• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much research?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I'm wondering if it's possible to over-research the Camino before walking (I'm pretty sure that the answer is yes:p)
So far, I've been focused on gear - figuring out what will be best to bring, and not to bring.

Next, and I've already started on this, is training. First long walks without the pack, then short walks with the pack turning into longer walks with the pack.

What I'm not sure about is how much I want to research about all the different towns, villages and cities along the way. I'm thinking that maybe I'll just discover it as I go along, perhaps reading a bit from a guidebook about the next day's walk and destination. I'm afraid that if I read too much I will end up disappointed somehow - that I won't make it to a cafe that everyone recommends, or that I'll be too tired to go just a bit farther to see a beautiful little church I've read about.

With a little more than 3 months before I leave will I be able to resist the temptation to over-research?:eek:

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I concur. I like having options but, like seeing what life provides as I go way better. Good luck in enjoying the Forum and not over-researching. ;)

Figure out where you wamt to start, how many days you have to walk, book departure and return flight and that's it. Assuming your return flight is a large hub it will be easy to get to from anywhere, so just satart looking into it 4-5 days ahead of schedule, unless you think you must fly. For the rest, wing it, with a good guide book.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Figure out where you wamt to start, how many days you have to walk, book departure and return flight and that's it. Assuming your return flight is a large hub it will be easy to get to from anywhere, so just satart looking into it 4-5 days ahead of schedule, unless you think you must fly. For the rest, wing it, with a good guide book.
That's my basic plan.

I think how much research you do depends on your own preference. If you are a person who is fascinated by medieval history, or the monastic life, or the monuments and cultures of ancient Spain, you may kick yourself for years that you were actually there and you were unaware of things that you would love to see but hadn't taken the time to inform yourself about. If such things leave you cold, you can ignore the masses of information about the camino which are available and just get your gear and your body ready and plan for your first few days. However, if you discover a fascination with all things camino while walking the camino, that is an excellent reason for doing some in depth research later and coming back.

I'm wondering if it's possible to over-research the Camino before walking (I'm pretty sure that the answer is yes:p)
So far, I've been focused on gear - figuring out what will be best to bring, and not to bring.

Next, and I've already started on this, is training. First long walks without the pack, then short walks with the pack turning into longer walks with the pack.

What I'm not sure about is how much I want to research about all the different towns, villages and cities along the way. I'm thinking that maybe I'll just discover it as I go along, perhaps reading a bit from a guidebook about the next day's walk and destination. I'm afraid that if I read too much I will end up disappointed somehow - that I won't make it to a cafe that everyone recommends, or that I'll be too tired to go just a bit farther to see a beautiful little church I've read about.

With a little more than 3 months before I leave will I be able to resist the temptation to over-research?:eek:

I think if you're asking yourself the question, the answer probably is in your own reluctance to over-research - that is, you're probably right not to do too much. But it really is a personal preference thing. Some people (like me!) absolutely love digging into wherever I'm going to be travelling to beforehand, reading guide books cover-to-cover, looking up maps, getting into the history and environment etc etc. But that's just part of the experience for me - part of the fun. It's not something I do anxiously, and I don't worry about being disappointed because I never am. I've found that no matter how much I research beforehand there is always room for the unexpected, for exciting discoveries, and just for the reality of a place which can never be truly captured on the page. I did worry slightly about the amount of time I spent beforehand "walking" parts of the route on Google Street View (which is addictive!) but interestingly I found that didn't spoil anything at all - the images there are flat, two-dimensional even though they give you an illusion of walking through the landscape, so I found the three-dimensional reality quite different and unfamiliar! But anyway - all the research I do is pure enjoyment for me, and mostly not essential. So it really depends on what you enjoy - if you just love researching the places you'll be going, why not? I don't think you will be disappointed as long as you don't have the expectation that everything will be a certain way. If that makes sense.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think if you're asking yourself the question, the answer probably is in your own reluctance to over-research - that is, you're probably right not to do too much. But it really is a personal preference thing. Some people (like me!) absolutely love digging into wherever I'm going to be travelling to beforehand, reading guide books cover-to-cover, looking up maps, getting into the history and environment etc etc. But that's just part of the experience for me - part of the fun. It's not something I do anxiously, and I don't worry about being disappointed because I never am. I've found that no matter how much I research beforehand there is always room for the unexpected, for exciting discoveries, and just for the reality of a place which can never be truly captured on the page. I did worry slightly about the amount of time I spent beforehand "walking" parts of the route on Google Street View (which is addictive!) but interestingly I found that didn't spoil anything at all - the images there are flat, two-dimensional even though they give you an illusion of walking through the landscape, so I found the three-dimensional reality quite different and unfamiliar! But anyway - all the research I do is pure enjoyment for me, and mostly not essential. So it really depends on what you enjoy - if you just love researching the places you'll be going, why not? I don't think you will be disappointed as long as you don't have the expectation that everything will be a certain way. If that makes sense.
That does make sense.
I think that I'm just so excited about going that I want to immerse myself in the Camino before I even go! I can't imagine going 3 months without sneaking a virtual peak at what is ahead.
I think that a couple of threads about people looking for the "magic" and "euphoria" are causing me to consider how much preparation/research I should do. The idea of magic and euphoria hadn't previously occurred to me, and I'm not looking for either. I'm just looking forward to walking through the Spanish countryside, and hopefully meeting some kindred spirits.

