve ahead at least for the first week, I was thinking of walking shorter stages, say 15km, but see many doing long stages early on. How far do you think is reasonable seeing as weather might be an issue? I know I've probably answered my own question;)

@maruska89 if you feel shorter stages might be the way to go, the first week or so is a good section to test this out. Terrain wise - well, lots of climbing. Don’t be too concerned about what others are doing. That said, if you find yourself with a companion or two who is walking further you might decide to do the same.

Regarding booking ahead (even if just a day or two) - irrespective of numbers, that’s quite common on the French Caminos - i think for a number of reasons. Thé gites and chambre d’hôtes often offer demi-Pensione or at least petit déjeuner, so the owners need to know how many they are catering for. And the gites are often smaller than you find on, for example, the Frances.

If you book ahead and change your plans, just be sure to let the owners know in advance so they can offer the place to someone else and to manage their catering. If you need help with this, thé gite owner where you are staying will usually be happy to call for you - whether for reserving or cancelling.

All of this said from my experience on Le Puy in 2014 - so not the most recent but I don’t imagine too much has changed other than increase in popularity for non French walkers.

PS. Yes definitely tag along with others any time you feel the need … C’est le Chemin!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@maruska89 if you feel shorter stages might be the way to go, the first week or so is a good section to test this out. Terrain wise - well, lots of climbing. Don’t be too concerned about what others are doing. That said, if you find yourself with a companion or two who is walking further you might decide to do the same.

Regarding booking ahead (even if just a day or two) - irrespective of numbers, that’s quite common on the French Caminos - i think for a number of reasons. Thé gites and chambre d’hôtes often offer demi-Pensione or at least petit déjeuner, so the owners need to know how many they are catering for. And the gites are often smaller than you find on, for example, the Frances.

If you book ahead and change your plans, just be sure to let the owners know in advance so they can offer the place to someone else and to manage their catering. If you need help with this, thé gite owner where you are staying will usually be happy to call for you - whether for reserving or cancelling.

All of this said from my experience on Le Puy in 2014 - so not the most recent but I don’t imagine too much has changed other than increase in popularity for non French walkers.

PS. Yes definitely tag along with others any time you feel the need … C’est le Chemin!
Thanks once again Jenny! Yes I think I will vary the first week with some shorter, say 15km stretches among some longer ones. I was worried that if I booked a gite, that I'd be committed to that one, but if I gave enough notice it's ok to cancel? Not that I would be doing that routinely, but it's hard knowing how far one will walk if weather is poor.

Thanks once again Jenny! Yes I think I will vary the first week with some shorter, say 15km stretches among some longer ones. I was worried that if I booked a gite, that I'd be committed to that one, but if I gave enough notice it's ok to cancel? Not that I would be doing that routinely, but it's hard knowing how far one will walk if weather is poor.
If you book a gite even with no money paid, in my view you have made a ‘commitment’ in that you intend to be there to take that bed / room unless something unexpected happens. From time to time pilgrims’ plans change along The Way and gite owners are aware of this. If you need to cancel, it’s important to be mindful of giving the owner as much notice as you can as a matter of courtesy and fairness. If any money has changed hands in advance, the situation will depend on what was agreed.

When I walked the Le Puy you could call a day or two before, or on the morning, to book a bed / room with no deposit required. I don’t know if that has changed, due to times changing and/ or Covid. Others who have walked the path recently will have more up to date information.

I’m sure you will work it out. You can’t plan for every contingency, that’s part of the adventure!

Yes it is drawing me in. Good luck with your planning. When are you planning on going?
Well I have not bought tickets yet.im trying to coordinate the schedual of some of my kids who want to join me. But the biggest hurdle is this darn covid😡. In 2021 I had purchased tickets 2 times and each time had to change them I ended up just getting a refund.
So I will probably be firming up plans in the next 3 weeks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's a very high (3,000 m) and somewhat barren landscape.

