• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hola!

Caminando

Veteran Member
Hi all,

I'm new on this forum, though not new to the Camino. I first walked from Le Puy to Santiago in 91, then from Jaca a few years later. Then about 3 years ago I walked from Salamanca on the Via de la Plata to Santiago, except for a section or two to avoid those massive fires. I tried to start the Plata from Merida in July, against all good advice - I knew better...so of course I had to stop after 4 days because of the heat, and hopped up to Salamanca to begin again. I've frequently walked the section between Le Puy - Conques. This makes me sound like super pilgrim, but nothing could be further from the truth. I learned the word for blisters in several languages - blaren, blasen, ampoules, ampollas etc. I've gazed in fear and loathing at a number of speedy, lean, tireless pilgrims with a steely faraway glint in the eye as they passed me and I wondered what was lacking in me. Then I had a beer. And used double socks. And pondered my human frailty.

I'm old enough to remember Mme Debril :| and quiet refugios on the Camino Frances! :shock:
And the late Don José Maria of San Juan de Ortega who made an international pilgrim meeting in the evening, and woke us in the morning by softly playing Gregorian Chant.

I'm also old enough to remember the Camino when all emails were sent by pigeon.......
On my next camino I want to consider tolerance...

So it's nice to see this website...

Buen camino.... :arrow:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes hard to believe - but true!! :lol: :cry: :cry: :cry: And I'm only 4 years older than you!! :shock:

And there's more!!!!! when I first walked the Frances, I didnt encounter the interests which I read about now, such as Tarot, crystals, magic, astrology, alchemy etc. Well, apart from the wonderful sharing of the queimada in Villa Franca del Bierzo. Now the Inquisition would have a field day. They would "show you the instruments", or worse, make you queue as in that blog pic of yours at Logrono. Quel horreur!

There was a hint of ley lines, but that was about it. No hiking sticks to be seen. There were no commercial refugios as they have now appeared, that I can remember. No-one, repeat no-one ran at dawn to get the next bed. Hardly any bicis. But hey! I could have simply missed all that.

There were a few vanloads of Spanish teenagers, but nothing too serious.

Do they still ask you at Roncesvalles if you are there for spiritual or religious reasons? Your bunk bed could depend on the right answer 8)

PS nice blog

:arrow:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Re: Ola!

Rebekah Scott said:
Falcon, I LOVE your artwork!
I think I recognise Falcon's photo, and if I am right Rebekah, you would have passed not far from these signs on your way into France in the past few days. There is an 'alternative' route from Aroue to Ostabat that passes via Uhart-Mixe, and these gorgeous snail-Camino signs guide your way along it. If I understand things correctly, the route originally passed this way, but has been altered.
Margaret

Hi Johnny Walker (I went to skool within sight of the distillery which bears your name)

This is strange for me, to be seen as an old guy- I go all all queasy and cover my bald patch when this happens. Like many men, I sort of think I'm in my midthirties :roll: . WRONG! It's not arrogance or vanity - it's amnesia. :? Or senior moments - sigh.

I remember meeting Mme Debril (some mistakenly said Debile) .. I was a mature student then, maybe 38ish, and bemused to be filling out a form just to walk, it seemed. She asked my occupation; I said student. Well , that was it! I was finished after that! She thought you cant be a student unless you were 20 yrs old, so I must be a liar. My French was very poor, and she said to a French pilgrim (the very nice ******) who was with me that I was concealing the fact that I spoke good French. At the time I thought it was somehow obligatory to register with her. What a dragon. Having some kind of illusory authority floated her boat. But hey! I am content to have been singed by her dragon's breath; she was, I found out, famous on the Camino, and a part of its history. As you know, she appeared in Coelho's book :roll: on the Camino. And anyway, if the Camino is also a metaphor for life, then we take the highs and lows as best we can. It's like the posts about alleged rough hospitaleros - we are all rufty-tufty pilgrims and can surely take alleged knocks without howling too loud. (I am not condoning such alleged roughness). **

There was a Dutch guy as hospitalero in Pamplona, who was the sergeant major type. He also kept on about the terrors of the Meseta - he described it like the Sahara, but hotter. My eyes got wider and wider and wondered if I should continue without camels. He said he hid from the sun in a rusting car shell, groaning in fear of his life. When I got to the Meseta, I found it to be one of the most beautiful parts I saw! He wanted to open a refugio near the Col de Somport - I dont know if he achieved it; but he'd have driven folk away with his style. He imposed his camino values on others, which I found was not uncommon on the Way - notions of what a "real pilgrim " is and so on. * I mused that some wanted a hierarchy or caste system, perhaps to soothe their insecurities. I bet this has happened since the Middle Ages. But I digress..as usual..opinionated git..mumble mumble..

