• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How important are Gaiters on a Winter camino

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
Never worn gaiters before but I'm interested to know how important they are during a Feb - Mar camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Last edited:
How useful Gaiters will be, depends on the weather gods.

If the snow/sludge isn't deeper than the top of your boots, gaiters aren't needed. If it is, then you'll really appreciate wearing them - especially in melting snow.

Like with any other insurance, you don't need them, until you need them

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In colder weather I think they’re a useful addition to my gear. They keep the mud and dirt off my boots and pants, the grit and dust out of my boots, and my lower legs warm. Combined with a knee length poncho, everything stays dry.

Sometimes they have stayed in the pack the whole time and sometimes I have used them quite a bit - mostly for mud. I've used tall ones in winter and the short ones in warmer seasons. If you do decide to take some, make sure to try them first. Some of the shorter ones don't stay put. Also, they really can keep you a bit warmer in winter.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I made 2 lightweight sets from cut down rain trousers. Much less weight than bought ones and cheaper too ☺

A quick and dirty way to make very light and quite effective gaiters, is to take two plastic bags and four wide rubber bands. Open the bags in the bottom and slide one over each shin. Keep the bags in place with the rubber bands - one at the top and one at the bottom of each bag.

Another way, is using cling wrap to make puttees and tug the ends in. Too loose, and it will fall off. Too tight and it will be restrictive.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I always wear Dirty Girl gaiters - extremely lightweight and compact - and for extra protection spray them with a water repellent (tho they already come with that). Keep out dust, pebbles, thorns, etc., when it's dry out and will keep most wet stuff out of your boots/shoes when it's raining - probably not a complete deluge, but most. They're slightly pricey (about $30 US) but you don't have to weigh having extra weight along vs. having the water protection, because they truly don't add weight.

Never worn gaiters before but I'm interested to know how important they are during a Feb - Mar camino.
I had never worn them either. BUT in my Camino Frances, September, October 2017 I came to love them. And if you get the kind that come up to the knees they keep your calves warm and that is wonderful. They allowed me to use wonderful HOKA shoes which are not water proof and NOT get my feet wet.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm currently in Mansilla, halfway from SJPP to Santiago. I walk in a skirt with leggins. I have worn them for snow and rain protection. I am also wearing them without the strap underneath for an extra warm layer when it is cold and/or windy. I chose a ladies Rab pair that sits just under the knee. I'd say that I've worn them for periods of time on 80% of the days so far. I have not had any issues with wet boots.
They were one of the more expensive items in my pack, however they have been invaluable! Especially a few days ago when it was minus 10 degrees!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.