• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How often do you take a break?

falconbrother

Time of past OR future Camino
June - July 2024
My wife and I walk a lot. Yesterday we hiked in the mountains all day and this morning we walked about 5km after breakfast. Yesterday was a hard walk due to steep ups and downs. At the end of the trail I needed a serious break.

I’m 60 and in good shape, all things considered. I’m trying to figure out how far to walk before breaks. I tend to push hard and probably make it harder on myself than is needed.

Do you have a rule of thumb on this?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I haven't done a scientific study, but I it depends on many things. How far do I want to walk and what time did I start? What is the weather and Are there nice places to sit? What do I feel like that day? Is anything hurting? If I'm walking with someone else, do they want to stop? Am I hungry? Is there a big hill up ahead that I should rest for? Is there a big hill up ahead that I would love to finish before my break? I plug all that into the computer that I carry under my hat, and an answer eventually comes out! :cool: 😄

I temper all those questions with the awareness that at the end of the day's stage, my body seems to feel better if I have had rests during the day. (I assume that it is more effective to allow recovery from mild stress than wait until your body is exhausted.) For that reason I generally try to take a break every couple of hours.

P.S. - This is the stuff that we ponder while walking all day!

Last edited:
If you tend to "push hard" then maybe it might be a good idea to have a fixed "break time" at least in the beginning.

In my experience, stopping every hour or so for a few minutes works well enough. Just sit down, drink a few sips of water, have a snack (nuts, fruit), let your feet rest for a moment. Then continue.

It can also be a good idea to take off shoes and elevate feet for a few minutes, maybe change into dry socks if needed.

Plus at least one longer break per day (for example for lunch, second breakfast...).

During the longer break sometimes I even lay down my sleeping mat or lie on a park bench for a while and take a nap if I found a nice place! Sometimes other pilgrims will laugh, but honestly, it can be really nice to rest for an hour or so like that, listening to the wind, birds, people walking by, enjoy the shade or the sun, depending on weather...

No need to hurry :)

Buen Camino!

My wife and I walk a lot. Yesterday we hiked in the mountains all day and this morning we walked about 5km after breakfast. Yesterday was a hard walk due to steep ups and downs. At the end of the trail I needed a serious break.

I’m 60 and in good shape, all things considered. I’m trying to figure out how far to walk before breaks. I tend to push hard and probably make it harder on myself than is needed.

'Pushing hard' can lead to injury I have found.

My breaks vary according to how I feel, the distance that day and the terrain.
Some days I take a lot.
Some days I feel stronger and take less.

I don't really factor in breaks, but just allow enough time overall to have plenty.
So my 'rule of thumb' is only 3 kms / hour including breaks.

i.e. 24 kms will take 8 hours.
Including a break for lunch, rest breaks, stop for photos, videos etc.
I might take a bit longer, or a bit less.........

On steep hills I pause every few hundred metres to take in the view, have a drink etc,

I tend to be of the "stop when I need a rest" persuasion, tempered sometimes by a desire to adjust that to suit the presence of shade, or somewhere to sit, or available refreshments. When I was walking with my son in 2016, we liked to get some km in before breakfast and, as time went on, he liked to push breakfast back further so he would have more of the day's walk under his belt and less to tackle when he got up.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I only stop when I have to, like when I see a bar.

Or something to photograph.
Or a wonderfu view.
Or a nice bit of shade.
Or a handy place to sit.
Or some cute animals.
Or an interesting person to chat to.

I'm amazed sometimes I have enough time to do any walking at all......... :rolleyes:

If you tend to "push hard" then maybe it might be a good idea to have a fixed "break time" at least in the beginning.

In my experience, stopping every hour or so for a few minutes works well enough. Just sit down, drink a few sips of water, have a snack (nuts, fruit), let your feet rest for a moment. Then continue.

I totally agree with that. My husband tended to "push too hard", so we instituted a break every hour, for 5-10 minutes. It worked extremelly well, as it was a very natural rythm for me and he also adapted to it quickly.

Like @good_old_shoes, it was just a quick stop for some water, feet rest, some stretching, then we go on. But as others also said, if you feel like you need to stop, do so. Always. It's not a race and your body is your tool to get to Santiago, so treat it well!

