• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How difficult in Camino del Norte - San Sebastian to Bilbao?

kerryabu

Time of past OR future Camino
camino French 2016
camino northern 2017
Hello, I am planning to walk the San Sebastian to Bilbao stage of the Camino del Norte in the first week of September 2018. It is hard to gauge from previous posts the level of difficulty for this stage? I am in in my late 50s and have a reasonable level of fitness. From what I have read, the most difficult stage seems to be between Deba and Markina-Xemain. Also a lot of posts refer to the mud on the trails, I would not expect this is in early September? Any advicd would be appreciated!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi kerryabu and welcome to the forum. I think the main reason that it's hard to know exactly how difficult the Camino Del Norte will be for you is because we all have such different fitness levels and tastes. The most objective way to get a sense of how difficult it is is to look at the elevation profiles that some of the online sites have. http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/mobile/los-caminos-de-santiago/del-norte/

Mundicamino.com is another one with elevation descriptions. Difficulty is a combination of steepness and total elevation gain, so by looking at those charts you may be able to compare your abilities to what those charts show.

I just walked the Norte this past summer. I am 67 and in pretty good shape. I was never totally wiped out at the end of any of the stages I walked. No doubt, some of them are challenging. But for me the coastal views made up for it.

The mud can be bad in some spots, but will just depend on whether there's been a lot of rain or not. September is likely to be pretty dry, but there's no way to predict that of course.

I guess the hospitaleros at the albergue in Deba will warn you if the weather makes the path dangerous. In the wet, cold and windy spring of 2013 we were asked to take the train and most pilgrims did.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Perhaps you can tell us how you felt on some of themore hilly stages of the Frances? Did you think you were going to die along the Napoleon route and would never have made it had you not stopped in Orisson? Or did you walk from SJPP to Roncesvalles in 5-6 hours?

What about O'Cebreiro?

How long were your comfortable stages on the Frances?

I'm starting the Nortes on the 13th or so, so I'm a week behind you. I've walked the Frances, VDLP and Portugal twice in the last year.... even backwards and I can tell you one thing...... tough means more time.

FYI the first day on CF, one would walk 1200 metres up and then down. First day of Nortes, it's 200 metres up and down twice. Approximately of course. Take your time and you'll do well. My thoughts....really getting excited. One month left until walking time

Nothing on the Norte is as tough as the climb from SJPDP to Roncesvalles (either Napoleon or Valcarlos). Which is perhaps meaningless if you have not walked that.

It is pretty hard to assess how you will find it without knowing your usual activity level - it varies so much from place to place, occupation to occupation. If you were a city dwelling indolent office worker - I would say it is quite tough. If you were a construction worker or a country dwelling sheep farmer in the high country - I would say easy peasy!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No problem. Into Deba fairly steep but escalator on steet. New boardwalk after Deba so no mud go for it. Easy buen camino

I'm starting the Nortes on the 13th or so, so I'm a week behind you. I've walked the Frances, VDLP and Portugal twice in the last year.... even backwards and I can tell you one thing...... tough means more time.

FYI the first day on CF, one would walk 1200 metres up and then down. First day of Nortes, it's 200 metres up and down twice. Approximately of course. Take your time and you'll do well. My thoughts....really getting excited. One month left until walking time
Hi I am leaving on the 12th so maybe we'll meet on the way . Buon Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back