• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do you count your caminos?

Time of past OR future Camino
See signature.
I know the question kinda sucks. So earlier this year, on the VDLP, I had a discussion with a Spaniard. We talked about his walking experience. He told me he's walked like 4 caminos but it drives him nuts, sometimes, when he talks to other people, and they claim 5, all from Sarria.

I personally only count the longer ones. Nah, Finesterre or Muxia don't count. Neither does the San Salvador. I do have this one, when I was younger, from SJPdP to Leon... no compostella, do I count that? It's either 18 or 19 now for the next one... like a milestone maybe.

As I write this I already know the answer. If you count your caminos you are missing the point.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I know the question kinda sucks. So earlier this year, on the VDLP, I had a discussion with a Spaniard. We talked about his walking experience. He told me he's walked like 4 caminos but it drives him nuts, sometimes, when he talks to other people, and they claim 5, all from Sarria.

I personally only count the longer ones. Nah, Finesterre or Muxia don't count. Neither does the San Salvador. I do have this one, when I was younger, from SJPdP to Leon... no compostella, do I count that? It's either 18 or 19 now for the next one... like a milestone maybe.

As I write this I already know the answer. If you count your caminos you are missing the point.

Yes, I think your last point is a good one.
Some people love to count them like notches on their gun!
But what counts? Is walking 800 kms on the Frances, 200 kms each year 1 camino or 4?
Is walking 'only' from Sarria a Camino? Of course it is. In my view at least :rolleyes:

This year I walked the VdlP from Seville to Astorga, then on the Frances to Ponferrada, then onto the Invierno to Santiago, then on to Fisterra and Muxia. All in one go.
Is that one Camino or three and a bit? Who cares :)

I think if you somehow want to keep a 'tally' the more logical thing would be to count kms or days on the path.......

For me the number of Caminos I have walked, is still.... not quite enough. ;)

Last edited:
But what counts? Is walking 800 kms on the Frances, 200 kms each year 1 camino or 4?
Is walking 'only' from Sarria a Camino? Of course it is. In my view at least :rolleyes:

This year I walked the VdlP from Seville to Astorga, then on the Frances to Ponferrada, then onto the Invierno to Santiago, then on to Fisterra and Muxia. All in one go.

I think if you somehow want to keep a 'tally' the more logical thing would be to count kms or days on the path.......

For me the number of Caminos I have walked, is still' not quite enough. ;)
You get it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’ll bite.

Is the VDLP a Camino as it doesn’t end in Santiago?
An interesting question. I tend to think of the pilgrimages that I have undertaken, some of them on the Camino de Santiago, but many elsewhere. I have never thought of those that didn't end in Santiago as any less than those that have.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is such futile excercise to count your caminos, I find. Numbers are such teasers.....I will rather try out some of caminos there is to walk in Spain and Portugal, and make That a project...one down , more to go....

1694073489746.png

If you follow the official rules, than any walk that leads to a Compostela, is countable.
Than Tui to SdC and Sarria to SdC by foot is a valid count.

I walked the CF from SJPdP to SdC in 2019 and Porto to SdC this July and counting 2 Caminos.
It is our own decision to walk longer distances, than necessary ;)

BC

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think of it as walking on the Camino rather than a Camino to Santiago. I've only arrived in Santiago twice, but I have walked stretches of Caminos almost every year. I posted a thread about this a year or two ago wondering if I should consider myself a pilgrim if I am only walking to my hospitalero assignment or away after knowing I wouldn't be going clear through to Santiago. Still no clear personal answer for me.

I think of it as walking on the Camino rather than a Camino to Santiago. I've only arrived in Santiago twice, but I have walked stretches of Caminos almost every year. I posted a thread about this a year or two ago wondering if I should consider myself a pilgrim if I am only walking to my hospitalero assignment or away after knowing I wouldn't be going clear through to Santiago. Still no clear personal answer for me.
You are a pilgrim … hospitalero’s are super pilgrims !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you follow the official rules, than any walk that leads to a Compostela, is countable.
Than Tui to SdC and Sarria to SdC by foot is a valid count.

