• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do you carry the important stuff?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We bought Fanny packs with a belt loop on the back of the pack so if someone cuts the pack belt the actual pack is still attached to your pants belt. Hope that makes sense.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have a waist bag that is flat and can be worn under clothes or over. It holds my passport, small wallet change purse, cell phone, and credential. I have also used a "neck wallet" and some people use a small bag that hangs from their belt, but inside of their pants.

I am less tempted to use my cell phone much if it is tucked under my clothes.

I used a small purse in the past but only kept enough money in it for the day. I had other places where I kept money etc so that to get it all, a thief would have to spend a lot of time finding it. However, 40 years of martial arts practice has seemingly created an aura of, "Don't mess with me," to keep such 'ne'er do wells away.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I most often just kept my cash in an accessible front pocket. My credit card and passport were in my pack.

The only times I felt that I needed to be cautious were in Burgos and in Santiago.

I wear a silk money belt under my shirt that has my bank cards and big money in it, or on travel days, my passport too. My hip pack has my glasses, phone, pilgrim pass & passport in one of those great plastic covers that Ivar sells, and small money for the day, plus a hanky for my constantly running nose, and pills that I might need during the day while walking. The money belt and my phone come into the shower with me in a plastic bag that has my towel and clean clothing in it. I sleep with my money belt on me. It is so comfy, I don't even notice it is there.
People are not going to come up and cut the belt of your hip pack on the camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hiking the Camino in May. My fiance' and I were discussing is how do we carry things like, passport, cash, ID, cell phone, etc..? She thinks a fanny pack is the way to go. To me that sounds like one stop shopping for a thief. What do you do?
The mind can get tired and forgetful on the Camino, so prefer to keep all valuables in a safe location which can be checked regularly, so inside chest pocket of a trail or light hoodie/jacket. Alternatively a silk undercover wallet would suffice.

Last edited:
I wore an under the clothes money pocket for my passport, most cash and my ATM card, all in ziplocs to keep them dry. Sweat permeated everything. I also wore a fanny pack in front with a bit of cash, the credit card and my credential. The credential was also in a ziplock. These items were with me ALWAYS. I put them in a dry bag and took them into the shower with me. The fanny pack is handy for sunglasses, sunscreen, chapstick tissue and whatever comforts I like to have with me. And my phone, which I used for pix as well as documenting the trip on Find Penguins.

Hiking the Camino in May. My fiance' and I were discussing is how do we carry things like, passport, cash, ID, cell phone, etc..? She thinks a fanny pack is the way to go. To me that sounds like one stop shopping for a thief. What do you do?
How do you look after your stuff when you are walking around your home town? That should work.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I started out with an under-the-clothes money belt but abandoned it because I get too sweaty! Ended up keeping passport and daily money with cell phone in fanny pack/bum bag, with copy of passport and rest of cash in a “bra safe”, which is a little pocket that clips onto the bra. I also kept a spare €50 rolled up in a sock inside my pack. I also brought along socks with a little zippered pocket.

The only place in the WORLD where I've had any problems with thieves is within the borders of the US.
Best to stop listening to the propaganda you hear at home, and enjoy the peace and tranquillity of the rest of the world.
Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Armed robberies are practically unheard of on the camino.
Thefts do occur from time to time, so it is best to never leave the really important stuff unattended.

I use a hip-pack with some anti-theft features like this one for passport, credencial, bank card 1, larger amount of cash, phone etc. It is on me at all times, day and night, and comes with me into the shower stall.
A small purse with the day's cash and bank card 2 is in my zippered pants pocket.
An emergency banknote is hidden in my backpack.

It is not so rare, though, that pilgrims leave bags or purses behind when making a purchase, getting a stamp or using a washroom.
So I recommend you have your phone number and e-mail address (in case your phone is lost, too) on your bag / purse / passport / credencial etc.
People will do their best to reunite you with your lost items, but they'll need to know how to contact you!

Buen camino!

The only place in the WORLD where I've had any problems with thieves is within the borders of the US.
Best to stop listening to the propaganda you hear at home, and enjoy the peace and tranquillity of the rest of the world.
Buen Camino
I’ve had a theft occur in both Spain and France. Both related to Camino travel. All one needs to do is to look at crime stats in European countries being visited to know that thefts are a problem all over the world.

