• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Excessive planning, research and expectations being set

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
I first heard about the camino about 3 years ago, just as the pandemic hit. As I’ve posted here previously, I spent an inordinate number of hours over the past three years watching youtube videos and reading blogs and books about the camino. I obsessed over all of the minutia – partly because I have a slight obsessive-compulsive disorder, and partly because I love planning trips.

So despite many comments from others warning me of the dangers of having my expectations set by watching the experiences of other pilgrims, I continued to do so, on an almost daily basis.

Now that I’ve walked the CF and returned home about a week ago, do I regret the excessive planning and research that I did?

No, and yes.

Watching youtube videos and reading blogs helped carry me though a difficult time during the pandemic. Walking a camino became the light at the end of the tunnel for me. It was what I’d think about as I got ready for work in the morning, and when I went to sleep at night. So in that respect I don’t regret all the time I spent vicariously walking caminos with others, because those were happy hours. And planning became my hobby, as did going for long training hikes, so that was positive.

That said, if I’m honest with myself I’d have to admit that, despite my efforts to avoid doing so, expectations were inevitably set before I left home. I read too many comments – on this site and others – about the various ups and downs pilgrims encounter, and in particular about the emotional aspects of walking a camino. And although I did my best to block those thoughts out, they were there in the background, causing me to sometimes question my own journey, and how I was dealing with things, and whether or not I was “failing” at my camino…

One example of this was at the Cruz de Ferro. Because so much has been published about this iconic stop along the CF I ended up consuming way too much information before leaving home. As a result, when the day came that I found myself at the foot of Cruz de Ferro I ended up spending about half an hour there watching the pilgrims, and then leaving with my stone still in my pocket. Not sure why, but the whole experience just felt too prescriptive, like there was a specific set of things I was supposed to do there, and a specific way I should be feeling, and it didn’t feel authentic to me at that moment. I ended up placing my rock many days later at a time and place that felt appropriate to me.

So did I learn any lessons about over-preparing to walk a camino? I hope so. And when I walk the next one I’m going to make a concerted effort to not research it to death before I leave. That’s going to be difficult, because as I said I love the planning and anticipation.

My advice to others planning their first camino – spend time planning which backpack and shoes are best for you, and of course how to get to SJPDP (😊), but that’s all. Let everything be a surprise, and most importantly don't bring any expectations. Don’t expect the good, the bad or the ugly. Let everything be a surprise, and then deal with those surprises authentically.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Haha... so many of us can relate! For me - the biggest think I don't do anymore is watch people's youtube videos. I had seen all of the cool sites of the CF so many times before I did my hike - there were almost no cool surpises.

I will add... the amount of "overplanning" needed varies per route. I don't think the more popular routes require a lot of planning. But - I am most certainly glad I "overplanned" my VF and would do it again and other "less popular" routes - especially those with less infrastructure.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Haha... so many of us can relate! For me - the biggest think I don't do anymore is watch people's youtube videos. I had seen all of the cool sites of the CF so many times before I did my hike - there were almost no cool surpises.

I will add... the amount of "overplanning" needed varies per route. I don't think the more popular routes require a lot of planning. But - I am most certainly glad I "overplanned" my VF and would do it again and other "less popular" routes - especially those with less infrastructure.
Agreed. I should have been clear that I'm speaking of the CF, where a lot of planning simply isn't needed. Just show up, follow the arrows, and stop to eat when hungry. It's literally that easy.

And when I walk the next one
That´s what we wanted to hear. Don´t beat yourself up about the expectations: they were created by other people and the only mistake you made was to trust other people. That´s not a bad mistake to make. Perhaps your next camino will be a less-followed route. If that is so, your experience and planning will stand you in good stead and as they are little written about you won´t have so many expectations. I know what you mean about the Cruz de Ferro. If it is any consolation, I have heard dark rumours that so much stuff is left there every year, the local council, at considerable trouble and expense, has to send in an mechanical digger and truck to get rid of it all. BTW, your ´slight OCD´ sounds well within normal parameters. Stay with us. Buen camino.