My rule of thumb for 60+ is 10 minutes rest per hour, and one day off per week. Can't say I abide by the hourly stops entirely when walking alone, but the one day off per week is essential.
And an hour for lunch.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No, not as such. It varies so much. It can be like @Anniesantiago , when I feel the need, but equally I might come across a lovely spot that just cries out to my soul 'Stop! Appreciate me!'.
At others, it's catching up to someone you like, or, possibly, a stranger who needs assistance.
If I'm lucky, it's a nice cafe just when I'm feeling peckish. Or a quiet, shady spot after an hour or two in the sun.

There is one thing I do try and do and that's stop after three or four hours to air my feet, and change my socks. Any other breaks are just bonuses.

I've never planned my time or my mileage although I have to say should I need to do so I really like that '3km per hour inc. breaks' rule of thumb of @Robo above. Seems like a pretty good guideline.

It can also be a good idea to take off shoes and elevate feet for a few minutes, maybe change into dry socks if needed.

Plus at least one longer break per day (for example for lunch, second breakfast...).

During the longer break sometimes I even lay down my sleeping mat or lie on a park bench for a while and take a nap if I found a nice place! Sometimes other pilgrims will laugh, but honestly, it can be really nice to rest for an hour or so like that, listening to the wind, birds, people walking by, enjoy the shade or the sun, depending on weather...

No need to hurry :)

Buen Camino!
This thread and @good_old_shoes's reply is making me think a lightweight rest mat could be a worthy addition to the pack. I found one for 9 ounces. Worth the weight?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This thread and @good_old_shoes's reply is making me think a lightweight rest mat could be a worthy addition to the pack. I found one for 9 ounces. Worth the weight?
I just use my allegedly waterproof jacket folded up. If it is too wet to take the jacket off then it is probably not a good time to stop for a breather either! :cool: But I can't see a good reason why not if the rest of your pack isn't excessive.

My wife and I walk a lot. .... I tend to push hard and probably make it harder on myself than is needed.
How does your wife feel about being pushed so hard? If you two are walking at different paces, then a regularly scheduled pause (say, every 2 hours) would let the latter one catch up with the front-runner, just to check in that everything is going ok.

I take a 3'x3' piece of tyvek. It truly has no weight and folds up to nothing. A sit pad keeps you off grass and dirt in addition to having more options where to sit. I mainly use it whenever I have a picnic lunch break in the wild.

EDITED to add: I do stop for a cafe con leche or an occasional OJ, and if the cafe has outside seating I sometimes remove my shoes. A quick afternoon chocolate stop can pep me up with a bit of renewed energy, too. Yeah, in hindsight, I do rest a bit during the day.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

My wife and I have a timing system. We walk for an hour, stop and have a decent drink . We walk another hour Stop, sit (remove shoes) and have a drink and a snack. We do this ALL day proper rest every 2 hours. We're both in our 60's and we can walk all day.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I second, or third the preferences of many above. My personal walking style is to KNOW my day's objective and the overall distance, then manage how I walk to get there. This includes planned, and ad hoc stops.

I tend NOT to stop to admire the view, or make side trips to visit ruins, etc., as I can do this on the move. Though, I will stop to take an interesting photo.

My routine is to stop for a pause and drink every one-hour or so on flat or rolling terrain. I will stop at the top of a climb - steep or long hill for a pause and a drink of water. Beyond that, I stop when I need or want coffee, a piece of tortilla, or a sandwich / bocadillo. Other than this, I keep on the move. Then again, I walk alone, or with the occasional "tag along" camino friend.

My average rate of forward movement over a day is four km / hour. It is somewhat less walking uphill, and somewhat more walking downhill. But, over the course of my day, I tend to average 4 km / hr, or one km each 15 minutes. This is how I measure my pace and distance walked. Over the years, it has been quite accurate - for me.

Hope this helps.

Tom

We stop for a few minutes every hour, and if there happens to be a cafe in the right spot, stop for refreshment for 15 minutes, a few times a day. Usually air feet and change socks in those longer breaks, or at lunchtime.