I think you may have accidentally mis-typed...
I believe that the Aubrac is about 1,350m, not 3,000.
(Don’t want people to be scared off with concerns about altitude sickness...)

you’re right on that 1300+ metres is the highest point on the entire path close to Aubrac village ...

I started that route in August 2018 and due to injuries or other complications I finished in Santiago in September 2021. Here’s my input short and sweet.
I walked with a French speaking friend.
Knowing some French is a real plus.
I anticipated extra costs for lodging.
I would not recommend walking any earlier than June. The weather is simply too unpredictable.
Carrying extra gear for inclement weather would be too much for me. For the first two weeks out of Le Puy you are either going up or down hills.
Having a phone to make reservations is almost a must. Not because it’s crowded, but because of the limited facilities for some towns. And, oh yes, when the French have a holiday, families go for a walk.
It’s worth it all! It’s a beautiful hike.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was taken back by the 3000m post also.
My home is at 3448 feet which is 1051 metres.
The mountain behind me is about 9200 feet or about 2904 metres

3000m would be a load to climb.

Hello, I walked this route in April /May 2013 , as a solo woman . Agreeing with what many have already posted here. There was plenty of company, mostly French pilgrims so speaking a bit of French helps. The weather was very wet, it was my muddiest camino by far , but the countryside is really beautiful and the weather did not spoil my pilgrimage. I would rather walk in the rain than under a scorching sun later in the year. I used the cicerone guide Le Puy to the pyrenees by Alison Raju and i also used miam miam dodo.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello, I walked this route in April /May 2013 , as a solo woman . Agreeing with what many have already posted here. There was plenty of company, mostly French pilgrims so speaking a bit of French helps. The weather was very wet, it was my muddiest camino by far , but the countryside is really beautiful and the weather did not spoil my pilgrimage. I would rather walk in the rain than under a scorching sun later in the year. I used the cicerone guide Le Puy to the pyrenees by Alison Raju and i also used miam miam dodo.
Thank you for your reply. Did you bring gaiters then? I know I'll need more clothing than normal for this time of year but don't want to bring unnecessary items.

If you have a map and trail tracks loaded on your smart phone, it may assist in making sure you don’t get really lost. There a few places on the Aubrac where you are walking through cow fields, among the big-eyed cows; so if there is snow covering the arrows on the ground rocks, you may still make your way if the weather isn’t dangerous.

I see from your profile that you live in BC, Canada. Even if you're right on the US border you'll be used to worse weather than you are likely to encounter on the Massif Central in April! An absolute worse-case scenario would only involve transport from Aumont-Aubrac (3000') to St Chely d'Aubrac (1800') or St Come d'Olt, (1200') both much lower down.

Thank you for your reply. Did you bring gaiters then? I know I'll need more clothing than normal for this time of year but don't want to bring unnecessary items.
I didn't use gaiters, my shoes and socks got wet and muddy! I have a poncho over everything else.

If you have a map and trail tracks loaded on your smart phone, it may assist in making sure you don’t get really lost. There a few places on the Aubrac where you are walking through cow fields, among the big-eyed cows; so if there is snow covering the arrows on the ground rocks, you may still make your way if the weather isn’t dangerous.
Thanks for replying. I am so happy to be getting all these responses. I was thinking of tagging along with some others on that part if the weather is inclement. I gathered from others posts that most people start walking around the same time, after breakfast, as opposed to the Frances where people scramble at all different hours in starting walking. So I'm hoping I'll find some kind souls to join on the aubrac area.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I see from your profile that you live in BC, Canada. Even if you're right on the US border you'll be used to worse weather than you are likely to encounter on the Massif Central in April! An absolute worse-case scenario would only involve transport from Aumont-Aubrac (3000') to St Chely d'Aubrac (1800') or St Come d'Olt, (1200') both much lower down.
Yes, I live now in the interior of BC where it's dry, but grew up in Vancouver so was used to lots of rain. I don't love it, but can handle it:) I think having the possibility of transport if things get bad eases my mind. Thanks for replying!

