• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing - edition one

SarahTheKiwi

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning 2024 Camino Frances
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking clothes, food, water or poles).

First picture - pouch.
-Wallet
-Passport
-Credential
-Pen & notebook
-Towelling/pee pad
-Chapstick
-Sample size sunscreen
-Ear buds and charging unit (undecided)
-Cellphone

Second picture - my main pack - I've found a way to put my sleeping bag on the outside - very pleased if it actually works.
-Sandals and orthotic soles in gauze bag.
-Kiwi mascot (very light) - needs a name.
-Polyprop singlet.
-Light long sleeved fleece.
-Long sleeved merino.
-Selfie stick (undecided, but will ditch if not worth it).
-2 x merino socks, 2 x undies (could prob ditch a pair of each as this doesn't include my walking set)
-Travel towel
-3 small stones
-Emergency poncho
-Hand heat pads (emergency use - will buy more clothing if need be).
-Buff
-Seam-sealed rain parka.
-4 x USB port + USB-C cable and Garmin cable.
-Speed sleeves - extremely light.
-Bucket hat.
-Pack rain cover.
-Gloves.
-Foot care kit (will get scissors in France)
-"Toilet bag" with S-hook. Shampoo bar will wash clothing. Everything sample sized and only what I need.
-5 small clothes pegs and short length of string.
-Spork.
-NZ badge.
-Nylon gear bag (42g- for shopping or walking around town)
-Polyprop black tights.
-Gato staying at his casa.

Third photo - my walking set -
-Merino short sleeve
-2nd singlet
-3rd pair of undies
-Convertible hiking pants
-3rd pair of socks (Icebreaker merino)
-Asics shoes

Fourth photo - my undecided pile
-A small plastic container for food maybe?
-USB-C cable, but longer
-Hand sanitiser
-Long sleeve peasant blouse (very light).
-Battery pack
-Light waterproof trousers.

I welcome any constructive feedback. There's a few luxuries but I'm trying to be practical too.

Attachments

• 20240415_205637.jpg
    20240415_205637.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 228
  • 20240415_205317.jpg
    20240415_205317.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 118
  • 20240415_205233.jpg
    20240415_205233.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 116
  • 20240415_205302.jpg
    20240415_205302.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 95
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What time of year are you walking Sarah?

Trivial suggestions:

I doubt the hand warmers are worthwhile pretty much anytime. In extremis you’ve enough clothes to layer-up.

I’d take a battery pack - but a smaller one than pictured - with its own short charging cable, to allow remote charging whilst unattended rather than topping up your ‘phone.

Three small stones?

Sarah,
5.9 kgs sounds good to me. Simple advice, try to take only what you need; something to change into, something to keep you warm, your first aid kit, your wash bag, poles, whatever electronics you really need. Anything you really need that you leave behind, you can buy in Spain. Less is really more.
Good luck with the journey and for sure you will get things slightly wrong and do things slightly differently the next time round, but learning is part of the journey. Enjoy and buen Camino.
Aidan

I like having a long charging cable so I can have the phone in my sleeping bag (in albergues) or on my bedside table (in hotels).

I also carry more food and adjacent things than you are planning to do, since I'm generally walking remote caminos where there may not be bars or other places to eat every day. For Camino Francés, you probably have enough. Perhaps a couple of empty plastic bags so you can wrap food to take with you?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Trivial suggestions:

I doubt the hand warmers are worthwhile pretty much anytime. In extremis you’ve enough clothes to layer-up.

I’d take a battery pack - but a smaller one than pictured - with its own short charging cable, to allow remote charging whilst unattended rather than topping up your ‘phone.

Three small stones?
Thanks for your feedback. I'm so into the planning now that I can't see the forest for the trees! I'm still worried about staying warm at night. The sleeping bag is 630 gram down. I'm starting at SJPDP 25 April.

I've looked at smaller battery packs but will look again. Mine's a 10,000 and I know there are 5,000s available. I like the idea of not having to babysit my charging phone.

One stone for me, one each for my children. We had a pretty rough year last year, and I want to include them.

I like having a long charging cable so I can have the phone in my sleeping bag (in albergues) or on my bedside table (in hotels).

I also carry more food and adjacent things than you are planning to do, since I'm generally walking remote caminos where there may not be bars or other places to eat every day. For Camino Francés, you probably have enough. Perhaps a couple of empty plastic bags so you can wrap food to take with you?
Good idea about plastic bags and helpful to know a longer cable might be more practical. I have thought of bringing some snacky food from home. Looked at the menu on the plane and glad I'm forewarned!