I walked the CF from SJPdP to SdC in 2019 and Porto to SdC this July and counting 2 Caminos.
It is our own decision to walk longer distances, than necessary ;)

BC

If I understand you there’s never a Compostela for the VDLP in itself as you have to connect to another route.

It’s a bit of a disappointment as I’ve just completed it and the Sanabres. Off to the Pilgrim Office to ask!

If I understand you there’s never a Compostela for the VDLP in itself as you have to connect to another route.

It’s a bit of a disappointment as I’ve just completed it and the Sanabres. Off to the Pilgrim Office to ask!
The VdlP connects via the Sanabres OR the CF, so it counts. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Every backpacking trip that I have done since the age of 5 is a camino. I have only done 3 Pilgrimages, and those began at a point along a route recognized by the Church as an official route into Santiago de Compostela while following their rules.

I personally think a short Camino is still a Camino. So someone who has walked the Ingles has walked a Camino, as has someone who has walked the Frances from Sarria or the Portugues from Tui or the Primitivo from Lugo. I don't think there is a magic distance that qualifies something as a "Camino".

I tend to count Caminos separate from Camino routes. So if someone asks how many Caminos I've done I will say 4: 1989, 2016, 2018, and 2023. Each was its own continuous pilgrimage. If someone says how many Camino routes have I walked I will say 6: Frances, Portugues (from Porto), Madrid, San Salvador, Primitivo, Finisterre/Muxia.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used to be competitive when I was young. I’m now of the age where I’ve stopped counting what I’ve done and am simply grateful for the opportunity to do more.
Indeed. The reflection part of my Caminos is what is important to me now. I have truly absorbed and cherish the concept of "The Way is the goal". And being older, this is becoming increasingly important. Looking forward to possibly setting out again from Pamplona in 1 1/2 weeks time. No ticket booked yet, but the plan is on the table. Flexibility as a retired man is a blessing.

But that is me.

Life is one long Camino for me .
Sometimes on Spanish roads. More often at home.So I do not count them anymore. A walk to a local roadsidechapel can feel more intentional than a longer pilgrimage.
Albergues can come in different disguises and forms.

So, I like to start sentences with so. It is like friendly... chatty.
Forgive this ancient pedant... here is a link I haven't studied, but it maybe adds a little to my 75 plus years of exposure to Scottish variant of the English language.
If you are not interested, stop right here!
When I was learning the rules, it meant something equivalent to therefore. That is therefore 😈 why I find it odd to begin a sentence or phrase with it. I do understand that technology has wreaked - and a new acceptance on my part of this form of the verb! - havoc with old fashioned pen scripted language.
An interesting thing, for me is that I doubt more than I did when I was a schoolchild, because our tuition was absolutely A1.
National prejudice?
Ignorant opinion?
I rather like to think that we did have a superb curriculum and teacher programme in my days, post war Scotland, Central Belt.
Now be thankful, I have to stop! And I agree, it is nice and chatty! 😇😁

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So; an introduction of a pause in a debate or exchange of views prior to an exposition of a consensus (or a provocation of several hours more debate).

Hmm; the Tinker equivalent. Means I've heard what you've said and I think you'd be useless even under a Donkey's tail. But lets continue this discussion as soon as you've got a round in...

Forgive this ancient pedant... here is a link I haven't studied, but it maybe adds a little to my 75 plus years of exposure to Scottish variant of the English language.
If you are not interested, stop right here!
When I was learning the rules, it meant something equivalent to therefore. That is therefore 😈 why I find it odd to begin a sentence or phrase with it. I do understand that technology has wreaked - and a new acceptance on my part of this form of the verb! - havoc with old fashioned pen scripted language.
An interesting thing, for me is that I doubt more than I did when I was a schoolchild, because our tuition was absolutely A1.
National prejudice?
Ignorant opinion?
I rather like to think that we did have a superb curriculum and teacher programme in my days, post war Scotland, Central Belt.
Now be thankful, I have to stop! And I agree, it is nice and chatty! 😇😁
I see it as interchangeable with the word "Well" when starting a sentence. It invites in an audience and discussion - very friendly, like Damien writes! Sorry to follow off topic!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I see it as interchangeable with the word "Well" when starting a sentence. It invites in an audience and discussion - very friendly, like Damien writes! Sorry to follow off topic!

