• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Only Sandals in October?

dreamlifeawake

Time of past OR future Camino
starting sept 30, 2023
I am starting the Camino in 10 days (sept 30) and have already bought two pairs of trail runners that aren't ideal for my feet. I have wide small hard to fit feet. (First pair was too narrow - the Salomon aircross 5, the second pair are hoka speedgoat 5's that make my toes go numb even though there is plenty of space) I am testing some moldable insoles with metatarsal support now in the hoka's but wondering if I am good enough with a pair of keen open toe sandals? They are comfortable and fully adjustable (as my feet supposedly swell). I am bringing the hiking sandals anyway but wonder if its easier to just bring them as my main shoes and a pair of flip flops for the albergues. Open to other recommendations too! Thank you!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That doesn't sound good. I wouldn't think of taking anything you already know is not working properly with your feet, but there isn't a lot of time left to find what works. I'm sure that if you can pair the sandals with suitable socks for warmth and to keep water out, you would be getting close to a solution. Others who are sandals users will help. Personally, I would be looking for replacement trail runners and being careful about the fit.

I haven't walked at that time of year, but I exclusively walk the Camino in sandals. I was on the Camino in May this year it was cold and very wet for the first few days. I wore Sealskinz waterproof socks over my regular socks. At the end of a long day of torrential downpours my regular socks were barely damp - and it's possible that it was from sweat. A couple of days later there were huge mud puddles spanning the entire trail that were impossible to avoid. At the end of that day my waterproof socks and sandals were caked with mud, but my regular socks were clean and dry.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm a sandal with sock wearer as well. I dont worry about the fashion police, comfort prevails. I wear a sandal with custom orthotic for a big toe issue.
I have issues getting shoes that fit well, as women's shoes aren't made as wide as men's. I have smallish feet (37-38) with a wide forefoot, high arches. and a narrow heel.
So adjustable sandals suit me well, and my feet dont get as hot either.

As Doug points out - you have to go with comfort footwear. Doing first aid on Camino I can't tell you the number of times I had pilgrims wearing boots/shoes and with bad feet and I always persuaded them to just wear their "evening" sandals they brought with them - often saw them a couple/few days later and their problems were solved! Some said they were stopping off in the next city to buy proper trekking sandals and would never go back to boots.
Keen sandals are my favourite, well shaped footbeds, and so comfortable (for me remember, we are all different).
So I would say go with the Keens - and for an autumn Camino I absolutely love Trecile's socks tip above - outstanding!

Starting the Camino in Keen open-toe sandals may be the best option for you. I went with my Keen closed-toe sandals on my last Camino as my primary shoes. While trail runners are often recommended for their support and protection, it sounds like the two pairs you've tested so far haven't worked well for your feet. Bringing the sandals as your primary shoe, along with flip-flops for rest stops, could allow you to comfortably enjoy the journey instead of struggling in ill-fitting footwear. The most important thing is choosing gear that feels good on your feet. Just be sure to pack any necessities for foot care in case issues arise. Overall, listen to your body and go with what feels best suited to your foot type and needs.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am starting the Camino in 10 days (sept 30) and have already bought two pairs of trail runners that aren't ideal for my feet. I have wide small hard to fit feet. (First pair was too narrow - the Salomon aircross 5, the second pair are hoka speedgoat 5's that make my toes go numb even though there is plenty of space) I am testing some moldable insoles with metatarsal support now in the hoka's but wondering if I am good enough with a pair of keen open toe sandals? They are comfortable and fully adjustable (as my feet supposedly swell). I am bringing the hiking sandals anyway but wonder if its easier to just bring them as my main shoes and a pair of flip flops for the albergues. Open to other recommendations too! Thank you!!!
What ever is comfortable for your feet is the most important. I wear flip flops in rain or sun but the next person couldn't. I do stock to the same brand when I get a good fit. Good luck!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Try Altra Olympus trail shoes if you need a wide toe box. I sized up, inserted Superfeet insoles, wore thick Smartwool socks, and rubbed my feet every morning with Gehwol foot cream. Walked 600 miles with nothing more than tired feet. Going back in April for more!

