• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hot weather socks on the VdlP?

grayland

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
I am a bit worried about what socks will work in the 35 degree heat (August) on the VdlP.
Others have said that the Smartwool Light Hiking Socks are best....but that is what I wear now and it seems that they will be very hot.

I really think the wool is the answer to the blister problems that others have. I have had very little blister problems on 3 Caminos.

Is there any advice on this? Maybe someone who has walked in the heat before.

I do know that August on the VdlP is not the best idea. 8)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
"I am a bit worried about what socks will work in the 35 degree heat (August) on the VdlP".

These are what you want:
ICEBREAKER
http://www.natureshop.co.uk/icebreaker/mens-wool-socks/
http://www.natureshop.co.uk/Product/274 ... Liner-Crew
m_Hike_Liner_Crew_Black_2749.jpg

&
http://www.natureshop.co.uk/Product/422 ... lite-Micro
& a good discount too :mrgreen:
You could layer them too if you wanted, these are so light you'll be amazed & dry v.v quick & of course don't smell :D

No blisters or hot spots.

David
ps. I might get some more, have only one pair washed every night, dry by morn.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I used the lightest version of the Smartwool socks for ladies in July. Can't say that they kept me blister free -in fact I had a terrible problem from almost day 1 but I think that that had more to do with my shoe/sock combination and the swelling of my feet. In the summer heat clothes and socks dry within an hour so that for sure is not a problem. What did disappoint me was their wear and tear. I brought 2 pairs, wore them 600 km and then used them again this past summer for about 150 km before they got holes in the heel. Not sure if this is normal.

Now trying out a light-weight Bridgedale hiking sock which has a 2-year guarantee. I like them so far but of course haven't tested them in extreme heat. They are a bit more padded in the heel than the Smartwool. As a side note: since I changed over to a running shoe last summer instead of a hiking shoe I stopped getting blisters.

Curious to hear what type of socks others have used in the heat.

Hi, grayland,

I once made a post about my favorite socks: equipment-questions/topic16125.html

One of the great things about these socks is that they only have padding in the heel and front part of the foot. So the rest of the sock is much much lighter while still giving padding.

They are smartwool, so they will still be warm/hot, but for me the padding is worth the added heat.

You will probably be so hot in August on the Vdlp that hot feet will be the least of your worries. :D

I agree that for me at least the padding afforded by a heavier sock is worth the heat retention you will get, especially when walking on hot pavement, which you will be doing quite a bit of. I haven't tried it but I read somewhere that using anti-perspirant on your feet helps keep the socks from getting so wet from sweating.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
peregrina2000 said:
Hi, grayland,
You will probably be so hot in August on the Vdlp that hot feet will be the least of your worries
. :D

:shock: 8) 8) 8) :shock:
May only be able to walk from 5am to 10am :wink:

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back