• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do you tell people what the Camino de Santiago is?

Hi everyone, later this year I'll be walking the Camino Frances from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela. I'm just interested in how everyone explains what the walk is to people?

This comes from the fact that my mother, and sister have absolutely no interest in what I'm doing and what it is, which is slightly upsetting and part of the reason that I want to walk. My dad on the other hand has been so interested and is constantly researching and taken me to go and see the films about the Camino and is desperate to come, and I hope one day he does a Camino for himself because he definitely needs it!

So how can I show my mum and sister what I'm doing? Or should I just not bother all together, leave for Europe, not contact them and return 3 months later? Although the last option probably isn't the best :p

Thanks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Let them watch 'The Way' :) ,
It's a growing thing, before, during, after, & more after........Not sure it ever stops :arrow:

Too Many Choices said:
Hi everyone, later this year I'll be walking the Camino Frances from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela. I'm just interested in how everyone explains what the walk is to people?

This comes from the fact that my mother, and sister have absolutely no interest in what I'm doing and what it is, which is slightly upsetting and part of the reason that I want to walk. My dad on the other hand has been so interested and is constantly researching and taken me to go and see the films about the Camino and is desperate to come, and I hope one day he does a Camino for himself because he definitely needs it!

So how can I show my mum and sister what I'm doing? Or should I just not bother all together, leave for Europe, not contact them and return 3 months later? Although the last option probably isn't the best :p

Thanks.
Abbeydore said:
Let them watch 'The Way' :) ,
It's a growing thing, before, during, after, & more after........Not sure it ever stops :arrow:

Like faith or love the effects of the Camino are innumerable and inexplicable. You can show to others the route on a map, discuss its thousand-year history, describe legend and built realities, but each pilgrim discovers individually what it means for himself. For some of us our minds and hearts have been deeply changed by the experience. As Blaise Pascal once wrote "le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing."

Ultreia!

Margaret

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm not trying to make them know what the feeling is like, as I haven't even had those feelings yet!

More just trying to interest them, as my sister doesn't think it's a cultural trip! And no matter what I tell her she doesn't get it!

don't bother...

maybe rather ask yourself why is i so important to you that "they get it"

I agree that it is nice when people take an interest, but I am liviing my life for me, so the main issue is what i think not what everybody else thinks.

I often find that when i need other peoples approval/interest/etc it is because I am uncertain/unsecure/etc

besides you have your dad :D

just seen below that you are "only" 19, so please don't take offence at my update

I now realise that not bothering may be harder than first assumed...

please regard the above post as a process that will take some time (years...) and is part of your becoming independant, detatching from "parents" and defining yourself as a person in "your own right" process...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hahaha no offense taken, but you're right in terms that at my age, I know I'm not young but I've just finished school and it's a time of big change, but the main reason for wanting them to be interested is just because it'd be nice for family to be interested, it's not to much of a big deal though.

I now realise that not bothering may be harder than first assumed...
Hmmm I disagree with this, I think 'not bothering' in a good way is quite easy. In fact I do agree with not bothering! They were just thoughts on the topic :)

which is slightly upsetting and part of the reason that I want to walk
You have an excellent topic to consider as you walk -- why should anyone think the way you do, and when they don't, why do you care?

you are right, it is nice when they take interest :)

but i think it is also nice that you and your dad has "something" for me that was often a little more special than with my mom (and sister) because she was usually always over-all more present, maybe also because i was a "girl"

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Does it have to be either/or. So, your mother and sister don't understand your motive. That's okay. This is YOUR camino. You do it for yourself, not for others. Let them not understand, maybe when you return, you will be able to explain it better. That doesn't mean you have to cut them off! Keep in touch. I sent out several blog posts along the way to give people a glimpse of my experience. No one who has NOT undertaken a camino can understand...and even amongst those of us who have, no one can fully understand YOUR experience. Buen Camino. :D

But you are not , so ::::shrug::: you can never in a million years control what people choose to believe.

This walk will change your life

Ask anyone who has done it

Follow your bliss ...not theirs

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There will be many experiences in life that cannot be explained or fully understood by others - childbirth, divorce, my son fighting in war all come to mind. Many people wil walk along side you on the journey, but the full understanding of your experience belongs only to you and God. Be grateful for those with whom you can share, but love even those with whom you can't. Your mother and sister may come to understand when they look at you after your Camino and see the man you are becoming - a man who says "yes" to what his heart calls him to do.

If family and friends don't show any interest when you're taking off to walk hundreds of miles across Europe, I suspect you're not the problem!