USA bashing is not needed in order to make a point.

She thinks a fanny pack is the way to go. To me that sounds like one stop shopping for a thief. What do you do?
I agree with you - it's a one stop shop. Which is why for 35 years everytime I travel I spread the risk.
I wear a hidden money belt, which I sleep in. I NEVER access it in public, and it ( or it's contents, you have to wash it!) NEVER leaves me .
On Camino I'm not so worried about my passport, because an opportunistic Thief is likely after my cash and card's. So my passport, phone/ debit card, credential, and a change purse with enough money for the day (€30) go in my waist pack . Ease of access. (fanny pack doesn't go down so well with the Brits - look up the f meaning!) My main stash ( max€300 , enough for 3+ weeks - paid mainly with card for €5 + this year, plenty of info on that on other recent threads), my spare ID and a backup credit card all go in my money belt

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So I recommend you have your phone number and e-mail address (in case your phone is lost, too) on your bag / purse / passport / credencial etc.
People will do their best to reunite you with your lost items, but they'll need to know how to contact you!
Excellent point! Couldn't agree more

A small REI waist pack worked for me. Wallet, passport and pilgrim passport went closest to the body. Phone was in the front where I could reach it easily to take photos. One unexpected discovery: I liked walking without a bunch of stuff in my pockets. The only downside was that the pilgrim passport was pretty mangled by the end of our Camino; a sturdier version would have worked better.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I use a two part system. The more important an item is, the closer to me it is - at all times.

For example, first-tier item, like: Passport, money, credit cards, pilgrim credencial, multilingual ICE (in case of emergency) instructions, personal documents like insurance cards, drivers license, and cell phone - these almost never leave the cargo pockets of my hiking pants. Each pocket has a heavy duty, vertical load zip lock bag to protect the contents from full water immersion - like falling into a stream or river. It has happened to me on more than one occasion over my several Caminos. I did not go swimming, but I did get thoroughly wet.

The pants come into the shower with me to be hung immediately next to me, so I can get redressed immediately afterwards. If I am sleeping in an albergue, the pants are stuffed in my sleep sack.

The second-tier items, electronics, prescription medications and anything else that, the loss of which, could effectively end my Camino, ride in a small (3-5 liter) waterproof "belly bag" that fastens / clips to the FRONT of my rucksack harness.

When I stop for any reason, I unsnap it and use the provided shoulder strap - cross body. It always stays where I am and would be hanging under my pants, next to an albergue shower.

This 'belly bag' also serves as a waterproof protection for the previous mentioned cargo pocket contents if I am unable to hang the clothes directly next to my showering activities. During the day, when contents are moved to pants cargo pockets, the extra space is for snacks. My belly bag has two, side water bottle pockets for .5 liter water bottles.

Each person should experiment to find their idea carry solution. It is not a one-size fits all thing.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Last edited:
Fanny pack worn cross-body. Everything is at your fingertips at all times. I like it so much that I’ve continued to do it after I returned home.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Having dealt with theft of some sort for most of my first career I would say split everything and carry photo copies of all important documents.
split cards and money keeping them in different zip pockets. Split documents and copies and keep them in different places. I kept one set on me and one set in my main pack. In addition place documents like flight tickets on your phone
Passport and other ID documents such as driving licence are kept separately.
other than that be aware and avoid surveys on the Camino. Stay safe. I never felt any potential theft situations, but they happen in an instant especially when you are tired or you are distracted.

I used a small, light purse. I kept it in my pack while walking and when I stopped for coffee I'd pull it out to go inside to order and pay.

