• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hoka One One - Podiatrist raved!

A

Anemone del Camino

I have done my last Caminos in Salomon Ultra 2 GTX with great success. But... I am always looking for the next best Camino thing and came across the Hoka shoes. They are as ugly as can be, not that the Salomons are much more attractive, but oh so very light and cushionny! They are also just as expensive as the Salomons. But one day I went into MEC and they had a lair of Bondi 3 in my Camino size for ... Drumroll... 39.99 $! At that price, even if I only wore them weeding the front hard it would be fine.

Today I had my appointment to have new orthotics made for my flat feet, who have also developped plantear fasciitis on the Camino 2 years ago. Brought the Bondis in to see what the Dr. would say. She sent me packing! Not charging me a penny for the consult and telling me these are the BEST shoe I could have chosen!

She has clients who do ultra marathons in these with great success apparently. So I have to wear these ugly bright plum things for a month and call her back. If needed sje will make me a pair of orthotics in a rush.

Got to love someone with ner reputation who doesn't sell ypu what yoi don't need.since I've gone to see her I have paid for 1 consult in 4 visits and have paid 60$ in orthotics she recommended but told me to order myself.

FYI, most Hoka One Ones are quote narrow in the front, my Bondis are nice and wide.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wore Hoka One One's when I did the VDLP from Sevilla. I Did Love them , but the one thing that got me was the treads were really quite worn towards the end. I would get them agian, but in the trail version. I found them super comfortable especially when going down hills.

I wore Hoka One One's when I did the VDLP from Sevilla. I Did Love them , but the one thing that got me was the treads were really quite worn towards the end. I would get them agian, but in the trail version. I found them super comfortable especially when going down hills.
I have been looking for the Vibram ones but no luck. At 40$, if they last for one 350km Camino I will be a happy camper!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have been looking for the Vibram ones but no luck. At 40$, if they last for one 350km Camino I will be a happy camper!
yeah, at that price i would have totally bought them! it was just the last few days where i felt it was a bit slick, so they will probably work great for you.

yeah, at that price i would have totally bought them! it was just the last few days where i felt it was a bit slick, so they will probably work great for you.
When you try on the Vibram pleae post and let us know what they are like.

When you try on the Vibram pleae post and let us know what they are like.
Hi Anemone
I'm just back from a week of wearing HokaOne boots with Vibram soles. This was on salt lake and hard gibber rock surfaces so think concrete with little to no give.

They were absolutely fabulous. I spent all day ie 6am till 10pm in them. As you know I am recovering from a navicular fracture in my foot so am on strict rehab routine. The cushioning in the boots is not as much as in the HokaOne Stinson runners but surprisingly cushioned all the same.

Overall I did about 100km walking/running/scrambling in my boots and am very pleased with their support as well. Really held my foot and ankle well.

I have custom orthotics and used these as well as my Sole ev signature inserts.

It was about 40°C most days and the eVent lining breathed exceptionally well. Absolutely NO moisture in the boot at the end of the day. I wore compression socks underneath Marino trekking socks. The Vibram soles showed little to no wear at all.

All I need now is some rain to try out their waterproof claims.
image.jpeg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi my girlfriend and I looked into Hoka's because they are so comfortable. I found out that vibram makes a few different soles, the ones found on trail shoes mostly, are of a different compound so they wear better than a running shoe, but far less than an old style vibram sole. I like the technology in newer trail and running shoes. We ruled the Hoka's out because I didn't feel they would last 500mi. Comfort wise, weight, good on long (10miles or more) walks, and feel as good a month after I bought them as the day I bought them.
The shoes are so light you could take 2 pair?

Hi my girlfriend and I looked into Hoka's because they are so comfortable. I found out that vibram makes a few different soles, the ones found on trail shoes mostly, are of a different compound so they wear better than a running shoe, but far less than an old style vibram sole. I like the technology in newer trail and running shoes. We ruled the Hoka's out because I didn't feel they would last 500mi. Comfort wise, weight, good on long (10miles or more) walks, and feel as good a month after I bought them as the day I bought them.
I'm only walking 350km so I can just bin them at the end. If I was doing the whole CF or Norte then I would stick to my Salomons, unless I was able to fond the Hokas with Vibram.

