• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Honestly, I'm Terrified.....

mondrus

Hey everyone.. I'm arriving in Leon on Wednesday evening to begin my Camino, and honestly I'm terrified! I'm 21 years old and this is the first time I have done anything like this, and I'm embarking on it alone. I've had 3 years of Spanish in high school, but it's been years... I have no idea what to once I get into Leon... how to find a place to sleep, where to begin the next day, etc.. very basic things I suppose! I guess what I'm hoping for is any kind of advice or encouragement... I'm so terribly nervous, and I'm hoping God will send me some kind of guardian angel to help me through this! :?

Mary

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Mary
I have never done the camino, will be doing it in Decmber and January this year. But if I can give you any encouragement from my experiences: I set off with my husband, so not alone, but just 21 years old nearly 40 years ago, to see the world. We had no map, just a page from an old school atlas, no idea about anything really except a thirst for adventure. The cheapest way to get to another continent then was to take a boat to South Africa (I am from Australia). So we just landed there and thought, ok what now? We knew nothing about anything. We were traveling across Africa, Europe, Asia then for 3 years. Amazing!!! Fantastic!!! Learnt so much, saw so much, grew up to be a different person. You are in for a wonderful life-changing ride, sometimes difficult and uncomfortable, but actually that's the stuff that makes the best memories. And they last for a lifetime. I'm sure people will give you camino-related words of encouragement too, that's my next adventure too (at age 59). But go for it. You won't look back. You are like a flower about to open. Travelling alone on this will make it so much more intense. Your whole life will be better for having done this.
Take care
Maggie

Mary,
Trust yourself! You are about to experience a wonderful journey of self discovery.
Once you arrive in Leon walk to the Cathedral. Go inside. Be amazed and uplifted by the peace and beauty. Then find the side office where you can get a "credential del peregrino". That is your passport for accommodation in the pilgrim refugios/albergues. Then ask "donde esta el albergue de pelegrinos?" Someone will point you in the right direction. Once again, walk (that is what this is all about!) When you get to the albergue you will be enfolded into the company of pilgrims. They will have the answers to anything you need to know. You may choose to walk in company, but do not be frightened to strike out on your own.
Many things will not be as you planned, but that is all part of the fun. Live the moment.
Kanga.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks so much for the advice and quick response... you all really helped me get some sleep tonight! I was actually already sent a pilgrim passport in the mail by American Pilgrims on the Camino I believe... will this be ok to use? Again.. thank you so much, you have all been so helpful and encouraging.

Mary,

Trust yourself and believe in yourself! After you did the trip you will be asking yourself why and for what you had to be terified!
Get your first stamp (sello) in your pelgrims-pass at the Cathedral in Leon and ask around for the albuerge.
While walking though Leon-Centre take a look at the pavement around you...you will notice several yellow/gold arrows which will give you the direction for the next morning........but sleeping in the albergue will give you the information you want to know!
It will come to you!

We all garantee you that you will have a wonderfull experience and will make a lot of new friends from all parts of the world!
Above all..........enjoy it!

BUEN CAMINO!
Paul

Terrified Pilgrim

Dear Mary - If we could all be there with you in person we would! You would have any number of willing guardian angels. But know that we are with you in spirit. And, not only us, but all the pilgrims who have gone before you - millions of them - and all who will follow in your footsteps. You are not alone girl!

Here begins the Journey
Now begins the Day.
With one step upon the Road
Your soul is on its Way.

Enjoy every moment and when you get to Santiago, say hello to the saint from all your guardian angels on this Forum.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always on your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
the rain fall soft upon your fields and,
until your journey's end,
May God hold you safely in the palm of his hand.

Have a great time

Buen Camino
William

calm down...

Hi Mondrus

I did this very route in April. It is excellent. I think you have picked a good time to do it - before the summer madness.

Right in front of the Cathedral is the tourist information office. They will stamp your credencial and tell you how to get to one of the two albergues there. I stayed at the cponvent, it was very nice - the nuns held a benediction for the pilgrims - i recommend it as a way to start.

With three years of Spanish you should be fine - I only had 7 months at one night a week and I was understood.

When you get to Rabanal stay at the Gacelmo albergue, its the english run one and very cosy and inviting.

Buen camino

Hanleyman

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back