• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How can I get from Pamplona to SJJP? March 2024

barbfox5759

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2013
Hi, What is the best way to get from Pamplona to SJJP? Last time I took a bus, but I am having a difficult time confirming a bus time for March 2024. It looks like maybe ALSA? Any help would be much appreciated. I think sharing a ride with other pilgrims might be a good option, too. Any thoughts?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't know when the daily bus from Pamplona to SJPdP starts running. It may be as early as March. The schedule won't be available until about a month before the bus starts running.
If the bus isn't running yet, you will need to take a taxi. This taxi company will attempt to pool you with other pilgrims to share the cost if you book ahead.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't know when the daily bus from Pamplona to SJPdP starts running. It may be as early as March. The schedule won't be available until about a month before the bus starts running.
FWIW, in 2023 Alsa buses from Pamplona to SJPdP started on March 16th with one daily service at noon, see link below, but that does not mean of course that it will be similar in 2024:

Easter is early next year: Sunday, March 31, 2024. It is therefore likely that ALSA buses will start serving the line Pamplona to Roncesvalles during the week before Easter Sunday if not earlier, i.e. mid-March.

If the bus isn't running yet, you will need to take a taxi. This taxi company will attempt to pool you with other pilgrims to share the cost if you book ahead.

Thanks so much for the information.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thanks, I thought I might be looking a little to early. Good to know about the taxi.

Easter is early next year: Sunday, March 31, 2024. It is therefore likely that ALSA buses will start serving the line Pamplona to Roncesvalles during the week before Easter Sunday if not earlier, i.e. mid-March.
Thanks, I thought Easter may have an impact.

I'm having the same dilemma. We need to get to St Jean (from Pamplona ) April 3rd. Train arrives at 2:00 pm so we may have to try a taxi share . I will post a taxi share request once a bit closer to April 3rd if it turns out the bus isn't an option for us.
btw , we're counting on having to do the Valcarlos route that early in the season. But hey, maybe we get lucky and will be able to do the Napoleon Route if the weather is good :)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm having the same dilemma. We need to get to St Jean (from Pamplona ) April 3rd. Train arrives at 2:00 pm so we may have to try a taxi share . I will post a taxi share request once a bit closer to April 3rd if it turns out the bus isn't an option for us.
btw , we're counting on having to do the Valcarlos route that early in the season. But hey, maybe we get lucky and will be able to do the Napoleon Route if the weather is good :)
Thanks. Yes, I guess we will have to see when it gets closer. Last time, in mid June, the weather was very bad on the Napoleon Route and there was no visibility. I was hoping to walk that way again, but I think it may be doubtful. At least, it will be nice to take a different route if need be,

Update: Alsa has updated their website. The timetable for the bus from Pamplona to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port is now available. Tickets can be booked from 25 March 2024 (week before Easter) until currently 19 July 2024. The ticket price is €22. Departure 12:00.

PS: On the Alsa website, the destination is written as "Saint Jean de Pied de Port". They got it nearly right. It's a difficult name to remember. :cool:

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back