I have done my last Caminos in Salomon Ultra 2 GTX with great success. But... I am always looking for the next best Camino thing and came across the Hoka shoes. They are as ugly as can be, not that the Salomons are much more attractive, but oh so very light and cushionny! They are also just as expensive as the Salomons. But one day I went into MEC and they had a lair of Bondi 3 in my Camino size for ... Drumroll... 39.99 $! At that price, even if I only wore them weeding the front hard it would be fine.

Today I had my appointment to have new orthotics made for my flat feet, who have also developped plantear fasciitis on the Camino 2 years ago. Brought the Bondis in to see what the Dr. would say. She sent me packing! Not charging me a penny for the consult and telling me these are the BEST shoe I could have chosen!

She has clients who do ultra marathons in these with great success apparently. So I have to wear these ugly bright plum things for a month and call her back. If needed sje will make me a pair of orthotics in a rush.

Got to love someone with ner reputation who doesn't sell ypu what yoi don't need.since I've gone to see her I have paid for 1 consult in 4 visits and have paid 60$ in orthotics she recommended but told me to order myself.

FYI, most Hoka One Ones are quote narrow in the front, my Bondis are nice and wide.

Can you post a photo of those?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am not Annie Santiago :D but ...
In the space where you type your answer, at the bottom, there is 'upload a file'. Press it, then press 'choose file' then 'press photo library'. It should access your pictures, select one ... et voilà.

I think it worked, thank you @domigee . Here are the very light, very cushiony Hoka One One Bondi 3 for ladies, in case the colour didn't cue anyone about this last bit. Today being worn with light Injinjis.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 157
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I bet they're comfortable! Never seen this make around here though...(I don't think)

Sorry Anemone, I'm a bit confused; are the Hoka One Ones and the Bondis two different brands? Which was your final choice?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
After reading this thread a few days ago I emailed Hoka and asked about width... I'm always looking for THE best shoe... but sadly they'd be too narrow for my pasty feet :(

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
After reading this thread a few days ago I emailed Hoka and asked about width... I'm always looking for THE best shoe... but sadly they'd be too narrow for my pasty feet :(
The Bondi 3 is wide enough for me but some of the others are super narrow. Width had never been a consideration until I tried other HOO models.

I think it worked, thank you @domigee . Here are the very light, very cushiony Hoka One One Bondi 3 for ladies, in case the colour didn't cue anyone about this last bit. Today being worn with light Injinjis.
Katrina and the Waves approve:

I'm walking on sunshine (Wow!)
And don't it feel good

Hey, alright now
And don't it feel good, hey

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I have been wearing various Hokas for over a year now. Love them, purchased a pair of Stinson 3 ATR yesterday. My friend who is walking with me is wearing Hoka Tor Summit that have a vibram sole & are waterproof. They are a hiking shoe rather than a running shoe. This model also seems to be wider than most of the running models, have not heard anything bad about them yet.

They have a hiking shoe that is wider than the running shoes, its called Tor Summit, they also have a vibram sole & are waterproof.

They have a hiking shoe that is wider than the running shoes, its called Tor Summit, they also have a vibram sole & are waterproof.

Just looked them up, they seem fab! Fortunately, I am safe, doesn't look like any shop stocks them round here.
Phew :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Hi and many thanks for the information.. Sadly my foot is a 3E or 4E and I really need a measured wide fit... Hoka say they use a Standard width last. The only shoes I've found this wide so far are New Balance and Keen but rather annoyingly these are only on their USA sites... At least I'm loving my new Teva sandals :D

I wore Hokas on the Portuguese and English Caminos I had a little trouble with sand collecting between the layers of fabric . The Hokas felt great especially on hard surfaces . My wife recently got a pair of Altras they have a very wide toe-box and like the Hokas they have a lot of padding for softness , Pounding on the roads..... Ultreya... Willy/Utah/USA

I am always on the lookout for the Perfect Shoe for me and my PF and also settled on Salomon X Ultras, non goretex. However the promise of an extra cushioned sole for my poor feet has had me following the Hoka threads on the forum ... and then today I crumbled and started looking at models and prices online. I found one pair of half price Speedgoats, with Vibram soles, in my size in a particularly nauseating mix of coral pink and screaming yellow. I am very excited about getting them delivered and will let you know first impressions as soon as they arrive!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oooooooh! Those look REALLY comfortable.
Where do you buy them?
I'll have to look around.
I lucked out. I happened to walk into MEC (Mountain Equipment Coop) here in Canada and they had this pair at a 75% discount. Just know that many of their models are quite narrow in the toe box, the Bondi is wider and fits me well. I also wear Salomons Ultra 2s as a point of reference for width.

