• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

hoping to stay in hostels only- is this reality?

brookeshands

Time of past OR future Camino
none yet. planning this june!
hey new friends! I am a first timer and I am planning on taking the trail from paris to st.jean and from st.jean the north (coastal) through spain to santiago.
then from santiago down to malaga. yes, i am in it for the LONG haul

Because i am a single woman making the trip, i am hoping not to have to pitch a tent or to sleep outdoors (i will be honest, i am scared of that) OTHERWISE i am very looking forward to making the long trek. Do you think it is a reality to expect to sleep in a hostel or something like it every night of the trip?
i am hoping to pack lighter by not bringing a tent

thanks!
brooke

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello, brooke. Welcome! From St. Jean to Santiago, no problem with aubergues, hostals, etc. From Paris to St. Jean it's much more expensive and a very mixed bag of accommodation, including chambres d'hotes, hotels, etc. (very few hostels where you need them). There are one or two towns where the municipal campground is the official budget option, but they usually have some kind of trailer/caravan you can rent, or you can stay in a hotel, or opt to plan so you don't stop in those towns. A tent isn't needed at all.

I don't know anything about Santiago to Malaga.

However, I do have to ask what country your passport is from? Are you sure you can do this? Many of us would have loved to do it this way, but if you are from the US, for example, you can only stay in the Schengen zone for a total of 90 days in every 180 days. If you truck really hard you could probably make Paris to Santiago if you don't ever take a rest day and always do very long days. I myself figure that I would need closer to four months, so am having to split my trip into two years. If you're from one of the more privileged countries where this isn't an issue, I envy you.

I think the section from Paris to SJPP is along the Vezelay route. Several forum members including Kiwinomad have walked through there, and have blogs describing their stages and lodging experiences. You can research blog links in that thread, and contact them individually if you like.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think the section from Paris to SJPP is along the Vezelay route

How? I thought the Vezelay started in Vezelay? Very confused, but I'd love to know how this is done. All the folks urging me to do Vezelay instead of the Voie de Tours always told me train to Vezelay, then start walking.

EDIT: But if so, brooke, then never mind what I said about the part from Paris, because I was assuming you meant the Voie de Tours.

Last edited:
I think the section from Paris to SJPP is along the Vezelay route. Several forum members including Kiwinomad have walked through there, and have blogs describing their stages and lodging experiences. You can research blog links in that thread, and contact them individually if you like.

great! thank you for the useful info

Do you think it is a reality to expect to sleep in a hostel or something like it every night of the trip?
No. Most of the accommodations in France will be chambre d'hotes or hotels. In some places there are organizations that arrange beds in private homes of volunteers. You need a guidebook with phone numbers. Evenings are very quiet if you do not speak French. Both the Tours and Vezelay routes have limited gites (like albergues or hostels), and stage lengths can be a bit long between them.

When you get to Spain you can expect an albergue regularly on the Camino Frances.

You will need 40-45 days in France and another 35 days in Spain. That can quickly put you up against the Schengen limits, so your country of origin may be important.

Have fun!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No. Most of the accommodations in France will be chambre d'hotes or hotels. In some places there are organizations that arrange beds in private homes of volunteers. You need a guidebook with phone numbers. Evenings are very quiet if you do not speak French. Both the Tours and Vezelay routes have limited gites (like albergues or hostels), and stage lengths can be a bit long between them.

When you get to Spain you can expect an albergue regularly on the Camino Frances.

You will need 40-45 days in France and another 35 days in Spain. That can quickly put you up against the Schengen limits, so your country of origin may be important.

Have fun!
thank you for the help!

Schengen limits? What is that.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think the section from Paris to SJPP is along the Vezelay route.

You can walk Paris to Vezelay, but the traditional route from Paris (one of the French big 4) goes through Tours and this is the route described by the guidebooks. If you intend linking up with the Norte, then this is the one rather than through Vezelay. The Vezelay route starts in Vezelay.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.