As a non native English speaker I find these articles very interesting!
I notice that I often begin a sentence here on the forum with " indeed " ;) .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I tend to count Caminos separate from Camino routes. So if someone asks how many Caminos I've done I will say 4: 1989, 2016, 2018, and 2023. Each was its own continuous pilgrimage. If someone says how many Camino routes have I walked I will say 6: Frances, Portugues (from Porto), Madrid, San Salvador, Primitivo, Finisterre/Muxia.
I do the same. Although if I had had enough time to walk the Inglés this year after reaching Santiago on the Norte and Primitivo I may have counted it as another Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't share how many Caminos I've walked unless someone asks. I do personally keep tabs on the number I have walked cuz it makes me feel good🙂, and I always look forward to adding another one...if it's considered to be a notch in my belt, it's ok by me.

Edit- I spend a month to six weeks walking at a time when I go overseas, so consider each time I choose a Camino route it is full for me. Example- I walked the Via Podiensis for a month from Le Puy as far as Auvillar...I considered that "full enough" for me, yet I did not go all the way to SJPdP. It's definitely subjective and different for each person on how they want to "cut that pie".

Last edited:
I don't share how many Caminos I've walked unless someone asks.
Me too. I've just returned home from a short walk from SJPDP to Logroño. The question about having walked at other times or on other Caminos came up occasionally in conversations. After the first few times I was very reluctant to reply as my answer tended to either kill the conversation immediately or lead people to assume wrongly that I was an expert on the Caminos who could answer all their queries.

The question about having walked at other times or on other Caminos came up occasionally in conversations. After the first few times I was very reluctant to reply as my answer tended to either kill the conversation immediately or lead people to assume wrongly that I was an expert on the Caminos who could answer all their queries

It's a bit of a fine line. I don't want to act as if I'm a total newbie to the Camino because that would be disingenuous of me, but I don't want to come across as bragging or a know-it-all. When people ask, I just say that yes, I've walked other Caminos. And I'm happy to share any helpful information that I have.

I have met a number of pilgrims who have patches of every Camino, and one woman this year actually made a kind of banner with patches which she attached to her backpack, almost like a superhero cape.

So, is it possible to count how many times a forum thread de-rails?
Is there such a thing?
"If so" ( A new start???) how do we count them?

Tough question; the metrics are squishy and compostela do not mean that much to me after the first. And I have done the 3 main French routes but ended in Santiago only on one from LePuy. I'd prefer to measure my joy of walking, and that is easiest by just counting the accumulated days for the various routes. I was hoping to make it to a full year of 365 days, but age and the beginning of health problems looks like that will not be possible. Nevertheless, the pilgrimage routes have given me much joy and more than a handful of friends over the last 15 years.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

In terms of arriving 'somewhere', whilst Santiago is a great end point, I have arrived there 4 times and never felt completion / closure. I'm not sure I'll necessarily plan to 'end' there any more.

This year I tried Fisterra as an end point, and that didn't do it for me either.
Though I loved the final walk along the beach.

So I walked on to Muxia.

And as I have found once before...............THAT is a fitting end point.
Sitting on the rocks at sunset, it just felt..........right.

I pondered why I felt that. Because it seems odd.
The only thing I could come up with was that Santiago (the Cathedral) and Fisterra (the Lighthouse) had man made features at the centre of the destination point.

Whereas Muxia, was 'raw'. Just the rocks, the ocean, and the setting sun.