Hi all I was seduced by the advertising and reviews for Hokas. Unfortunately having punched a pair of hoka one one tor summit mid boots I am definitely disappointed. The toe box is too small.they are not as waterproof as other types .I am going to stay with my mammuts that are more comfortable very waterproof and also £40 cheaper. All in all I am very disappointed with the Hokas all advertising and no substance in my opinion

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all I was seduced by the advertising and reviews for Hokas. Unfortunately having punched a pair of hoka one one tor summit mid boots I am definitely disappointed. The toe box is too small.they are not as waterproof as other types .I am going to stay with my mammuts that are more comfortable very waterproof and also £40 cheaper. All in all I am very disappointed with the Hokas all advertising and no substance in my opinion
Thank you for this review. I have been hoping to find a lair of Tors to try one but cannot find them. Now that I time they are also narrow I am not as disappointed. Now, I don't think you should ditch the whole brand based on a fit that ks not adequate for your feet. The cushioning and shape are exceptional in my opinion. Now, will my Bondis last for 800km or so like my Salomon... I doubt it, after all they weigh almost half of what the Salomons weigh.

I am always on the lookout for the Perfect Shoe for me and my PF and also settled on Salomon X Ultras, non goretex. However the promise of an extra cushioned sole for my poor feet has had me following the Hoka threads on the forum ... and then today I crumbled and started looking at models and prices online. I found one pair of half price Speedgoats, with Vibram soles, in my size in a particularly nauseating mix of coral pink and screaming yellow. I am very excited about getting them delivered and will let you know first impressions as soon as they arrive!
I really like the sound of the Speedgoats but my store would have had to order them in & when I told them I wanted them for the Camino they didn't recommend them for that distance. I'd love to hear how you find them.

@May2016 - I just received my Speedgoats and unfortunately they are a little bit too small for me. The largest size they had available was 6.5 but it seems I will need bigger size than that in Hokas. Apart from the very bright colours, they look very good, and the Vibram sole stuck like suction cups to the tiled floor! Vibram should make them last the distance, not sure if the uppers would though, they seemed a lot less sturdy than my Salomons, but of course that is just my initial reaction - they might wear deceptively well for all I know. Seems I will be walking in Salomons in April too.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I forgot to mention that my wife wears men's Hokas that have I wider toe box. They will last the training and Camino distance. Do all you can for your feet.Dont take two pair, don't take anything extra you feet will thank you... Ultreya... Willy/Utah/USA

It was about 40°C most days and the eVent lining breathed exceptionally well. Absolutely NO moisture in the boot at the end of the day. I wore compression socks underneath Marino trekking socks. The Vibram soles showed little to no wear at all.

All I need now is some rain to try out their waterproof claims.
View attachment 24462
I am always hesitant when a breathable membrane is in a boot. I had to abandon my vdlp last year, also at 40c, my goretex shoes was heating up like crazy. I am glad to hear that eVent breathes better. I am definitely going to try the Summit.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We ruled the Hoka's out because I didn't feel they would last 500mi.
Several people reported in this forum having walked the entire Camino on standard Hoka running shoes. If anything, I think, the new Hoka hiker (with vibram megagrip) should offer even better grip on wet/dry terrain and extend its durability. My concern would be weather it would be too warm for the summer with the eVent layer.

Hi and many thanks for the information.. Sadly my foot is a 3E or 4E and I really need a measured wide fit... Hoka say they use a Standard width last. The only shoes I've found this wide so far are New Balance and Keen but rather annoyingly these are only on their USA sites... At least I'm loving my new Teva sandals :D
I face the same issue. Other than New balance, i find Merrell wide shows also fit my wide foot. Have you tried their Moab ventilators....with or without goretex...they are very popular among Camino and through hikers in the us....