That does make sense.
I think that I'm just so excited about going that I want to immerse myself in the Camino before I even go! I can't imagine going 3 months without sneaking a virtual peak at what is ahead.
I think that a couple of threads about people looking for the "magic" and "euphoria" are causing me to consider how much preparation/research I should do. The idea of magic and euphoria hadn't previously occurred to me, and I'm not looking for either. I'm just looking forward to walking through the Spanish countryside, and hopefully meeting some kindred spirits.

That sounds like an ideal attitude, Trecile. It's probably all to do with balancing information and expectations, and knowing that no one else's experience will exactly match your own. Be it blisters or bedbugs (perish the thought!) or how you feel while walking through that countryside. I think you're safe to keep researching, as long as you take everyone's descriptions of how the Camino made them feel with a pinch of salt! And then afterwards you may read something someone writes on the Forum which makes you think "that's exactly how I felt!", and that's a lovely thing to experience too.

That sounds like an ideal attitude, Trecile. It's probably all to do with balancing information and expectations, and knowing that no one else's experience will exactly match your own. Be it blisters or bedbugs (perish the thought!) or how you feel while walking through that countryside. I think you're safe to keep researching, as long as you take everyone's descriptions of how the Camino made them feel with a pinch of salt! And then afterwards you may read something someone writes on the Forum which makes you think "that's exactly how I felt!", and that's a lovely thing to experience too.
Speaking of bedbugs, while I was reading someone's packing list they mentioned that they chose a white silk liner for sleeping because it would be easier to spot the bedbugs. I was thinking that I'd like a darker color, since it would be more opaque, but now I'm thinking of white. In fact I have already ordered a white double size silk liner. Not because I wanted white or double size, but I did want something wider than the standard single width, and the double only came in white from the site I ordered from. So I figured that I would cut down the double one and then dye it in a fun color. But now maybe I'll leave it white. Another thing to overthink about. LOL.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Hello, I got the stories first hand from my wife. She walked the Camino Frances before me. I used here guide with here notes in it.
You will just do fine.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

I have told this story before and I will continue to tell it. I met a man from the United States on the Camino who had spent over six months meticulously planning his Camino. He used books, maps, and satellite images. He studied historical weather reports and elevation maps. Nothing was left to chance. He planned everything out, including pre-booking all of his hotels rooms from SJPP to Santiago. The invasion of Normandy took less planning.

As soon as he hit the Camino he immediately fell into a Camino family (there was one particular pilgrim who caught his eye). His Camino family loved him and he loved them. The only problem was that his Camino family was not moving at the pace he had so meticulously planned. One day they covered only 15 kilometers. The next day they walked 32 kilometers. They were allowing spontaneity to decide their pace and where to spend the night. Rarely did his Camino family stop in a village where he had a pre-booked hotel reservation.

What was his solution? He walked with his Camino family, stopped where they stopped for the night, got into a taxi, rushed forward (or backward) to his hotel, checked into his hotel, took a shower, changed clothes, took a taxi back to where his Camino family stopped, had dinner with them, took a taxi back to his hotel, went to bed, woke up the next morning, took a taxi back to his Camino family and resumed walking with them.