@SarahTheKiwi ,

It is a well traveled route. When you get there and start walking, you can usually buy something if you need it or get rid of things you don't. Do you have a euro adapter for your electronics? Didn't see that.

Hey Sarah!

I’d bring both the 3rd pair of undies (that you are undecided about) and a plastic container. The undies probably only weigh a minuscule amount anyway and having a “spare” pair will be more comfortable. If your walking pair doesn’t dry completely overnight you’ll be hiking in moist underwear which might cause chaffing or UTIs.

As for the plastic container - I always bring a couple of them to store snack foods (olives, nuts, trail mix etc) or things I want to avoid being squashed while walking (fruit, cheese, chorizo).

Rather than stressing about an extra 500g of weight I’d suggest walking with a heavy pack whenever you can before flying out. You’ll get used to it fast.

Buon Camino!

I wouldn't take the emergency poncho, or hand warmers. I would take the rain pants. I would add an umbrella.

A good list, and we're all different. These are things I've taken in the past, but not now:
Spork
smartish blouse for evening - perhaps equivalent to your peasant blouse
String
torch
hand sanitizer (there's sanitiser out in many albergues and other places)
I've never taken pegs, battery unit, stones, buff, selfie stick hand warmers.gloves or plastic box. But do take an e reader which rarely needs changing, so don't need a battery pack
Do you need 2 warm long sleeved garments, and an emergency poncho as well as the rain jacket?
Could you take simple wired earphones, or a small Spanish charger instead of your own charger + adapter?
I've learnt from this forum that the lightest way to carry water is in the small plastic bottles you buy it in. (and reuse)
If you're really serious about cutting weight weigh each item - stuff like pouches and wallets can add up.
Enjoy your Camino!

Sarah I'm one who has for nearly 40 years always had a spare (third) pair of socks and underwear. Yes it's a little bit of a luxury but I seriously dislike putting on damp or even just half dry underpants. A 3rd pair of socks acts not only for their intended purpose but also as emergency gloves. And bed socks if needs be - adds significant warmth. On the off chance you get two cold rainy days in a row you will bless that third pair of dry socks !

I wouldn't get too hung up on a couple of hundred grams at this stage. You have done very well to get your weight down to where it is, I personally feel rather than spend money on another power bank, go with what you already have. The longer USB cable is a good idea, personally I actually also have a very short one. It's only what, 7g?

I would only carry one long sleeve top ( so not the extra blouse).
I understand the value of the plastic container but personally just used an additional zip lock bag. Individual choice.

String and pegs. I always used to carry pegs, no longer. I now carry 10 safety pins which weigh less and have far more worth. Double pin drying items to the outside of my pack. (Pegs can work loose, items drop off!) Linked correctly items will not slide down the line. (You can ask always create a removable loop for the first Connection). Less likely for other individuals to 'borrow' them. And my super strong very thin nylon string is six meters long. There have been many occasions where I have used this on camino to create my own washing line when others were full. Or in a hotel room! It's emergency laces, emergency belt, I can make a screen on my bed if I wish and so forth. But not much good if it's too short! I must weigh it, but perhaps 35/40g ?

Ditch the emergency poncho, personally I wouldn't bother with the heat pads , but respect why you wish to carry them. But in the end both the poncho and the pads are light enough that it's not really an issue.

Hand sanitizer - I personally carry one, about 1/3 full for the rare emergency occasions. It's been used on every Camino. (As often in a cafe with no soap as in the wild). You can often top it up with a couple of quick squirts at an Albergue, from somebody that's carrying theirs but not using it, or by buying a new one & donating the rest. Ideal if you need to thread a blister - but stings like hell! (Better than an infection).

I personally always carry enough toilet paper for two uses. I cannot count the number of times I've gone into a cafe and they haven't had any. I don't like the little packets of tissues - it's more plastic waste, and please, please don't use wet wipes no matter what.

But these are all such minor things - you've done extremely well, you could literally shove everything into your pack and leave tomorrow.

Although personally I'd take the cat (gorgeous ) and leave the sleeping bag!