In Pamplona, they were running the bulls, which I didnt like - these poor animals are terrified, pursued by testosterone crazed blokes, who are strangely attracted to hospital emergency rooms, which of course they richly deserve - instant karma. In Los Arcos, a pilgrim's horse ran away and we all went to look for it. I remember the owner (Sophie?) didn't thank anyone, but continued on her way. At the time the refugio was a deeply derelict house on the edge of town. I remember a Swiss man who was doing the Picaud etapes - those massive stages in the ancient guide. The guy was gaunt, stressed and exhausted; quite obsessed. I remember Jesus Jato who of course is still there; his refugio made of plastic etc, and very nice too. His daughters, home from University, dancing in the refugio. The solar showers, and the saucy drawings on the shower walls; the Basque woman of 35 who was near blind, teaming up with the 70 yr old Belgian woman who was so frail - mutual self help. AND they got to Santiago. My heros. There was **** from Switzerland who was a Sri Chin Moy adept, and ********** from Bielefeld - lovely people. And Irishman and very strong walker ***** (TGV). I've mentioned San Juan de Ortega refugio in another post. After reading accounts of bedbugs there, I think in my first time here, a bug would have died of loneliness. Did you know that some believe that bedbugs are the reincarnation of early pilgrims who ran at dawn for the next bed ? Spooky, huh?

I was on the Camino by accident; I had been on the section between Le Puy and Conques and liked it. I knew almost nothing of the Camino, and advanced in a haze of ignorance. But somehow I just kept going and ended up in Santiago. There were a lot less refugios then, and I wish I'd taken more pics. It's a page which has turned in the life of the Camino. As it has done for a thousand years of course. And your time has done so too. But it's not over yet! There are new pages to turn.

I got a guide book in St Jean Pied de Port; it was that long book for putting in your rucsac sidepocket. It was in Spanish which I didnt speak :shock: . So I used the maps and dredged up my schoolboy Latin to catch a word or two. I knew it had to come in handy one day; forget Hannibal crossing the Alps and "Delenda est Carthaginia" - this was me crossing the Pyrenées! Hic haec hoc, amo, amas, amat. Thank you Latin teacher who beat us into learning this dead language. My hands still sting with "the belt".

I laughed when getting my Compostellana in Santiago- they put me down as Dionysius, who of course is the god of debauchery, booze and partying -Bacchus, as the Romans had it. And a pagan god into the bargain; what were these good Catholic chaps thinking of? :shock: I think we should be told.

I'll try to recall more - I really wish I had taken a zillion pics. Of course, life was in black and white then.

What did I learn? -and I'm a slow learner, repeating mistakes ad nauseam. I learned that getting to Santiago was not the point - but I was so thick I didnt realise that till I got to Santiago. The point was all the places and people I encountered every day. I think of the book by Baba Ram Das - "Be Here Now"...that, when I at last twigged, was the whole point for me. The present, the moment, the fun, the snooty pilgrims, the friendly pilgrims, the wild eyed runners, the desperately crappy refugios, the nights under the stars, the luxury refugios, the beer by a fuente, the bread and sardine lunch, a paella in Burgos and so on.There is a famous motorcycling writer who says "The Interruptions ARE the journey". I do like that.

(I had some more text here but hit a wrong key and lost it. Just as well)

* If you want to know about the life of medieval pilgrims then read Jonathan Sumption's brilliant book "Pilgrimage: An Image of Medieval Religion". That opened my eyes to past pilgrims! :shock: It's an academic work, not popular history, so don't look for it in your normal bookshop. Order it through the library loans system (UK).

** I repeat the word alleged, for I am a little dismayed at the willingness elsewhere to condemn someone so easily, on a one-sided assertion. Golgotha is also a case in point?

Buen Camino! :arrow:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hahaha! Keep writing.. you're a treasure!
A lot of people want to write books when they return from the Camino, but you.. you really SHOULD write a book!

This made me laugh out loud:

Did you know that some believe that bedbugs are the reincarnation of early pilgrims who ran at dawn for the next bed ? Spooky, huh?

I think I recall this in the Codex Calixtinus:

Centuries ago the snails had their own Camino. They only traveled to Santiago from about 1 km out, but it still took them several months. A group of snails was set upon by a group of turtle bandits. The turtles beat the snails and stole their equipment.

The snails moved as quickly as they could to report the assault to the Guardia Civil. When the policemen asked the snails for a description of the bandits, they replied, "We really cannot say. It all happened so fast."

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There you have it. First bedbugs and then snails.

The history of the camino shows that there's nothing new under the sun, and that humans take their place among the bedbugs and snails; the reason for the snails' reticence was that the Guardia Civil were under Franco at the time, and the snails were POUM.

