• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VDLP weather February/March.

Fred2a

Time of past OR future Camino
Port. Lisbon 21
Port. interior 22
VDLP 24
Hi pilgrims !
I am considering walking the Via de la Plata from Sevilla the last week of february to the end of march.
Any of you can tell me what type of weather did you experience at this time of the year there ?
I read the great report written by Karin309 but that was in january/february. It looked very cold then (well, for me) with negative temperatures at some points and I secretly hope that I won’t have to face that.
Thank you !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It was cold there last year in the spring. I was completely unprepared, coldest April & May on record. Check the forecast before you go as there are strange weather patterns everywhere these days.

March 4 to April 12 2022

Cool to mild most days. Some heat closer to Seville. Below zero on the Sanabres but just for a couple of hours. Some rain, but overcast a lot. Snow on the Sanabres.

All you need are layers and a pair of thinner gloves.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It was cold there last year in the spring. I was completely unprepared, coldest April & May on record. Check the forecast before you go as there are strange weather patterns everywhere these days.
How cold was it? All the time? Rain?

Hi pilgrims !
I am considering walking the Via de la Plata from Sevilla the last week of february to the end of march.
Any of you can tell me what type of weather did you experience at this time of the year there ?
I read the great report written by Karin309 but that was in january/february. It looked very cold then (well, for me) with negative temperatures at some points and I secretly hope that I won’t have to face that.
Thank you !
I started from Sevilla a couple of years ago in mid-Feb. At times a little chilly but no rain and lots of sunshine. Biggest issue I had was a couple of albergues that had little or no heating. I plan to go again in a couple of years and will start in Feb again.

There was some frost some mornings. It was cold, wet and raining even in Seville when we left.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi pilgrims !
Thank you !
The further north you get, the colder the temperatures. Leaving Sevilla was fine, temperature-wise but up north things changed. When I hiked this route, it was one of the rainiest springs on record. Much of the path was simply washed out and at times the road was the best option. With regard to cold, I was ok while walking during the day but at night I remember being cold. I am a cold sleeper anyway but I recall one evening it was so cold I wore my down sleeping bag around my shoulders just to walk from the albergue across the street to dinner. I did not run into snow, but it’s weather we are talking about so anything goes. There are a lot of wide open spaces on this route and it can get quite windy. My umbrella didn’t function in the wind, it would just turn inside out! I stayed in a lot of private accommodations, however heat was not usually available. I walked in 2013, so accommodations might have improved since then. Bring warm layers, hat and scarf. I walked alone and met a few pilgrims along the way, some of whom are still friends today. Everyone, including the local residents, was very nice though, very hospitable. Despite the cold and rain, I would walk this route again in a heartbeat!

Thank you for your answers and advices !
It looks like it will still be a winter weather, maybe even from Sevilla. So I will bring my warm sleeping bag, some extra clothes and hope for the best.
Nobody seem to regret a winter departure, especially on this camino.

Sounds lik
Thank you for your answers and advices !
It looks like it will still be a winter weather, maybe even from Sevilla. So I will bring my warm sleeping bag, some extra clothes and hope for the best.
Nobody seem to regret a winter departure, especially on this camino.

Sounds like a good time to go.

I walked it this year starting on March 25.
Wanted to avoid cold / wet weather.
And it was generally quite warm. 10C (6:30 am) -25C (4pm) during the day.
Quite hot some days.
No rain at all.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Back in 2014 I walked from Sevilla to Salamanca starting the first week of February. It had rained quite a bit and all the arroyos were filled to the brim which meant that we had to cross several times with water up to our knees. I learned to keep my shoes on rather than taking shoes and socks off. The water soon after crossing would seep out, luckily without blisters.

Till Salamanca it rained on and off but nothing dramatic. I didn't find it cold, I wore a termal top and hardshell plus pants and gloves. Approaching Salamanca and northwards it becomes colder. Hat and gloves are definitely a necessity.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you Robo and LTfit.
Thank you Trecile for the great link !
After all, the cold doesn’t bother me that much. That season is a good catch. It will be better than walking in the heat, which, as a mediterranean, I try to avoid at all cost.

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from AlmerĂ­a. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back