Thanks for the post. I just bought my 2nd pair of Hoka, Clifton 2 running shoe for the trip. Now concerned about long term wear since my first pair wore out so quickly. The Clifton 2 has a wider toe box than Clifton 1. Now excited to check out other HOKA models as mentioned in other posts

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have been watching the Hoka due to their maximum cushioning
the Bondi 4 comes in a specific wide width FOR MEN ONLY- the sizes available run too large for me to use a man's
Rumor has it that they will be releasing a Bondi 4 Women's wide but this is from stores that carry Hoka and they have had their delivery date pushed back repeated.
Contacted directly the company merely says new shoes are coming out this summer but won't say which ones
here's hoping
Nanc

I have been watching the Hoka due to their maximum cushioning
the Bondi 4 comes in a specific wide width FOR MEN ONLY- the sizes available run too large for me to use a man's
Rumor has it that they will be releasing a Bondi 4 Women's wide but this is from stores that carry Hoka and they have had their delivery date pushed back repeated.
Contacted directly the company merely says new shoes are coming out this summer but won't say which ones
here's hoping
Nanc
I also need wider shoes (2E/3E). Hoka reps told me that their Summit line has a wider toe box than regular running shoes as it is designed for hiking. I sized up and should receive the shoes next week and will provide feedback. The only other Hoka shoe that is trail ready would be the Mafate, apparently has the widest toe box, highest cushioning with an outsole for trails. Have you tried the Mofate4?

Last edited:
G
I also need wider shoes (2E/3E). Hoka reps told me that their Summit line has a wider toe box than regular running shoes as it is designed for hiking. I sized up and should receive the shoes next week and will provide feedback. The only other Hoka shoe that is trail ready would be the Mafate, apparently has the widest toe box, highest cushioning with an outsole for trails. Have you tried the Mofate4?
Going to a running trail shoe place today to compare mafate and altra olympus. If nothing is perfect will wait to see if W bondi 4 wide comes out

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Finally received the Hoka Summit yesterday. Fit-wise, the toe box is wider. It has more volume in the forefoot than other Hoka shoes. Light, not really a mid cut, just high enough to go over the ankle. But, the upper is very flimsy, and the Vibram outsole is not of uniform quality. They use a very soft rubber in the midsection. I was able to easily flex it with my fingers. For the Camino trail this might be good enough. I don't think the outsole will last very long on a technical rocky mountain trails.
We ruled the Hoka's out because I didn't feel they would last 500mi.
So I am afraid Angel-hart is right. This shoe is going back. I will wait for its next iteration.

Finally received the Hoka Summit yesterday. Fit-wise, the toe box is wider. It has more volume in the forefoot than other Hoka shoes. Light, not really a mid cut, just high enough to go over the ankle. But, the upper is very flimsy, and the Vibram outsole is not of uniform quality. They use a very soft rubber in the midsection. I was able to easily flex it with my fingers. For the Camino trail this might be good enough. I don't think the outsole will last very long on a technical rocky mountain trails.

So I am afraid Angel-hart is right. This shoe is going back. I will wait for its next iteration.
So disapointed by your review. I don't understand Why they would use Vibram but à lesser quality version of it. I like the flimsy top material though, as that is how they cut on weight, no? This will be the First Time I walk without Gortex, might as well test this mesh on my Bondi 3 pair. Thank you for the review. Please make sure you give the company feed back so them don't think we are not In The market for a cushionny light trekking shoe with great outsole.

So disapointed by your review. I don't understand Why they would use Vibram but à lesser quality version of it. I like the flimsy top material though, as that is how they cut on weight, no? This will be the First Time I walk without Gortex, might as well test this mesh on my Bondi 3 pair. Thank you for the review. Please make sure you give the company feed back so them don't think we are not In The market for a cushionny light trekking shoe with great outsole.
Yes specially at their price point of $180+. There are so many other higher quality options. Hoka have only wrapped the high wearing areas with Vibram. They tend to do this in most of their shoes.
As i said, if you are going to use it on Camino-like trails (paved roads, softer country and some rugged conditions) the shoes should provide ample support. Besides, these shoes are NOT designed to provide the same level of comfort for more than few hundred miles.

I am on the heavy side and don't like the wobbly feeling with flimsy upper. I like my feet firmly in place. I started vdlp last year with the Nike country walker (goretex) and lasted only a week. Some people were wearing those Merrell moabs with mesh upper (non goretex) and thought it was better suited for dry conditions. Have you explored waterproof socks for those rainy days...