Your wallet/passport/phone etc should always be on your person. Take it with you to the shower, don't leave your valuables in your pack.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I agree with your fiancée 👍
It’s right where you can see it!! /feel it etc. Phone is right at the ready …for photos etc. Passports / Credencial / glasses /wallet. All there safe. My backpack waist belt is covering the strap .. when I take my pack off for any reason … my (bumbag/waistpack ) stays in place. No searching for important items. When I shower it comes with me there too and when sleeping I cuddle it inside my sleeping bag . Just be aware whichever method you use. Awareness is key. .
Buen camino

I started out with an under-the-clothes money belt but abandoned it because I get too sweaty! Ended up keeping passport and daily money with cell phone in fanny pack/bum bag, with copy of passport and rest of cash in a “bra safe”, which is a little pocket that clips onto the bra. I also kept a spare €50 rolled up in a sock inside my pack. I also brought along socks with a little zippered pocket.
I’m with @Gringazolana … the bra safe is where my spare credit card and emergency cash go. Someone would have to do a full body search to get to it!
Here it is, enjoying a fabulous view over the back of the Royal Albert Hall in London on a beautiful summer evening -

1EB9D71B-88F9-40EA-BC63-AE3856F1A6E2.jpeg

Ladies - buy one - they’re a great investment. The lads could use this ‘safe’ too by having a tab sewn into the inside of the waistband and looping the ‘safe’ through that.

Lots of options out there … this one has worked for me VERY successfully.

Cheers from London -
Jenny

I’m with @Gringazolana … the bra safe is where my spare credit card and emergency cash go. Someone would have to do a full body search to get to it!
Here it is, enjoying a fabulous view over the back of the Royal Albert Hall in London on a beautiful summer evening -

View attachment 154128

Ladies - buy one - they’re a great investment. The lads could use this ‘safe’ too by having a tab sewn into the inside of the waistband and looping the ‘safe’ through that.

Lots of options out there … this one has worked for me VERY successfully.

Cheers from London -
Jenny
I ended up having to caribiner the little pocket to my bra shoulder strap and then tuck it inside. If someone is that desperate (or friendly?!) to access my stash there, they probably deserve the cash and so much more! 🤣

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I ask this question because in Rome pickpockets we’re everywhere.
It is hard to pick a pocket that is hanging off your waist in front of you. My fanny pack (very light North Face bag) is strapped on first, my pack goes over the straps at the back, so can't be accessed from behind, and my pack straps go over the front straps and leave only the bag hanging right in front of me which is impossible to get to without my awareness. Sure, I can be robbed at knifepoint, but it won't be by a pickpocket. My light bag fits my credentials, a tiny purse that fits a credit card and folded over Euros, my passport, and my phone which is also my camera. When I put down my pack, my fanny pack stays on. And to the coy advice that Brits/Aussies don't use the word fanny because that is our euphemism for the vaginal area, it doesn't stop us from using the word fanny pack if it hangs from the front but we tend to prefer the word bum bag if it hangs from the back, and yes, a bum is a bottom!

Well, at least now I know where to go to access everyone's stash of good stuff. ;) Seriously though, I used a waist pack for my absolute essentials, but always kept another hidden stash somewhere else.

I ask this question because in Rome pickpockets we’re everywhere.
True, but rural Spain is not Rome. Pickpockets would starve if they had to rely on "bumping into" enough people in small villages to make a "living."
Indeed I guess it’s l
Well, at least now I know where to go to access everyone's stash of good stuff. ;) Seriously though, I used a waist pack for my absolute essentials, but always kept another hidden stash somewhere else.
Some great contraptions here! I am all for precautions but the chances of getting pickpocketed on camino seems very remote outside towns and cities . People can’t just ‘rub past you’ like they do on the subway.

As a man I put my passport, money and phone in my pockets. I know shorts designer don’t seem to think that female shorts need pockets but they do. Maybe they think women son’t need to carry money to pay for things like men do!!!

I don’t get Fanny packs. They just seem like an easy target with everything in waiting for a knife to slice thru. Do Europeans use them or just USA? I don’t know. And don’t worry about the term. For most British folks it was a ‘starter word’ largely used by schoolboys in the 70s that would mainly be seen as amusing. The main way it is used nowadays, ‘don’t fanny about’ which means ‘don’t mess around’ is the only time you hear it. About as offensive-/amusing as ‘long pants’.

And don’t forget technology. Feeze your card after an ATM withdrawal. Play around with your your contactless limits, and how many transactions you can do before you enter PIn, transfer money to a holding account and so on.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
but always kept another hidden stash somewhere else.
I do the same, but my essentials are in a crossbody bag. The hidden stash has my backup credit and debit cards which I "turn off" in my banking app. If something should happen to my primary cards I can turn them off and turn on the backups.