I know what you mean about the Cruz de Ferro. If it is any consolation, I have heard dark rumours that so much stuff is left there every year, the local council, at considerable trouble and expense, has to send in an mechanical digger and truck to get rid of it all.
Not to take this thread in another direction, but I was wondering about that same thing. Although the cross sits on top of a small hill, the number of small stones at the foot of the cross seems to be much smaller than what you'd expect from thousands (millions?) of pilgrims over the years leaving stones there. I thought to myself that they must haul the stones away on a regular basis, which kinda detracts from the whole spiritual nature of the place. I understand the logistical reasons for removing the stones, but it would be pretty cool if all the stones that have been left there over all the years were still in place.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I absolutely love threads where I can tell my favorite overplanning story!

On my second Camino, I met a very skilled surgeon from the United States who was a complete and total perfectionist. He spent several years planning his Camino where he read hundreds of books, consulted maps, poured over elevation charts, and looked up historical weather data. He left nothing to chance. The invasion of Normandy took less planning. He was so precise that he prebooked a room for every night of the Camino--some 40 carefully planned out reservations. In all, he spent almost a thousand hours planning out the perfect Camino. The most absolutely glorious, never been seen before, perfect Camino. It was a piece of artwork that rivaled the David or the Mona Lisa.

Then his Camino started.

On the first day he fell in with a Camino family. He loved his Camino family, and they loved him. But there was only one problem. His Camino family was being spontaneous. They were living in the moment. As a result, they would not decide on where to stop for the night until mid-afternoon at the earliest. Rarely did his Camino family stop in the same town or village where he had a reservation.

His solution? He would stop where they stopped, have a beer with them, grab a taxi, rush forward/backward to the village where he had his room, check in, shower, change clothes, grab a taxi back to his Camino family, have dinner with them, grab a taxi back to his room, sleep, get up, grab a taxi back to his Camino family, and resume walking with them. I observed this odd behavior all the way from SJPP to Leon.

Finally, one day I asked him, "Why don't you just cancel the remainder of your reservations and stay in the same village as your Camino family?" Before he responded, he looked left, looked right, and then leaned in towards me and whispered, "I don't want to admit that being a perfectionist about my Camino was a complete and total waste of time."

Simple solution, let´s start a new one: ´Cruz de Ferro, what happens to all those stones?´ I´ll check first to make sure we haven´t already got one.
Although the harsh reality of what happens to all those stones might be a bit of a spoiler for some people who find the experience of leaving a stone there to be very emotional or spiritual.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Although the harsh reality of what happens to all those stones might be a bit of a spoiler for some people who find the experience of leaving a stone there to be very emotional or spiritual.
True.

But I was kind of like you. I did leave my stone - but I felt nothing when I did it. But instead wondered - what was the point of carrying this stupid rock all the way across Spain?

True. So I put a warning at the beginning, but the thread is up now. Be interesting to see what people say.

Last edited:
I first heard about the camino about 3 years ago, just as the pandemic hit. As I’ve posted here previously, I spent an inordinate number of hours over the past three years watching youtube videos and reading blogs and books about the camino. I obsessed over all of the minutia – partly because I have a slight obsessive-compulsive disorder, and partly because I love planning trips.

So despite many comments from others warning me of the dangers of having my expectations set by watching the experiences of other pilgrims, I continued to do so, on an almost daily basis.

Now that I’ve walked the CF and returned home about a week ago, do I regret the excessive planning and research that I did?

No, and yes.

Watching youtube videos and reading blogs helped carry me though a difficult time during the pandemic. Walking a camino became the light at the end of the tunnel for me. It was what I’d think about as I got ready for work in the morning, and when I went to sleep at night. So in that respect I don’t regret all the time I spent vicariously walking caminos with others, because those were happy hours. And planning became my hobby, as did going for long training hikes, so that was positive.

That said, if I’m honest with myself I’d have to admit that, despite my efforts to avoid doing so, expectations were inevitably set before I left home. I read too many comments – on this site and others – about the various ups and downs pilgrims encounter, and in particular about the emotional aspects of walking a camino. And although I did my best to block those thoughts out, they were there in the background, causing me to sometimes question my own journey, and how I was dealing with things, and whether or not I was “failing” at my camino…

One example of this was at the Cruz de Ferro. Because so much has been published about this iconic stop along the CF I ended up consuming way too much information before leaving home. As a result, when the day came that I found myself at the foot of Cruz de Ferro I ended up spending about half an hour there watching the pilgrims, and then leaving with my stone still in my pocket. Not sure why, but the whole experience just felt too prescriptive, like there was a specific set of things I was supposed to do there, and a specific way I should be feeling, and it didn’t feel authentic to me at that moment. I ended up placing my rock many days later at a time and place that felt appropriate to me.