Actually…you should only experience rain..not extreme cold. Whatever rain gear you would use of the CF should be right.
Thanks, I'll be bringing along my Altus that I used on the Frances, though I'll have to fix some of the seam reinforcements. I did experience a couple cold days not the Frances mid april, with likely similar potential of the aubrac, though not as high. There were only rock piles to duck under/around with blustery wind, hail, and lightening, but we got through.

I didn't use gaiters, my shoes and socks got wet and muddy! I have a poncho over everything else.
Yes I was used to getting wet trail shoes and socks on the Frances, and just dried them as best as I could for the next day. I brought several socks to change into.Thanks:)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for replying:) I think I"m resigned to getting wet and am used to the mud from the early part of the Frances in April. I'll be trying hard to improve my French to prepare! I already have the Miam Miam Dodo .. do you think I need another guide?

Thanks for replying:) I think I"m resigned to getting wet and am used to the mud from the early part of the Frances in April. I'll be trying hard to improve my French to prepare! I already have the Miam Miam Dodo .. do you think I need another guide?
I used the miam miam dodo more in the planning stage and just took the Alison Raju one. I think one guide book is enough to carry especially if you have the trace of the trail on your phone, take whatever you think will suit your needs. I didn't have a smart phone then so I wanted a book that told me a little bit about the places I was visiting.

the MMD [Miam Miam Dodo] guidebook is all you need ... but if you’re walking beyond Cahors you’ll need Vol. 2 ... the new edition will be available early Dec ... and I posted a .pdf of the recently updated guide to the Célé variante, the GR651 ...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used the miam miam dodo more in the planning stage and just took the Alison Raju one. I think one guide book is enough to carry especially if you have the trace of the trail on your phone, take whatever you think will suit your needs. I didn't have a smart phone then so I wanted a book that told me a little bit about the places I was visiting.
the Alison Raju guide has just been rewritten and the new edition will be available by early April I believe

I used Alison Raju's book, but had Mimam Dodo on my phone as back up. I still love carrying a physical guide, circling and underlining things, and writing notes in the margins.
The Cele variant (which I loved) was included in my guidebook.

the MMD [Miam Miam Dodo] guidebook is all you need ... but if you’re walking beyond Cahors you’ll need Vol. 2 ... the new edition will be available early Dec ... and I posted a .pdf of the recently updated guide to the Célé variante, the GR651 ...
Yes I only have Vol 1 and the cele route, so am hoping to pick up volume to in Le Puy or later along the way. Thanks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I used Alison Raju's book, but had Mimam Dodo on my phone as back up. I still love carrying a physical guide, circling and underlining things, and writing notes in the margins.
The Cele variant (which I loved) was included in my guidebook.
I'm the same re: having a physical copy with me. I will download a different online guide/book later on, once I get everything not needed off my phone;)

The hardcopy version I have of Alison’s book is heavier than I’d like to carry. I did carry it and the Miam Miam Dodo on my walk in 2012, but the MMD would have been enough. I didn’t carry a phone on that walk, so now that I have one, I’d only take MMD. But my preferences may not be yours.

The hardcopy version I have of Alison’s book is heavier than I’d like to carry. I did carry it and the Miam Miam Dodo on my walk in 2012, but the MMD would have been enough. I didn’t carry a phone on that walk, so now that I have one, I’d only take MMD. But my preferences may not be yours.
I walked as far as Auvillar, so I separated my guidebook by cutting off the balance of it and saved it for the future should I be interested in walking the final stretch to SJPdP. My MMD on my phone was sufficient for the few times I took a look.

Thank you for posting your thoughts on hiking this route in April. I'm torn... one day deciding yes I'll do it, but the next feeling that it could be iffy or dangerous to go out alone at that time of year. I appreciate the point of view that if it was your daughter what you would tell her. I think I am starting to steer away from this route now, as I'm committed to my dates. Or I will have it as a plan B and then if next spring looks like it'll be warm (unlikely up high) I may have a go at it. Appreciate your reply!!
My wife and i did the via Podiensis a few years back after doing Francais a few years before that. We didn't start in le puy because i thought it looked pretty tough and so we started on Conques. We had a great time . Fellow pilgrims who started in Le Puy said we had missed some beautiful scenery and some snow

thank you... I think I will just stay with my MMD and maybe an online guide for interest.