I don't carry a ton of cash, so I don't keep that in my "secret stash."

Scan all your documents and email them to yourself and save them on a USB. Then, if you do lose them, you have access to copies. You should obviously look after your stuff while you are travelling, but you surely look after your stuff while you commute to work, go shopping or go to the pub etc. I use a small shoulder bag (from Decathlon) with phone, camera, ID and wallet. This works so far in big cities. I keep the strap short and keep one hand on it. At night, I take it to bed with me and I can pop it into a small drysac while I shower. Once on the camino, the chances of being robbed are significantly lower, just don´t leave stuff lying around.

The camino is mostly safe but one needs to be careful. We have personally experienced one incident of theft and the cloning of a credit card. Someone else had her sleeping bag stolen in Santiago. Most of the time we stayed in municipal or cheaper albergues.

A fanny pack / moon bag is the best option. Your Pilgrim passport will be close at hand for stamping and your phone can quickly be taken out for a photo. At night when in a dormitory you sleep with your moon bag in your bed. When you go to shower you take your moon bag with you. Everything together for peace of mind and ready for the Airport too.

A secret compartment in your backpack is another good option for an extra card or cash.

Buenos camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I keep my passport, cash, bank cards, phone and credencial in ziplock plastic pouches inside the zipped pockets of my trousers. My thinking is that while I might possibly put down a bum bag, neck pouch or money belt somewhere and absent-mindedly walk off without it I am not yet at the stage where I might walk away without my trousers. Having just read this very positive story of a forgetful peregrina receiving generous help from a Navarra police officer reinforces my opinion not to keep valuables in anything that could easily be left behind.

Anything of value was in the hidden pouch in my backpack. If that was stolen I'd be in trouble anyway. Daily cash and phone in my pocket.

As I posted here before there always seemed to be better stuff lying around the hostels in open view charging than anything I might or might not have in my backpack.

Last edited:
While hiking on the Camino I do what I normally do, wallet and phones in my front pockets. My passport and extra credit cards and cash are in an over the neck pouch worn cross body. I don’t worry about it hiking because It is not an issue. In larger cities, I am very aware of my surroundings and don’t stand out as a tourist so I don’t encounter problems.

I travel full time and Spain is one of the safest countries I visit. You are not likely to be the victim of a hold up, but pick pockets are a major problem in the tourist cities. I also never leave anything of value in a hotel room regardless of where I am traveling.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I carry a Throwdown billfold with a bunch of old expired IDs and 100 euros. I put my real billfold and passport in the backpack. I have walked five different Caminos never used it yet?

Buen Camino
Here here! Walked the whole of Camino Francés last year, never a whiff of trouble in or outside of Albergues. Walking from Lisbon to Santiago in September this year, and will do exactly what I did last year, money & phone in a small pack on my backpack shoulder strap, passport in my backpack.

Scan all your documents and email them to yourself and save them on a USB. Then, if you do lose them, you have access to copies. You should obviously look after your stuff while you are travelling, but you surely look after your stuff while you commute to work, go shopping or go to the pub etc. I use a small shoulder bag (from Decathlon) with phone, camera, ID and wallet. This works so far in big cities. I keep the strap short and keep one hand on it. At night, I take it to bed with me and I can pop it into a small drysac while I shower. Once on the camino, the chances of being robbed are significantly lower, just don´t leave stuff lying around.
Good advice- and …

Know how to access your email other than via your ‘phone.

The picture which comes up on my ‘phone when switched on (whilst on Camino) shows me, in my typical walking outfit, holding a card on which is written my email address and Mrs HtD’s ‘phone number. Not my ‘phone number, obviously, as this assumes someone else is holding my ‘phone)

My precautions are against my own carelessness more than fear of theft.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Perhaps the how is as many as answers as there are persons reading this
I think the important question how willing are you to risk something happening?