The Camino is a funny thing. On the surface it could appear like a '800km walk that only experienced hikers with big beards do'. Maybe your family don't see you in that mould, and suspect you'll end up spending a month on the beach instead! 8) For me, the Camino is a 25km walk repeated as necessary until arrival in Santiago. This year my Camino was so much more peaceful and relaxed than last year, as I understood better that I was living in the day and not the 800km. Nor did I need a big beard (additional weight, tut, tut!) Sorry, I've gone off topic! :D

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
love the link
Loved the young kid who when asked by his mom why he was doing the Camino replied "because I have no choice".
Ian

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My all time favourite post was from Annette under the heading "so why do you do it?" when she describes the difficulties of trying to explain the camino to those who have not done it. The post is 4 years old but just as meaningful today as it was then.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Alan Pearce said:
My all time favourite post was from Annette under the heading "so why do you do it?" when she describes the difficulties of trying to explain the camino to those who have not done it. The post is 4 years old but just as meaningful today as it was then.
Shared here again for all.

Strangely I have never really had problems telling people, but also I do not really expect them to understand any more than I will understand their disney clubs and turkish resorts....

Mostly I just tell people that "it makes me feel part of something bigger" most actually want to know more, some don't which is fine...

last year I had told my CEO that i planned on going and he said than his daughter was going too...

a few months later he said than now she had returned back home and I really should go because she had "the glow" I told him I knew, I had already been and I thought he should go too. I am fairly sure he considered it...

sometimes a lot of words aren't needed...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
SOme people share the joy of the Camino, some people don't get it, some people feel envy at your courage and may react oddly, some people will think you are selfish for doing osmething just for you... All in all, it's about YOUR journey. THis is YOUR dream. You do it, share it iwth your dad and use this time to lift your mother and sister in prayer. I am planning my journey for next June... and I see that there are a multitude of feelings in others, I am not responsible for other's feelings. I con tinue to be filled with joy that I am taking this time to do something I feel strongly about, Buen Camino, my fellow peregrino!

I walked the Camino when I was 21. My parents accepted my decision to walk, although I highly doubt they understood it- I'm not sure they understand even now.

The Camino has had a very deep influence on my life, mostly in ways that are subtle and not obvious to the outside observer. If you feel the calling (and I use that word with a lot of consideration), go.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As long as you get it, that's all that matters. My family as zero understanding of my life and why I do things - nor do they want to change that. I've given up on trying to get them to understand. That's their limitation, not mine. My mom finally accepts (even without getting it), the rest still battle me and try to make me justify. Back when I was younger it bothered me more. Now I've just built myself a family of choice who may not always understand the whys of the things I do but are always 100% supportive of my efforts.

It's funny, generally my mom just lets things go when I tell her stuff but this trip has her worried, particularly the fact that I'll be spending a couple months in the middle east. She's insisting on itinerary info and contact info for while I'm traveling. She said the other day "I've accepted that you'll die far from home doing something I don't get. You just need to make it as easy as possible for me to find you when you do."

Too Many Choices said:
I'm just interested in how everyone explains what the walk is to people?
I can't imagine the number of ways people might explain to others what the Camino de Santiago means to them. Let alone reach an understanding of their motivations.
I suppose that loving parents, who see their inexperienced young ones going abroad on some sort of a mysterious hike, are worried about what can happen to them.
A good start would be to come up with a properly prepared plan. List how you think to be traveling, a timetable of where you will be reachable, what you (and they) should do in emergencies, what kind of costs you envisage and how you will fund these, etc. etc.
Then discuss this with your parents and ask for their particular suggestions to be added to your list. It is important that you can make them feel comfortable with your plan. That's your challenge!
They may or may not understand your motivations for walking the Camino de Santiago. These should be your privilege!

I think that it's difficult to make other people understand just why you want to do something that they might not be interested in, or even understand why you would want to.

For years I've heard about the Camino - and not really been interested at all. Then, suddenly this year, I had a very strong yearning to do the route myself! Being retired now, and with a very understanding husband who has also 'seized the moment' and is as excited as myself to join me, I feel that this is the year to do something we will both enjoy. Did I say 'enjoy'? We know that it will be hard work, and sometimes even wonder just why we are doing it. But I, personally, cannot shake off this feeling that it's something I really 'must' do - and so we're going for it. I think going at such a young age will be a wonderful experience, and will definitely change you and your outlook on life. It is something you will never regret having undertaken, and perhaps one day your father can join you when you decide to go again. I wouldn't rule out your mother and sister either - like me, they might well suddenly realise what it's all about!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
Or do you prefer Cromwell's attitude? Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry. I am starting to get tired of the attitude that it isn't necessary to take reasonable care and thought...
I struggle with social anxiety and I was wandering if anybody with the same issue had a positive experience on the Camino walking alone. I saw lots of posts and videos people talking about forming...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Money stolen from bag on bed while sleeping. Estelle municipal hostel. Not a big inconvenience as my passport and credit cards were left.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back