So did I learn any lessons about over-preparing to walk a camino? I hope so. And when I walk the next one I’m going to make a concerted effort to not research it to death before I leave. That’s going to be difficult, because as I said I love the planning and anticipation.

My advice to others planning their first camino – spend time planning which backpack and shoes are best for you, and of course how to get to SJPDP (😊), but that’s all. Let everything be a surprise, and most importantly don't bring any expectations. Don’t expect the good, the bad or the ugly. Let everything be a surprise, and then deal with those surprises authentically.
Couldn't agree more and a policy I have adhered to over many years !

Walk soft

Samarkand

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My advice to others planning their first camino – spend time planning which backpack and shoes are best for you, and of course how to get to SJPDP (😊), but that’s all.
I hope people read this.
People, forget the look-at-my-camino videos on YouTube. That won't be your camino. Maybe it eases anxiety, but that comes at a cost. Because you're only poisoning your mind with ideas of how it should be, and multiple layers of expectation. Far better to feel the anxiety ahead of time, then just go, allowing the Camino to reveal itself without all that.

"I don't want to admit that being a perfectionist about my Camino was a complete and total waste of time."
Wonderful story, @RobertS26 .
Yeah. Hopefully he took that lesson home.

Maybe its the YouTube thing? I prepared for 2 years before walking. I read lots of books and watched movies, but no YouTube videos. I don't think I knew it existed then, really. I am not sorry. I didn't over plan and I didn't book ahead. Of course I had too much stuff, like many do, and had to lighten my pack. At Cruz de Fero there was a tour bus so we just went on by and I didn't bring a rock from home so that was fine.

I think expectations are personal. I expected to walk a lot and see a lot of history. I didn't realize how much time I would have just for thinking.

Every year the Camino is different for me. Some things I can plan for and other things are new. I am a lot less uptight about things like finding a bed than I was n that first Camino, and I know that if I need something I didn't bring, I can buy it is Spain.

I prepared for 2 years before walking.

I am a lot less uptight about things like finding a bed than I was n that first Camino,
Confidence does come with practice. And the planning gets much easier. My personal speed record was looking out of a window at grey Welsh rain on a Sunday afternoon, deciding there and then to walk the VdlP and having my boots on the path by Thursday. With all travel to the airport, flight to Spain, train from Malaga to Sevilla, a bed for the first night and travel insurance all booked within an hour. You really do not need to spend years pondering every last detail. But it might take first-hand experience to convince yourself of that.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Confidence does come with practice. And the planning gets much easier. My personal speed record was looking out of a window at grey Welsh rain on a Sunday afternoon, deciding there and then to walk the VdlP and having my boots on the path by Thursday. With all travel to the airport, flight to Spain, train from Malaga to Sevilla, a bed for the first night and travel insurance all booked within an hour. You really do not need to spend years pondering every last detail. But it might take first-hand experience to convince yourself of that.
Well, actually, I forgot to say that I also had to save up the money for 2 years, too. It cost more to travel to the Camino from here than it actually did to walk in 2016...

This is what many of us "old Camino farts" have been advising for years and it was the best advice I was given before my first Camino in 2010.

I'm still wondering why people fall into that trap.

Greeting from Santiago!

Last edited:

No, and yes.