I carried all my docs in a close fitting pouch worn under my shirt around waist
I slept with it and took it to shower with me or in other words it was always on me or at my hand

Early in I shouted yesshouted at my 21 year old daughter when I found she had left her Fanny pack lying on the bunk bed and went out . I didn’t want to ruin the rest of camino trying to get needed docs to go home as well as canceling cards etc

I also have copies of all docs on my phone as well as emailed them to husband and brother er before we left

If you don’t mind dealing with that stuff then don’t take precautions o th er wise. Be safe rather than sorry

I carry a Throwdown billfold with a bunch of old expired IDs and 100 euros. I put my real billfold and passport in the backpack. I have walked five different Caminos never used it yet?
I would not carry a fake wallet on a Camino, on the very remote chance that someone will order me to hand over my wallet. Instead, I would hand over the modest amount of cash and one credit card that I have accessible. (I would then cancel the credit card as soon as possible.) With the complications of real wallets and fake ones, it is far more likely that I would have my backpack stolen, or would misplace the real wallet.

I use a fanny pack which ever comes off unless I am in the shower. With two of you it should work even better.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wore 2 exact pairs of Columbia quick dry pants that zipped off into shorts. I kept my passports-(pilgrim and travel), in a ziplock bag in my left zippered pocket on thigh. My wallet in my left front pocket and my phone in my right front pocket. Never had an issue from SJPP to SDC. Used a Sea to Summit dry bag along with a Hero Clip to place my clean clothes, wallet, phone and passports when using showers. You don’t need to do the dry bag move if you take turns showering. I walked solo so I took no chances. 😉 Buen Camino.😊

I kept my passport and pilgrim passport in a neck wallet. it was easy access for getting stamps. Wallet and phone in waist pack. easy access for pictures and eating at bars. Never worried about a thief because I always wore them, even around town.

Yup I was of the same mind and have always used a 'fanny pack' (sorry that sounds soooo wrong to UK ears) for passport, money and cards. All easily to hand and all in the one place. Pretty secure against thieves ON the camino. BUT not so clever getting to the Camino I was recently pickpocketed on the metro from the airport into Porto. Not much fun finding yourself with virtually no cash, no credit cards and no passport - and on a Sunday . So I'm rethinking my security for public transport.

I brought a fanny pack which I used only at my destinations. I out all my valuables in it and wore it over my shoulder and across my body.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
On my first camino, I had just had a new front door installed, and I was acutely aware that if I lost my keys I would be in deep trouble. Fortunately my Osprey backpack has a key loop in the inside pocket, and I had one more key in my small pack with other valuables, so it was OK. But definitely have a spare house key with someone trustworthy to avoid my problem!

Wearing a money belt with your bank cards and big money is wise to do in some cities known for having a lot of pick-pockets. Worn under your shirt, it is pretty safe.
It is pretty safe HOWEVER if you are like me and you sweat a lot…you have bills, money that tend to be wet.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yep, I carried money, passport, phone, and credencial in one or more ziploc baggies. I sweat a lot, and it did rain.

For daily use, and in albergues, I carried this item:

The harness rode under my other pack straps, and I'm not so generously endowed as to make this impractical. For the times when my neck and upper back really hurt, I slipped the strap over the non-hurting shoulder. I probably got some looks carrying my "football" into the bathrooms, but so be it. Because it was front mounted, I didn't forget it anywhere.

These are all really great suggestions, I ended up using some combo of the recommendations on my first Camino this spring (some version of this question seems to be fairly regularly posted, and similar versions of the answers given, but usually some interesting new ideas so I read the threads again anyway).

My personal combo ended up using a mixture (find what's right for you!), so I won't repeat but just mention two that I didn't see.

I wore an Apple Watch and loved being able to use Apple Pay without having to open any pockets or take anything out. It worked any place where a contactless credit card could be tapped. It was also a good conversation starter in many places, ha!

I also used a lightly-padded Osprey pouch that attached to a shoulder strap on my pack. I found this useful for a keeping a few things in a ready-to-reach place (and that didn't fit in the waist pack): sunglasses, lip balm, coin purse (for when I didn't use Apple Pay), handkerchief, small packet of electrolyte capsules (used the timer on the watch to remind me to take them regularly).

The picture which comes up on my ‘phone when switched on (whilst on Camino) shows me, in my typical walking outfit, holding a card on which is written my email address and Mrs HtD’s ‘phone number. Not my ‘phone number, obviously, as this
Clever, and as is always the case with such (blindingly obvious) good idea’s, leaves me scratching my head- because I can’t believe that I’d not thought of it!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.