• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How busy is it in August?

notion900

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
>
Hi people

Knowing the big difference between July / August and all other months on the C Frances, can anyone comment on the pressure on refuges on the Norte in August???? Is it necessary to take a camping mat and ever sleep outside or in places like the bike shelter / church porch? Or do the refuges cope with the numbers? I am planning on leaving on about 5 August and walking until 5 September-ish.

Many thanks :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi there,

From my "view" in Santiago... it has been busy... but not chaotic.

I also know that the last stages of the Frances, there is/will be temporal albergues put up. This is done by the local municipality. Once they see that things fill up, the activate these temporal albergues (each municipality make that decision individually).

Not sure of the status of these albergues, if they are operating, or if they are not needed yet, but I know that they are there...

So my gut feeling is that you will be fine on the norte.... and later on the last few stages of the Frances... but if you want to be 100% sure....the camping mat. August is the month "all" spaniards take vacation... so it might be more busy than it is right now.

Buen Camino!
Ivar

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Ivar
Any latest updates on how busy it is? I am due to start tomorrow, haven't yet decided whether to do Primitivo or continue on the Norte all the way. I have a contingency plan for extreme busyness which is to get the bus to A Coruna and to the Ingles.
Many thanks
Sarah

It has been less than 1,000 per day for the last three days, so the huge crowds have let up a bit. Still, 1,000 per day is a busy month, and weekends will be busier.

Yes, strange. The last few mornings have been very busy but the queues have dwindled in the afternoon. People driving into Santiago today however have spotted lots of pilgrims along the Camino Frances and the Camino Portuguese making there way here. As ever there will be a mountain of pilgrims at the weekend. The office is incredibly well staffed with staff and volunteers and in the quiet moments I have been using forum questions as english tutorials :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
Elevation map shows this is really steep! What’s the best way from downtown Hondarribia up there? Then wish me luck on the Purgatorio—I am a nervous wreck.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back