But as to the original question of what 'counts' as a Camino?
I'm not sure there is an answer.
Wherever you start and wherever you finish, you 'feel' if it was a Camino for you or not. ;)

Perhaps it's about the journey, of whatever length, rather than the destination. :rolleyes:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Camino history: CF: SJPdP-Fisterra 7/10, VdlP: Sevilla-Zamora 7/11, Hospitalera Grañón + CF: Burgos-Bercianos 7/12, Pelgrimspad I: 2012/13, Hospitalera El Burgo Ranero + Sanabrés: Zamora-Muxia/Fisterra 7/13, CF: Sarria-SdC 12/13. VdlP: Sevilla-Salamanca 2/14. Levante: Valencia-Toledo: 6-7/14. Mozárabe: Granada-Mérida 9-10/14. VdlP: Salamanca-SdC 10/14. Hospitalera Ponferrada + Levante: Toledo-Zamora 4/15. Camí Sant Jaume via Huesca, Aragonés, Sanabrés: A Gudiña-Finisterre + Hospitalera Nájera 6-7/15. Norte: Irún-Portugalete 10/15. Rota Vicentina + Caminho Portugês Central: Porto-Tui: 3/2016. Norte: Portugalete-Ribadesella + VdlP: Sevilla-Mérida 6/2016. Norte: Santillana del Mar-Gijón 10/16. Norte: Gijón-Finisterre 6/17, Caminho Portugês da Costa 7/17, Inglés 7/17, CF: Burgos-Sarria 12/17-1/18. Camino de Madrid + CF: Sahagun - Santiago 6/18. CF: SJPdP - SdC 10-11/18. Hospitalera Ponferrada 1/2019. Lana: Alicante-Cuenca 4/19. Primitivo 4/19. Norte: Bilbao-Gijón+CF: León -SdC 5-6/19. Hospitalera/Owner Albergue Villares de Orbigo 2020. San Salvador+Primitivo 6/21. Via Podiensis Le Puy-en-Veley - Conques 9/21. Norte: Bilbao-SdC 7/22. Olvidado+Invierno 6-7/23.

Now that's scary. Have you ever considered just walking down to the Chemists? ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For me personally, a Camino is whenever I set out to walk for several days or weeks on a continuous route towards Santiago de Compostela and/or its extension to Finisterre.

A walk towards Rome or Jerusalem (neither of which I have done) I might call a pilgrimage, but not a camino. The word camino for me is linked inseparably to Santiago de Compostela.
But that's just me.

Instead of counting caminos, one could also say "I've walked a total of xxx km or xxx days on camino routes." Or on "pilgrimage routes", if one wanted to include the Via Francigena or the like.

If you count your caminos you are missing the point.
Ah, thank you, I now have an answer. I am often asked how many caminos I have walked, and I have no idea, so I never know what to say . . . a month here, a week there, 3 days once from Astorga to Ponferrada – does that count as a camino same as the 10 weeks from Le Puy en Velay to Santiago? . . . was the Camino de Madrid – Salvador – Primitivo one camino or three? . . . so I just say “quite a few”. Not good enough, they want a straight, short answer . . . 3 caminos, 4 caminos, 5 caminos, WHAT . . . ? Now I know what to reply:

I like it. Except they won’t understand it if they haven’t walked a few themselves . . .

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ah, thank you, I now have an answer. I am often asked how many caminos I have walked, and I have no idea, so I never know what to say . . . a month here, a week there, 3 days once from Astorga to Ponferrada – does that count as a camino same as the 10 weeks from Le Puy en Velay to Santiago? . . . was the Camino de Madrid – Salvador – Primitivo one camino or three? . . . so I just say “quite a few”. Not good enough, they want a straight, short answer . . . 3 caminos, 4 caminos, 5 caminos, WHAT . . . ? Now I know what to reply:

I like it. Except they won’t understand it if they haven’t walked a few themselves . . .
So like be friendly. too. I mean, sometimes people actually like to know someone has done it before. When they are your friends.