:arrow: :D

Caminando, I have just noticed your location- near Le Puy. I started walking in Le Puy last year - loved the area and the experiences/ people I met/ landscapes I walked through near there. Am already dreaming about Geneva-Le Puy and/or Cluny-Le Puy in some future year. Have very fond memories of the region.
Margaret

KiwiNomad06 said:
Caminando, I have just noticed your location- near Le Puy. I started walking in Le Puy last year - loved the area and the experiences/ people I met/ landscapes I walked through near there. Am already dreaming about Geneva-Le Puy and/or Cluny-Le Puy in some future year. Have very fond memories of the region.
Margaret

Hi Kiwi

Yes, I started living here only in February, though I bought my small house some years ago. A Camino path passes my door, heading for Le Puy. When doing renovation work, I've invited one or two pilgrims who I spotted, in for tea. It is a lovely region, and I'm only 20 kms from Le Puy. When I first walked from this ancient town so long ago, I never dreamed I would live here!

I often see pilgrims in the area, heading for Le Puy. :D Contact me if you return. Like you I was a teacher (second career): I was teaching (secondary) in London, and it was appalling.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Caminando,
I've loved reading your accounts! What fun!

But I'm extremely concerned (as a language teacher, you know :roll: ) about that last line. I'm afriad it is simply something up with which we cannot put! :wink: Hasn't that line been attributed to one of your more famous countrymen? Other than JohnnieWalker.....

Buen Camino.

I'm flabbergasted! All that from one tiny little dangling prepo!!!!!!

Well, ya know.... really... I ain't got nothin' personally against dangling prepos and the way they impact the language.....

I used to read aloud the Prologue of the Canterbury Tales in Chaucer's voice, then some Shakespeare in a Midlands accent, and the students were amazed at the changes. They thought language was always as they spoke it. Have you heard Chaucer read in his "voice"? It's a joy.
I think I would pay good money to hear this!!!!! :lol:

Caminando, I fear that if we were to continue this thread, we would alienate the majority of forum readers and be soundly thrashed for being totally and completely off topic! 8) However, I share your fascination with the way people speak and how language is put together (although linguistics was a Uni minor, not a major)

I will just add that I must agree with Ortega y Gasset - in my ongoing efforts to share my love of the Spanish language with young speakers of English, the initial lessons nearly always involve teaching them to move their speaking devices (lips, teeth and tongue!!! :roll: ) since they all seem to be trying to learn to be ventriliquists! :shock:

We might acquiesce to put up with a few dangling prepositions after all..... :wink:

Buen Camino,

From the urban dictionary:

prepo - 1. definition - prepo. A prep who acts gangster.

im rockin the hollister polo & my new jordan's, im such a prepo.

Deirdre said:
I'm flabbergasted! All that from one tiny little dangling prepo!!!!!!

Well, ya know.... really... I ain't got nothin' personally against dangling prepos and the way they impact the language.....

I used to read aloud the Prologue of the Canterbury Tales in Chaucer's voice, then some Shakespeare in a Midlands accent, and the students were amazed at the changes. They thought language was always as they spoke it. Have you heard Chaucer read in his "voice"? It's a joy.
I think I would pay good money to hear this!!!!! :lol:

Caminando, I fear that if we were to continue this thread, we would alienate the majority of forum readers and be soundly thrashed for being totally and completely off topic! 8) However, I share your fascination with the way people speak and how language is put together (although linguistics was a Uni minor, not a major)

I will just add that I must agree with Ortega y Gasset - in my ongoing efforts to share my love of the Spanish language with young speakers of English, the initial lessons nearly always involve teaching them to move their speaking devices (lips, teeth and tongue!!! :roll: ) since they all seem to be trying to learn to be ventriliquists! :shock:

We might acquiesce to put up with a few dangling prepositions after all..... :wink:

Buen Camino,

Hi D

I admit to being a language nerd. And you are right that it 's not the right place for such stuff! I am to blame. No moderator need tell me - for I have now stopped. :) Excuse my inappropriate musings - I am old-ish but I guard jealously my adolescent enthusiasms . :D I sometimes am misjudged on this. Lingustics was a minor for me too, but I liked it, though I found it very tough too, once they really got into it. :shock: Chaucerspeak can be found on recordings with actors doing a brilliant job. My efforts to speak it were....mmm...flawed!? :roll:

Whanne that Aprille with his shoures shoote ....etc
Men longen goon on pilgrimage.

You are a Spanish speaker too- how lovely....I've had to concentrate on French and have mostly missed out on your pleasing language. How I admire those who are easily bi-lingual , like you are.

Let our prepos dangle, I'm Ok with that. Last confession - I have been so heavily taught to do the "correct" prepo thing, and despite my blah-blah, I find it impossible to end a sentence with one. (oops, nearly did it there!) :roll: :mrgreen:

That was a nice albergue tabletalk :D

Buen camino

falcon269 said:
prepo - 1. definition - prepo. A prep who acts gangster. im rockin the hollister polo & my new jordan's, im such a prepo.

You may be confusing abbreviations with other definitions? Context is important... :D :) :lol: :wink:
I don't know where you found this, but don't trust it: this definition is stuffed full of punctuation mistakes and impenetrable jargon. :lol:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.