My wife and i did the via Podiensis a few years back after doing Francais a few years before that. We didn't start in le puy because i thought it looked pretty tough and so we started on Conques. We had a great time . Fellow pilgrims who started in Le Puy said we had missed some beautiful scenery and some snow
Thanks for replying John. Yes I very much read that the first part shouldn't be missed. I will decide closer to my start date whether to push through or transport for some of the Aubrac depending on the weather forecast.

I also walked in 2013, starting on April 2nd. Definitely encountered snow for two or three days but that was less of a problem than the water and mud. Ub spite of wearing "waterproof" boots, my feet were wet for the first three weeks. Walking through streams was inevitable that year ago early in April. It wasn't overly cold in the snow, but was for a couple of days in the rain. All that uphill walking kept me pretty warm. I understand that a couple of weeks later it wasn't nearly as bad underfoot. A wonderful walk that I'd love to walk again - starting a couple of weeks later. (I was 70 at that time) and walked with a friend - also 70.

I also walked in 2013, starting on April 2nd. Definitely encountered snow for two or three days but that was less of a problem than the water and mud. Ub spite of wearing "waterproof" boots, my feet were wet for the first three weeks. Walking through streams was inevitable that year ago early in April. It wasn't overly cold in the snow, but was for a couple of days in the rain. All that uphill walking kept me pretty warm. I understand that a couple of weeks later it wasn't nearly as bad underfoot. A wonderful walk that I'd love to walk again - starting a couple of weeks later. (I was 70 at that time) and walked with a friend - also 70.
Thanks for replying Cecelia! I am totally expecting it all, snow, rain and mud, but hopefully some sunny skies as well. I hope you do get a chance to walk it again.

Hi, Best of luck. I hope to do this in 2023. So i am interested to hear how it goes for you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, Best of luck. I hope to do this in 2023. So i am interested to hear how it goes for you.
Thank you. I will be posting on here about my trip for sure. I better take notes this time as it's crazy how soon you forget where certain things were, etc. I see you've hiked from Toledo... how was that Camino? I was also toying around with walking from Madrid or Toledo as Plan B in case the weather next year is horrid.

Thank you. I will be posting on here about my trip for sure. I better take notes this time as it's crazy how soon you forget where certain things were, etc. I see you've hiked from Toledo... how was that Camino? I was also toying around with walking from Madrid or Toledo as Plan B in case the weather next year is horrid.
Hi, I did not hike from Toledo. I am going to check my posting. I did the French and the del Norte. I had just visited Toledo and then drove to Lourdes, France. Then drove back to San Sebastian and started my hike on the del norte from there.

Hi, I did not hike from Toledo. I am going to check my posting. I did the French and the del Norte. I had just visited Toledo and then drove to Lourdes, France. Then drove back to San Sebastian and started my hike on the del norte from there.
Ah okay, no worries. Happy planning for your next one.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Again I want to thank everyone for their help and input into my decision making last month. I feel that I need to update folks on my plans now. After much internal debate, frustration, as well as excitement, I have decided to go with plan B, which after much consideration will be the VDLP starting in Seville.

For several reasons, and mainly dealing with walking solo. 1)The potential for inclement weather in the high regions and walking solo. 2) Having limiting French and being alone I felt that the evening meals would be easier if I had a friend/ sister along with me (as I have a sister who is interested to walk in France but not next year), 3) I had picked this time frame in order to be in Europe over Easter as I did on the Frances in 2019 and loved the processions and festivities. I feel that France doesn't celebrate Easter to the extent they do in Spain and I didn't really realize that before planning the Le Puy. And lastly I had read that this time frame can often be quite rainy, despite not being able to predict weather anywhere, but I really do hate rain:(

So, I will definitely be back to walk from Le Puy, who knows maybe even from Geneva. I have the MMD guide. But I will be picking a different time/season for it. Maybe in the fall?? Again, much thanks for everyone's input! Buen Caminos everyone!

