• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do I get to Loarre Castle?

dick bird

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
2012, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2024
The Castillo de Loarre is on of the gems of the Romanesque and is sited tantalisingly close to the Camino Catalan between Bolea and Sarsamacuello near the town of Loarre. I reckon it is possible to walk up to it and carry on in one day. Wikiloc, All trails etc show trails and I could probably just walk up the A2223. But I would like to hear from anyone who has done it and how.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is a fantastic side trip which I did in May of 2023. The first night I was there I stayed in the town of Loarre. I ventured up the road through "Camping" which is mainly used for motorhomes and caravans although there is a bungalow there and a very good restaurant. It's quite a hike to the top but definitely well worth it. It was late in the day when I did it. I came back and spent the night in the bungalow and hiked back to the castle the next day because it was so interesting. The walk was mostly on the road. Just be careful. It was cold and VERY windy. Be mindful and present.

I've included two Relive videos of that excursion. I highly recommend it.

Day 19 5.15 Bolea to Loarre

Day 20 5.16 Zero day in Loarre

Admission was 6€. Included is a downloadable video for a self-guided tour. I recommend getting that. Plan several hours up & back and the tour.

Buen Camino and enjoy!
Bartman

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I passed on the castle. You shouldn't. I didn't know how fantastic it is. Also it was November and so daylight hours were a premium and I made the (incorrect) decision to keep walking.

In the albergue at the sports center in Bolea I took a photo of a map of the next stage. You can see the castle with the side trip there starting from "Carretera" which isn't a named location but indicates the highway crossing.
IMG_20191102_063414_1.jpg

For this post I used the OSMand app to see if there was a shortcut to the castle from the camino not using the highway. It found a 2.4 km way starting at 42.31494 -0.60509. Note that this OSM map has the campground mentioned by @Bartman appearing on the highway. The camino is highlighted by blue as seen at the green flag indicating a way to the castle at the checkered flag.
Screenshot_20231212-090139.png

Just for fun I'm adding this picture. On maps you will see that the camino has a bridge at the entrance to the village of Loarre. Using the bridge is optional.
IMG_20191102_125640.jpg

I just walked up from Loarre past the camping (and the restaurant was good when, for some reason, everywhere in Loarre was closed). It is uphill, but not viciously so. I was there in the late afternoon and had the place to myself, but would not have minded a tour. The view from the castle is exceptional.

The castillo has a sello, which you should definitely get on your credencial.

The castle is unmissable with a great history and recently featured on the "holy grail" documentary although couldn't recall any mention on the audio tour or any markers. Good feed and view from the restaurant on the way at the camp ground.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
For readers who aren't familiar with Loarre Castle here's why it is worth a side trip. Too bad for me that I hadn't searched for these four years ago.

First, to grab you, is 3 and a half minutes of drone footage followed by a 16 minute video of the interior.

Loarre Castle had location shots filmed for a number of movies, Kingdom of Heaven is probably the most notable. The link below lists a half dozen of them.

Last edited:
BTW, while to add screenshots of maps to this thread @trecile used the app Mapy. cz and I used the app OSMand many of the mapping, navigation and track viewing apps mentioned on the forum use data from the Open Street Map (OSM) project. They have a web interface that you can use to view maps if you don't have one of the many OSM based apps to play with.

Most read last week in this forum

Day 1 - To Montserrat we go ...... 4 yrs since the last Camino, older, less brain cells, easily confused usually followed by a touch of frustration and sometimes panic :) . I left Coventry, UK at...
Hiya, currently on the Camino and I’m in need of some advice on how to split up the days from Huesca until I reach the Camino Aragonés by Santa Cilia. I have a rough plan but the next few days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back