Thanks for your advice, JustJack! My very first Camino is mid-April 2024. I’ll just wait very patiently until then and expect the unexpected. I must say that I’m also quite excited about it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Agreed. I should have been clear that I'm speaking of the CF, where a lot of planning simply isn't needed. Just show up, follow the arrows, and stop to eat when hungry. It's literally that easy.
I'd say the same about the Norte. Everything you need is there. Just be flexible and accepting.
Buen Camino

I was going to walk the Podiensis from Le Puy to Cahors. I spent many wonderful hours pouring over the route, choosing Gites, trying to book them, being told they were full, changing my distances to be able to reach a Gite with vacancies. I finally had every night secured. But… it was 2020 and the following day our borders closed and I had to cancel it all.
Was it wasted effort? No, I had a wonderful time thinking and planning that it was almost as good as finally walking it a few months ago.
Planning is fun and the reality exceeded expectations. In many places that I stayed I had sent a number of emails and I almost felt that I knew the hosts/ owners before I arrived, especially in Gites that I had planned to visit in 2020.
A company did all of my planning for CF and that removed much enjoyment that I could have had.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, actually, I forgot to say that I also had to save up the money for 2 years, too. It cost more to travel to the Camino from here than it actually did to walk in 2016...
Living in the UK has advantages occasionally! :) As does walking outside the main holiday seasons. Travel from my home to Seville plus insurance left me with change from £100.

My "planning" for a Porto - Santiago Camino in November is:
  1. Check the average weather for November
  2. Figure out the clothing and gear I need
  3. Book flight to Porto
  4. Start walking
I can't wait to see in real time how much I need to figure out on the fly and adapt.

Life is what happens while other people are making plans.

I do like YouTube camino videos, but as entertainment, not research. And, recognizing a place I've seen online is, to me, a little like meeting a celebrity: "Hey! I know you!"
I haven't yet watched any youtube videos now that I've returned from my camino. It will be interesting to watch some now that I've actually been to those places.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Don´t beat yourself up about the expectations: they were created by other people and the only mistake you made was to trust other people.
I agree that @JustJack should not beat himself up about the expectations he had. That is almost creating a new expectation of not having such expectations. I don't agree that they were created by other people. We each create our own expectations, and we each decide which people to trust and how to interpret their experiences.

So despite many comments from others warning me of the dangers of having my expectations set
I do remember those threads. Is there anything else that we could have said that would have helped?

I don't agree that they were created by other people. We each create our own expectations, and we each decide which people to trust and how to interpret their experiences.
One of the main problems of a forum like this with a very diverse membership. Which viewpoints or recommendations do you choose to believe and act upon? After being on the forum for a few years I have some idea of which old-timers think in similar ways to myself and have a similar approach. For many questions the range of replies is extremely wide and often so contradictory as to be of little practical use!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I do remember those threads. Is there anything else that we could have said that would have helped?
Nope, the reality is there probably isn't anything that would have kept me away from watching the endless camino videos on youtube. It was simply what I did for those three years. I'm still not sure if I fully regret it or not, because I thoroughly enjoyed those many hours. But it's not something I will repeat in the future.

Nope, the reality is there probably isn't anything that would have kept me away from watching the endless camino videos on youtube.
I am very glad in retrospect that I did not watch any videos of the Camino before my first walk. I do not want to do my travelling in advance virtually through another person's camera lens. There is a great joy in serendipity.

No, and yes.

Yes...and no. Yes to making sure you have the right shoes, the right socks, the right backpack, the least weight necessary. Practice packing and unpacking, walking with a full pack in various weather conditions. GET PACKING LISTS and choose what's right for you. Know that there are pharmacies everywhere packed to the ceiling with pilgrim needs. So much you do not need to bring with you. None of this requires long hours studying videos of various paths and sites along the way. It's meeting the most important expectation: making it to your destination.

Rather than spending hours studying places in advance, our experience on caminos and in fact all our world travels is that it's better to drink in the beauty of a particular site, take photos, make a note in your journal. Then study it when you get back. This not only keeps the camino going after you get back but motivates you to come back. We simply had to go back to various places, like Estella, Burgos and Sahagun. We had realistic expectations the second time and those were met.

Our next camino is in September in Le Puy. The only expectation that may not be met is the cuisine. We have very high expectations for that!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A lot of “Camino content” is also heavily edited - look at (or better avoid) all the social media images of quaint villages, endless vistas and happy smiles all around.

Landscapes frequently are colour enhanced or “distracting” features like electricity poles are digitally removed. Pretty pictures generate more clicks than accurate depictions of reality - including roadside rubbish, sweaty and tired pilgrims and the stark amount of “real life” you’ll encounter.