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have been informed by a runner's shop that the women's Bondi 4 wide should be available in May
FYI
Nanc

Update: I came across a pair of very pleasantly priced new Hoka Challenger ATR 2 in a larger size that should fit me, and took the plunge again! They arrived today and my first impression was that though they feel very nice and soft, the 'landscape' inside didn't fit my foot - not enough arch support. BUT then I dug out my green Superfeet, which have never fit properly in any shoe and seem to curve in slightly the wrong places, and slotted them in. The hard Superfeet sole is offset by the soft sole of the Hokas and they fit p.e.r.f.e.c.t.l.y! Finally found my combo! Unless they prove less perfect over long walks (Wednesday will show) I am taking these on the Camino later this month. My feet are so happy!

My Bondi 3 are The First and only lair of walking shoes I have had to break in: The part that touches the Achilese heel was very stiff but very comfy now.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just got back from MEC with another pair of Hoka One Ones for 49$! This time I think they're the Mafate Speed model.

At that price, I don't care if they only last for a shortish Camino.

Just got back from MEC with another pair of Hoka One Ones for 49$! This time I think they're the Mafate Speed model.

At that price, I don't care if they only last for a shortish Camino.
Wow you are an expert in finding bargains... How is the tow box, is it wider?

Wow you are an expert in finding bargains... How is the tow box, is it wider?
It fits me well, Just like The Bondi 3, and wider than other of their models I have tired. After getting The first lair on sale I have kept popping In to see if they have them In sale. Today I was lucky!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Update #2: After training in the Hokas it turns out the Superfeet are too hard inside anyway, but the insoles from the Hokas were flimsy and useless, so I needed something to give me more arch support. Luckily I have a pair of Ortholites from the inside of a long lost pair of Merrells and they fit just as perfectly as the Superfeet without being hard on the feet. I decided to take them for my one week walk from Sarria and I could not be happier. In fact my PF didn't flare up until I was at the airport one week later! If anyone knows where I can buy the Merrell sold-with-shoes insoles I would buy them a bottle of Albarinho ...

FYI. I have been wearing the Hoka Bondi 4 wide for the last week. Local stores aren't carrying them yet but the US web site had them. Since I am just re-entering hiking after 5 weeks in a boot, my mileage isn't high yet.

But my impressions? The padding is not quite as thick as the Tor Summit. But still comfortable. The toe box is amazingly wide and it takes my orthotics insole without distorting the material like it did in the Altra. In fact I have ordered another 1/2 size down as I think the one size up I got may have too much room, glad for 30 day trial !

I am trialling Hoka One One Tor Summit shoes here in desert SW (all rocks) in 100 degree heat. I was worried about getting these, as anything Goretex is HOT here & I always opt for non-waterproof shoes. But the Hoka Event lining is not hot, I was pleasantly surprised. I think the vibram wears well, & the rest of the sole is a "sticky" rubber to help grip (& it does).

These shoes are a godsend for people with knee & hip arthritis & overweight issues (I am 100 pounds over weight).

I ordered a 1/2 size bigger than my normal shoe however (USA sizes). The Tor Summit runs normal width (most Hoka shoes are narrow in the toebox).

NOTE: I originally had the Hoka Stinson ATR Running Sneaker Shoe, but found the Stinson sole was too tall & unstable. In addition, as I go down some steep hills (without a trail), I found the Stinson sole did not "dig" into the earth when walking downhill sideways for grip. The Stinson heel's sole was too narrow & did not "flare" out for stability (unlike the Summit Tor or the Salomon XA Pro 3D which do "flare" at the heel sole part). Just a FYI.

HTH

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for your update on the Hoka One Tor Summit. I've about 700kms on mine now and they continue to wear surprisingly well on the rough bush tracks. Like you, I was very pleasantly surprised at how well they breathe in hot conditions.

Also have a pair of the Stinson ATR but use this only on the bitumen and urban tracks as I also found that they are not a trekking shoe but do make a great cushioning sneaker.

I'm out in our local park tomorrow trying out the waterproofing capabilities as that's the only aspect which I haven't been able to test yet but the rains have finally come, the tracks are muddy and the river is running.

I wore Hokas on the Portuguese and English Caminos I had a little trouble with sand collecting between the layers of fabric . The Hokas felt great especially on hard surfaces . My wife recently got a pair of Altras they have a very wide toe-box and like the Hokas they have a lot of padding for softness , Pounding on the roads..... Ultreya... Willy/Utah/USA
Has your wife had a chance to wear the Altra shoes much? I have purchased both the Hoka Bandi and the Altra Neoshell. While the Altra seems more cushiony, I'm afraid it's almost too much cushion and not enough support. I love the wide toe box, though, and they seem to have better traction than the Hoka. Both are comfortable on my feet, just can't decide which pair would be best on the road. Also, the HOO Bandi is not waterproof. Not sure how important that is. Decisions, Decisions.