All the best. Assuming all goes according to plan we will be a week ahead of you, if you are starting in Seville. 😎

All the best. Assuming all goes according to plan we will be a week ahead of you, if you are starting in Seville. 😎
Hello again. I did see that you were walking this route as well... Buen Camino !!
PS. maybe if I walk really fast I'll even catch up with you... haha

Hi Maruska,
I'm also from BC. When I go on early caminos like this one, I bring an old fleecy that I won't mind leaving behind when the weather gets hot. In this 2013 camino I made a vest out of some fleecy I had around. It was long and I sewed in some pockets (there are never enough pockets!! :) ) I also wear silk long johns and long sleeved silk undershirt (bought from MEC). They're very light and all I've ever needed.

In 2013 being too cold was not the issue. Having wet feet was! So in spite of so-called waterproof boots I'd recommend a couple more pairs of wool socks than you would take on a later camino. I didn't take gaitors because I had rain pants which are helpful when it's cold and windy. Your body heats up fast with all of that upping and downing - so much of the time being too warm is more of a thing than being too cold. But when it's wet, cold and windy, it's easy to get too cold, too fast. The Aumont-Aubrac plateau in the snow is stark and amazingly beautiful! I'd love to see it all green and flowery.

Buen camino! (I'm also considering Le Puy to Santiago this coming spring so may see you there. I'd love to walk the Vezelay route but I'm 78 and not sure being alone on such a solitary route is a wise decision. Spring will tell the tale. Many of my decisions are not particularly wise!!😅🤣😅 )

Hi Maruska,
I'm also from BC. When I go on early caminos like this one, I bring an old fleecy that I won't mind leaving behind when the weather gets hot. In this 2013 camino I made a vest out of some fleecy I had around. It was long and I sewed in some pockets (there are never enough pockets!! :) ) I also wear silk long johns and long sleeved silk undershirt (bought from MEC). They're very light and all I've ever needed.

In 2013 being too cold was not the issue. Having wet feet was! So in spite of so-called waterproof boots I'd recommend a couple more pairs of wool socks than you would take on a later camino. I didn't take gaitors because I had rain pants which are helpful when it's cold and windy. Your body heats up fast with all of that upping and downing - so much of the time being too warm is more of a thing than being too cold. But when it's wet, cold and windy, it's easy to get too cold, too fast. The Aumont-Aubrac plateau in the snow is stark and amazingly beautiful! I'd love to see it all green and flowery.

Buen camino! (I'm also considering Le Puy to Santiago this coming spring so may see you there. I'd love to walk the Vezelay route but I'm 78 and not sure being alone on such a solitary route is a wise decision. Spring will tell the tale. Many of my decisions are not particularly wise!!😅🤣😅 )
Hi fellow BC'er! Thanks for the recommendations!! I've been looking for fleece at thrift stores that can be left behind once not needed. Thats a great idea about making a light fleece vest. I sew so that might work.

Yes, wet feet are not good, though of course it happens often, and since I'm prone to heel blisters I do bring several different socks. I'm debating whether to bring rain pants as I have a long poncho (Altus) that I used on the Frances in 2019 and it did the trick most of the time without rain pants.

But I've now changed my plans form the Le Puy to VDLP. Mostly because I just felt that it was a bit risky going solo and so early in april with the weather in the higher Aubrac regions. But also I wanted to spend the holy week and Easter in Spain I realized. I definitely will walk Le Puy but it will be my next trip and maybe in the fall time. Or maybe I'll join you on the Vezelay in the near future?? Also I hadn't realized that I do want to end up in Santiago, with it still considered a Holy Year next year, and I won't have time to walk the whole way from Le Puy to Santiago, so I'll plan that another time when I can walk the whole route, as I would like to walk the Frances again.