I started the Chemin de Compostela in Cahors, France on September 3 in 94° heat and wore my tried and true Altra Lone Peaks with Darn Tough socks. My feet got so hot and I developed a blister on the bottom of my right foot. Many euros later, buying Compeed and other bandages as well as going to a doctor in Condom, I bought the Keen closed toe sandals and lighter weight non wool hiking socks ( at Caminoloc in Condom) and haven’t regretted that decision. I continued to walk and my blister(s) healed, and now I switch off between the 2 shoes if it’s a long walking day. I wouldn’t typically recommend taking 2 pairs of shoes, but for this case, the second pair was a Camino saver!

I and several others walked with boots/hoka style footwear with sandals strapped to the side of the rucksack. On most days I walked in my boots and the sandals were my shower/ afternoon footwear for exploring the local town. On the odd day I walked in my sandals. I avoided sliders etc. as they wouldn’t give me an alternate walking footwear option.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have Teva walking sandals. There a little lighter than Keens, but there are some Teva styles that rub and give a blister. I don't take them on the Camino because I can't stand the feel of grit, dirt, rocks under my feet, even with socks.

I haven't walked at that time of year, but I exclusively walk the Camino in sandals. I was on the Camino in May this year it was cold and very wet for the first few days. I wore Sealskinz waterproof socks over my regular socks. At the end of a long day of torrential downpours my regular socks were barely damp - and it's possible that it was from sweat. A couple of days later there were huge mud puddles spanning the entire trail that were impossible to avoid. At the end of that day my waterproof socks and sandals were caked with mud, but my regular socks were clean and dry.
thank you!!! this is what I will try since I have tried every pair of shoes I think in my area… They were great when I bought them but after wearing for longer hikes the issues appeared. Going to do a big hike in the sandals and see what happens. Right now I have medium and thick merrino wool socks.. darn tough and smart wool. Would you recommend liners too? (silk/merrino wool/or nylons) and then the sealskinz on top in case it rains? Also wondering which sealskinz you recommend and if I buy my size (small) and wear them over the others.

thank you!!! so helpful!

Try Altra Olympus trail shoes if you need a wide toe box. I sized up, inserted Superfeet insoles, wore thick Smartwool socks, and rubbed my feet every morning with Gehwol foot cream. Walked 600 miles with nothing more than tired feet. Going back in April for more!
How did they hold up? 600 miles would be close to their reported lifespan

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm a sandal with sock wearer as well. I dont worry about the fashion police, comfort prevails. I wear a sandal with custom orthotic for a big toe issue.
I have issues getting shoes that fit well, as women's shoes aren't made as wide as men's. I have smallish feet (37-38) with a wide forefoot, high arches. and a narrow heel.
So adjustable sandals suit me well, and my feet dont get as hot either.
sounds like my feet!! appreciate the confirmation!

I tried them in the shop but there was pressure on the ball of my foot when walking… 🤷‍♀️. I was given a pair of running shoes with a wide toe box to try but not sure they are solid enough. The sandals are more sturdy.

Altra wide box trail shoes worked for me 500klms plus. Good luck.

thank you!!! this is what I will try since I have tried every pair of shoes I think in my area… They were great when I bought them but after wearing for longer hikes the issues appeared. Going to do a big hike in the sandals and see what happens. Right now I have medium and thick merrino wool socks.. darn tough and smart wool. Would you recommend liners too? (silk/merrino wool/or nylons) and then the sealskinz on top in case it rains? Also wondering which sealskinz you recommend and if I buy my size (small) and wear them over the others.

thank you!!! so helpful!
I normally wear WrightSocks double layer socks, but in colder weather I wear merino socks. The Sealskinz socks are a bit bulky, so I got the lightest weight ones they had which are the socks made for warm weather.

They are pretty expensive, but you can find them on sale sometimes. There are also other brands of waterproof socks like Dexshell and Randy Sun.

I normally wear WrightSocks double layer socks, but in colder weather I wear merino socks. The Sealskinz socks are a bit bulky, so I got the lightest weight ones they had which are the socks made for warm weather.

They are pretty expensive, but you can find them on sale sometimes. There are also other brands of waterproof socks like Dexshell and Randy Sun.
Thank you!

My husband only wears sandals and swears by them to stop blisters happening. He walked in snowy conditions this late winter/early spring with neoprene socks and then just his injinji toe socks as it dried up but remained cold. The only thing to be wary of is chestnut season in October/November in areas where they are prevalent. A pair of tweezers is handy from removing the old prickle from a big toe.

+1 but I use Rocky GoreTex, same results. Even in January the dry socks over wool hiking socks worked splendidly.