I've looked at smaller battery packs but will look again. Mine's a 10,000 and I know there are 5,000s available. I like the idea of not having to babysit my charging phone.
I have a very small 5000 mAh battery pack (weighs about 4 oz/115gm), which I rarely need to use at all. I bring a 10 ft/3 meter charging cable, which is usually long enough to reach my bed. On the rare times that it isn't I rely more on the battery pack - that happened once in 40+ days on the Camino last year.

Three small stones?
I took 3 small stones with me as well to leave at Cruz de Ferro. One I collected on the Isle of Man while there with my friend who had failed her Camino attempt and is dead. One for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women (small stone painted by a First Nations artist friend) and one for me. :D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Your list looks good. We all have a different opinion (as you can see) on what is essential. I am fully on Team Poncho and Team Extra Socks.

Your sleeping bag looks massive and very heavy. My Patagonia puffy sleeping bag liner is only 291gr and takes up about a 1/3 of the space as yours. I would consider trying to find something smaller/lighter, is there a gear swap near you or do you have any friends that would let you borrow/rent theirs?

Ziplock baggies are awesome for snacks or for packing out tissue if you have to find somewhere in the woods to relieve yourself. Did you have tissues on your list? Sometimes public toilets are out of paper.

Pro tip: throw a fabric softener sheet in your clothing bag so your clothes always smell nice, or at least less like a sweaty backpack.

I think your list looks very good Sarah. Personally I wouldn't take the emergency poncho or the hand warmers but, that said, your total weight is good, so if they make you happy - take them. I'm sure I have things on my packing list that others would advise me to ditch. ;) Do you have a means to keep your sleeping bag bone dry while strapped to your pack?

I am also on "Team Extra Socks & Underwear." My extra socks could be pressed into service for hiking (due to their merino content), but basically they are for apres walk, travel to and from Spain, and for bed socks if needed. They are looser in the ankle than my hiking pairs, which can feel uncomfortably tight to me after a day's walk.

This little pair of Fiskars folding scissors are terrific and inexpensive if you did decide to get them beforehand:

Fiskars.jpg

Question for you @SarahTheKiwi, I don't see a jacket on your list and I'm wondering it you intend to use your poncho as a wind breaker in lieu of a jacket, both during the day and also after your walk as your explore the town, or sit out in a cafe etc. in the evenings?

Everyone is different. I met a wonderful group of Irish women. One told me she could smell something on the plane on the way home. It was her bra. Her lovely friend acted as the packing police and told them what they could take. Only one bra was allowed. I took 5 crop tops and five undies which doubled as a swimsuit. If I went again I would take four of each.

Trivial suggestions:

Three small stones?
I’m not sure about lightweight gloves and beanie hat. Will be starting in St Jean on 23rd. Any advice?

@SarahTheKiwi ,

It is a well traveled route. When you get there and start walking, you can usually buy something if you need it or get rid of things you don't. Do you have a euro adapter for your electronics? Didn't see that.
Hi - yes I've got the Euro adapter - the NZ plug slides off and the Euro goes on. Very convenient.

Hi Sarah, whats the weight of your sleeping bag? I have a spare Kathmandu lightweight sleeping bag and a spare silk liner that I could get down to you.
I use a lightweight bag with a silk liner and am fine. Given I live in Northland and you in Invercargill, Im sure you wouldnt be cold.
Im heading off on my own this time, hence the spares.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m not sure about lightweight gloves and beanie hat. Will be starting in St Jean on 23rd. Any advice?
Gloves no - not this late; in an emergency you can always wear spare socks as gloves. Unless you suffer from cold hands!
Beanie yes. Can really help as you're warming up for the first half hour or so, easy to take off. Overnight temps are still only 4-5 degrees in Roncesvalles. Good on an unexpectedly cold night. Lifesaver in an emergency

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A good list, and we're all different. These are things I've taken in the past, but not now:
Spork
smartish blouse for evening - perhaps equivalent to your peasant blouse
String
torch
hand sanitizer (there's sanitiser out in many albergues and other places)
I've never taken pegs, battery unit, stones, buff, selfie stick hand warmers.gloves or plastic box. But do take an e reader which rarely needs changing, so don't need a battery pack
Do you need 2 warm long sleeved garments, and an emergency poncho as well as the rain jacket?
Could you take simple wired earphones, or a small Spanish charger instead of your own charger + adapter?
I've learnt from this forum that the lightest way to carry water is in the small plastic bottles you buy it in. (and reuse)
If you're really serious about cutting weight weigh each item - stuff like pouches and wallets can add up.
Enjoy your Camino!
Hi Barbara - I've taken to weighing things (used to laugh at this.... now I'm that person!).