So good luck with planning your future camino!

kind regards, Mary (Kamloops)

... I'm debating whether to bring rain pants as I have a long poncho (Altus) that I used on the Frances in 2019 and it did the trick most of the time without rain pants.
Hi again Mary from Kamloops!
You wouldn't be solo on the Le Puy route in April but for sure there are fewer people and the ability to speak a bit of French is almost essential.
The Via de la Plata sounds like a great plan considering all of the things you're looking for! And do keep in touch about Vezelay.
I've also had a couple of Altus ponchos but neither of mine were waterproof so I've given up on them. But another reason why I've gone back to a long jacket is that when it's chilly (and it always is at some points walking in the spring - think snow in May on the Frances!!) a poncho is cumbersome to wear around town as an "aprés-walk" source of warmth. That one snowy May on. the Frances I was very glad to have waterproof pants because of the cold wind that brought the snow!
Have a great camino!
Cecelia
(currently living in Powell River incidentally)

Hi again Mary from Kamloops!
You wouldn't be solo on the Le Puy route in April but for sure there are fewer people and the ability to speak a bit of French is almost essential.
The Via de la Plata sounds like a great plan considering all of the things you're looking for! And do keep in touch about Vezelay.
I've also had a couple of Altus ponchos but neither of mine were waterproof so I've given up on them. But another reason why I've gone back to a long jacket is that when it's chilly (and it always is at some points walking in the spring - think snow in May on the Frances!!) a poncho is cumbersome to wear around town as an "aprés-walk" source of warmth. That one snowy May on. the Frances I was very glad to have waterproof pants because of the cold wind that brought the snow!
Have a great camino!
Cecelia
(currently living in Powell River incidentally)
Hello Cecelia,
Thanks for the update and advice! Yes I'm content with my change of plans but didn't realize I would be needing to book accomodation as much as I am. I knew over Easter I would definitely need to reserve but I'm finding that well past Easter places are filling up fast! Especially since I'm going solo I don't want to be stuck with not having a bed and having to walk much further than I'd like to.
I think I will keep my Altus again, even though it gets condensation on the inside so not truly "waterproof" but not sure of a better alternative. I might take my puffy coat to stay warmer on those chilly days.
That's exciting that you're in Powell River! I hiked the Sunshine Coast Trail this summer and loved it! Have you had a chance to walk any of it yet?
I will keep you in mind for when I walk the Vezelay for sure, but just keeping it to one hiking plan at a time:)
Regards,
Mary (still in Kamloops)!

Hi Mary,
Oh good for you. Did you walk the whole trail? I have walked on parts of it but nowhere near enough.

Wow - I'm surprised that you have to book so far ahead for the VDLP. That doesn't sound like fun at all. I think that it's the two weeks after Easter that are the busiest. Then it should drop off a bit.
Buen camino

Hi Mary,
Oh good for you. Did you walk the whole trail? I have walked on parts of it but nowhere near enough.

Wow - I'm surprised that you have to book so far ahead for the VDLP. That doesn't sound like fun at all. I think that it's the two weeks after Easter that are the busiest. Then it should drop off a bit.
Buen camino
Yes we walked the whole way, but in order to meet up with others, we first walked from Saltery Bay to Mt. Troubridge, and then drove to Powell River and Lund and took the boat to start at Sarah's Point. It was a beautiful hike, though tough in some areas!
So I've got several bookings over my first two weeks, and hopefully will find beds in the others. We'll see what happens but as it stands I'm hoping to walk this over 40 days.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi fellow pilgrims. We will be walking the Via Podiensis from Le Puy-en-Velay in Sep/Oct this year and are in the process of planning our route and stages. We see there are three route variants...
Hi all, I just bought my ticket for my next Camino this summer (yay!). I wanted to walk in France—I loved the Norte and primitivo last year, and I thought it would be cool to explore another...
Hello pilgrims, Where can we stay in Lagos or Les Faux? Tia Best, Ingelin

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back