All these perfectly curated images / storylines can set you up for failure. Think of the Heavens Gates on Bali - if you look at Instagram you’ll see the perfect reflection of the gate in the water pool underneath it. Guess what, that’s a phone screen or a mirror, there’s no water there but the illusion makes for a much much nicer picture - and scores of disappointed visitors who had their expectations shattered on arrival.

I have the same 'problem' with the compulsion to plan out every step, with the fear of being unable to find accomodation always at the forefront of my mind.....also the sheer enjoyment of planning my journey and trying to imagine I'm already there! I am due to walk my 4th Camino in September and am fighting the urge to book ahead, I have booked my first night in Bayonne and my last in Madrid and my new plan is to sit on my hands until I arrive and let the joy of spontaneity lead the way 😱😁🚶‍♀️

A lot of “Camino content” is also heavily edited - look at (or better avoid) all the social media images of quaint villages, endless vistas and happy smiles all around.

Landscapes frequently are colour enhanced or “distracting” features like electricity poles are digitally removed. Pretty pictures generate more clicks than accurate depictions of reality - including roadside rubbish, sweaty and tired pilgrims and the stark amount of “real life” you’ll encounter.

All these perfectly curated images / storylines can set you up for failure. Think of the Heavens Gates on Bali - if you look at Instagram you’ll see the perfect reflection of the gate in the water pool underneath it. Guess what, that’s a phone screen or a mirror, there’s no water there but the illusion makes for a much much nicer picture - and scores of disappointed visitors who had their expectations shattered on arrival.
I had to smile reading this. Why? A number of friends and acquaintances commented to me that the worst place in terms of dashed expectations was Machu Picchu in Peru. The videos always leave you breathless. But that's because they are overhead shots. One close friend said it was a miserable up and down and then up again on stairs only to arrive at a bunch of ruins. He said that if he had to do it over again, he would be content to watch the video, or if he had money to burn, higher a helicopter and circle the place a few times.

He contrasted this to his trips to Patagonia. Despite the gorgeous scenery in videos, he said he still found every day jaw dropping with beauty and grandeur.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I had to smile reading this. Why? A number of friends and acquaintances commented to me that the worst place in terms of dashed expectations was Machu Picchu in Peru. The videos always leave you breathless. But that's because they are overhead shots. One close friend said it was a miserable up and down and then up again on stairs only to arrive at a bunch of ruins. He said that if he had to do it over again, he would be content to watch the video, or if he had money to burn, higher a helicopter and circle the place a few times.

He contrasted this to his trips to Patagonia. Despite the gorgeous scenery in videos, he said he still found every day jaw dropping with beauty and grandeur.
Exactly this! Cleverly shot drone videos, enhanced images and the bias to report the extraordinary over the mundane can set very high expectations that fall flat once you arrive in reality. While reality is still pretty it obviously has no chance of holding up to digital enhancements.

That’s why I like this forum here for Camino research - it’s much more real than a lot of content that is meant to generate an income (or an increased follower base) for the creator. The pictures posted here are usually of the holiday snap variety and not the edited in lightroom sort.

Life would be so much better with all the "influencers".

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One of the main problems of a forum like this with a very diverse membership. Which viewpoints or recommendations do you choose to believe and act upon? After being on the forum for a few years I have some idea of which old-timers think in similar ways to myself and have a similar approach. For many questions the range of replies is extremely wide and often so contradictory as to be of little practical use!
I think that it helps give the full range of options and ideas so that someone new can decide for themselves what approach appeals best and those who have walked a couple of times can try another way if they didn’t feel comfortable with their past experience.
They may have started with the everything on their back and go with the flow finding accommodation at the end of the day and have found that they felt anxious and wasted a lot of time each afternoon frantically ringing around and deciding next time everything will be booked ahead, or they might have started with a planned trip and found too bound by their plans and want to wing it next time.
Seeing even conflicting opinions gives options and suggestions that they might not have thought about.

Yes...and no. Yes to making sure you have the right shoes, the right socks, the right backpack, the least weight necessary. Practice packing and unpacking, walking with a full pack in various weather conditions. GET PACKING LISTS and choose what's right for you. Know that there are pharmacies everywhere packed to the ceiling with pilgrim needs. So much you do not need to bring with you. None of this requires long hours studying videos of various paths and sites along the way. It's meeting the most important expectation: making it to your destination.