I know there are plenty of stores along the Camino Frances, but are there any sporting goods stores, to purchase new shoes, if the ones I'm wearing are just not working for me?

€83,-
I know there are plenty of stores along the Camino Frances, but are there any sporting goods stores, to purchase new shoes, if the ones I'm wearing are just not working for me?

Yes there are sporting goods stores. However these are usually located in the major towns/cities. Nor do all shops carry all brands.

This earlier Forum thread discusses some but not all possibilities for sporting goods shops.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sporting-goods-stores.38997/

Last edited:
Has your wife had a chance to wear the Altra shoes much? I have purchased both the Hoka Bandi and the Altra Neoshell. While the Altra seems more cushiony, I'm afraid it's almost too much cushion and not enough support. I love the wide toe box, though, and they seem to have better traction than the Hoka. Both are comfortable on my feet, just can't decide which pair would be best on the road. Also, the HOO Bandi is not waterproof. Not sure how important that is. Decisions, Decisions.
It took some of us years to find the right footware. It all depends on what attribute is more important than the other. If you are walking in dry climate then waterproofing is not important. If it is important, either leather or gtx/eVent lined shoes.

I have tried the Hoka summit, Mafate 4 and Altra Olympus 2.0. The Mafate was the most comfortable fit. Altra had vibram soles, thus provide more durable traction. Didn't like the Altra's strange shape. Whichever you choose, I would replace the insole with something like superfeet. I would not worry about them being too cushiony, although one has to learn and adapt to walking with high shoes. Don't expect any ankle support as they are designed primarily for running.

It took some of us years to find the right footware. It all depends on what attribute is more important than the other. If you are walking in dry climate then waterproofing is not important. If it is important, either leather or gtx/eVent lined shoes.

I have tried the Hoka summit, Mafate 4 and Altra Olympus 2.0. The Mafate was the most comfortable fit. Altra had vibram soles, thus provide more durable traction. Didn't like the Altra's strange shape. Whichever you choose, I would replace the insole with something like superfeet. I would not worry about them being too cushiony, although one has to learn and adapt to walking with high shoes. Don't expect any ankle support as they are designed primarily for running.
Thank you, so much!

€149,-
I walked some 300km last month on the Portuguese, mostly road, with my Bondi Hoos. They do not have Vibram soles. I had also broken them in at home before that over a couple of months, wearing them on weekends, running errands, etc.

The thread did vanish on the ball of the foot anf heel, but despite that traction was never an issue, even on wet roads. By vanish I do not mean a hole but the texture was leveled. Would they still be good for 800km? Maybe not would be my guess, but for shorter Caminos they did the job, as long as I avoided wet grass.

So happy to hear you love your Hoka's! I am walking my first Camino (CF) in Sept/Oct this year and also love my Hoka One One trail shoe. I wear my usual jogging shoe size (which is already 1/2 to a full size bigger than my day/work shoes). My current Hoka's will be worn out before September so I am buying another pair. My big question is about whether I need to buy a 1/2 size bigger for the Camino. I actually tried on a 1/2 size bigger but they slip quite badly (wearing injinji toe socks and thick merino hiking socks). They are an expensive investment, so I'd like to get the size right. I have walked up to 20km - some very hilly, some flat - and my "usual" size Hoka's have been good. ANY help about this bigger shoe size when walking these long distances day after day is much appreciated.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@MargLav . I wear the same size on the Camino as I do for casual walking around home. They are already a generous fit but not so much that there is problem slippage. Many people recommend going "larger" but they have no idea how roomy your regular fit is! There IS such a thing as too-big shoes, so you should not arbitrarily go larger.

I find these shoes are more accurate to their European sizing:
------ Mens
Lowa 10.5 44
Hoka 10.5 44 2/3
Hoka 10 44
I had to size down with Hoka to fit my eu44 foot. When i try my regular US size 10.5, Hoka is almost 1 eu size larger. Thats is why it feels generous.

I think it is better to get a matching EU size shoes for your feet, especially if they are made on European lasts.