Camino history: CF: SJPdP-Fisterra 7/10, VdlP: Sevilla-Zamora 7/11, Hospitalera Grañón + CF: Burgos-Bercianos 7/12, Pelgrimspad I: 2012/13, Hospitalera El Burgo Ranero + Sanabrés: Zamora-Muxia/Fisterra 7/13, CF: Sarria-SdC 12/13. VdlP: Sevilla-Salamanca 2/14. Levante: Valencia-Toledo: 6-7/14. Mozárabe: Granada-Mérida 9-10/14. VdlP: Salamanca-SdC 10/14. Hospitalera Ponferrada + Levante: Toledo-Zamora 4/15. Camí Sant Jaume via Huesca, Aragonés, Sanabrés: A Gudiña-Finisterre + Hospitalera Nájera 6-7/15. Norte: Irún-Portugalete 10/15. Rota Vicentina + Caminho Portugês Central: Porto-Tui: 3/2016. Norte: Portugalete-Ribadesella + VdlP: Sevilla-Mérida 6/2016. Norte: Santillana del Mar-Gijón 10/16. Norte: Gijón-Finisterre 6/17, Caminho Portugês da Costa 7/17, Inglés 7/17, CF: Burgos-Sarria 12/17-1/18. Camino de Madrid + CF: Sahagun - Santiago 6/18. CF: SJPdP - SdC 10-11/18. Hospitalera Ponferrada 1/2019. Lana: Alicante-Cuenca 4/19. Primitivo 4/19. Norte: Bilbao-Gijón+CF: León -SdC 5-6/19. Hospitalera/Owner Albergue Villares de Orbigo 2020. San Salvador+Primitivo 6/21. Via Podiensis Le Puy-en-Veley - Conques 9/21. Norte: Bilbao-SdC 7/22. Olvidado+Invierno 6-7/23.

Now that's scary. Have you ever considered just walking down to the Chemists? ;)
Wow! Amazing!! And thank you for all your service. I wonder if you giving this reply to all who asked would make anyone hesitate before asking the question again. 😄
I'm sure I'm guilty of having asked other pilgrims how many or what other Caminos they may have walked, or if this is their first, but I think I'm just asking to make conversation, to find connection points, gain a sense of their interests/ experience without being too personal. After all, it seems to be a rare pilgrim who doesn't want to talk about the Camino (although maybe that's just when they get home).
Counting steps, km, pilgrimages, kilojoules..... Pointless? Some people are stats people & just enjoy counting.
However, I'm reminded of the saying: Don't count the moments, make each moment count. 😊

It’s a great album but the only literary reference I can find is Claire Fuller’s eponymous novel published in 2015, eleven years after Sam Beam’s Iron & Wine release. I think Sam can claim authorial rights. A really bloody good song too.
Sorry, what was the question? Ah, yes, counting. I hope no one’s counting. I’m just on the road. I wasn’t looking for a prize

€149,-
Wow! Amazing!! And thank you for all your service. I wonder if you giving this reply to all who asked would make anyone hesitate before asking the question again. 😄
I'm sure I'm guilty of having asked other pilgrims how many or what other Caminos they may have walked, or if this is their first, but I think I'm just asking to make conversation, to find connection points, gain a sense of their interests/ experience without being too personal. After all, it seems to be a rare pilgrim who doesn't want to talk about the Camino (although maybe that's just when they get home).
Counting steps, km, pilgrimages, kilojoules..... Pointless? Some people are stats people & just enjoy counting.
However, I'm reminded of the saying: Don't count the moments, make each moment count. 😊
That's not @Tincatinker's camino history, it's @LTfit's. @Tincatinker's is:

Frances (2012); Muxia / Fisterra (2012); Ingles / Fisterra (2013) Ditch Pig (2013); Del Salvador / Primitivo, Ditch Pig (2014); Ditch Pig (2015); Caminos Vasco del Interior / Frances / Del Salvador / Primitivo / Camino Verde / Norte (2017). Invierno (part), Frances (part) (2018); Ditch Pig (2019). Ditch Pig (UK) (2020). Thames Path; Cuckmere Pilgrim Path; Ditch Pig(UK) (2021) 🇺🇦 (2022) Malaga, Granada, Antequera, Cordoba, Seville, Jerez, Sanlucar, Cadiz (2022). Malaga, Sevilla, El Rocio (2023)
which is pretty impressive too.