I've discovered I can get a battery pack that's 100 grams lighter. The compromise allows my rain pants. Having those pants and knowing I won't be a soaked friolera means I can also do away with the hand warmers and emergency poncho. Sanitiser is now out, and probably the blouse. I'll just wear my light fleece out - I'm tidy, but not concerned with dressing up.

My phone doesn't have an earphone jack - many of the new ones out are going bluetooth. I am considering the earbuds though - I don't wear them regularly at home, but still want a taste of the music from home. Still on the fence here.

I have a water bottle holder for the front of my pack and intend to find a smallish bottle of drink 500ml, and rinse and repeat. Worked well on the Milford Track. If the bottle were to become unhygienic I can find a new one.

Sarah I'm one who has for nearly 40 years always had a spare (third) pair of socks and underwear. Yes it's a little bit of a luxury but I seriously dislike putting on damp or even just half dry underpants. A 3rd pair of socks acts not only for their intended purpose but also as emergency gloves. And bed socks if needs be - adds significant warmth. On the off chance you get two cold rainy days in a row you will bless that third pair of dry socks !

I wouldn't get too hung up on a couple of hundred grams at this stage. You have done very well to get your weight down to where it is, I personally feel rather than spend money on another power bank, go with what you already have. The longer USB cable is a good idea, personally I actually also have a very short one. It's only what, 7g?

I would only carry one long sleeve top ( so not the extra blouse).
I understand the value of the plastic container but personally just used an additional zip lock bag. Individual choice.

String and pegs. I always used to carry pegs, no longer. I now carry 10 safety pins which weigh less and have far more worth. Double pin drying items to the outside of my pack. (Pegs can work loose, items drop off!) Linked correctly items will not slide down the line. (You can ask always create a removable loop for the first Connection). Less likely for other individuals to 'borrow' them. And my super strong very thin nylon string is six meters long. There have been many occasions where I have used this on camino to create my own washing line when others were full. Or in a hotel room! It's emergency laces, emergency belt, I can make a screen on my bed if I wish and so forth. But not much good if it's too short! I must weigh it, but perhaps 35/40g ?

Ditch the emergency poncho, personally I wouldn't bother with the heat pads , but respect why you wish to carry them. But in the end both the poncho and the pads are light enough that it's not really an issue.

Hand sanitizer - I personally carry one, about 1/3 full for the rare emergency occasions. It's been used on every Camino. (As often in a cafe with no soap as in the wild). You can often top it up with a couple of quick squirts at an Albergue, from somebody that's carrying theirs but not using it, or by buying a new one & donating the rest. Ideal if you need to thread a blister - but stings like hell! (Better than an infection).

I personally always carry enough toilet paper for two uses. I cannot count the number of times I've gone into a cafe and they haven't had any. I don't like the little packets of tissues - it's more plastic waste, and please, please don't use wet wipes no matter what.

But these are all such minor things - you've done extremely well, you could literally shove everything into your pack and leave tomorrow.

Although personally I'd take the cat (gorgeous ) and leave the sleeping bag!
Thank you @Peterexpatkiwi - lots to consider and I will read and re-read this. I dislike damp clothing too. Just makes me cold and brings back awful school camp memories. I'm going with a ziplock bag rather than a container now. Will definitely rethink the clothes pegs in favour of safety pins. More secure and probably harder to "borrow". Don't worry - no wet wipes here!

Your list looks good. We all have a different opinion (as you can see) on what is essential. I am fully on Team Poncho and Team Extra Socks.

Your sleeping bag looks massive and very heavy. My Patagonia puffy sleeping bag liner is only 291gr and takes up about a 1/3 of the space as yours. I would consider trying to find something smaller/lighter, is there a gear swap near you or do you have any friends that would let you borrow/rent theirs?

Ziplock baggies are awesome for snacks or for packing out tissue if you have to find somewhere in the woods to relieve yourself. Did you have tissues on your list? Sometimes public toilets are out of paper.