@MargLav . I wear the same size on the Camino as I do for casual walking around home. They are already a generous fit but not so much that there is problem slippage. Many people recommend going "larger" but they have no idea how roomy your regular fit is! There IS such a thing as too-big shoes, so you should not arbitrarily go larger.
That's so good to know - thanks!! Per @Rajy62's comments, I realised my HOKA's are Euro 42 whereas my Asic running shoes are Euro 41.5 (despite both being US 9.5). That helps explains why they feel good. I'll make the final decision a bit closer after I add more and more kilometres to my walks but at this stage I'm happy not to buy a bigger size. Much appreciated!

I find these shoes are more accurate to their European sizing:
------ Mens
Lowa 10.5 44
Hoka 10.5 44 2/3
Hoka 10 44
I had to size down with Hoka to fit my eu44 foot. When i try my regular US size 10.5, Hoka is almost 1 eu size larger. Thats is why it feels generous.

I think it is better to get a matching EU size shoes for your feet, especially if they are made on European lasts.
Great advice! You are right - my HOKA's are EURO42 whereas my Asics are EURO 41.5. Thanks!

My dear wife wears sandals all summer and although she loves her Hokas and Altras she gets blisters from the change to shoes and will be wearing he Chacos this fall on the Camino Sanabre. I have always been conscious of the fact that "It rains in Spain" and I personally don't have any advice other than trying to find a shoe that can dry...... Ultreya......Willy/Utah/USA

Update # ... 3, is it? I have now been wearing my Hoka Challengers for walks in Spain and in the Lake district and the poor things are starting to show a lot of wear on the sole. Nothing to worry about for walking around on tarmac etc but for serious walks I have invested in not one, but two more pairs, both with partial Vibram sole ...

First of all I found a cheap pair of Speedgoats again, but this time in a less nauseating purple and also a whole size bigger at 7.5, which both fits better length and width wise and also supports my arch just right. They make a suctiony sound when I walk around on the tiles inside the house so I suspect the grip will be pretty good on trail and wet rocks. Very light and comfortable, I am planning on taking them (or a new pair) on my future 5-6 week St Olav's Way walk.

I have also found a pair of men's size 7 Tor Speed WP waterproof mids in the sale! The men's 7 seems to be pretty much identical to the women's 7/7.5 and also fits my foot and sole. However the tongue is cut and folded in such a way that I was worried about it chafing or grating on the side of my feet, but so far it isn't noticable with a half decent sock in it. If the sock was too thin I'm not sure - I suppose you have to try it. The Tors also seem slightly less stable to me compared to the Challengers, which has a very wide sole and maybe I am just used to that? The higher boot gives the little bit of extra support too which helps with the (perceived) instability, and I haven't turned my ankle yet. The sole is lovely and soft and though I don't really believe in waterproof shoes I will keep them and use them in the autumn and winter. They are a pretty muted black and grey so will be great for normal use even if they turn out to be too hot or not waterproof enough for long walks.

So far I have only spent approximately the full price of one pair on my three, and I am now planning on selling my unused replacement pink Salomon X Ultras ... I have a lot less problems with PF flare-ups now and I am so glad I found these!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Looks like Hoka launched the 2nd generation Tor hiking shoes; the Tor adventure and Tor ultra. The upper seems to have been completely redesigned.
Still no wide widths though...looks promising

Attachments

• hokaadv.jpg
    hokaadv.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 10
  • hokaultra.jpg
    hokaultra.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 9
I note Sierra Trading Post have Women's Hoka One One Tor Summit Mid Hiking Boots on special at US$99.95, altho I wouldn't know whether that is a good price.
These have vibram soles.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/hoka-one-one-tor-summit-mid-hiking-boots-waterproof-for-women~p~127xp/?filterString=s~hoka-vibrams/
Regards
Gerard
That is almost half the MSRP. I suspect the price could come down even further. When products reache STP, you know its going to be a discontinued soon, if not already. Campsaver and Backcountry also have them for sale at $108 with free shipping.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Looks like Hoka launched the 2nd generation Tor hiking shoes; the Tor adventure and Tor ultra. The upper seems to have been completely redesigned.
Still no wide widths though...looks promising
Hmmm... interesting new design with ankle wraparound.. and I'm so happy with the Tor Summits. Time to get some discontinued stock.

...and then there's the women's range of the updated hiking boots - certainly colourful!

tor_ultra_01.jpg tor_ultra_02.jpg tor_ultra_03.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.