• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hotel in Bilbao close to airport?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I have an early morning flight from the Bilbao airport in July. Does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel near the airport but not too far from the city? I plan to spend two nights there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@trecile, spend your time in Bilbao. A taxi to the airport from the centre is likely to take less than 20 minutes especially early in the day and cost €25-30. Probably less than the airport hotel premium and you’ll still need a taxi. There are some great little Hostales around the Plaza Nueva and the Plaza is well worth a visit and within a walk to the Guggenheim and most of the worthwhile sites.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@trecile, spend your time in Bilbao.
I was going to say the same thing. Bilbao airport is not that far from the city so I reckon you´d be better off staying in the centre, making the most of your time in Bilbao and booking an early taxi for your flight. The nearer they are to an airport, the more soulless hotels seem to be.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have walked the Norte through Bilbao and stayed in the city on one of those occasions, but I haven't spent more than half a day there, so I would like to be close enough to enjoy the city. And looking at the distance to the airport it does seem worthwhile to stay in town.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for the suggestions. I have walked the Norte through Bilbao and stayed in the city on one of those occasions, but I haven't spent more than half a day there, so I would like to be close enough to enjoy the city. And looking at the distance to the airport it does seem worthwhile to stay in town.
Buses are quick to the airport and start early. Plenty to see and do there!

I've reserved an Airbnb that's between the Basílica de la Virgen de Begoña and the Etxebarria Parkea. Several reviews mentioned that the host was very helpful with transportation to the airport. I'll need to be at the airport around 5:30am, so I don't know if a bus will be running that early, but a taxi will be fine.
I will also be arriving to Bilbao on a flight from Santiago.

I've reserved an Airbnb that's between the Basílica de la Virgen de Begoña and the Etxebarria Parkea. Several reviews mentioned that the host was very helpful with transportation to the airport. I'll need to be at the airport around 5:30am, so I don't know if a bus will be running that early, but a taxi will be fine.
I will also be arriving to Bilbao on a flight from Santiag
Sure. It’s a while since I flew from BIO but I think buses started around 5am and it took approx. 30 mins.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Last edited:
I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Bilbao,it has a regular shuttle bus to and from the airport that takes about 10 mins and the hotel is about a 20 min,taxi ride to the intermodal station

I have stayed at both of the hotel next to the airport because I had rental cars to return and pre-dawn flights. Convenient yes, but the places are over priced and the dining option is very limited.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back