After observing this insane behavior for several days I asked him why he didn't just cancel the rest of his reservations. He told me that cancelling his remaining reservations would be an admission that his hundreds and hundreds of hours of planning were a complete waste of time. When I asked him why it was so important to remain in denial he replied that everyone he talked with about the Camino before he left warned him to relax and stop planning everything out.

I guess that it depends on what sort of a traveller you are and what you want from the Camino. Do you 'wing it' when you travel, just arriving and then seeing where the Way takes you? or are you someone who needs to plan and research and book to ensure a certainty that brings some peace of mind? Neither is better or the right way. They're just different ways of journeying.

Unless, of course, this will be your first of many Caminos and then the question is rhetorical :D and you'll have plenty of time to see and experience everything and share it with us on this forum.

@Albertagirl rightly advises that, if you have a particular fascination, some planning is a necessity. We dearly wanted to see the archaeological dig at Atapuerca but only achieved that by really winging it on a Sunday afternoon. I think that the Camino worked its magic for us that day :)

I love research, it's one of my specialities and joys, but I also like the surprises that the Road throws up at you. I am open to both.

If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans serves the Camino journey well.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I research and plan madly - then end up improvising anyway, but that's fine, because the planning is so much fun in itself.

And occasionally I have some really brilliant thing planned that I wouldn't have know about otherwise - like the time we had lunch in a Michelin-starred restaurant on the Camino de Madrid, at a price lower than we would have paid anywhere else in Europe. 22 heavenly courses for around €100 each...

€83,-
My best experience of pre Camino training results have been that for the first time ever, I had no problem with my shoulders and neck. I was carrying up to 12 kg, water included, due to a colder time of year; you might do wisely to do with less
I have always had such a sore back from any load, long trips and short, due to a Scheuerman right between the shoulderblades, but ever since my operation and the training that followed, I have become more acquainted with my back. I am training three times a week, and the money is well spent....
If you need some good advice before taking on the Camino, I think this would be it.
Do not forget your back and shoulders. You will be heaving your sack directly up from the ground, walking long sistances while balancing on muddy stretches...
and matresses are not always in the best of conditions...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I found this very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Actually, I've been researching/planning/reading and then over planning since October 2015. I start my Camino Frances the end of May. Two days ago I decided to just let everything go. I stopped researching and over reading. It was hard to do because I love the research and planning. At this point I think I've done enough and the rest will just happen. Of course I will still check in here on the forum. It's awesome.
Buen Camino

You can plan for every contingency, weigh your pack before you depart, plan each day out to the minutes, hours and kilometers to be walked, make room reservations, book a train, etc., etc., until you run into your first rain day or decide to take a rest day in some town you fall in love with. Just walk and enjoy.

Like others, I think its important to just do what makes sense to you. If you like to read about the cultural and historical aspects of the towns, then go for it. If not, then don't worry. As for the best albergues or cafes along the way - I think the best albergue is the one in the town where I am at the end of the day that has an open bed, and the best cafe is one nearby with cafe con leche and food when I am hungry :) I'm good with a map that shows the terrain and the spacing of the towns so I can have an idea of what is coming up the next day. Others like to know more, others like to know less. Its all good.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I did my first Camino in 2013 with almost zero prior research (besides where to start/end and flight reservations). I didn't know there was more than one route over the Pyrenees the first day or the different type of albergues on the Way. Didn't even have a guidebook when I got to SJPdP and heaven forbid didn't even know this forum existed :). Anyway, that first, unplanned Camino was the best one.
It's definitely something most enjoyed with a some measure of the unknown.

It is not possible to over-research the Camino. Nor is it possible for the mountains of research you may end up doing to fully describe it or completely prepare you. But learning to trust and to adapt is one of the lessons of the pilgrimage.

I recommend you consider taking a Kindle type device if you have one. That way you can have a guidebook on the Kindle, besides the map set, to help you find useful things like albergues. Also, if you carry a Kindle, and you have the Gitlitz and Davidson book (I assume here that you are planning to go on the Frances) which you may have read at home, you can look up the place you are curious about and refresh your memory. Their book is not about restaurants and places to stay, it's about history, culture, art and I highly recommend it.

Buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back