While perhaps those of us who have done a few pilgrimages have little or no interest in the number, I think that it is a useful way of others getting some appreciation of whether we have credibility when we are offering advice. Were I to attempt to pass myself off as someone who might offer authoritative advice on walking a winter camino, my signature would immediately give away that I haven't walked in winter. Any advice I might give on the matter would be based on any winter walking I have done elsewhere, but it wouldn't carry that same ring of authenticity of having done that on a camino route on the Iberian peninsula.

More, it doesn't make the advice of someone who has only done one or a small number of caminos any less valid if they have walked a particular camino route at similar times to when someone who is enquiring about some matter is planning to undertake their camino. They clearly should know something about that.

Of course, there is no compulsion to include that information in one's signature, nor even reveal what years one has walked. All that is entirely optional, and members making the choice not to include it is perfectly fine.

It’s a great album but the only literary reference I can find is Claire Fuller’s eponymous novel published in 2015, eleven years after Sam Beam’s Iron & Wine release. I think Sam can claim authorial rights. A really bloody good song too.
Sorry, what was the question? Ah, yes, counting. I hope no one’s counting. I’m just on the road. I wasn’t looking for a prize
You're correct, Tincatinker. I was confusing /mashing up another phrase from memory: Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom. Psalm 90:12. I guess I always thought that must have been an inspiration. Definitely a nuanced message through the music! In any case, sorry again to stray off topic.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

When you come from along way off - each time you board that 27 hour flight to Spain you’re going on a Camino. What part who cares?
It would be entirely different coming from Spain.

@HappyValerie, the truth be told, @Tincatinker was quoting my signature 😀🙃.

Years back I saw someone's Forum signature with the names of the Caminos done. Another Forum member asked for dates, that's how this whole list began. I must admit that the list has gotten out of hand but that's what happens when you walk every year and during some years 2 or 3 times plus volunteer.

A couple of years ago I did count the amount of km walked along Camino routes just for fun. It was then about 10,000 km. Many Spanish comment that I know Spain better than they do, not hard when almost all your vacations are spent walking about 😂

For me the number of Caminos I have walked, is still.... not quite enough. ;)
@HappyValerie, the truth be told, @Tincatinker was quoting my signature 😀🙃.

Years back I saw someone's Forum signature with the names of the Caminos done. Another Forum member asked for dates, that's how this whole list began. I must admit that the list has gotten out of hand but that's what happens when you walk every year and during some years 2 or 3 times plus volunteer.

A couple of years ago I did count the amount of km walked along Camino routes just for fun. It was then about 10,000 km. Many Spanish comment that I know Spain better than they do, not hard when almost all your vacations are spent walking about 😂
Hi Robo, last we saw of you was at a great meal in Salamanca with Ted & Linda…and I’m still hankering for another walk, maybe the Camino Madrid.

Hi Robo, last we saw of you was at a great meal in Salamanca with Ted & Linda…and I’m still hankering for another walk, maybe the Camino Madrid.

Wasn't Salamanca great!

Yes, I'm looking at the Madrid too.

Next year might be a bit of the Le Puy with my wife Pat.

As you said, I do not really count, but in the sense of the phrase which caminos "do count" for me, then it is the longer ones and each of them basically would count once. If I would walk the Francés 3 times, it would still count as one camino, which however I enjoyed three times ... does this make sense? ;-)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you're walking to provide service to other pilgrims I'd say that makes you as much of a pilgrim as anyone.

As you said, I do not really count, but in the sense of the phrase which caminos "do count" for me, then it is the longer ones and each of them basically would count once. If I would walk the Francés 3 times, it would still count as one camino, which however I enjoyed three times ... does this make sense? ;-)
It's not how I would do it, but I don't have any difficulty if that is how you want to do you own counting. Other than for reasons I have already explained, it's not the count that is as important as the experience.