I wouldn't call it a rule of thumb, but the rhythm of my Camino Day usually goes something like this (depending on all the variables and opportunities others have mentioned):
Walk 2 hours; short break of 10-15 minutes (shoes off, maybe first or second coffee):
Walk 2 hours; longer break about an hour (shoes off, swap socks over, maybe lunch);
Walk 2 hours; short break as above.
Walk 2 hours if necessary.
I seem to average a steady 4km/h, so this gives me about 24 or 32km.
I factor in a rest day each week in my planning, but rarely take them in practice.
I'm in my mid 70s.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

The following is a suggestion so you do end up in the Hospital :
1-plan the total amount of a daily walk - between 15- 20 km. (Based on the fitness of the weakest member).
2-plan also so that you are reaching a town at a decent time to rest , go to mass, and have supper.
3-take a 5-min rest every hour you walk
4- enjoy the experience it is a community of travelers and the grace of god if your pilgrimage has an element of faith.
5- I use this on my travels from Jet Jean Pied de Port to Sarria. Then since I overdid it had to stop.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’m gearing up for my 3rd solo Camino and like you, tend to push it a bit further and harder than I should. The rule I’ve set for myself is to take a mandatory break every 10k or 2 hours (which ever comes first), no matter how good I feel, AND to stop and admire the view at the top of every big climb.

That’s not to say I wont stop when other opportunities present!
As some reminded me early on in my first Camino: “ it’s a pilgrimage, not a penance”. 😊

Bon Camino

Lots of good advice here. I’m a pretty fit mid-50s and my personality has always been to ‘tackle the challenge’. Part of me really enjoyed that on my Camino but the downside was that I was very tired at the end of the day. I was also not eating enough

In retrospect, and for my next Camino, I plan to take more breaks and relax a bit more. I also plan to stop in towns along the way for extra ‘rest days’ so I can see the sights. There were so many towns that honestly deserved more attention than the few evening hours I had.

I am a walker and hiker. I have learned that there is great wisdom is listening to my body. When I begin my day, I review my goals before beginning. My goals seldom dictate getting to a specific point by a specific time. If I sense something painful, I take care of it at the time rather than just push through it blindly. I am old enough that my body does not work as well as it once did. I don't attempt to win any speed contests and there is not a competition that interests me.
Other objectives are more about finding joy along the way. If I see something interesting - a special view, a remarkable example of architecture, beautiful rocks or trees, meeting some wonderful new friends along the way; whatever strikes me at the moment, I devote time to it.
On long journeys, it is best to go slow and enjoy the trail and be healthy than to cause myself unnecessary pain in my knees and miss all the beauty of the daily path.

No rule of thumb for us. That’s the beauty of it all. It’s your Camino and you do it your way. We stopped whenever the fancy took us. We aimed at 12-15 miles a day if it took 5 hours then fine. If it took 7 or 8, that too was fine. Some people would take ‘days off’! Instead of that, we would walk short days. Perhaps walk only 5-7 miles. It was an easy walk, you kept in your ‘getting up’ in the morning routine and you were always moving forward.

I rarely miss a coffee break but that's if I've already walked at least 2 to 3 hours, especially on solitary Caminos when one never knows if there will be another opportunity, otherwise I don't take dedicated breaks. That's just how I walk but understand that others do otherwise.

I'm at my best when I just keep walking even if that means walking 20+ km without stopping.

Last edited:
I rarely miss a coffee break (or the chance to visit an open church) especially on solitary Caminos when one never knows if there will be another opportunity, otherwise I don't take dedicated breaks. That's just how I walk but understand that others do otherwise. I'm at my best when I just keep walking.
That is very much how I approach my walking. There are some days when everything is just right and the km seem to pass by effortlessly. To break the spell with an artificial schedule of breaks would feel like sacrilege. On days like that I just tend to walk until I run out of light then wonder where the last 40km have gone!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I do my trail walk, which is part of my physical and mental fitness program, I walk fast and hard. When I walk Camino, I'm primary a pilgrim, as such, I try to stop by chapels, churches, shrines, cathedrals. I'm also a casual tourist. I walk and take rest at will.

I haven't done a scientific study, but I it depends on many things. How far do I want to walk and what time did I start? What is the weather and Are there nice places to sit? What do I feel like that day? Is anything hurting? If I'm walking with someone else, do they want to stop? Am I hungry? Is there a big hill up ahead that I should rest for? Is there a big hill up ahead that I would love to finish before my break? I plug all that into the computer that I carry under my hat, and an answer eventually comes out! :cool: 😄

I temper all those questions with the awareness that at the end of the day's stage, my body seems to feel better if I have had rests during the day. (I assume that it is more effective to allow recovery from mild stress than wait until your body is exhausted.) For that reason I generally try to take a break every couple of hours.