What sandal do you wear with an orthotic? Your feet sound just like mine.
They're a German brand, Waldlaufer. They have quite a big range, but not all are hiking sandals. They are quite expensive but my options are limited. I take the sandal in to the podiatrist and have her adapt the orthotic until it fits well. It is quite a process. I do have to wear socks though or the heel strap rubs.
My aunt and husband both walk in Ecco sandals, which work well for them (both wide wide feet also), but the womens sizes are not as wide. My aunt wears the smallest men's size, and it is much wider then the women's of the same length.

My husband only wears sandals and swears by them to stop blisters happening.
Personal experience clearly varies. For many years the only time that I got blisters was wearing sandals. One really does need to confirm that they will be suitable for the longer distances on the camino. I had worn mine for shorter distances quite successfully before my first camino, but they didn't work for me at the end of a long day. Of course, not all sandals are created equal, and I have learned more about keeping my feet blister free over the years, so perhaps it is time to reconsider them, but at this stage, I am still reluctant to do so.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One really does need to confirm that they will be suitable for the longer distances on the camino
Before I switched to only sandals in 2018 I had been on a 6 week trip to Guatemala where I did a lot of hiking, and only wore sandals. That (mostly) convinced me that I could do it on the Camino, but I took a pair of trail runners with me for my Camino del Norte that year. After one day walking in a lot of mud in my trail runners I washed them and left them outside to dry - it was July, and quite warm, so I thought that they would be dry by morning. They were not. So I put on my hiking sandals and never wore the trail runners again.

Altra Lone Peaks with Darn Tough socks. My feet got so hot and I developed a blister on the bottom of my right foot. Many euros later, buying Compeed and other bandages as well as going to a doctor in Condom, I bought the Keen closed toe sandals and lighter weight non wool hiking socks ( at Caminoloc in Condom) and haven’t regretted that decision
Darn Tough socks are great, but I would never wear them in the heat of summer. I figured that out at home walking in warm summer days.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Looks like plenty of us wear sandals and socks! My only suggestion is that when you are buying your sandals (or shoes or boots for that matter) you try them on with the sock combination that you will wear. If they fit perfectly with one pair of socks and you add a second pair of socks because you've heard it's a way to prevent blisters, you can be pretty sure you will get a blister because now they will not fit well. Ask my husband about that one!!

...hoka speedgoat 5's that make my toes go numb even though there is plenty of space)

OMG, I am on the Camino now, was using Hoka Anakapa hikers. While I tested them at home, apparently not enough, because my toes would burn like crazy after 10-12 km. And like you, there was plenty of room in the toe box. I had to mail them back home and get new shoes! I wore sandals for three days solid, but they weren't a supportive enough brand (Chiruca) for day after day.

I bought a pair of expensive, cushy Sketchers in Vigo. Now
I wear them for about 15 km, then switch to sandals at end of day when my feet start to burn!

I've had luck with the Ultras, I agree they are wider in the toes.

Good luck to you! Never Hoka for me again!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I switched from keen hikers to altra lone peak6 zerodrop. Added a soul bed liner for a bit more cushion and lift. First two weeks of the podiensis and not a blister. ( I also switch out the shoes for chocko sandals at 20 - 25 km.

Yes

Chacos Z cloud sandals (with toe loop) worked for me--worn with injinji toe socks. Yes they got wet and muddy -- I washed, dried, and re-wore. Only blister I got was early on with the trail runners so that was the end of that. 🩰

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Chacos Z cloud sandals (with toe loop) worked for me--worn with injinji toe socks. Yes they got wet and muddy -- I washed, dried, and re-wore. Only blister I got was early on with the trail runners so that was the end of that. 🩰
Oh man. I have those and wish I didn’t buy the ones with the toe loop. Mine have one spot that rubs. Still have high hopes for Chacos though

I have those too! Toe loop works better for me, but it's a pain to fix the straps at the start of each walk.

I wouldn’t recommend only sandals in October. I’m on the Portuguese, about 80km from Santiago right now and the morning temperature was down to 11C this morning. There has also been some rain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Elle, I'm sorry to hear of your shoe troubles this time around after so many years I assume have been happy feet. Hopefully the Sketchers will serve you well until you arrive in Santiago.👟👟
The Sketchers held up wonderfully, for 16 more days walking! No blisters, no problems! Happy feet again!!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.