Pro tip: throw a fabric softener sheet in your clothing bag so your clothes always smell nice, or at least less like a sweaty backpack.
Hi K-Lynn - my sleeping bag is just over 600 grams. It's sitting on an empty pack so probably looks out of proportion. It's a little larger than a loaf of bread. I really feel the cold so can't take chances there. Ziplock will replace container. I was considering a washable pee pad thinking that all bars/cafes would have tissues. Might reconsider there. Won't be leaving any tissues to the wilderness however. Good idea for something to make the bag smell nice. I've never actually seen a drier sheet - they are not commonly used here - but will investigate.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think your list looks very good Sarah. Personally I wouldn't take the emergency poncho or the hand warmers but, that said, your total weight is good, so if they make you happy - take them. I'm sure I have things on my packing list that others would advise me to ditch. ;) Do you have a means to keep your sleeping bag bone dry while strapped to your pack?

I am also on "Team Extra Socks & Underwear." My extra socks could be pressed into service for hiking (due to their merino content), but basically they are for apres walk, travel to and from Spain, and for bed socks if needed. They are looser in the ankle than my hiking pairs, which can feel uncomfortably tight to me after a day's walk.

This little pair of Fiskars folding scissors are terrific and inexpensive if you did decide to get them beforehand:

View attachment 167950

Question for you @SarahTheKiwi, I don't see a jacket on your list and I'm wondering it you intend to use your poncho as a wind breaker in lieu of a jacket, both during the day and also after your walk as your explore the town, or sit out in a cafe etc. in the evenings?
Hi @Sheesh . Hand warmers and poncho are coming off the list and a lighter battery pack and rain trousers are going in, me thinks. Yes sleeping bag will be inside a very durable plastic bag, and I also have a rain cover for the pack. Will look out for those scissors. For cold days/evenings I'm intending to use my parka as a windbreaker, with fleece underneath. If it got terribly cold I could have 2 layers of merino as well. The parka is very good quality, seam-sealed etc.

Hi Sarah, whats the weight of your sleeping bag? I have a spare Kathmandu lightweight sleeping bag and a spare silk liner that I could get down to you.
I use a lightweight bag with a silk liner and am fine. Given I live in Northland and you in Invercargill, Im sure you wouldnt be cold.
Im heading off on my own this time, hence the spares.
Hi @Anamiri . Thank you very kindly for your offer. Perhaps you have the same sleeping bag? Mine's 600 grams, down from Kathmandu. I can't do liners - tried on the Milford Track and found I couldn't get back into it, in the dark, if I got up in the night.

Hi K-Lynn - my sleeping bag is just over 600 grams. It's sitting on an empty pack so probably looks out of proportion. It's a little larger than a loaf of bread. I really feel the cold so can't take chances there. Ziplock will replace container. I was considering a washable pee pad thinking that all bars/cafes would have tissues. Might reconsider there. Won't be leaving any tissues to the wilderness however. Good idea for something to make the bag smell nice. I've never actually seen a drier sheet - they are not commonly used here - but will investigate.
Ask your friends or check a local laundromat!

I understand about feeling cold lol. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Rather than stressing about an extra 500g of weight I’d suggest walking with a heavy pack whenever you can before flying out. You’ll get used to it fast.
I did that for the first time today. Loaded my pack to weigh 7.5kg (including water) and walked for 10km (including up a few steep hills) and now I am determined to bring the bare minimum and travel lighter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wore fingerless cycling gloves which saved the sun damage to my hands and also buffered my hands when using my poles.
I was also wondering about hands from using poles everyday. I hike with poles normally but not for that many hours a day..everyday

Gloves no - not this late; in an emergency you can always wear spare socks as gloves. Unless you suffer from cold hands!
Beanie yes. Can really help as you're warming up for the first half hour or so, easy to take off. Overnight temps are still only 4-5 degrees in Roncesvalles. Good on an unexpectedly cold night. Lifesaver in an emergency
Thanks. I got into having beanie, in summer even. backpacking years ago. Really helped with being damp or bit chilled early morning. Been hooked ever since. Final packing thoughts are winding down!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So the final verdict - part two!

My final pack weight is 5.6kg (not including poles, food, water, and my worn walking clothes). I got rid of the sanitiser, blouse, plastic container, reduced my 10,000mah power pack to a 5,000mah, got USB-C headphones (which I didn't know existed - thanks @trecile ), emergency poncho. Clothes pegs replaced with pins.

I've added a small amount of tissue paper and the rain pants. I'm very happy with the final result.

Attachments

• 20240419_174215.jpg
    20240419_174215.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 5
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just want to thank everyone on this forum before I leave tomorrow morning. You have all been a wealth of information, and incredibly supportive! This has been months in the planning (not overplanning) and it's surreal - the big day is just about here.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.