P.S. - This is the stuff that we ponder while walking all day!
Exactly. On one camino I discovered the energizing properties of an 11AM cerveza! But I think I may take too long at each stop, so next time, next camino (May 2024!!!) I'm going to pay attention to that.

I hiked the Camino/Primitivo Oct 2023. I typically started looking for a rest stop around 3-4 after starting in the morning. However, there weren’t always facilities. Still would stop and have a snack and rest for a bit. In the afternoon, it was a bit more frequent, probably every 2-3 hours. I walk fast uphill, but not down. So if the downhills were also like rest breaks. Still as others have said, you’ll find your rhythm . Since there aren’t a lot of cafes on the Primitive, I would stop when available for coffee and a pit stop.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I tended to take a break about every two hours for some coffee when walking during the day. I also planned to take a day off from walking one day a week. Of course once I started walking this plan was adjusted relative to where I was and certain places I just wanted to spend an extra day in.

Hi, when we hike with others, I notice that they have varying preferences. Some like to frequently take a one-minute stop to sit, but I'd prefer to just keep going rather than go to the trouble for a short stop. I am in my eighties. We tend to take just a longish lunchbreak (picnic style because we are not on the Frances and not as many places to stop as on the Frances/French Way). However, I tend to take a lot of photos, so that is a stop, but without sitting. Same with water breaks, stop and take a breath. I find it is important when climbing hills to find a pace where you don't have to stop frequently to take a breath. Learned about "Pole, Pole" (slowly, slowly) on Kilimanjaro; it's Swahili. It's works better to find the pace where you can go steadily rather than stopping and starting.

I’m 70, walked the Camino del Norte from Irun in September last year with a regular walking mate and some other friends we met 10 years ago on the Frances. I’m fairly fit but not completely free of ailments! Over the years I’ve learned what’s best for me but I don’t always do it ….. Here it is:
I carry about 9kg, sometimes 10 depending upon water availability. My sweet spot distance-wise is 12-15 miles (19-24 km) per day. I’ve done more but don’t like exceeding 20 miles (32km) per day.
With stops for breakfast, foot rest, photos, lunch, etc, we typically achieve an average of 2mph (3.2 km). Doesn’t sound much I know but it’s consistently what we find we do unless we’re pushing it when we might do 3mph. It does too depend upon the terrain. I’m at my best when I stop roughly every two hours ( hopefully coinciding with a cafe or bar for a con lecce or the occasional beer later on) and take my boots off for 10-15 minutes. I occasionally change my socks whilst resting but not often. The 2 hours rule is good for me and I wish I had the discipline to always do it, but I don’t. If I exceed it I do feel more tired at the end of the day’s walk. I do “listen to” my feet though and if I start to develop a hot spot or get a bit sore, I normally stop and give them a break and some TLC. The other thing I belatedly learned is the importance of getting enough balanced nourishment particularly now I’m a bit older. If you don’t eat well the night before you walk, make sure you eat a good breakfast early on, ideally before you start. I stupidly didn’t do either on the first day out of Irun and unusually for me, really lost power about halfway that day. Learnt another lesson ….

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Do you have a rule of thumb on 10 minutes.
10 minutes every hour.

The Camino was quite busy when I hiked it. So, I pushed myself a little bit more when I didn't have a bed booked. I did complete the whole camino from St Jean in 30 days.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Hi I personally like to take 15 mins every 2 hrs and if there is a prolonged steep section ahead take a 20 mins stop water up well and pop some electrolytes in water

Breaks have many benefits but the art of taking breaks can become a marital issue when you and your parter (or other companions) don’t pace the same way. My wife, for example, will happily just keep walking forever, without a break or complaint. So we norm that we will take a break for 5 minutes, hourly. I don’t have to humiliate myself by begging her to stop. Then we flex the interval and duration according to need and whim. This works with friends who have been intimidated, in the past, by our walking speed ( nicknamed once the “Oregon express”) and were anxious whether they would get a rest. And it works like a charm hiking with children and takes their mind off of “how far? The art of actually taking the break has been well covered in this thread; shoes off etc. I also carry a foam sit pad, and a body length of Tyvek. Both weigh little and give generously.

