Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hospitalero Volunteer on Primitivo

jrtpilgrim

Greetings:

I walked the Frances in 2008 w/ a spiritual friend (starting in Burgos). In 2010 my wife & I walked the Primitivo.

My wife & I are interested in volunteering as hospitaleros, but would prefer the Primitivo (though that is not absolute). We've looked at the American Friends of Camino and Canadian Company of Pilgrims sites (and do hope -- one or both of us -- to attend one of the training sessions) -- but did not find any information on volunteering for Primitivo service.

My wife is nurse; I am professor & Protestant pastor. We are in late 50's / early 60's & pretty fit. Unfortunately (and we realize this is significant flaw) neither of us speaks Spanish. We are English speakers -- she knows a little French & I a little German.

Any advice?

Thanks jrtpilgrim

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Jrtpilgrim: Thanks for considering becoming hospitaleros. You are the kind of pilgrims that keep the camino going!

First thing to do is get trained. The American Pilgrims on the Camino group does training sessions approved by the Spanish federation of amigos, the oversight group for many of the donativo albergues on the camino; if you live up north the Canadian Company of Pilgrims also provides approved training sessions. Once you have that under your belt, you can apply to the federation for assignment at one of the albergues.

I am a federation trainer too (for the Canadians, located in Spain) and I cannot off the top of my head recall any federation albergues on the Primitivo. In which case, comb through your trail notes and recall which of the albergues or refuges you are interested in serving. Contact them yourself, directly, to see if they accept volunteer hospitaleros, and what their requirements are. Most places are happy to have free help, but be careful. Do not be exploited.

My only second thought about your desire is you want to serve on the Primitivo, and you have very little Spanish. This might be your biggest obstacle -- some of that country is true "España Profunda," and if something went wrong you would need at least a basic grasp of the language. Please consider serving in an albergue along the Frances first, where there are more languages spoken and more infrastructure in place to support you as you learn the ropes.

I hope you enjoy your experience!
Rebekah

Rebekah (and others):

Thanks. This is just the kind of guidance we need.

Your advice about language & the Frances is what we expected. We made it along the Primitivo quite well, but we did not face an emergency of any kind (which a hospitalero should expect).

I've one other question, given your location in Spain. We are planning to walk the Winchester-Canterbury pilgrimage in Fall 2012 (taking about 10 - 12 days). Are there any training events in Spain this coming Fall that might have leaders tolerant of very broken, very poor Spanish or would even have rules allowing such? (By the way, we do not want to break any precedent and completely understand our limitations may not allow or would severely limit any volunteering.)

We'll keep you / the blog posted about our plans.

Thanks you so very much.

James & Marcelyn

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Please get in touch with the CSJ in London. They do their volunteer training programs there in England, in English -- perhaps you can arrange something. Their programs are much more focused on the specifics of the two albergues they run, in Miraz and Rabanal... Rabanal is an ideal place to do your first stint as a volunteer, matter of fact. It´s a tight-run ship with every detail worked out, and you will be placed with a veteran hospitalero who already knows the routine. (It´s where my hospitalero experience was launched.)

Suerte
Reb

Most read last week in this forum

Thanks to those of you who have wished me Buen Camino pm! My plan was Salvador/Prim, but 1) cold feet because of a knee (old injury) and 2) would have to rush with no possibilty of short/rest...
We are arriving in Madrid on May 5th. I went online today to purchase train tickets to Oviedo and it doesn't show any train service. Does that mean the trains are sold out? Or maybe some other...
Hi, has anyone walked the Primitivo in mid-October? What was it like? Weather, tracks and accommodation? I plan to walk from Oviedo to Lugo only, then bus to Santiago after. Thanks for your input.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back