Rather than spending hours studying places in advance, our experience on caminos and in fact all our world travels is that it's better to drink in the beauty of a particular site, take photos, make a note in your journal. Then study it when you get back. This not only keeps the camino going after you get back but motivates you to come back. We simply had to go back to various places, like Estella, Burgos and Sahagun. We had realistic expectations the second time and those were met.

Our next camino is in September in Le Puy. The only expectation that may not be met is the cuisine. We have very high expectations for that!
Le Puy is very different from Frances. If you did no research and expect it to be like Spain then you will be caught short.
I am so pleased that I planned meticulously and watched Efran’s videos. We walked in May and found almost nothing in the way of shops open for days at time and were glad that we booked picnics from our Gites. We talked to pilgrims and hikers who had planned to wing it spending all of their break time on the phone frantically trying to secure a place for the night and often needed to get a taxi well off the route. One told me that they had to stay 50kms away one night.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For our first Camino 8 years ago my husband and I did zero planning. I didn’t know about this forum or Facebook groups. Let alone YouTube videos. We had no idea how to get to SJPP. By looking at the map we thought San Sebastián on the north coast would be the closest, so we flew there. It was quite difficult to find a bus that would take us from San Sebastián to SJPP, but we figured it out. By sheer accident we stumbled into the pilgrims office where they explained the whole thing with the stamps to us and gave us a wonderful piece of paper with all the albergues on it. That was really all we needed. The rest we figured out along the way. I didn’t even bring my phone, no apps, nothing. It was wonderful!

Simple solution, let´s start a new one: ´Cruz de Ferro, what happens to all those stones?´ I´ll check first to make sure we haven´t already got one.
I'm going to wrap these two threads together, I was worried I was planning too much for my upcoming CF. But I've never heard of 'Cruz de Ferro'. 😆

No, and yes.

I will admit I like to plan and research. If I did no planning and research, there is no way I would have made the detour yesterday to see the wonderful mysterious Santalla de Bóveda. I wouldn't have known it was an option or why I should consider going 2.4 km off route. If I did no research, I wouldn't have made my way to the albergue in Bendueños, probably the nicest of this Camino. You can miss a lot of great things if you just go and let everything be a surprise because you just don't know they are there to experience.

That said, there is a difference between a plan and an expectation, just as there is a difference between a plan and a commitment. You want to hold your plans in an open palm, not a clenched fist, and not weigh them down with expectations.

I also found that I soon found myself stopping watching the YouTube videos of the Caminos I was about to walk. While I love to watch YouTube videos of people's Caminos, I guess I prefer them more for routes I've already walked, to bring back memories, than for routes that I have yet to walk, as a preview of what I will see. (The exception being channels of people I follow, which can spark interest in a route. So I watched @NadineK walk the Primitivo, which helped me plan mine.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
most importantly don't bring any expectations.
I love this @JustJack! And I love that you referenced it in relation to the Cruz de Ferro. I was actually "given" this message on my trek up to the cruz. I was walking with the question of how to live with my heart open. Out of the blue I heard: Let go of expectation, attachment and fear. Whoa! A tall order to be sure! And I carry it with me every day.

Buen "next" Camino, pilgrim! May it bring you all kinds of surprises!

I planned a lot for the the last 3 years before walking this May-June as it was my first camino. Planning was mainly for gear and clothing as I was not a hiker and for injury prevention. Mainly how to prevent blisters, which happily I never got. Expectations were left at home. Food, bunkbeds, weather, I was ready to take them as they were laid out before me on my camino. Loved the way it seemed something new unfolded for me everyday and not having any expectations on what should have happened. Now I want to another camino next year and I don't really feel the need to plan.

i'm a planner ..no harm in that however I have learnt that one of the things I do is embrace the random/unplanned aspect of the day ..it is one of the things that I love about the Camino . My work and and home life is so planned and structured so the idea of the randomness of the day is a little bit exciting/refreshing . So i do the planning but i pull back well before i leave and let go ..when friends ask me to describe it as I holiday I tell them the randomness of the days and that i Just dont know where I am going or where i stay or how far and they are always a bit surprised by my response...embrace that randomness I say

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back