Breaks have many benefits but the art of taking breaks can become a marital issue when you and your parter (or other companions) don’t pace the same way
This is why it's important before you start to decide if you will be joined at the hip with your walking partner(s) or if you will walk independently at times and meet up for lunch or at the end of the day.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I think I read somewhere - possibly on this forum - that muscles always need recovery time. So for a long multi day Camino it’s important to give the body opportunities to rest and repair - even if you might not feel a particular need to do so.
I tend to stop - and therefore rest - a lot because I love sitting quietly in nature and connecting to country.
If that is not something that comes naturally to you, you might try taking a 5-10 minute break every couple of hours.
Experiment and see what works best.
‘Pushing’ yourself is probably counterproductive if you are planning to walk every day for a month or more.

My wife and I walk a lot.
Depends what you mean by a lot. 30 km a day, day after day, would be a lot for most of us, 5 km is nothing, 25km a day is average. Pushing yourself isn´t necessarily a good strategy when what you need is stamina. If you are exerting yourself enough to get tired, you are overdoing it. The secret to long distance is to never get tired and avoid drawing down on your body´s reserves. Resting after two hours, even if you don´t feel like it, does no harm. You can also take your shoes and socks off to air them. This will help prevent blisters. If a café happens to appear after two hours then a good shot of caffeine doesn´t go amiss either. Remember that it is the distance that matters, not the time.

€46,-
All depends on what we each feel and/or need. I rarely stop for a rest (unless it is a very steep climb) and tend to walk 30 to 40 kms a day. However, that is just what i feel comfortable doing. I doubt there is a fixed right or wrong way.

Hi, when we hike with others, I notice that they have varying preferences. Some like to frequently take a one-minute stop to sit, but I'd prefer to just keep going rather than go to the trouble for a short stop. I am in my eighties. We tend to take just a longish lunchbreak (picnic style because we are not on the Frances and not as many places to stop as on the Frances/French Way). However, I tend to take a lot of photos, so that is a stop, but without sitting. Same with water breaks, stop and take a breath. I find it is important when climbing hills to find a pace where you don't have to stop frequently to take a breath. Learned about "Pole, Pole" (slowly, slowly) on Kilimanjaro; it's Swahili. It's works better to find the pace where you can go steadily rather than stopping and starting.
When tackling serious elevation my pace is step-pause-step. I prefer to just keep going.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I thought about one on the VdlP last year.
Otherwise known as an 'ass pad' I think :rolleyes:
I even bought three different ones!
Never took one and glad I didn't.

Just unnecessary added weight I think.
All those 'little' things add up.
There is usually somewhere to sit.
And if worried about sitting on wet/damp surfaces maybe take a piece of bubble wrap or similar ultralight material.?

I thought about one on the VdlP last year.
Otherwise known as an 'ass pad' I think :rolleyes:
I even bought three different ones!
Never took one and glad I didn't.

Just unnecessary added weight I think.
All those 'little' things add up.
There is usually somewhere to sit.
And if worried about sitting on wet/damp surfaces maybe take a piece of bubble wrap or similar ultralight material.?

Funny how different our needs are! Even when I don't camp, I always bring the mat, and I use it. Even on day hikes.

Especially if you walk in the colder season, it works well to put it on a wet/slimy with algae/covered in snow bench to sit on. The mat is also long enough for a second person to sit, or put the backpack on it.

It's also my picnic blanket and my "bench" when there isn't one.

Feet hurt? Need to rest? I lie down, and elevate my feet (on top of backpack) for a while. Take a nap even. Under a nice tree, next to a river... whereever and whenever I like to.

I use a shortened, foldable z-lite that weighs very little (300g). Have also used one of those very thin silver-foil/foam ones, which are even lighter, but not as comfortable.

Is it really needed? No.

You could also use a poncho as a blanket (but not when it's already raining and it's not really comfortable or warm on really cold days to sit on a poncho in the snow or mud).

Also, yes of course, on the Francés there are countless spots for sitting down (picnic areas, cafés). So, certainly no "need" for it.

But for me, it is still part of my essential gear. Makes me a bit more independent when it comes to stopping to rest for a while. No need to wait for the next bar or next bench...

I guess having walked a few other Caminos where there were often no cafés, picnic areas ect. within 10-20kms, I like to be a bit more flexible when it comes to this.