Last edited:

€149,-
How do you count your caminos?
In English. One, two, three.
It would be cheating any other way.
🙃
If I would walk the Francés 3 times, it would still count as one camino, which however I enjoyed three times ... does this make sense? ;-)
Haha, not really, but whatever so long as it makes sense to you.

In English. One, two, three.
It would be cheating any other way.
🙃

Haha, not really, but whatever so long as it makes sense to you.
Of course it makes sense ... to me ;-) .. nah, I guess I was referring to doing the same Camino twice is very enjoyable but then I cannot tick off one more of those Caminos on my really-want-to-do-them list. My counting refers to a bucket list in that sense.

On one camino, I had stopped at a stand for a snack and I started talking with a gentleman. He asked how many camino's I had walked, and I said 3. I was then curious how many he had done and so I asked him. He replied with a response that blew me away, he said 28! I did not get the impression that he was bragging. He indicated that he walked every year. I am not sure how long he had walked each year, but even if it was a week, he certainly had a great deal of experience. I was quite envious of his ability to walk every year.

I was then curious how many he had done and so I asked him. He replied with a response that blew me away, he said 28!

The 88 temple pilgrimage circuit on Shikoku is about 1200km long. Shortly before Temple 88 there is a small museum of the pilgrimage. I saw this photo of a pilgrim and its caption in one of the glass cases.

shikoku-museum2.jpg
shikoku-museum1.jpg

I count my major foot pilgrimages -- including one extremely short one here locally during a Holy Year ; and it was tough, because I still hadn't learned how to live with my disability yet.
I personally only count the longer ones.
A foot pilgrimage isn't defined by distances.

I don't personally count the yearly May 1st foot pilgrimage up to La Turbie, when I'm strong enough to do it, but I do count that not much longer one because of the Holy Year.

As to my own "longer" ones, they're 1,800K ; 2,000K ; 5,000K. So discount the "shorter" ones ?

According to whose yardstick ? Use mine, and who falls "short" ?
Nah, Finesterre or Muxia don't count. Neither does the San Salvador.
Why not ? If they're with pilgrim purpose, why not ?
I do have this one, when I was younger, from SJPdP to Leon... no compostella, do I count that? It's either 18 or 19 now for the next one... like a milestone maybe.

If you're "collecting" "Caminos", then maybe you are, yes ...

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Otherwise, my last one for me was one "Camino" -- albeit in four stages :

373 days and ~5,000K on the Provençal, Arles Way, Via Romieu/French Catalan, Camí Catalàn via Lleida / Ebro Way, Francès, Madrid Way, a lot of hors piste, one night in a Municipal on the Sureste, a few days on the Levante, one day 2 nights on the VDLP, some days switching between the Camino de San Francisco de Asís and the Camino Torres, then Rota do Vale do Côa, a bit on the Caminho Nascente, the Ruta do Zêzere, a bit on the Caminho de Fátima da Beira, the Português Central, the Caminho do Fátima de Nascente, the Português Coastal, the Francès again, a short part of the Le Puy Way, and a short part of the Piémont Way, between early January 2019 and early January 2023 ; and in Winter, Spring, Summer (twice), Autumn, then Winter again.

I would NOT count each one of those sections as a separate "Camino".

For some reason U
The 88 temple pilgrimage circuit on Shikoku is about 1200km long. Shortly before Temple 88 there is a small museum of the pilgrimage. I saw this photo of a pilgrim and its caption in one of the glass cases.

View attachment 156332
View attachment 156333
For some reason I can't open the photo to read the inscription. Could someone please type it out? Thank you.

For some reason I can't open the photo to read the inscription. Could someone please type it out? Thank you.
Nakatsukasa, Mohei (1845-1922)

This extraordinary pilgrim devoted his life to the Shikoku pilgrimage, walked the route 280 times between 1867 and 1922, and erected 249 stone markers along the route, similar to the stone marker examples shown below.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back