Most people would say "rest when you need to". But then there's no bench or no open café for the next 5 or 10km and what do people do...? They continue walking despite being tired, despite feeling that blister forming, despite that beginning pain in their knee... I prefer to just sit down to rest and have my second breakfast or lunch whenever I want to 🙂.

Also, I'd be happy to sleep in any overflow or under a church porch during busy times. With the z-lite and the sleeping bag, I always have my bed in my backpack.

I make up for this "unnecessary weight" by not bringing stuff many others need, but I don't (like powerbanks). My complete toiletries kit only weighs 130-150g including towel. ect.

I guess you could call the mat a "comfort" item? I heard others bring rice cookers... 😂

But for me, it is still part of my essential gear. Makes me a bit more independent when it comes to stopping to rest for a while. No need to wait for the next bar or next bench...

I guess having walked a few other Caminos where there were often no cafés, picnic areas ect. within 10-20kms, I like to be a bit more flexible when it comes to this.

Most people would say "rest when you need to". But then there's no bench or no open café for the next 5 or 10km and what do people do...? They continue walking despite being tired, despite feeling that blister forming, despite that beginning pain in their knee... I prefer to just sit down to rest and have my second breakfast or lunch whenever I want to 🙂.

Yes, I totally get that.
I found on the VdlP my legs would get tired.
As most days, there were few places to stop / sit, I tended to be on my feet all day.
And given my age, health, stiff joints etc,
getting up and down to sit on the ground was not worth the effort! :rolleyes:

So I would look for rocks, earth banks and............
those amazing metal or stone cube camino markers that are ideal to sit on! :)

1707459520272.png

Drainage culverts are also a great seat!
It gives you a place to dangle your legs, whilst sitting on the path......
For those whose legs don't cross anymore!!
(sitting cross legged on the ground was never something my body mastered)

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, I totally get that.
I found on the VdlP my legs would get tired.
As most days, there were few places to stop / sit, I tended to be on my feet all day.
And given my age, health, stiff joints etc,
getting up and down to sit on the ground was not worth the effort! :rolleyes:

So I would look for rocks, earth banks and............
those amazing metal or stone cube camino markers that are ideal to sit on! :)

View attachment 163716

Drainage culverts are also a great seat!
It gives you a place to dangle your legs, whilst sitting on the path......

Yes, those are perfect for sitting for a minute or two 🙂.

But now I am trying to imagine how I could possibly lie comfortably on that waymarker for a nap 😂 I guess that would need some serious circus acrobatics training!

Sorry for getting off topic. Couldn't resist, but I'll stop now.

Break-wise what wound up working for me while on Camino was this:
Provided roughly 6:00-6:30am departure from albergue, walk for about 10-12 km (hopefully 2.5 hrs or so) and stop to get Desayuno numero uno... rest
Walk 5km or so and stop for Desayuno numero duo...rest
Walk another 5...and hopefully I'm at my next albergue....if not then repeat as needed
That does not take into account stops to take photos or simply marvel at the views...I would not consider them to be "rest stops "

All in all this could get me to next albergue by 1:00-2:00pm just in time to check in

Some form of breakfast and fluid load up. Inevitably after an hour or so I am looking for a tree to duck behind. If I come across a village with a bar, the rule is to stop and have a coffee. But on routes like the VDLP/Levante there aren't that many en route bars until your destination. I'm always taking photos so although I walk fast and am otherwise a hare, the tortoises will keep up.

Yes we stop every 5km or one hour, eat snack and walk on after 10 minutes. We learnt this from Norwegian mountain guide. It works for us!

The friend with whom I first walked followed a 1 hour walk: 10 minutes rest regime, so I did too. Sometimes those breaks coincided with a coffee, orange juice or tortilla stop and were rather longer. After she had to go home I stopped taking such regular breaks, but after a few days found myself getting rather weary. So reverted to her system which definitely helped.

Now the trouble with being an solo old lady sitting by the side of the Camino is that people think you're unwell or in some sort of trouble. After explaining numerous times that I was just taking a planned break and was fine, I tried to take my regular breaks at places where there was a bench or a view, so it didn't look as if I'd just "broken down".

The kindness and solicitude shown by fellow pilgrims was immensely heartening, and means that I've had no qualms at all about walking solo since.

I schedule rest days or very short days (10-12km) to have time in interesting towns/cities but roughly every 10-14 days. I usually stay in a private room those days. Regenerates my energy and motivation.

I stop for photos and at bars or restaurants. So on begin of the Via de la Plata not so often, with an average of 6km per hour.

I don’t they are necessary; but they are certainly nice to have.

Many hikers save and carry Amazon bubble wrap packages. Those are lightweight and about the right size for most people. And if you find they are more trouble than they are worth, they are disposable.

My wife and I use 18” x 18” waxed cotton sit mats that we purchased from Hanley Goods (via Etsy). They provide insulation and are a nice ‘luxury item’ that we enjoy using. See generally the following video (not mine).

Brown’s Bushcraft is another small business that makes and sells very similar mats.

Last edited:
I don’t they are necessary; but they are certainly nice to have.

Many hikers save and carry Amazon bubble wrap packages. Those are lightweight and about the right size for most people. And if you find they are more trouble than they are worth, they are disposable.

My wife and I use 18” x 18” waxed cotton sit mats that we purchased from Hanley Goods (via Etsy). They provide insulation and are a nice ‘luxury item’ that we enjoy using. See generally the following video (not mine).

Brown’s Bushcraft is another small business that makes and sells very similar mats.

As a Brownie in girl scouts in the 60's we made a "sit upon" out if vinyl sheeting with newspaper folded inside. We punched holes in the perimeter and laced it shut with yarn. Mine was a mustard yellow with brown yarn. Too heavy for my pack now, but it made several girl scout outings in the 60's and 70's. Now I just sit on my pack when needed.

To the original question:

As many have posted, I also go by time walked, not by distance. I usually actually walk about 6 hours, then call it a day.
How far I get in those six hours depends on many factors already noted in this thread - terrain, weather, personal conditions, sights along the way (!), etc. I do not have a regular schedule for stopping during the day - I stop when the mood hits, then continue.
Pay attention to your body - if your feet tell you to stop for the day after a measly three hours, stop. Be especially cautious walking with another person - the Camino is a whole 'nother beast from other hikes. Feel free to walk separately as needed (agree on this ahead of time).
IMHO, there is much to see and learn from walking the Camino. Do not push yourself or your partner "hard." You may miss some of the best reasons for being a pilgrim.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The friend with whom I first walked followed a 1 hour walk: 10 minutes rest regime, so I did too. Sometimes those breaks coincided with a coffee, orange juice or tortilla stop and were rather longer. After she had to go home I stopped taking such regular breaks, but after a few days found myself getting rather weary. So reverted to her system which definitely helped.

Now the trouble with being an solo old lady sitting by the side of the Camino is that people think you're unwell or in some sort of trouble. After explaining numerous times that I was just taking a planned break and was fine, I tried to take my regular breaks at places where there was a bench or a view, so it didn't look as if I'd just "broken down".

The kindness and solicitude shown by fellow pilgrims was immensely heartening, and means that I've had no qualms at all about walking solo since.
The good part of being passed by fellow pilgrims who kindly ask if you are OK, then run into you again and again in the same albergues, is that, eventually, they realize that you are, in fact, one tough cookie.

€46,-
The following is a suggestion so you do end up in the Hospital :
1-plan the total amount of a daily walk - between 15- 20 km. (Based on the fitness of the weakest member).
2-plan also so that you are reaching a town at a decent time to rest , go to mass, and have supper.
3-take a 5-min rest every hour you walk
4- enjoy the experience it is a community of travelers and the grace of god if your pilgrimage has an element of faith.
5- I use this on my travels from Jet Jean Pied de Port to Sarria. Then since I overdid it had to stop.
On my first Camino which my brother and I completed in 30 days, we managed 3 sit-down rest periods every 8km, one of them being lunch. No major feet problems at all, despite my 72 years on this earth's feet!
PS. From today, 73!🇳🇿😎

Last edited:

Hardly ever take breaks--I am short and stride is tiny and many old injuries have come back to haunt me. If I stopped for more than a few minutes to eat, I'd still be walking after sundown!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As a Brownie in girl scouts in the 60's we made a "sit upon" out if vinyl sheeting with newspaper folded inside. We punched holes in the perimeter and laced it shut with yarn. Mine was a mustard yellow with brown yarn. Too heavy for my pack now, but it made several girl scout outings in the 60's and 70's. Now I just sit on my pack when needed.
Ha! Sit up-on's. Me too! Made them exactly the way you described.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.